Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

REST IN PEACE (Page 111 of 208)
Page / 208
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
My thoughts and prayers are with your beautiful family. May you find peace in Gods plan.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sleepdr:
Reta and Jeff,

There is little I could add to the beautiful thoughts, acts, and words already done.

Your story has touched something deep inside thousands of people. You are showing...no. You are living faith, courage, and dignity, showing the strength of the soul that we all hope we possess, but hope we never have to use.

Jeff, you were worried that you had not taught your son much. That is not true. You and Reta have taught him something far, far more valuable than you could imagine. You have, and are, teaching him character. You are showing him how to be a man, and how spouses and parents should come together in a crisis. You are showing him that it is OK to be scared. It is OK to cry. It is OK to tell people you cannot do everything by yourself.  You are showing him that courage is not bravado. It is making hard decisions with compassion; it is facing unknowns with a willingness to see where our Creator will lead you.

You have made this doctor, who sees suffering daily, change some direction in his life. Because of you, I remember to stop and tousle my sons' hair a bit longer. I will give them an extra hug in memory of those that you may not be able to do until we all pass again from this mortal existence.  I spend a little longer talking to families about their fears and hopes, and share my story of sitting awake all night at my mother's bedside and wife's bedside as they waged their battles with cancer.

Jeff, thank you for your service to the country. Even more, thank you for your service to your fellow man. You have softened many hearts and been part of motivating so many others to do good. That is a legacy that surpasses any fleeting mortal achievement.

May you all find peace through this most harrowing time.  Thank you for showing us all what it means to have your soul pass through the refining fire of life's challenges.

"Be strong, and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for The Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
-Joshua 1:9
View Quote

Well said Doc, well said.

More thoughts and prayers out for the Reed family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Jeff and Reta, I've been following this since it first posted, and have been praying since the beginning.  You two have been an inspiration to me, and all I've shared this with.  I've seen God work in mysterious ways, and this is one of them.  So many people from so many different backgrounds, faiths, beliefs, economic situations, and ideologies have come together to support you in every way possible.  May you continue to feel His presense in the hours and days ahead.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Back to page one
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been following this thread from the start but did not post anything as I have no words that could be said any better than those already said by many others.
Words still fail me but I have you and your family in my heart and my prayers.
Seek God for comfort and peace and he will provide.
God bless!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeff / Reta,

I continue to pray for you every day. May God bless and have mercy on your family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LMTRocks] [#7]
It appears I have some good news to bring today.

Your M1A has arrived Jeff

Now get well and go get your gun

There should be 4-20rd and 2-10rd mags in the box.

Make sure there are, and if anyone at Cabelas says otherwise, tell them to email me.  My email is in the note inside the box.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LMTRocks:

Make sure there are, and if anyone at Cabelas says otherwise, tell them to email me.  My email is in the note inside the box.
View Quote

That is an awesome gift. LMTRocks, rocks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Thank you, Anvil.

I wanted to find a way to answer that "calling" and when I read this at the bottom of page 3:
Originally Posted By Tekpc007:
Christ be with you sir.

I think we need to buy this mans son a rifle , what say the hive?

That did it.  I work for a FFL and we took this rifle in on trade several months ago.

I immediately started drooling over it since I'm a huge fan of the M1A and anything that makes it similar to an AR (read VLTOR chassis) made it even more appealing to me.

Little did I expect that there'd be a larger story involving it 5 months later.
A dear friend of mine actually bought that rifle for me, and he's as much a part of this story as I am.  I asked him if I could send it, and he said I could do whatever I wanted to with it.

It's not me that is praiseworthy here---I couldn't do this on my own.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep thinking of this.  

John 11:25-26

" Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Hang in there you guys.

Reta, I know we all want to know as much as possible as often as possible, but you have one big job to do.  That one's more important than this one.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Why hasn't he logged in since the 3rd??
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SleeperShooter:
View Quote

back in the hospital. See page 109. I believe it is for an update from his wife.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodn] [#14]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By FW_wife:
Tonight's update... Who knew being married could be so hard. If you haven't yet, you might just want to have "the talk" with your spouse and loved ones. Hopefully your end is far in the future, but you just never know.

