Do u want me to post the gif where the lens flew out and he ignored it
View Quote

Yes please
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SIASL:

Wait…wut?

Wasn’t Browe Optics started by a former Trijicon engineer/employee? Their 4x is dang near a copy of the ACOG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

It appears to be real but who knows these days.  Also this RMR HD with the big window.

People are all excited for the top load battery of the RMR HD and I want is for this to work as advertised.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371613/IMG_3095-2898080.jpg

Browe Optics should sue Trijicon. Their prism optic has been doing that for years.

Wait…wut?

Wasn’t Browe Optics started by a former Trijicon engineer/employee? Their 4x is dang near a copy of the ACOG.

The joke here is that Trijicon sues everyone for anything that might be similar to something they do.

Browe was a Triji employee who wanted to push the tech envelope with ACOGs (battery op and other tech) and was told “NO”. So he left, and designed his own scope that was battery operated and adjusted the reticle brightness to the light level of the target. Now Triji is taking his reticle brightness adjusting idea and putting it into a pistol optic. Hence Browe should sue Triji.

I love my TA33, but the Browe 4x I owned had unbelievable glass and the reticle tech worked.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Yes please
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Yes please

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]

The joke here is that Trijicon sues everyone for anything that might be similar to something they do.

Browe was a Triji employee who wanted to push the tech envelope with ACOGs (battery op and other tech) and was told “NO”. So he left, and designed his own scope that was battery operated and adjusted the reticle brightness to the light level of the target. Now Triji is taking his reticle brightness adjusting idea and putting it into a pistol optic. Hence Browe should sue Triji.

I love my TA33, but the Browe 4x I owned had unbelievable glass and the reticle tech worked.
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

It appears to be real but who knows these days.  Also this RMR HD with the big window.

People are all excited for the top load battery of the RMR HD and I want is for this to work as advertised.

Browe Optics should sue Trijicon. Their prism optic has been doing that for years.

Wait…wut?

Uhm, the RMR has had auto adjust for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]

What video is that from?

That dude reminds me of Fred Durst
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#6]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

What video is that from?

View All Quotes

What video is that from?

Aaron Cowan runs Sage Dynamics. I actually really like him for the most part. He wrote a ton of white papers and has standardized durability testing for red dots. He also does comparisons and compiles data.

He's honestly one of the best objective sources of information, but he sure ain't perfect. He totally ignored this failure, although I'll give him credit I think it's still up on the video so he didn't blatantly try to hide it, but he wouldn't talk about it which leads me to the conclusion he was compensated.

Which is fine, BTW you're never going to get perfect data unless you pay for it and legit give zero shits about the outcome.

What kinda makes me butthurt is he hit the SRO for durability, which was totally warranted. We all know the SRO isn't a hardened optic, it's just a fantastic big open view optic. So it breaks I'm fine. In fact it makes sense. I mean I'm sure you've all seen SROs, they're great for shooting but just looking at them you can tell you better not drop them a bunch or abuse them. They're giant circles of glass of course they're going to be less rugged.

But he totally ignored this part with Holofag which raised eyebrows
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Please sir, he’s already dead!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Aaron Cowan runs Sage Dynamics. I actually really like him for the most part. He wrote a ton of white papers and has standardized durability testing for red dots. He also does comparisons and compiles data.

He's honestly one of the best objective sources of information, but he sure ain't perfect. He totally ignored this failure, although I'll give him credit I think it's still up on the video so he didn't blatantly try to hide it, but he wouldn't talk about it which leads me to the conclusion he was compensated.

Which is fine, BTW you're never going to get perfect data unless you pay for it and legit give zero shits about the outcome.

What kinda makes me butthurt is he hit the SRO for durability, which was totally warranted. We all know the SRO isn't a hardened optic, it's just a fantastic big open view optic. So it breaks I'm fine. In fact it makes sense. I mean I'm sure you've all seen SROs, they're great for shooting but just looking at them you can tell you better not drop them a bunch or abuse them. They're giant circles of glass of course they're going to be less rugged.

View All Quotes

What video is that from?

Yeah thanks to this thread, I've watched a bunch of his videos and read the reports...

The shoulder height drop test thing is better than nothing, but isn't exactly a good overall durability test. It's going to get very inconsistent results, when you only do it on one optic. It could be very misleading.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ChicagoFoodie:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ChicagoFoodie:

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
https://i.imgur.com/vOzJt8Y.jpg
View Quote

M81 shorts, check.
Glock 45 (on the list of acceptable pistols), check.
Trijicon red dot on pistol, check.

