Red dots on pistols.. (Page 86 of 113)
Page / 113
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Castillo:
A standardized mounting footprint would literally solve all these problems
View Quote

Back in the day, we thought that about cell phone chargers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Depending on the bible verse, likely 40% overpriced.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:

It looks like they took the RMR, uploaded a screenshot to ms paint, created new lines to make it enclosed, then tossed the battery on top.

I'll take 2.

Edit to add details:

RMR footprint and deck height is unchanged, no need to change irons from your current rmr.

CR2032 battery, six years battery life on setting 5 (10 total settings).

Capstan Screw mounting system
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It looks like they took the RMR, uploaded a screenshot to ms paint, created new lines to make it enclosed, then tossed the battery on top.

I'll take 2.

Edit to add details:

RMR footprint and deck height is unchanged, no need to change irons from your current rmr.

CR2032 battery, six years battery life on setting 5 (10 total settings).

Capstan Screw mounting system

is it the same RMR footprint and mounting dimensions?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

2 Kings 2:23-24
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

What scripture is gonna be on it?

I found what will be going on my rifle.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SIASL:

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy
View Quote

It appears to be real but who knows these days.  Also this RMR HD with the big window.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

View Quote

Seems so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

What scripture is gonna be on it?

I found what will be going on my rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]

The buttons seem kind of small…They couldn’t have made them bigger?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#9]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

Why is it an odd thing to get worked over? The optic is hideous. That would negate it from my armory already. I dont care how good something is if it looks bad. It should at least look decent, but the design they went with is the equivalent of some chinese boomer who watched too much future weapons and decided to try his hand at releasing an optic for the American market.

Many new optics look ugly and it annoys me. Its just ugly ugly ugly, like new cars. All ugly. There is no sense of aesthetics anymore and it matters.

Also I do not want to believe the guy I am discussing this with is the same guy with the one of the most aesthetically pleasing sig xfives ive ever seen (fucking love that thing). You of all people should know.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

I’m no fan of Eotech but this seems an odd thing to get worked up over…Aside from making the reticle a cock and balls, exactly how does an optic look “gayer”?

Why is it an odd thing to get worked over? The optic is hideous. That would negate it from my armory already. I dont care how good something is if it looks bad. It should at least look decent, but the design they went with is the equivalent of some chinese boomer who watched too much future weapons and decided to try his hand at releasing an optic for the American market.

Many new optics look ugly and it annoys me. Its just ugly ugly ugly, like new cars. All ugly. There is no sense of aesthetics anymore and it matters.

Also I do not want to believe the guy I am discussing this with is the same guy with the one of the most aesthetically pleasing sig xfives ive ever seen (fucking love that thing). You of all people should know.

I was more referring to using the term “gay” as I was previously unaware that it was possible (excepting the aforementioned glans-and-testes reticle) to give a firearm optic the appearance of being homosexual. I agree it’s ugly. If I’m being honest I think most firearms optics are fairly ugly.

I guess we just have different priorities when approaching [Hank Hill voice] firearms and firearm accessories [/Hank Hill voice]. In my opinion, Function > Form, but if you can get both that’s a bonus. To paraphrase, I don’t care how nice a gun looks if it works bad.

I also agree the P226 X-Five is a very aesthetically appealing firearm, it’s one of the reasons I bought it. The main reason I bought it though is it’s a steel frame SAO pistol with a four decade track record of reliably functioning.

But it is totally a sexy as fuck gun
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#10]

I was more referring to using the term “gay” as I was previously unaware that it was possible (excepting the aforementioned glans-and-testes reticle) to give a firearm optic the appearance of being homosexual. I agree it’s ugly. If I’m being honest I think most firearms optics are fairly ugly.

I guess we just have different priorities when approaching [Hank Hill voice] firearms and firearm accessories [/Hank Hill voice]. In my opinion, Function > Form, but if you can get both that’s a bonus. To paraphrase, I don’t care how nice a gun looks if it works bad.

I also agree the P226 X-Five is a very aesthetically appealing firearm, it’s one of the reasons I bought it. The main reason I bought it though is it’s a steel frame SAO pistol with a four decade track record of reliably functioning.