Jeff has advance directives in place, signed six weeks ago. Maybe if the hospital had known about his wishes, he wouldn't have been intubated and on the ventilator, I don't know. But we are here now and decisions need to be made. If you take all feeling out of the situation, decisions are pretty cut and dry. If you love Jeff like I love Jeff, you just can't take emotions out of this. When you sign your own papers and indicate how you would like to be cared for if faced with a terminal or irreversible condition, you may make that decision like it's a no-brainer. 'Of course I don't want to be kept alive artificially if there is no cure...' 'Of course I don't want to be a vegetable...' But with the passage of time and other things that happen, would your wishes change? With Jeff on the ventilator, he can't tell us what he wants. He can't ask questions. They can lighten sedation and he can nod or shake his head to yes/no questions - but he's groggy. Do you really take his answers to be well thought-out? What's going on in that fuzzy-haired head of his?
So I've decided to hold off on radiation and anything else until he can be weaned off the ventilator. He is still on blood pressure medicine, antibiotics, saline, sedation, pain killer, etc., etc. You see all the IV lines going on. I'm told he is not on the ventilator because he has or had a breathing problem, but because he was bleeding. With the bleeding stopped, at least for now, it seems reasonable to attempt to get him off the ventilator. I'd hate to not give him a chance to talk to us again.

There is the possibility that things could go south after he is off the ventilator. In that event, he would not be resuscitated and his wishes for no life-sustaining measures would be honored. He's been through hell and back. He has a strong spirit, but his body is damn tired. He has suffered so much already with the effects of chemo, the pain and sickness. My only hope is for compassionate and merciful care. No more gallon bags of chemo. No more barf bags in my purse. No more pain pills that offer little relief. He deserves better.

PS - We've received Jeff's trigger from Geissele and all the wonderful swag too. THANK YOU! We have a box of ARFCOM swag too. Thank you! (We will never be hatless. I just may have to bedazzle my car with all the stickers too.) Thank you also to Christian for the box FULL of German snacks and candies, non-alcoholic beer, toy pirate ship, money, etc. Travis adores the pirate ship! Thank you to xcrmonger for the bad-ass penguin. I plan to post it here soon. It should be shared Dan and Heather - you are a beautiful couple! Thank you and Bill and Daniel for the generous checks. Thank you to Joe for the washawaycancer soap. Thank you to everyone for the cards and letters heavy with love and sweet words of encouragement.

There is your answer sir.  

He is in a bad way and he and his family needs continued thoughts/prayers.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a tough analysis, and her strength is only matched by Jeff's.  Praying and hoping for the comfort that family so richly deserves.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Continued prayers for you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:

View All Quotes

We are praying for you both.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

View Quote

I'm not a nurse, and don't play one on TV, either. But that's 10 or 12 IV bags, off to his right. (Our left). I don't know what the record is, but they don't do all that for just a stubbed toe.

I'm hoping & praying Jeff will update us. (Which means he'll be up & about & kicking cancer's a$$ from here to Somalia and back. )
(I do appreciate the "Reta Writes Arfcom" segments. Keep them coming!)

In the meantime, go Google the Spoon Theory. That way, when I say he spending his spoons on getting better, not feeding the insatiable crowd that is the Arfcom family(), it'll make more sense.

We're doing all we can, here. I'm sure Jeff's doing the same.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By FW_wife:
Tonight's update... Who knew being married could be so hard. If you haven't yet, you might just want to have "the talk" with your spouse and loved ones. Hopefully your end is far in the future, but you just never know.

Jeff has advance directives in place, signed six weeks ago. Maybe if the hospital had known about his wishes, he wouldn't have been intubated and on the ventilator, I don't know. But we are here now and decisions need to be made. If you take all feeling out of the situation, decisions are pretty cut and dry. If you love Jeff like I love Jeff, you just can't take emotions out of this. When you sign your own papers and indicate how you would like to be cared for if faced with a terminal or irreversible condition, you may make that decision like it's a no-brainer. 'Of course I don't want to be kept alive artificially if there is no cure...' 'Of course I don't want to be a vegetable...' But with the passage of time and other things that happen, would your wishes change? With Jeff on the ventilator, he can't tell us what he wants. He can't ask questions. They can lighten sedation and he can nod or shake his head to yes/no questions - but he's groggy. Do you really take his answers to be well thought-out? What's going on in that fuzzy-haired head of his?
http://beautifuldayinparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-11-06_21-34-061-300x168.pngSo I've decided to hold off on radiation and anything else until he can be weaned off the ventilator. He is still on blood pressure medicine, antibiotics, saline, sedation, pain killer, etc., etc. You see all the IV lines going on. I'm told he is not on the ventilator because he has or had a breathing problem, but because he was bleeding. With the bleeding stopped, at least for now, it seems reasonable to attempt to get him off the ventilator. I'd hate to not give him a chance to talk to us again.