Welcome to the Citizen Elite.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah thanks to this thread, I've watched a bunch of his videos and read the reports...

The shoulder height drop test thing is better than nothing, but isn't exactly a good overall durability test. It's going to get very inconsistent results, when you only do it on one optic. It could be very misleading.
View All Quotes

What video is that from?

Honestly he's the best we've got.

I went with an RMR for 3 reasons, guys I've shot with, his tests and made in America. It is very rugged. I opted to do an RMR over a SRO because I value durability over larger and easier. I've done some abuse with mine and it's been great.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]

What video is that from?

View Quote

It was from a Shield Arms S15 Magazine review video (5:48), not a review about the optic, hence it not being discussed during that video. Maybe he should have, but I think that's important context.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

The battery operated RMRs have auto adjust that adjusts to light levels at the target?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

@WhiskersTheCat I’m sorry, all this time I thought you were speaking on this subject from a fully informed position. Apparently I was wrong.

He didn’t ignore it, it didn’t happen during his initial 2,000 round review of that optic. That’s a Holosun 507K. Here’s his video review in full:

And here’s his review of the Shield Arms S15 magazine, which is where that GIF is from. The failure happens at about the 5:50 mark:

He didn’t talk about it in the S15 magazine review because it wasn’t prosaic to the topic of that video. The lens failure happened during his long-term review process of the optic, after continuing to put rounds, drops, manipulations, and other abuse on it. If you’ve watched his other long-term optic reviews, he himself states that similar or worse failures have happened with Trijicon, other Holosun, Aimpoint, and plenty of other otherwise highly regarded manufacturer’s products.

Mechanical shit breaks, especially when you use it as roughly as he does. And a sample size of one isn’t data. That’s why I posted his most recent white paper, which does provide actual data showing that Holosun is at least as reliable and durable as Trijicon products, or that Trijicon is as prone to failures as Holosun optics. God forbid anyone in GD actually take the time to read and analyze something longer than a paragraph though.

His data-driven white paper is where I get my current list of acceptably reliable duty-rated optics, which is (in no particular order): Trijicon RMR, Trijicon SRO w/ Jagerwerks BROS, Trijicon RMRcc, any Holosun, Aimpoint Acro, Steiner MPS, Sig Romeo 2. And now for all evidence you can add Trijicon’s RMR HD and RCR to that list.

I don’t dislike Trijicon, they make good shit. And yeah, it’d be nice if Holosun was based in the US. You can dislike that it’s a Chinese-owned company, you can dislike that it’s made in China. But objective, data-driven evidence is that their products are at least as reliable and durable as Trijicon’s optics, and stating otherwise is simply factually incorrect - regardless of how many out-of-context GIFs you post.

Wanting something to suck doesn’t make it so
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

@WhiskersTheCat I’m sorry, all this time I thought you were speaking on this subject from a fully informed position. Apparently I was wrong.

He didn’t ignore it, it didn’t happen during his initial 2,000 round review of that optic. That’s a Holosun 507K. Here’s his video review in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN-kD4BRh1A

And here’s his review of the Shield Arms S15 magazine, which is where that GIF is from. The failure happens at about the 5:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkbIHx-yzw

He didn’t talk about it in the S15 magazine review because it wasn’t prosaic to the topic of that video. The lens failure happened during his long-term review process of the optic, after continuing to put rounds, drops, manipulations, and other abuse on it. If you’ve watched his other long-term optic reviews, he himself states that similar or worse failures have happened with Trijicon, other Holosun, Aimpoint, and plenty of other otherwise highly regarded manufacturer’s products.

Mechanical shit breaks, especially when you use it as roughly as he does. And a sample size of one isn’t data. That’s why I posted his most recent white paper, which does provide actual data showing that Holosun is at least as reliable and durable as Trijicon products, or that Trijicon is as prone to failures as Holosun optics. God forbid anyone in GD actually take the time to read and analyze something longer than a paragraph though.

His data-driven white paper is where I get my current list of acceptably reliable duty-rated optics, which is (in no particular order): Trijicon RMR, Trijicon SRO w/ Jagerwerks BROS, Trijicon RMRcc, any Holosun, Aimpoint Acro, Steiner MPS, Sig Romeo 2. And now for all evidence you can add Trijicon’s RMR HD and RCR to that list.

I don’t dislike Trijicon, they make good shit. And yeah, it’d be nice if Holosun was based in the US. You can dislike that it’s a Chinese-owned company, you can dislike that it’s made in China. But objective, data-driven evidence is that their products are at least as reliable and durable as Trijicon’s optics, and stating otherwise is simply factually incorrect - regardless of how many out-of-context GIFs you post.

