Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A Nissan Rogue wouldn’t be a bad choice and it won’t break the bank. How many miles do expect to drive it in a year?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a used CR-V. $17k. It actually has more cargo volume than my wife’s Acura MDX. We have an almost one-year old and are happy we don’t have sedans.

I do certainly see the appeal of going bigger. I find myself lusting after Expeditions and Tahoes now that we have baby #2 on the way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Keep the Civic and save your money. I had kids, and a Civic is big enough. Put your savings into a 529 plan, which matters a lot more in the long run.

2. If you refuse to follow #1, buy a used Sienna.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really see the need for a massive vehicle just because you have a couple of kids.  We had a plain old 4-door sedan growing up, and it was fine.  Now that I think about it, my parents had a 2-door coupe with a backseat when I was little.  The four-door was a good upgrade.
View Quote

My mother drove a Beetle. It was terrible to ride in, even at eight years old.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ferrari FF obviously
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Motorcycle with a sidecar. It will fit the 3 of you, and kids love that shit!

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
4Runner all day long....the best SUV on the road, except for the Toyota Land Cruiser
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fiat?
View Quote

Can't get the panda here sadly
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Our expedition gets small quickly when we travel out of town.

Your wife will pack half the house to spend the night somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To be brutally honest, I don’t want new vehicle payments on a used vehicle. I’ve got damn good credit that I have busted my ass to maintain so I know I would get a better rate going new plus the stigma of buying used has always perturbed me even though I have done it before. Ultimately it may come down to a good used vehicle, but in this current market it’s gonna be tricky. My SIL has a 2016 Odyssey and y’all are correct in stating it’s advantages. They have loaded the family(6 total) up numerous times for vacations and still had room to spare. I’m not above getting a minivan, but I want the best bang for my buck regardless.
View Quote

Honda Odyssey: 22 MPG combined and a 429 mile range.

Toyota Sienna: 36 MPG combined and a 648 mile range.

The Odyssey will cost you $1k a year extra in fuel, and it doesn't give you anything in return.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Honda Odyssey.

V6 engine, sliding doors, proven design, regular gas vehicle (ie: no hybrid/electric like the toyota minivan), and it should be very reliable.

If you're going to get an SUV, go REALLY big or don't go at all in my opinion.  Your choices are basically suburban or expedition max.  They will cost much more than the Odyssey and they offer very few advantages when it comes to serving as a family hauler.

I learned how to drive on the family minivan and although I took some shit for it during high school, I never cared.  I knew how much utility that van provided and if I could go out and buy an Odyssey right now, I'd do it.
View Quote

False premise.

Honda J35 V6s have had issues with VCM (cylinder deactivation) for a long time now. Also, their engines are direct injection only, and their DI system is decidedly average.

Toyota hybrids have had the everloving hell beat out of them in taxi fleet service with minimal issues, and the A25 engines have dual injection which is pretty well proven to be the way to go these days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't really see the need for a massive vehicle just because you have a couple of kids.  We had a plain old 4-door sedan growing up, and it was fine.  Now that I think about it, my parents had a 2-door coupe with a backseat when I was little.  The four-door was a good upgrade.
View Quote

Was this the 2-door coupe?

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Mid 30's will get you in a lower end new Toyota van last time I looked . I looked now and a base van is $34,000 MSRP buy that and be happy for the next 300,000 miles
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Highlander with 50-80K miles.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Just buy a minivan and get it over with.  Much easier to live with than an SUV with small kids.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Just get a minivan. Nothing better to haul kids around. Ignore the haters. Sienna owner here. Dad with two toddlers.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Minivan is really the best option.  Can get used Toyota Sienna in your price range, maybe even with AWD (although you lose the spare tire with AWD).  Honda Odyssey is also a super comfortable ride with plenty of power.  Just watch out for the weak transmission, if buying used you will want to see transmission service records for fluid changes.

They drive great and can carry tons of stuff.  Very easy to load kids into car seats with the big sliding doors.  Dropping them off for school is super easy as you just press a button and the door slides open, kid gets out.

I always hated the idea of a minivan until I ended up with 2 kids and a dog.
View Quote

This x1000 @GraboidHunter speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]
1963 Plymouth Valiant

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#19]
pretty happy with our 2020 Tiguan SE R-line black. got it for 32 otd with 0% for 6.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ll state now that I don’t have a Tahoe/Expedition/4Runner budget. Low to mid $30k would be the sweet spot.
What do y’all suggest?
View Quote

Used Tahoe/Expedition.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Minivan for the win.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this the 2-door coupe?

https://images.cadar.io/7775f6c8-a064-4f43-a682-551ca6706f02/full.jpg

Monte Carlo, baby.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Was hoping for a lime green gremlin
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine picked one of those up last year, after a mo th he wished he would have gotten the sequia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota Highlander is hard to beat for a "family" vehicle.