There is the possibility that things could go south after he is off the ventilator. In that event, he would not be resuscitated and his wishes for no life-sustaining measures would be honored. He's been through hell and back. He has a strong spirit, but his body is damn tired. He has suffered so much already with the effects of chemo, the pain and sickness. My only hope is for compassionate and merciful care. No more gallon bags of chemo. No more barf bags in my purse. No more pain pills that offer little relief. He deserves better.

PS - We've received Jeff's trigger from Geissele and all the wonderful swag too. THANK YOU! We have a box of ARFCOM swag too. Thank you! (We will never be hatless. I just may have to bedazzle my car with all the stickers too.) Thank you also to Christian for the box FULL of German snacks and candies, non-alcoholic beer, toy pirate ship, money, etc. Travis adores the pirate ship! Thank you to xcrmonger for the bad-ass penguin. I plan to post it here soon. It should be shared Dan and Heather - you are a beautiful couple! Thank you and Bill and Daniel for the generous checks. Thank you to Joe for the washawaycancer soap. Thank you to everyone for the cards and letters heavy with love and sweet words of encouragement.

I watched my MIL die of pancreatic cancer this summer.

I am praying for all of them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Eric802:

Read before you post.
View All Quotes

Read before you post.

It's a 111 page thread.  I don't think his question is unreasonable.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hear that he has taken a turn for the worse. I don't wish their situation now upon anyone. Having been in that situation with my Father it is the worst thing I can remember in life.

Jeff, I pray you and your family find some form of comfort and peace in these times.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Hello I just signed up today to say how nice this was of you guys.

My name is Dan im a friend of Jeff's from over at GLP.

That was a great gift from you. Wow im speechless
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]

I would like the hive to know what kind of man Jeff is.

On the first day of this thread, I called Jeff in hospital.  It was a very emotional call for both of us because my mother died of exactly the same cancer that now afflicts Jeff.

Talking about it brought back painful memories and Jeff wound up comforting me.  The man is suffering from a life threatening cancer, yet he's the one comforting a complete stranger.

Jeff is a very fine young man and we are honored to have him here on arfcom as a member.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Philligan:

View All Quotes

Welcome to the site Dan...
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#28]
People can say what they like about this ragged bunch if gun nuts, but we take care of our own. Thinking of you and your family Jeff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Korben asked me to send a few bucks.   Thoughts and Prayers,

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dorcas:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dorcas:

Read before you post.

I'm sorry if it came off that way,  It was not meant to sound rude.  

Just bumping Reta's update for him to read.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Still saying prayers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Welcome Dan,  You have a genuine friend in Jeff.  

Jeff asked for a shoulder in his time of need,  He in turn proved to be a genuine soul,  and not only opened many folks' eyes about taking life and family and friends for granted.  He was comforting others in the face of his own pains.  

I only wish I was close enough to be one of the guys blessed enough to meet Jeff in person.  

Here we are,  It is the least we can do for a member and his family in need.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Compassionate and loving God, among your many gifts, one most cherished is the love of family.

I ask, now, that you be particularly mindful of Jeff's family; hold each of them in your loving hands and care for them.

Give them courage and patience, hope and optimism; relieve their fears and anxieties.

During this difficult time, let your love sustain them, and their love for one another be a support and consolation.

Amen
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I just left Jeff.  The last time I saw him we ate meatball sandwiches at subway.  That was a little over a week ago.  My how just a little time changes things.  I read some scripture for Jeff, we prayed.  I met his wife Reta.  And his friends Ray and Carlos.  Thank you gentlemen for your service.  We listened to some Peter Frampton(great guitarist), Eagles, and some Santana I believe.  Jeff's condition is still represented by the photo his wife posted, but Jeff knew exactly who I was and what we were talking about.  He is strong dude.

