Red dots on pistols.. (Page 88 of 112)
Page / 112
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

45 seconds into this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUMYMANY9U

To bad simping your gear won't make you any better at shooting it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Sure I believe that that's why I bought the more rugged RMR

Holofags btfo yet again

45 seconds into this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUMYMANY9U

To bad simping your gear won't make you any better at shooting it.

Yeah it will I just qualified GM from simping
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Yeah it will I just qualified GM from simping
View Quote

Only if your simping for Tony Cowden
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Thing arrived.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_2539-2913021.jpg

View Quote

XC nice choice
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thing arrived.

View Quote

Is it ported and compensated? Or are those just slide cuts?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

https://www.gif-maniac.com/gifs/53/52919.gif

View Quote

The XC comes comped. I don't think Staccato does porting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:

https://www.gif-maniac.com/gifs/53/52919.gif

I see.

Not to derail or go off on a rant, but why do so many companies add unnecessary slide cuts? I don't want extra holes that just let the dirt in TYVM.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]

I see.

Not to derail or go off on a rant, but why do so many companies add unnecessary slide cuts? I don't want extra holes that just let the dirt in TYVM.
View Quote

Less reciprocating mass = easier to return to target
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

I see.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

I see.

That and aesthetics mostly. I don’t really think fully cutting through the slide provides any additional traction/benefit compared to just normal serrations
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]

I see.

View Quote

I don't like holes in my slide either. Staccato has options for both
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Yep and to keep the slide speed correct.  The more efficient or heavier the comp the more you have to cut out of the slide to make the gun run
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

Yep and to keep the slide speed correct.  The more efficient or heavier the comp the more you have to cut out of the slide to make the gun run
View All Quotes

That’s certainly one of the methods for dealing with compensated pistols. There are a combination of other factors/variables you can adjust to tune (or ruin if done poorly) the reliability of a comped gun
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RottenPumpkin] [#15]
66.66% of my 9mm pistols are now superior.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I had 1 as a novelty.  Now I need it.  I can't see that stupid front site.  
Getting old sucks
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

That’s certainly one of the methods for dealing with compensated pistols. There are a combination of other factors/variables you can adjust to tune (or ruin if done poorly) the reliability of a comped gun
View Quote

And what are the other method?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thing arrived.

View Quote

That gets me tight in the pants.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Reciprocating weight, operating spring (recoil spring, mainspring if applicable, etc) weights, and overall energy of the load you’re shooting has been my experience.

The energy that the compensator uses to counteract recoil/muzzle climb is being taken from the energy that’s generally used to fully cycle the action. It’s why a lot of people report that their pistol which was previously 100% reliable on standard pressure 115gr target loads suddenly started having weak ejection or failure to eject problems on the same ammo after adding a compensator. Once the comp robs a portion of the energy from the ammo to counteract recoil, the overall system no longer has enough energy to overcome the reciprocating weight and/or operating springs in order to fully cycle the action and put a new round in the chamber. Reduce the reciprocating weight, lighten the operating springs, and/or use loads that have a higher overall energy level and those problems will go away.

With the XC, Staccato uses slide milling cuts and a much lighter recoil spring (7 lbs if my memory is correct) to account for the energy loss due to the compensator and still keep the pistol as reliable as possible with the widest variety of factory ammunition
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Reciprocating weight, operating spring (recoil spring, mainspring if applicable, etc) weights, and overall energy of the load you’re shooting has been my experience.

The energy that the compensator uses to counteract recoil/muzzle climb is being taken from the energy that’s generally used to fully cycle the action. It’s why a lot of people report that their pistol which was previously 100% reliable on standard pressure 115gr target loads suddenly started having weak ejection or failure to eject problems on the same ammo after adding a compensator. Once the comp robs a portion of the energy from the ammo to counteract recoil, the overall system no longer has enough energy to overcome the reciprocating weight and/or operating springs in order to fully cycle the action and put a new round in the chamber. Reduce the reciprocating weight, lighten the operating springs, and/or use loads that have a higher overall energy level and those problems will go away.

With the XC, Staccato uses slide milling cuts and a much lighter recoil spring (7 lbs if my memory is correct) to account for the energy loss due to the compensator and still keep the pistol as reliable as possible with the widest variety of factory ammunition
View Quote

Good God no. That's is completely wrong.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

How did you like the new one?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#23]

View All Quotes

I cannot state how annoyingly often people seem to think “I’m right you’re wrong” is a cogent, useful argument on this god forsaken website.

