User Panel

Site Notices
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 85 of 113)
Page / 113
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

As long as your presentation is good, window size is not an issue.
View Quote

Yep that’s why every competition shooter uses an RMR.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GREENMACHINE1:
Did you find the other closed version patent…
View Quote

You seem to know something, care to share?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Not to throw shade, but when people complain about the tint on the RMR, it makes wonder if they are actually shooting both eyes open/target focus.

If you use the phrase “looking through” when referring to optics on pistols it sounds like you are doing it wrong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:

As long as it doesn’t look like I’m staring at the world through a windex bottle it solves my complaints about the RMR

Not to throw shade, but when people complain about the tint on the RMR, it makes wonder if they are actually shooting both eyes open/target focus.

If you use the phrase “looking through” when referring to optics on pistols it sounds like you are doing it wrong

Yeah. Both eyes open, focused on the target, the dot gets superimposed. For whatever reason I’m super sensitive to it and the RMR is probably the worst RDS on the market when it comes to notch filters. I tried to run one as a primary on a carbine and couldn’t get past it. Switching to and eotech or Aimpoint t2 was the fix.

I haven’t spent much time with a SRO but from what I remember it was better. My speculation is the ability to easily change batteries makes trijicon put less emphasis on battery life. I’d gladly take a big reduction in battery life for a clear window.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Yeah. Both eyes open, focused on the target, the dot gets superimposed. For whatever reason I’m super sensitive to it and the RMR is probably the worst RDS on the market when it comes to notch filters. I tried to run one as a primary on a carbine and couldn’t get past it. Switching to and eotech or Aimpoint t2 was the fix.

I haven’t spent much time with a SRO but from what I remember it was better. My speculation is the ability to easily change batteries makes trijicon put less emphasis on battery life. I’d gladly take a big reduction in battery life for a clear window.
View Quote

Fair enough. If you wanted to for S&Gs, tape the front lens with blue painters tape and see if you can still target focus with both eyes open. Some people this just doesn’t work, you be one of those people where your eyes naturally focus on the dot/obscured area which the tint may force your eye to focus on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]

It’s literally an RMR with SRO sized glass and all the top load, sealed bottoms, 06 type buttons we have been looking for…but wait there is more…coming…someone at Trijicon is listening
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Is this a super sized RMR?

It’s literally an RMR with SRO sized glass and all the top load, sealed bottoms, 06 type buttons we have been looking for…but wait there is more…coming…someone at Trijicon is listening

Gigitty
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Fair enough. If you wanted to for S&Gs, tape the front lens with blue painters tape and see if you can still target focus with both eyes open. Some people this just doesn’t work, you be one of those people where your eyes naturally focus on the dot/obscured area which the tint may force your eye to focus on.
View All Quotes

I’ll give it a shot. I’ve had good luck with a 3x ACOG and using the Bindon aiming concept but almost feel like that’s easier because each eye is seeing something totally different. Instead they see pretty much the same just through a blue haze and maybe that’s where my brain gets hung up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Couldn’t that just be a training issue? I’m sure any of us can retrain our eyes to focus differently.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]

I’ll give it a shot. I’ve had good luck with a 3x ACOG and using the Bindon aiming concept but almost feel like that’s easier because each eye is seeing something totally different. Instead they see pretty much the same just through a blue haze and maybe that’s where my brain gets hung up.
View Quote

Umm, what? It's the same as the ACOG, your non-dominant eye shouldn't be looking through the optic. Not even sure how that's possible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

When I'm dry firing targets "at further distances" (just smaller in reality) I've had issues at times with my focus shifting to the dot. I did dot occlusion for a week during dryfire and it definitely let's you know when you shift your focus. It can be a good training aid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Couldn’t that just be a training issue? I’m sure any of us can retrain our eyes to focus differently.
View Quote

It's a training aid to help you remain target focused.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

View Quote

There is a small percentage of people who when the dominant eye sees the obscured lens the non-dominant automatically focuses on it. BAC does not work for them. Maybe less than 5% based on my experience. You can try working with them but it just isn’t going to happen. IMHO
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

When I'm dry firing targets "at further distances" (just smaller in reality) I've had issues at times with my focus shifting to the dot. I did dot occlusion for a week during dryfire and it definitely let's you know when you shift your focus. It can be a good training aid.
View Quote

Mine stays covered 100% of the time, even in matches.  It works for me.

