Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

looks kind'a like someone melted Darth Vader's helmet in the microwave...
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the Conquest TSI or Starion meet OP criteria?

Buddy in school had a GLH, he smoked my EXP with ease.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My first car was a 1984 Toyota tercel SR5 2-door, 1.6l engine, 5 speed.

Weighed nothing, handled well, and would drive for thousands of miles straight through with no complaint.  The a/c did take about 20% of the engine power, though, so I'd switch it off when I need to scoot.

Got $500 for a trade when I bought a Ranger in 1991.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
the GLH and the EXP would
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
1991 Nissan NX2000 | Retro Review
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nissan 200sx turbo qualify? Loved mine for 5 or so years then replaced it with a SE-R.  Good times back then.
View Quote
id say that the 200sx and the NX2000 are right on the border, the 200sx is RWD though and more expensive, hmm idk
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
updated OP with a perfect vid
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/d3M8ztyf/ACFECDAB-6281-41-C9-A890-8-F655-FB71-C05.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/d3M8ztyf/ACFECDAB-6281-41-C9-A890-8-F655-FB71-C05.jpg

LOL...Does my 1957 Nash Metropolitan count? 1425 pounds in weight and 52 screaming HP!
View Quote
That thing rocks.
I would so drive that before any of the pieces of garbage posted in this thread.
I'd have to have a Churchill round hat for the rest drive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Fun cars to beat like you fucking stole them.  Use the gas pedal like an on/off switch.  If you were moving, they were floored - even when the clutch pedal was down
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]
when i saw the thread title, i immediately thought of the toyota MR2.

i still want one of those.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I do know that if you were accustomed to holding the handle up to lock like on the Jap cars you could smash the fuck out of your fingers closing the door on those Geo Storms.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the GLH and the EXP would
View Quote
The GLH (Goes Like Hell) was one hell of a fun car.  A buddy of mine ripped about 4 transmissions out of his.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That thing rocks.
I would so drive that before any of the pieces of garbage posted in this thread.
I'd have to have a Churchill round hat for the rest drive.
View Quote
My first car was a red and white '59 Nash Metropolitan.....Young women just loved it.

Like this one.....My Uncle worked for a Rambler dealer in town and sold it to me cheap.

Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fun cars to beat like you fucking stole them.  Use the gas pedal like an on/off switch.  If you were moving, they were floored - even when the clutch pedal was down
View Quote
It’s the analogy from motorcycling. It’s more fun to ride a low bike fast than a fast bike slow. True, in cars and bikes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great cars, I have one in the garage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad is a tv repair man, he's got this ultimate set of tools, i can fix it
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My first car was a red and white '59 Nash Metropolitan.....Young women just loved it.

Like this one.....My Uncle worked for a Rambler dealer in town and sold it to me cheap.

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/177276/177276_Front_3-4_Web.JPG
View Quote
i always liked its humble looks but the little guy was out of place in the era of big steel and tailfins, it almost seemed ... Japanese, to me, or perhaps vice versa must be said.

Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Back when my SHO was the "Titanic".
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
AMG A35!
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nissan 200sx turbo qualify? Loved mine for 5 or so years then replaced it with a SE-R.  Good times back then.
View Quote
Ah yeah, reminds me of the early sentra SER and the little infinity G20.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Previous to the NX was the pulsar NX se with the ca16de. Flip up headlights, T tops, 5 speed and 122 horsepower.

Pulsar NX:
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah they did quietly sneak Fiestas in for another year, but I believe 2019 will be the last.

However that doesn't change the fact that they really didn't sell too many of them, even if they are a great amount of fun to drive. Ford released that it was about 10% of total Fiesta sales a year or so back, meaning there is around 27k of them in total over the five years they have been for sale. That's not a very promising number to bring up to a board meeting when proposing similar cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah they did quietly sneak Fiestas in for another year, but I believe 2019 will be the last.

However that doesn't change the fact that they really didn't sell too many of them, even if they are a great amount of fun to drive. Ford released that it was about 10% of total Fiesta sales a year or so back, meaning there is around 27k of them in total over the five years they have been for sale. That's not a very promising number to bring up to a board meeting when proposing similar cars.
if they didn't sell many of them, that means people don't want them. If people wanted them they would make a shit ton of them. That's why you don't see these tiny cars the pony is talking about.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i always liked its humble looks but the little guy was out of place in the era of big steel and tailfins, it almost seemed ... Japanese, to me, or perhaps vice versa must be said.