View Quote

So I dont think we completely disagree here, I agree with form over function, but there is no reason for these not to look good. I think an RMR looks decently ok, EOtechs look cool, Elcans look cool, etc. But it feels like they intentionally let a 6 year old design the optic (in referenced photo) and I dont see why it has to be that way.

And yeah, honestly when you posted the full size shot of that thing I was looking at classifieds lol. It has so much sex appeal in that color scheme.

And for the "gay" thing. I am not that old, and in my years growing up we called anything that sucked "gay". I still use it as a term of disparagement because I like to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Seems so.
View All Quotes

Seems so.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:18:50 AM EDT
[#12]

So I dont think we completely disagree here, I agree with form over function, but there is no reason for these not to look good. I think an RMR looks decently ok, EOtechs look cool, Elcans look cool, etc. But it feels like they intentionally let a 6 year old design the optic (in referenced photo) and I dont see why it has to be that way.

And yeah, honestly when you posted the full size shot of that thing I was looking at classifieds lol. It has so much sex appeal in that color scheme.

And for the "gay" thing. I am not that old, and in my years growing up we called anything that sucked "gay". I still use it as a term of disparagement because I like to.
View All Quotes

Are we still referring to the Eotech patent or the leaked Trijicon enclosed optic image? They both look ugly to me, but for different reasons.

The Eotech looks weird and ugly because all Eotechs look weird and ugly. It’s kind of their calling card, like Subaru - ugly but tough. It looks like one of their old XPS/EXPS optics updated a bit for the modern market, which is exactly what I imagine it is.

The Trijicon enclosed optic looks like a puffed-up Holosun EPS, because that’s basically what it is minus the solar panel. If you read the information in the pic it still uses a RMR footprint and bolt pattern with top-down mounting screws as opposed to the traditional rail clamp-style mounting system of most enclosed emitter optics, so they were restrained by maintaining the (relatively small by pistol optic averages these days) RMR footprint and leaving space to bring the mounting screws down through the top while doing what they could to enclose the emitter. They decided to put the battery on top to lower the window as much as possible because people would’ve complained about height over bore and ease of access to the battery tray if not, and because putting the battery on the side would’ve made it unacceptably too wide. So it’s got a bit of a bulbous top-heavy look to it similar to the Steiner MPS. And they made the adjustment buttons as large as the entire sides of the housing because…*sigh*

In both cases the form is being driven by the functionality, which in the case of firearm optics takes priority in reliability and durability, as that is (or should be, at least) their primary function - to take a beating and keep on workin’.

How would you have changed either design to reduce the gayness? Not an accusation or an attempted setup, just earnestly curious what it is you don’t like the look of and what you’d do differently
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By New2AR15s:

Sig Romeo 1 Pro Master Race
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Ask any garbage red dot owner to engage in a a drop competition until one fails and they quickly retreat back to China.

We finish when one breaks, not until then. One foot at a time onto concrete or asphalt.

There’s a lot to like about the DPP, but in typical Leopold fashion they fucked it up.

It has nice, clear glass and a large window.

But…..
The adjustment button is right in the way so you can’t just it and see the reticle.
The Gen 1 had the battery connections secured with fucking tape.  T A P E. On an application meant to deal with hundreds of G’s. Since been fixed but WTF?
Durability is meh. I broke one dropping it onto a carpeted floor from like stomach height. Then again I dropped one onto gravel from chest height and it was fine.

Reticles are ok. I really like the original “7.5 MOA” triangle for Steel Challenge. But that’s only because it’s not 7.5 MOA.  The base of the triangle is 21” at 100 yards.

Sir I'm trying to get people to destroy their trash voluntarily by issuing a challenge

You think that’s trash, I was fucking around with optics-ready P320s back when they were still making the original Romeo 1.

The Sage Dynamics review hurt my soul
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ringsting:
What is a red dot? Is it like Luke's light saber?
View Quote

@Ringsting it’s the thing that should go on top of that M19 Carry Comp in your avatar

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#15]

You think that’s trash, I was fucking around with optics-ready P320s back when they were still making the original Romeo 1.