View All Quotes

That's a lot of words to say Holofag
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]

The battery operated RMRs have auto adjust that adjusts to light levels at the target?
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

The difference between the RMR and the RMR HD is where the light sensor was mounted.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]

I present the world’s worst optic mounted on the world’s worst pistol (according to the internet). I’ve placed so much misguided faith in this combination I even removed the front sight…

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

It was from a Shield Arms S15 Magazine review video (5:48), not a review about the optic, hence it not being discussed during that video. Maybe he should have, but I think that's important context.
View All Quotes

What video is that from?

I see. It looks like a 507K. I wonder if it's the same one he had already completed the 2,000+ rounds test and several drops with?

507K isn't exactly the most robust pistol optic Holosun makes. It's definitely not going to hold up to abuse, or even routine use, as well as an RMR. They are not even the same category.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#22]

I see. It looks like a 507K. I wonder if it's the same one he had already completed the 2,000+ rounds test and several drops with?

507K isn't exactly the most robust pistol optic Holosun makes. It's definitely not going to hold up to abuse, or even routine use, as well as an RMR. They are not even the same category.
View All Quotes

What video is that from?

It is. He often does long-term reviews of optics that pass his initial 2,000 round review process. He continues with the same protocol - using the optic to manipulate the slide off barricades, dropping it every 500 rounds, confirming it held zero, etc. It’s all kept recorded and organized in his white paper I posted earlier, keeping track of round counts and issues/breakages.

Here are his 10,000 round reviews of a RMR Type 2, Holosun 509T, and Aimpoint ACRO:

Trijicon RMR Type 2 Extended Review

Aimpoint ACRO at 10K Rounds

And here’s a 20,000 round review of a RMR Type 2, likely the same one from the 10,000 round review:

Not an optic, but related to all of these reviews - here’s his video on his Agency Arms G17 after 100,000 rounds:

Agency Arms Full Build at 100K Rounds

He always adds the disclaimer that he doesn’t “review” anything from Agency Arms and I think made the same disclaimer about the FN 509 pistol because he was sponsored/financially compensated by those companies for his input and assistance
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Regarding the 507K not being as robust as the RMR - more recently he decided to split up his review process for pistol optics into “duty” and “carry” use, the duty optics being the ones expected to be more robust and durable. The review process is basically the same except only the duty tested optics get dropped every 500 rounds. When he reviewed the 507K, he hadn’t made that delineation between duty and carry optics so during the initial 2,000 round review he still dropped it every 500 rounds, and during the process of that initial review nothing broke or failed
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Regarding the 507K not being as robust as the RMR - more recently he decided to split up his review process for pistol optics into “duty” and “carry” use, the duty optics being the ones expected to be more robust and durable. The review process is basically the same except only the duty tested optics get dropped every 500 rounds. When he reviewed the 507K, he hadn’t made that delineation between duty and carry optics so during the initial 2,000 round review he still dropped it every 500 rounds, and during the process of that initial review nothing broke or failed
View Quote

Yeah I watched his info on it...

The comments I made before are my opinion, based on the fact that I own multiple RMRs and multiple 507Ks. I'm no expert by any means, but I have owned multiple designs by both trijicon and Holosun, for a few years now, and shoot them multiple times a month on pistols or rifles. I recently had a button go bad on a 507K, it's the only Holosun I've had to send in for warranty work so far.

Generally speaking, I would not be afraid to use any Trijicon or Holosun for CC and to defend myself.

Of those I've tried, here's my take on durability/reliability:
1. RMR
2. 509T
3. 507C
4. 507K
5. SRO

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Generally speaking, I would not be afraid to use any Trijicon or Holosun for CC and to defend myself.
View Quote

This is pretty much what it boils down to. I’m not advocating anyone who’s currently got a RMR on their pistol should ditch it for a Holosun product, Trijicon makes good shit. My only point is despite any animosity towards the country of origin/manufacture - duly warranted, in much case - Holosun isn’t trash. I don’t have a problem with people hating things, people, places, or anything. I just think it’d be nice if they were factually accurate while doing so.

I’m done though, I’ve said my piece. If I’m ever on the range with anyone here and the opportunity comes up y’all are more than welcome to as much trigger time on the X-Five as you please. That includes you, Whiskers
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/26DD55FA-3D2D-4480-BD3B-80F7CAF21B5D-2909931.jpg

I present the world’s worst optic mounted on the world’s worst pistol (according to the internet). I’ve placed so much misguided faith in this combination I even removed the front sight…

https://media4.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcDl3YnE0M3prYjV2YjR2aXU3eHRpYmVmZTl1eGZseWh3a2h4czFjZSZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjdD1n/3CU5tmCJy8zMoN3mMD/giphy.gif
View Quote

That's not a P320
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
What’s the latest take on the EFLX?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#28]
In on page 87

just got an Echelon and in the market for something.

