Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the booking/checkin/boarding process for the rail is less shitty, it'd be worth it.
View Quote

I make the trip from Ontario to Vegas quite frequently. (Usually, Vegas is a quick stop or layover, Southwest) Except for unusual circumstances, it’s an easy flight.

I can’t imagine the pitfalls of a train will make it worth while.  It will still have parking, ticketing, boarding, TSA style security issues.

My choice between flying or driving to Vegas usually comes down to “do I need a car when I get there?”  A train won’t resolve that.

However, we could debate the benefits and hassles all day.  This isn’t about any of that.  It will never come to fruition.  It’s just a money laundering scheme for inflation act money.  In ten years, without any construction they will have spent billions and announce it isn’t feasible, similar to the LA/San Fran project.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are you from Rancho too?
View Quote

Before it was cool
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait to ride it in the year 2069.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess it works if you’re visiting Vegas and just want to do a park n ride in Rancho, but completely useless if you live in Vegas heading to LA or Orange County. Am I supposed to take the train to Rancho and then figure out transportation from there?
View Quote
Yes. That's pretty much how trains work. They get you to the cities, not homes. Back in the day you'd call a cab or a friend to pick you up. Now it's an Uber.

There is a Los Angeles/Orange/Riverside County light rail system which would require you to make a transfer. There's work in progress to connect Perris to the San Diego trolley lines in Santee.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Before it was cool
View Quote

Nice. I grew up there in the 90s
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
"High Speed Rail" in the US, is that like a blazing 80MPH???
To me, the TGV at 180+MPH is true high speed rail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice. I grew up there in the 90s
View Quote

Middle, high and Harvard on the hill. Still have family back there
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rancho is my hometown. It would take us 3 hours to drive to Vegas. Shaving 1 hour from that commute is well worth the investment!
View Quote

The government shouldn't be making investments.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The left sure loves their trains for some reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subsidizing a major corp. For a business that won't make money.

Its a boondoggle to line the pockets of them and their friends.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Brightline, unlike the State of California, will actually deliver this project. What they’ve done in Florida is impressive. When Rick Scott turned down several billion in funding for passenger rail the leftists went nuts, ultimately brightline built the network with nearly zero government dollars.

Same should go for the CA to Vegas line, if there’s a true business case for the route a private sector entity will fill the void. If there’s no business case then the line isn’t needed. Shouldn’t get a dollar of government funding.
View Quote

I think there is a major difference between the two.  Brightline in Florida, at least in the Gold Coast area, used existing FEC tracks.  The California project has no existing track on this direct path.  They want to build it between the lanes of I-15.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Imagine living in a state where Rancho Cucamonga is a real city. California pisses me off
View Quote

The rich folk live in Alta Loma
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Subsidizing a major corp. For a business that won't make money.

That, but the main thing is control.  You'll only go where and when they decide to run trains.  That's a bit more difficult with personally-owned cars.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You know damn well the 3 Billion is for the feasibility study.  At the standard of ~ $2000 per INCH cost, that is 28 to 30 BILLION dollars.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#14]
How's that highspeed rail in California doing these days? How many billions got funneled from that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
While the overall cost is of these projects is astronomical, there is never a break down of  all the money that is being reaped by the industry needed for these projects.

I wish they would break down the money that goes to the various corporations, politicians (local and at the state level) who get kick backs, and other players whose livelihoods revolve around projects like this.

The sheer number of consultants, lawyers, engineers, designers, planners, etc., that is takes is absolutely mind boggling. And the companies they work for reap millions.  

It’s a game, a means to an end, and everyone is in on it in one way or the other.

Sure, some of them think these are good projects, and would have some benefit, but ultimately it’s a paycheck and any concern about the colossal waste or opportunity costs is quickly put aside.

It’s a fucking racket just as the offshore wind bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How's that highspeed rail in California doing these days? How many billions got funneled from that?
View Quote

Do the cost per inch: (hint it is $2200 for the 70 BILLION figure)

The Authority’s 2020 Business Plan shows updated cost estimates for the program which will serve as the basis for the Board of Directors to adopt an updated Program Baseline in 2021. This updated included a revised estimate of $13.8 billion meet our federal commitment to construct 119 miles of high-speed rail civil infrastructure in the Central Valley. The current cost estimate to deliver the 500-mile system linking San Francisco to Los Angeles/Anaheim via the Central Valley ranges from $69.01 to $99.9 billion.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Isn't there an existing rail project in CA that is way over budget and years behind in construction.
View Quote

Name a high speed one in this country that wans't.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL.