View All Quotes

Ask any garbage red dot owner to engage in a a drop competition until one fails and they quickly retreat back to China.

We finish when one breaks, not until then. One foot at a time onto concrete or asphalt.

There’s a lot to like about the DPP, but in typical Leopold fashion they fucked it up.

It has nice, clear glass and a large window.

But…..
The adjustment button is right in the way so you can’t just it and see the reticle.
The Gen 1 had the battery connections secured with fucking tape.  T A P E. On an application meant to deal with hundreds of G’s. Since been fixed but WTF?
Durability is meh. I broke one dropping it onto a carpeted floor from like stomach height. Then again I dropped one onto gravel from chest height and it was fine.

Reticles are ok. I really like the original “7.5 MOA” triangle for Steel Challenge. But that’s only because it’s not 7.5 MOA.  The base of the triangle is 21” at 100 yards.

Sir I'm trying to get people to destroy their trash voluntarily by issuing a challenge

Ive actually had good luck with my Romeo Pro's so far on multiple guns but my EDC has an RMR
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Will definitely be in for at least one RCR. Have two Glocks that are milled for an RMR currently and will probably be adding a third soon to get in on the enclosed emitter hotness.

Still a big fan of the RMR though.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Are we still referring to the Eotech patent or the leaked Trijicon enclosed optic image? They both look ugly to me, but for different reasons.

The Eotech looks weird and ugly because all Eotechs look weird and ugly. It’s kind of their calling card, like Subaru - ugly but tough. It looks like one of their old XPS/EXPS optics updated a bit for the modern market, which is exactly what I imagine it is.

The Trijicon enclosed optic looks like a puffed-up Holosun EPS, because that’s basically what it is minus the solar panel. If you read the information in the pic it still uses a RMR footprint and bolt pattern with top-down mounting screws as opposed to the traditional rail clamp-style mounting system of most enclosed emitter optics, so they were restrained by maintaining the (relatively small by pistol optic averages these days) RMR footprint and leaving space to bring the mounting screws down through the top while doing what they could to enclose the emitter. They decided to put the battery on top to lower the window as much as possible because people would’ve complained about height over bore and ease of access to the battery tray if not, and because putting the battery on the side would’ve made it unacceptably too wide. So it’s got a bit of a bulbous top-heavy look to it similar to the Steiner MPS. And they made the adjustment buttons as large as the entire sides of the housing because…*sigh*

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExbXFvc3p5M2NqYXprdGtlOWJ1NTJvcjBva254aWFuc3B5OXU3dmcwcCZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjdD1n/LycfkVG4L6x0Y/giphy.gif

In both cases the form is being driven by the functionality, which in the case of firearm optics takes priority in reliability and durability, as that is (or should be, at least) their primary function - to take a beating and keep on workin’.

How would you have changed either design to reduce the gayness? Not an accusation or an attempted setup, just earnestly curious what it is you don’t like the look of and what you’d do differently
View Quote

agree with all points, and honestly i could draw a pic but i dont have a computer near me right now, i just dont think they needed to make it look so video game-ish. They could of gone without angled lines and made more straight body designs and kept it simple and not so angular. for example I like the rmr aesthetically. I think the shield rms looks good, the docters, etc. Its that standard mrds design. All tastes are subjective so i understand. And my initial was about that weird optic that looks like an eotech without the hood. As far as the new rmr idk how it looks as we havent seen side profiles yet but i think itll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]

agree with all points, and honestly i could draw a pic but i dont have a computer near me right now, i just dont think they needed to make it look so video game-ish. They could of gone without angled lines and made more straight body designs and kept it simple and not so angular. for example I like the rmr aesthetically. I think the shield rms looks good, the docters, etc. Its that standard mrds design. All tastes are subjective so i understand. And my initial was about that weird optic that looks like an eotech without the hood. As far as the new rmr idk how it looks as we havent seen side profiles yet but i think itll be fine.
View All Quotes