If I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. But it would help me and all the other members here if you further explained your assertion
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#24]

I disagree, but it would be helpful to better understand what I’m disagreeing with if you explained your assertion beyond “that’s completely wrong”
View Quote

A comp is not stealing energy. It is requiring more energy for the overall system to reliably cycle.

Adding a comp does not reduce the amount of rearward pressure that the gasses apply in the breach face.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#25]

A comp is not stealing energy. It is requiring more energy for the overall system to reliably cycle.

Adding a comp does not reduce the amount of rearward pressure that the gasses apply in the breach face.
View All Quotes

I disagree, but it would be helpful to better understand what I'm disagreeing with if you explained your assertion beyond "that's completely wrong"

Correct, it doesn't reduce the rearward pressure, it counteracts it.  But the effect is still the same, you need to lighten your spring pressure and/or your reciprocating mass, and/or increase the pressure of your ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By November5:
Correct, it doesn't reduce the rearward pressure, it counteracts it.
View Quote

It counteracts it in terms of the entire system, but it doesn't reduce the force going into the slide (ie cycling). A barrel with a mounted comp is going to require more energy to move, hence the need for more energy. The comp isn't stealing any of the force that would be used for cycling and putting it towards recoil or muzzle flip reduction though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]

It counteracts it in terms of the entire system, but it doesn't reduce the force going into the slide (ie cycling). A barrel with a mounted comp is going to require more energy to move, hence the need for more energy. The comp isn't stealing any of the force that would be used for cycling and putting it towards recoil or muzzle flip reduction though.
View All Quotes
Correct, it doesn't reduce the rearward pressure, it counteracts it.

Even an integral comp that adds no weight will require more force.  You're taking some of the wasted force that was being expelled as muzzle blast and redirecting it to apply forward pressure on the reciprocating mass, or in the case of fixed barrel firearms you're pushing the entire firearm forward against recoil.  On a recoil operated firearm, this is going to require either an increase in force or a decrease in reciprocating mass or a decrease in opposing pressure.  

The minuscule amount of weight added by a muzzle mounted comp isn't enough to degrade reliability significantly.  Browning style recoil handguns are generally tolerant of roughly 3-4 ounces being added to the reciprocating mass.  Dropping locking block style actions, usually up to about 8 ounces.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Yes, it does. The compensator works at peak efficiency when the bullet hasn’t exited or “uncorked” from the end of the compensator, at which point the expanding gases that would otherwise be applying pressure to the breach face escape upward from the expansion ports, which is what provides the force to counteract recoil and muzzle flip.

Which is why you need to either add more input force using hotter ammo or reduce the amount of force required to cycle the slide by reducing the reciprocating mass or the action spring weights
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#29]

Yes, it does. The compensator works at peak efficiency when the bullet hasn’t exited or “uncorked” from the end of the compensator, at which point the expanding gases that would otherwise be applying pressure to the breach face escape upward from the expansion ports, which is what provides the force to counteract recoil and muzzle flip.

Which is why you need to either add more input force using hotter ammo or reduce the amount of force required to cycle the slide by reducing the reciprocating mass or the action spring weights
View Quote

A compensator is typically added on at the end of a barrel, some are cut into the existing barrel, but thats not the typical application... so any gasses escaping upwards through the comp would already have reached a point where they are escaping in all directions and would have no impact on the rearward force the gasses are applying.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#30]

A compensator is typically added on at the end of a barrel, some are cut into the existing barrel, but thats not the typical application... so any gasses escaping upwards through the comp would already have reached a point where they are escaping in all directions and would have no impact on the rearward force the gasses are applying.
View All Quotes

Then why in practice do people run into problems with not having enough energy after adding a thread-on compensator to the end of a barrel? Why do you need to add more energy if the compensator isn’t diverting/leaching/stealing some of the energy that was already present?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Then why in practice do people run into problems with not having enough energy after adding a thread-on compensator to the end of a barrel? Why do you need to add more energy if the compensator isn’t diverting/leaching/stealing some of the energy that was already present?
View Quote

More moving mass requires more energy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

No, you’re thinking about this in terms of a non-dynamic barrel weight. I’m sorry but in this case you’re wrong
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Dear god what sins have I committed and what have I done to initiate the unleashing of physics nerds on this thread?

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]

No, you’re thinking about this in terms of a non-dynamic barrel weight. I’m sorry but in this case you’re wrong
View Quote

Have you ever heard of a comp causing issues on a PCC? What about an AR?