They have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Rancho Cucamonga is a very weird starting point to choose.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Another $3 billion? What’s our “investment” at now, $15 billion?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rancho Cucamonga is a very weird starting point to choose.
View Quote

It’s because the railroads told them to pound sand and CA can’t afford any other route.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh look, more money laundering or something .
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes. That's pretty much how trains work. They get you to the cities, not homes. Back in the day you'd call a cab or a friend to pick you up. Now it's an Uber.

There is a Los Angeles/Orange/Riverside County light rail system which would require you to make a transfer. There's work in progress to connect Perris to the San Diego trolley lines in Santee.

https://www.rctc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/1022_Metrolink_Map.png

https://www.sdmts.com/sites/default/files/attachments/mts-trolley-system-map.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess it works if you’re visiting Vegas and just want to do a park n ride in Rancho, but completely useless if you live in Vegas heading to LA or Orange County. Am I supposed to take the train to Rancho and then figure out transportation from there?

https://www.rctc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/1022_Metrolink_Map.png

https://www.sdmts.com/sites/default/files/attachments/mts-trolley-system-map.jpg

Yep, I understand how trains work and public transportation. Used them often when I lived in Chicago or out in the suburbs to get into the city. They work great in a place like that. This system is nowhere near the same as that. It just isn’t useful for people coming from Vegas.

We stay in Anaheim, San Clemente, or Encinitas often. Many times in will be a combo of those cities while we’re out there. There is no form of public transportation that is more convenient or faster than driving. If we take the train to Rancho we would then have to figure out another train to get to any of those cities and then an Uber to get from the train stop to where we are staying. We then have no car to get around any of those not really walkable cities.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rancho is my hometown. It would take us 3 hours to drive to Vegas. Shaving 1 hour from that commute is well worth the investment!
View Quote

On a typical holiday coming back in traffic can take anywhere from 6-8 hours or more. I remember one year coming back from New years it was bumper to bumper traffic all the way back to CA.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
The people have spoken, many people says "my vote doesn't count," today politicos can vote without political ramifications, these people are frettering valuable tax dollars. If the politicos know that they will voted out the next election cycle, they would vote carefully.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The Grift Is Strong.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

On a typical holiday coming back in traffic can take anywhere from 6-8 hours or more. I remember one year coming back from New years it was bumper to bumper traffic all the way back to CA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of that is California’s refusal to add more lanes to the 15 between Primm and Barstow. Another is complete morons that just sit in the left lane holding up 30 cars behind them while the right is pretty open. And one of the biggest reasons is people completely lack the ability to plan properly. They know it’s going to be like that but all still leave around check out time on the same day. Leave a day later, or earlier and it’s fine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I rode the High Speed Rail in Taiwan a couple weeks ago. At 300kpm, it’s quite smooth and comfortable. It’s utterly fantastic there.
Even my wife who’s from there says it would never work in the USA.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Will never be finished.

I think we should look at the companies that get the contract to build it. 90% chance it is a friend or relative of the politicians who got the funding passed.

These are nothing but pork barrel grift projects.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
This is one of the few places a HSR line actually makes sense and has a chance to be self sufficient.

Of course, by the time it's built, our society will have regressed so much that Vegas and LA will be shells of their former selves.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I make the trip from Ontario to Vegas quite frequently. (Usually, Vegas is a quick stop or layover, Southwest) Except for unusual circumstances, it’s an easy flight.

I can’t imagine the pitfalls of a train will make it worth while.  It will still have parking, ticketing, boarding, TSA style security issues.

My choice between flying or driving to Vegas usually comes down to “do I need a car when I get there?”  A train won’t resolve that.

However, we could debate the benefits and hassles all day.  This isn’t about any of that.  It will never come to fruition.  It’s just a money laundering scheme for inflation act money.  In ten years, without any construction they will have spent billions and announce it isn’t feasible, similar to the LA/San Fran project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the booking/checkin/boarding process for the rail is less shitty, it'd be worth it.

I've never ridden a train that had ticketing, boarding, and security issues that airlines have and I've ridden a few.

Yes, if they make it like flying on an airplane, then it will be pointless, but if it's as simple as traveling by rail in Europe, it'll be greatly preferred over driving to LAX and taking a quick hop to LAS.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Breaking ground in 2024 and will be running by 2028. Train will cruise at 200 mph and take 2 hours to get to Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flHxE0OzUEM
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Haven't they been trying to build a high speed line from SF to LA for the past 87 years?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think there is a major difference between the two.  Brightline in Florida, at least in the Gold Coast area, used existing FEC tracks.  The California project has no existing track on this direct path.  They want to build it between the lanes of I-15.
View Quote

Partially accurate, the phase 1 constructed a dedicated track colocated within FEC right of way from south Florida  to Cocoa Beach. But the second phase from Cocoa to Orlando International was new alignment. The Tampa extension will be similar to the Vegas project in that they’ll build within state owned right of way in the middle of I-4.