A buddy of mine picked one of those up last year, after a mo th he wished he would have gotten the sequia

My wife and I both hate our Highlander, I regret not just buying the Tahoe like we wanted to do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Supposedly, you can stretch the time to 2012 or 2013 (whenever it was discontinued) with the 4.8 as it never went to AFM.  This being said,  was the 4.8 even available in the SUVs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used Tahoe 2000-2007.

With the 4.8 ...

Supposedly, you can stretch the time to 2012 or 2013 (whenever it was discontinued) with the 4.8 as it never went to AFM.  This being said,  was the 4.8 even available in the SUVs?

Yes, can confirm for the Tahoe / Yukon...
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#26]
My family car.

When ever we all 4 go somewhere, they stand around this.

Little one often goes to sleep.

My wife gets pissed when I call it the "family car" its the car my family uses = family car .
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
People love to hate on minivans until they get one.  Then they wonder how they lived without one.
View Quote

We have an 04 Tahoe that has been a great vehicle.
My son is 10 now and my wife just complained yesterday out of the blue about how much easier it would have been with a minivan.
Her argument was throw all the stuff and the kid in the minivan , lock the doors , then get stuff. & kid all situated / secure  while having privacy with the doors locked.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Subaru Forester
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sienna
View Quote

This, anyone saying different is plain rong.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I just bought a 2021 Escape PHEV for $37k (MSRP, yes).  It was under $30k with the fed tax rebate and I have averaged 85mpg over the last 7k miles.

The looks are meh but it has a shockingly large amount of interior space and competes with the RAV4 in most categories.  My kids are older now but it would be a great vehicle for a small family on a budget looking for a new car.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#32]
We bought our Honda CRV right before our daughter was born.  She is almost 2 years old now.  It has been great for us so far.  Lots of room for her car seat and all the stuff needed when traveling overnight.  We went to the beach last year and that was the only time I wish we had something bigger.  To get around it, we had roof rails installed so we could take a car top carrier.  That solved the issues we had getting all of our junk to the beach.

I would not hesitate getting another CRV.  We can get around 35 MPG highway, it is AWD, has some nice technology features and is comfortable to drive.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#33]
How many kids does OP have? I thought it was one 6mo boy and many of you are talking about minivans. For one kid in a car seat and possibly two adults? That is crazy. My sister hauled her grandson around in a rear facing car seat in an … Impreza. There was plenty of room for him and three adults.

My nephew has a Forester. His daughter, wife and him had no trouble getting around all over the place in the Forester. That includes some long trips.

Assuming you bought one of those convertible car seats that grows with your kid, bring it with you when looking at cars. They normally take up the most room when the kid rides backwards. Try it in the car and you will be fine with most compact cars or larger. Just make sure it fits before you buy the car.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Used Toyota is the only used car I would consider taking a chance on.

Highlander or 4Runner if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Our Hyundais have been great cars; Santa Fe and Tucson. The Santa Fe went to 225K before the trans needed rebuilt.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My wife and I both hate our Highlander, I regret not just buying the Tahoe like we wanted to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What advantage does the Tahoe have over the Highlander? Unless you're towing, I only see disadvantages.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Forgot the minivan and get a real van. The GM ones are still on a real frame with a real engine and real towing capabilities. Plenty of room for junk and more kids.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#38]
The wife is super happy with her Subaru Ascent. We drove it 4000miles the first month we had it. Get the Captains chairs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Subaru Outback or Forester.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Mini Van.  Not the coolest but the most useful and easiest.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Outback.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
a 1975 Ford Pinto
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Subaru Outback or Forester.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Odyssey if there might be a sibling.
Outback or Ascent premium if the baby making is done for sure.
Kharny
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
RAV4, outback or a Forester.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Subaru Forester
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#47]

I second the Honda Odyssey.  My wife has one.  It drives great, is as reliable as a tank (slight exception for the auto sliding doors - had one of the wires break and the labor to fix that is expensive), and it is very convenient.  Once you get over the minivan 'stigma', it's really a great car.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Mini van. Especially if you plan on having another or have family/friends with kids that you might watch.  It sucks having to take two cars if want to go somewhere while watching other kids.

Wife really wanted a small SUV not a mini van, despite my advice they really weren't any bigger than the car she had.  We got a small SUV, now a couple years later, we both want a mini van to be her vehicle.  I also don't plan on owning a truck any time in the foreseeable future, van would be nice for hauling certain things.

Hauling one or two kids around in my compact coupe never bothered me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What advantage does the Tahoe have over the Highlander? Unless you're towing, I only see disadvantages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More room for 2 adults and 3 kids, I can tow my Jeep with it. V8 power and v8 fuel mileage (as opposed to v6 power and v8 mileage). Transverse mounted engine blow to work on. The highlander is noisy on the highway and I hate the steering feel and handling.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I was going to recommend Highlander but it's more than you want to spend.
I think Rav4, CR-V and Rogue in that order.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top