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExbXFvc3p5M2NqYXprdGtlOWJ1NTJvcjBva254aWFuc3B5OXU3dmcwcCZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjdD1n/LycfkVG4L6x0Y/giphy.gif

In my opinion most pistol optics can at best be referred to as “aesthetically unobjectionable”, and a lot of them not even that
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]

It appears to be real but who knows these days.  Also this RMR HD with the big window.
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

People are all excited for the top load battery of the RMR HD and I want is for this to work as advertised.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]

People are all excited for the top load battery of the RMR HD and I want is for this to work as advertised.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_3095-2898080.jpg
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

It does. Holosun’s been doing it successfully for years with the SCS optics
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Everyone is in a tizzy over the RCR but I’m thinking the HD might be money. Not saying the RCR isn’t, just maybe the HD might be the “Tastes great; less filling” option.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Right there with ya.

The RMR HD looks pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#24]

Everyone is in a tizzy over the RCR but I’m thinking the HD might be money. Not saying the RCR isn’t, just maybe the HD might be the “Tastes great; less filling” option.
View Quote

The HD addresses the durability issues of the SRO albeit with a slightly smaller window, but keeps the advantage of a top feed battery. It will be available with a circle dot for those who want it, I haven't seen anything verifying that a plain dot will be available, but I'm assuming it will. I'm not interested in a circle dot, but aside from that I like the HD a lot so far.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Also this.

The RMR HD should fill the niche of the ideal practical optic on a gun which plays double duty in the real world and competitive scene.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ll also point out there is no giant ring in the last advertisement, though I’m sure others noticed that as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
My body is ready to buy $300 SROs in 1-2 years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ll also point out there is no giant ring in the last advertisement, though I’m sure others noticed that as well.
View Quote

I think you’re referring to the RMR HD? I do hope that’s a user controlled feature. Don’t see a need for the circle•dot on a handgun optic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

+1. Which I could add one to my P365 XL slide.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

GET IN LINE MFER!

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#31]
All I want are 5/6MOA dot options - no circles, triangles, biohazard symbols. Is that so much to ask.

Currently shooting SRO and EPS and loving it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sunnybean:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sunnybean:

I would mount one on top of my RMR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By theguymontag:
All I want are 5/6MOA dot options - no circles, triangles, biohazard symbols. Is that so much to ask.

View Quote

New gov contracts require all reticles to be the LGBTQ+ flag, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theguymontag:

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought of y'all when I bought this Goblin Tactical sticker  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Bring on the cheap Type 2's

I want two or three mkre
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Preorder your mailbox, sell me your rmr
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Browe Optics should sue Trijicon. Their prism optic has been doing that for years.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Browe Optics should sue Trijicon. Their prism optic has been doing that for years.
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Holosun too, except they’ve already put it in a pistol optic
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

Wasn’t Browe Optics started by a former Trijicon engineer/employee? Their 4x is dang near a copy of the ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Wait…wut?

Wasn’t Browe Optics started by a former Trijicon engineer/employee? Their 4x is dang near a copy of the ACOG.
View Quote

That’s my understanding.

It’s an impressive optic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Holosun does have a better one then a type 2 rmr, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Holosun does have a better one then a type 2 rmr, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

The SCS series has multiple light sensors that work in concert to always have the perfect brightness for the lighting where you are and where your target is
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Holofag will always be trash
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#47]

The SCS series has multiple light sensors that work in concert to always have the perfect brightness for the lighting where you are and where your target is
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

SCS is a bit of a nitch optic, but I will admit I have heard it does well.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Hey, my Type 2 does this as well! Just located elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Agreed
View Quote

Wanting something to suck doesn’t make it so

https://www.sagedynamics.org/_files/ugd/7dc128_6377087e72264cd18dbcb04eea4686ce.pdf
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#50]

https://www.sagedynamics.org/_files/ugd/7dc128_6377087e72264cd18dbcb04eea4686ce.pdf
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Agreed

Do u want me to post the gif where the lens flew out and he ignored it
Page / 113
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 86 of 113)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top