Biggest difference will be dealing with all of the wacky California environmental regulations that go above and beyond traditional NEPA. Florida is an easy state to do business in, California is committed to obstructing business.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Money will all be spent and it will never  be built.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

... and one hour in TSA hell.
View Quote

I fly pretty regularly and thats a huge exaggeration. Ive never seen the lines cherrypicked by youtube pundits. Im sure they happen, just confirmation bias is confirmed.

And lol, running by 2028. Reality is gonna check hard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder what BNSF and UP have to say, they have mainlines up the Cajon Pass.

BNSF has Amtrak run up the hill a couple times a week and Metrolink during the week. They have triple track, UP has single and the hill is always busy.

SP told Amtrak to pound sand running trains over Tehachapi, UP has followed the same thinking. All Amtrak trains run the coast line north.

There's no room, it has to be a dedicated line for high speed, not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Part of that is California’s refusal to add more lanes to the 15 between Primm and Barstow. Another is complete morons that just sit in the left lane holding up 30 cars behind them while the right is pretty open. And one of the biggest reasons is people completely lack the ability to plan properly. They know it’s going to be like that but all still leave around check out time on the same day. Leave a day later, or earlier and it’s fine.
View Quote

Whatca mean... the ingenious morons have implemented the "Drive on the shoulder" lane during high traffic times... free lane with no where to pull over!

ANYTIME I go to Vegas to see family...  You leave Monday or Sunday morning BEFORE the sun is up!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
A union jobs program that will be over budget and behind schedule and never operate as claimed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Breaking ground in 2024 and will be running by 2028. Train will cruise at 200 mph and take 2 hours to get to Vegas.

View Quote
Coming back to the crazy timeline. Once built there would need to be extensive testing and safety certification before passenger ops could begin. Train guys, how long would that be? 6-8 months? More?

So the whole thing has to go from dirt to done in pretty much 4 years to be carrying passengers in 28.
The Eglinton Crosstown light rail project in Toronto broke ground in 2011 and still isn't finished.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
How many politicians and politician's family members own property for the new rail line ? The other problem is when you get to the end you still need a way to get around.  By time you check in with tsa style security and park your car at the lot where the windows get broken out and walk to the bus at the other end you could have just drove.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How many politicians and politician's family members own property for the new rail line ? The other problem is when you get to the end you still need a way to get around.  By time you check in with tsa style security and park your car at the lot where the windows get broken out and walk to the bus at the other end you could have just drove.
View Quote
The second thing is ignored by a lot of people. We have family in Cincinnati. If we drive we can go when we want and come back when we want. We can go anywhere we please in the Cincy area while there, whenever we want. If we took a train we'd  be limited to the train timetable and we'd have to rent a car (dumb because I own a car) or be reliant on Uber for getting around once there. No thanks, we'll drive.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. I'll bet that there is no fucking way that rail is finished by 2028 and it'll probably 4 times over budget.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
4-years from nothing to complete for a high speed rail? Bullshit, there's no fucking way.
View Quote

Definitely not in America. If it ever gets finished at all; it'll be like 16 years and gone over budget several times.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Last thing NV needs. It will accelerate migration to NV.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#47]
There is NO way they can thread a train between the lanes of I-15 safely

People u-turn on it out in the desert regularly...  and then you get the drunk or asleep trucker going into the center median

Imagine a 200mph train full of a few hundred people coming off the tracks after hitting a car/semi
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Governmental money laundering.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I make the trip from Ontario to Vegas quite frequently. (Usually, Vegas is a quick stop or layover, Southwest) Except for unusual circumstances, it's an easy flight.

I can't imagine the pitfalls of a train will make it worth while.  It will still have parking, ticketing, boarding, TSA style security issues.

My choice between flying or driving to Vegas usually comes down to "do I need a car when I get there?"  A train won't resolve that.

However, we could debate the benefits and hassles all day.  This isn't about any of that.  It will never come to fruition.  It's just a money laundering scheme for inflation act money.  In ten years, without any construction they will have spent billions and announce it isn't feasible, similar to the LA/San Fran project.
View Quote

Yeah the luggage checking and all that good stuff and more than twice as slow as a air liner.

Airline fare probably cheaper than the train too.

F all that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#50]
"Rail" meaning tracks, can be installed pretty fast if there's another track close by. Which there is "if" UP and BNSF let them use it.

If culverts, bridges... terrain has to be built or altered, that's time consuming. Signals can be installed at the same time and CTC, PTC... can be built in while everything else happens.

If they use regular rail lines to travel on, I would rather drive as their speed will be limited. High speed trains running on freight rail is pants on head retarded.

Amtrak is limited to 80mph on our tracks, we can at 70mph. 150+ mph isn't happening on freight lines.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top