My belief is that if you’re target focused like you should be, whether or not the front of the optic is covered is irrelevant.  But for me I find it helps to “force” me to focus correctly.  And even then sometimes I don’t.  Still working on it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Detn8r-Red2] [#13]

There is a small percentage of people who when the dominant eye sees the obscured lens the non-dominant automatically focuses on it. BAC does not work for them. Maybe less than 5% based on my experience. You can try working with them but it just isn’t going to happen. IMHO
View Quote

I shoot with a guy like this.  Right handed, left eye dominant.  The slight head cant for the dominant eye to pick up the target/dot is just enough to bring his non dominant eye out of line enough this doesn't work for him.  It took me forever to figure out why he couldn't pick up target focus with an occluded lens until he told me he was left eye dominant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Crawled out from under my rock today, and learned that Glock has been making optic-specific cuts at the factory.

Link to an article about the various cuts available

Of course, as is typical of Glock, they're not for sale to dirty civilians, they're only selling them in bulk to agencies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Crawled out from under my rock today, and learned that Glock has been making optic-specific cuts at the factory.

Of course, as is typical of Glock, they're not for sale to dirty civilians, they're only selling them in bulk to agencies.
View Quote

It only makes sense, really. A department buying 500 pistols cut for the same optic is one thing. Distributors and dealers trying to stock 3-4 different optic cuts for a dozen different models is quite another.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

It only makes sense, really. A department buying 500 pistols cut for the same optic is one thing. Distributors and dealers trying to stock 3-4 different optic cuts for a dozen different models is quite another.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:
Originally Posted By rb889:

Doesn’t need to be a standard stocked item, I’d just like the option of placing an order for whenever there’s a production run of the model in question.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]
A standardized mounting footprint would literally solve all these problems
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:. Yep that’s why every competition shooter uses an RMR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
A standardized mounting footprint would literally solve all these problems
View Quote

Hey-hey-hey!

Don't you go making sense like that, you're gonna get someone in trouble.

Like with Mlok vs Keymod, eventually one pattern will win out. I'm hoping for the Acro cut, or something similar to become standard, it's narrow enough to work on slimmer slides, avoids conflicting with different design internals, and a crossbolt/clamp makes more sense than the studs and screws.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

As long as your presentation is good, window size is not an issue.

How well does a Delta Point Pro handle dropped?
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

THIS should be all the text and diagrams.

ETA: PDF, 29 pages
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDS87:
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

That's big news. Any chance you have the other 25 pages of that document?

THIS should be all the text and diagrams.

ETA: PDF, 29 pages

yoink
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It crumbles like a collage student exposed to a new opinion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:31:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#23]

View All Quotes

Ask any garbage red dot owner to engage in a a drop competition until one fails and they quickly retreat back to China.

We finish when one breaks, not until then. One foot at a time onto concrete or asphalt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Bigger window vs more durable/reliable?

Yeah I will take durability and reliability every day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#26]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Ask any garbage red dot owner to engage in a a drop competition until one fails and they quickly retreat back to China.

We finish when one breaks, not until then. One foot at a time onto concrete or asphalt.
View Quote

There’s a lot to like about the DPP, but in typical Leopold fashion they fucked it up.

It has nice, clear glass and a large window.

But…..
The adjustment button is right in the way so you can’t just it and see the reticle.
The Gen 1 had the battery connections secured with fucking tape.  T A P E. On an application meant to deal with hundreds of G’s. Since been fixed but WTF?
Durability is meh. I broke one dropping it onto a carpeted floor from like stomach height. Then again I dropped one onto gravel from chest height and it was fine.