God's blessings on you Jeff and Reta.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
I just left Jeff.  The last time I saw him we ate meatball sandwiches at subway.  That was a little over a week ago.  My how just a little time changes things.  I read some scripture for Jeff, we prayed.  I met his wife Reta.  And his friends Ray and Carlos.  Thank you gentlemen for your service.  We listened to some Peter Frampton(great guitarist), Eagles, and some Santana I believe.  Jeff's condition is still represented by the photo his wife posted, but Jeff knew exactly who I was and what we were talking about.  He is strong dude.

View Quote

That's a great update! Thank you, especially for us that can't make the trek.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#36]
hang in there man
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Is Jeff still on the ventilator?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Still praying for y'all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gregk135] [#39]

View Quote

Thank you for the update. You are good men for going over to be there for him and Reta. Wish I wasn't in East Tennessee or I would come that way to visit. God bless you.

And Jeff and Reta, continued prayers.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Undefined:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Undefined:

Yes he is.  I wanted to be as delicate as possible with my wording about his picture is still representative of his condition.  It's not delicate and I am sorry for being blunt, but Jeff is having to fight super hard right now.  While he may be emotionally at peace, his body is fighting a struggle.  That picture just about says it all.  Please forgive me if that is not tactful.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By gregk135:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gregk135:

Thank you for the update. You are good men for going over to be there for him and Reta. Wish I wasn't in East Tennessee or I would come that way to visit. God bless you.

And Jeff and Reta, continued prayers.

THANK YOU FOR THEM!  PRAYER IS NOT LIMITED BY MILEAGE OR GEOGRAPHY!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you for the update Lug1.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JSmith88:
People can say what they like about this ragged bunch if gun nuts, but we take care of our own. Thinking of you and your family Jeff.
View Quote

Hooah!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lug1:SNIP
Yes he is.  I wanted to be as delicate as possible with my wording about his picture is still representative of his condition.  It's not delicate and I am sorry for being blunt, but Jeff is having to fight super hard right now.  While he may be emotionally at peace, his body is fighting a struggle.  That picture just about says it all.  Please forgive me if that is not tactful.    
View Quote

Not sure how you could have worded it differently.  Thanks for being there today with him.  I would like to think many would be living vicariously through you during that time.

God bless you, Jeff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Welcome Dan, really nice to see you.  On behalf of Jeff's ARFcom Army please let us know if the family has any needs.  We are a resourceful bunch, have members all over that are willing & able to help in anyway possible.

God bless you LMT.  

Continued prayers Jeff, keep fighting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Hadn't clicked on here in awhile but I see that 2 word subject line every day and it cuts through all the background chatter like thunder.  Sorry to see his condition declining...prayers sent
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Hits very close to home here also.  I spent 4 weeks in the MICU just over a year ago, next to my mother, whose "accessories" were just about on par with Jeff's.  

In the end, medicine can only take you so far and the rest is up to God.  I pray God has a lesson in all of this and allows Jeff the opportunity to spend more time among us and with his family.  

Speaking from experience, Jeff's family and friends are just as emotionally and physically drained and need all of the help they can get to prop them up.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Back to page one,

Keep fighting!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Compassionate and loving God, among your many gifts, one most cherished is the love of family.

I ask, now, that you be particularly mindful of Jeff's family; hold each of them in your loving hands and care for them.

Give them courage and patience, hope and optimism; relieve their fears and anxieties.

During this difficult time, let your love sustain them, and their love for one another be a support and consolation.

Amen
View Quote

And Amen
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Something just came to mind.  I explained earlier that when I called Jeff, he was the one who comforted me.  I realized a few minutes ago that Jeff's courage and grace can only be the result of a very close walk with the Lord.  The man's faith was something to behold.

What I'm saying is that maybe Jeff was sent to set an example for us here at arfcom.  My prayer is that everyone here will accept the Lord into their hearts and they everyone here will love their children and their family.
Page / 208
REST IN PEACE (Page 111 of 208)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top