I'm thinking in terms of non dynamic barrel weight?
Did you miss the moving mass part of my comment? Weight on the end of the barrel is going to have a different impact than weight on the slide.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#35]
Edit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Did you miss the moving mass part of my comment? Weight on the end of the barrel is going to have a different impact than weight on the slide.
View All Quotes

No, you're thinking about this in terms of a non-dynamic barrel weight. I'm sorry but in this case you're wrong

You can run weights up to 3-4 ounces on the barrel without affecting reliability.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#37]
You can run weights up to 3-4 ounces on the barrel without affecting reliability.
View Quote

I've never heard of someone running barrel weights... not saying it's not done, but I know nothing about it. It could also be the downward force at the end of the barrel is making it harder to break lockup, thus requiring more rearward force.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#38]

at which point the expanding gases that would otherwise be applying pressure to the breach face escape upward from the expansion ports, which is what provides the force to counteract recoil and muzzle flip.

View Quote

The direction the gases escape has zero bearing on the pressure applied to the breech face.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]

I've never heard of someone rubbing barrel weights... not saying it's not done, but I know nothing about it. It could also be the downward force at the end of the barrel is making it harder to break lockup, thus requiring more reward force.
View All Quotes

I've never heard of someone rubbing barrel weights... not saying it's not done, but I know nothing about it. It could also be the downward force at the end of the barrel is making it harder to break lockup, thus requiring more reward force.
Suppressors and old bullseye guns Browning style recoil can take up to 3-4 ounces before affecting reliability.  Dropping locking blocks can take up to around 8.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:31:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#40]

Yes, it does. The compensator works at peak efficiency when the bullet hasn't exited or "uncorked" from the end of the compensator, at which point the expanding gases that would otherwise be applying pressure to the breach face escape upward from the expansion ports, which is what provides the force to counteract recoil and muzzle flip.

View Quote
Close but not quite.  Ports work that way.  Comps are slightly different. Once the gas is in the expansion chamber it is no longer acting on the breech face.  If you were to just let it loose it would be wasted energy.  But once it hits the front wall of the comp it is redirected into pushing forward on the gun, which is why you generally need hotter ammo or a lighter slide/spring.  You're redirecting otherwise wasted energy to counteract the recoil.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#41]
Suppressors and old bullseye guns Browning style recoil can take up to 3-4 ounces before affecting reliability.  Dropping locking blocks can take up to around 8.
View Quote

Suppressors on handguns also require a piston adapter no?

I've also seen them cause tons of issues, even with the additional back pressure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#42]

I've also seen them cause tons of issues, even with the additional back pressure.
View All Quotes

Only if they exceed the weight limit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

You still have the added back pressure from the suppressor to overcome the additional weight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Close but not quite.  Ports work that way.  Comps are slightly different. Once the gas is in the expansion chamber it is no longer acting on the breech face.  If you were to just let it loose it would be wasted energy.  But once it hits the front wall of the comp it is redirected into pushing forward on the gun, which is why you generally need hotter ammo or a lighter slide/spring.  You're redirecting otherwise wasted energy to counteract the recoil.
View All Quotes

Yes, it does. The compensator works at peak efficiency when the bullet hasn't exited or "uncorked" from the end of the compensator, at which point the expanding gases that would otherwise be applying pressure to the breach face escape upward from the expansion ports, which is what provides the force to counteract recoil and muzzle flip.

You’re right, in this sense I was wrong.

But it’s not the extra weight on the end of the barrel that requires the extra energy
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#45]

I've never heard of someone running barrel weights... not saying it's not done, but I know nothing about it. It could also be the downward force at the end of the barrel is making it harder to break lockup, thus requiring more reward force.
View All Quotes

I've never heard of someone running barrel weights... not saying it's not done, but I know nothing about it. It could also be the downward force at the end of the barrel is making it harder to break lockup, thus requiring more reward force.

They’re more commonly referred to as sight blocks these days but it’s an old concept:

It’s basically a compensator without ports. An extra chunk of metal stuck on the end of the barrel
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:. Thing arrived.
View Quote

A gun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]

You still have the added back pressure from the suppressor to overcome the additional weight.
View All Quotes

Some, but the point being the weight of the compensator isn't as significant a factor as the compensatory affect caused by the gas hitting the face of the comp.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Some, but the point being the weight of the compensator isn't as significant a factor as the compensatory affect caused by the gas hitting the face of the comp.
View Quote

Either way, the comp is not stealing any energy from the cycling action.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#50]
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Missilegeek has a point though, this is a thread about pistol RDS, not compensators. I’ll accept my 20 lashes for the temporary hijack and return to the original topic
Page / 112
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 88 of 112)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top