Reticles are ok. I really like the original “7.5 MOA” triangle for Steel Challenge. But that’s only because it’s not 7.5 MOA.  The base of the triangle is 21” at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#27]

There’s a lot to like about the DPP, but in typical Leopold fashion they fucked it up.

But…..
The adjustment button is right in the way so you can’t just it and see the reticle.
The Gen 1 had the battery connections secured with fucking tape.  T A P E. On an application meant to deal with hundreds of G’s. Since been fixed but WTF?
Durability is meh. I broke one dropping it onto a carpeted floor from like stomach height. Then again I dropped one onto gravel from chest height and it was fine.

Reticles are ok. I really like the original “7.5 MOA” triangle for Steel Challenge. But that’s only because it’s not 7.5 MOA.  The base of the triangle is 21” at 100 yards.
View All Quotes

But…..

Sir I'm trying to get people to destroy their trash voluntarily by issuing a challenge
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Sir I'm trying to get people to destroy their trash voluntarily by issuing a challenge
View Quote

Ohhhhhh

In that case I’m in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

But…..

Sig Romeo 1 Pro Master Race
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]
JK

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Swapped the 507k for an EPS on the P-07.

No going back now. Holy shit that's a nice window.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#32]
What is a red dot? Is it like Luke's light saber?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:

All I have is what’s going around the internet. Looks like a compact holo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_2962-2888545.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_2963-2888546.jpg
View Quote

I swear they continue to make optics uglier and gayer looking. They just can't stop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

I swear they continue to make optics uglier and gayer looking. They just can't stop.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:

All I have is what’s going around the internet. Looks like a compact holo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_2962-2888545.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_2963-2888546.jpg

I’m no fan of Eotech but this seems an odd thing to get worked up over…Aside from making the reticle a cock and balls, exactly how does an optic look “gayer”?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
For discussion:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Jesus fuck that thing is ugly.

Can we stop putting CRT's on top of our pistols. The ACRO was a gay footprint.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorCalRT] [#37]

It looks like they took the RMR, uploaded a screenshot to ms paint, created new lines to make it enclosed, then tossed the battery on top.

I'll take 2.

Edit to add details:

RMR footprint and deck height is unchanged, no need to change irons from your current rmr.

CR2032 battery, six years battery life on setting 5 (10 total settings).

Capstan Screw mounting system
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By J-Pat:

Jesus fuck that thing is ugly.

Can we stop putting CRT's on top of our pistols. The ACRO was a gay footprint.
View Quote

Yeah it is. From all the enclosed emitter optics, I think the eps looks the best.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#39]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

I’m no fan of Eotech but this seems an odd thing to get worked up over…Aside from making the reticle a cock and balls, exactly how does an optic look “gayer”?
View Quote

Why is it an odd thing to get worked over? The optic is hideous. That would negate it from my armory already. I dont care how good something is if it looks bad. It should at least look decent, but the design they went with is the equivalent of some chinese boomer who watched too much future weapons and decided to try his hand at releasing an optic for the American market.

Many new optics look ugly and it annoys me. Its just ugly ugly ugly, like new cars. All ugly. There is no sense of aesthetics anymore and it matters.

Also I do not want to believe the guy I am discussing this with is the same guy with the one of the most aesthetically pleasing sig xfives ive ever seen (fucking love that thing). You of all people should know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#40]

What scripture is gonna be on it?

I found what will be going on my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#41]

#BULK
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#42]

W8bwtfwhen
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#43]
RCR…it is smaller than the Acro, and fits the RMR footprint.
Like was mentioned already same deck
Height and they gave us battery on top as eequested
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#44]

What scripture is gonna be on it?

I found what will be going on my rifle.
View Quote

2 Kings 2:23-24
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#46]
For discussion:

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#47]
now the crowd is demanding closed emitters....
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#48]

I’ll be a buyer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Keeping the RMR footprint is smart; people won't have to wait for plates to become available or for vendors to start cutting for it.

They seem to have learned from the RMRCC shitshow.

Hopefully the screws aren't a failure point.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy
Page / 113
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 85 of 113)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top