If I've got an unlimited budget and want the best, what do I want?

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:29:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#29]

The difference between the RMR and the RMR HD is where the light sensor was mounted.
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

That doesn’t answer my question.

Did the battery operated RMR already have auto adjust that adjusted the reticle brightness to compensate for light levels at the target?

This isn’t a trick question, I’m asking because my knowledge is incomplete.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Did the battery operated RMR have auto adjust that adjusted the reticle brightness to compensate for light levels at the target?

This isn’t a trick question, I’m asking because I don’t know the answer.
View Quote

It would adjust for the light at the gun's position, not the target. The HD model now adjusts based on light at the target.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
In on page 87

View Quote

RMR flavor of your choice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
In on page 87

Thanks. That's the way I'm leaning
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Have you broken an optic?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

It would adjust for the light at the gun's position, not the target. The HD model now adjusts based on light at the target.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Did the battery operated RMR have auto adjust that adjusted the reticle brightness to compensate for light levels at the target?

This isn’t a trick question, I’m asking because I don’t know the answer.

Thank you.

That’s a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Thank you.

That’s a big difference.
View Quote

You're welcome!
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#36]

M81 shorts, check.

View All Quotes

M81 shorts, check.

Manual transmission too.  I wanna have his babies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

View All Quotes

M81 shorts, check.

Meh, MOS is gay as fuck.  Good luck reproducing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#38]
Originally Posted By JASIRR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JASIRR:

Nope

ETA: Well, that’s not entirely true. Haven’t broken any Holosun optics. I started fucking around with pistol-mounted RDS back when Sig had first introduced their Romeo 1 sight and it was coming pre-installed on various P320 models. That thing was junk, and I had multiple problems with them. No issues since using Holosun though
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Did the battery operated RMR already have auto adjust that adjusted the reticle brightness to compensate for light levels at the target?

View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

No, but the technology is the same. The RMR has its light sensor near the emitter to adjust the intensity depending how much light is entering near the emitter. The RMR HD has that same light sensor but mounted in the front to see how much ambient light is coming from the direction of the target.

The question raised was Browe Optics using this technology before Trijicon. The question would be when did Browe Optics use this technology and does it predate when Trijicon was using it for their first LED RMR?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

View All Quotes

M81 shorts, check.

If he was using the Glock plates then you might be right.

But he is using the FCD plate which is Elite tier. FCD plates give a nice transition from slide to optic. Also negates the use of the sealing plate since the platform seals the type 1&2 with out it. Plate is made from high end steel. His pistol is good to go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#41]

But he is using the FCD plate which is Elite tier. FCD plates give a nice transition from slide to optic. Also negates the use of the sealing plate since the platform seals the type 1&2 with out it. Plate is made from high end steel. His pistol is good to go.
View Quote

Yep. FCD is good kit, and good people on top of it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Change_Username:
What’s the latest take on the EFLX?
View Quote

Most reviewers worth listening to have not been impressed
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#43]

No, but the technology is the same. The RMR has its light sensor near the emitter to adjust the intensity depending how much light is entering near the emitter. The RMR HD has that same light sensor but mounted in the front to see how much ambient light is coming from the direction of the target.

The question raised was Browe Optics using this technology before Trijicon. The question would be when did Browe Optics use this technology and does it predate when Trijicon was using it for their first LED RMR?
View All Quotes

Whoa…

Real or deepfake?

@45-Seventy

Wait…wut?

No. The question was “who used the technology to detect light levels AT THE TARGET and auto adjusted the optic’s reticle to compensate?”

That was Browe. They did it in a prism optic, so I doubt there were any patents violated by Trijicon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Do you want me to find the clip where Stoeger talks about that happening with an SRO?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

Do you want me to find the clip where Stoeger talks about that happening with an SRO?
View All Quotes

It’s not worth it man. Trust me
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

M81 shorts, check.

Is this better ??

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Sure I believe that that's why I bought the more rugged RMR

Holofags btfo yet again
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#48]

Sure I believe that that's why I bought the more rugged RMR

Holofags btfo yet again
View Quote

45 seconds into this video.

To bad simping your gear won't make you any better at shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
FCD is a top notch company for sure!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Is this better ??

https://i.imgur.com/a1CkYbh.jpg
View Quote

Yes
Page / 113
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 87 of 113)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top