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2016/03/20150325_03_01_s.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/177276/177276_Front_3-4_Web.JPG

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2016/03/20150325_03_01_s.jpg
Crosley tried to provide more for less at a scale even Nash wouldn't  (made bank with radios but he also produced refrigerators like Nash.). Light with sportish intentions, overall low owner cost being the goal - it's what he did. CoBra engine was radical, advanced  and pretty much ill suited for a road car.  It was never durable and required inordinate levels of maintenance. Think Aprilia S/RXV but worse. It weighed like 60 pounds.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My grandfather worked with him and became friends. He hugely admired his efforts to bring affordability to consumers - he'd speak about him often 20-30 years after Crosley died. "He was a great man, did great things for the public (consumer),  but the car, the car...I don't understand. It's almost as if he hated people secretly and this was his revenge."
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 or 20?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
10 or 20?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 or 20?
Eh? AW11.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#26]
But in the end, it's still just a Kia.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Neat, kinda crazy they managed to fit a 2 L in that small thing, that has to be one cramped engine bay

@AgeOne
View Quote
Vw uses a lot of engine bay dimension sharing to cut down on costs,  probably not much more cramped in there than a gti.

However,  if I could have one from the sub compact range in gti trim it would have been the lupo.

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eh? AW11.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 or 20?
Eh? AW11.
By that I'll take it's a first gen 1.6 - AW11 is a specific chassis code, all first Gens were W10, second W20 - Spyder/MRS W30
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It’s the analogy from motorcycling. It’s more fun to ride a low bike fast than a fast bike slow. True, in cars and bikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that is why I have such a blast running my Miata. Power on/power off, and so easy to feed power in tight corners.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are other options on the market as mentioned prior.

What I miss is the basic mini trucks. Esp 4 cyl stick shift models

Toyota SR5 Pickup
Mazda B2000
Nissan Pickup XE (before Frontier)

Even the old Ford Ranger and Chevy mini S-10

My Nissan XE just got put out to pasture for parts, blew the head gasket @ 336,### Miles Replaced the water pump @ 220,###. It went through several brake jobs and maybe 4 batteries but was still on the original Alternator.

I need to replace it, but there isn't a suitable new option. Older vehicles, the owners want to hold on to them for the same reason so used prices are high when they can be found in great shape.
View Quote
I had one of those. Great truck. Not powerful or fast, but you couldn't kill them and they would go anywhere.

Attachment Attached File

I traded mine for a Jeep TJ, which was also great, but I still miss the Nissan. If I could buy one just like it in like new condition, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Remember the King Midget?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Conquest/Starion is a legitimate sports car,not a sporty sub-compact.

Consumer tastes as crash test standards have made cars swell but people swelling in size over the last 30 years is what made especially Americans choose SUVs and CUVs as default vehicles. My BMW  E30 was a family car in the 80s,by modern standards it's tiny;it's absolutely dwarfed by a new Camaro.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Vw uses a lot of engine bay dimension sharing to cut down on costs,  probably not much more cramped in there than a gti.

However,  if I could have one from the sub compact range in gti trim it would have been the lupo.

https://images.carscoops.com/2018/04/VW_Lupo_GTI_20.jpg
View Quote
Vroom vroom
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
By that I'll take it's a first gen 1.6 - AW11 is a specific chassis code, all first Gens were W10, second W20 - Spyder/MRS W30
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 or 20?
Eh? AW11.
Ahh, always just heard AW11, SW20, and MRS.

The AW11 is the wife’s favorite, I’ll eventually pick up an SW20 for myself. The wife’s will get a JDM silvertop 20v at some point down the line too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The AW11 is the wife’s favorite, I’ll eventually pick up an SW20 for myself. The wife’s will get a JDM silvertop 20v at some point down the line too.
View Quote
The Spyder is the most under-rated MR2. Yes it's goofy looking from all but 1 angle and yes it was stupidity to put such a lousy engine in it but for driving dynamics,it's a better car. One on decent suspension and sticky tires is stupid fun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Those things sucked ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Miata
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Those things sucked ass.
View Quote
Well, it's a cheap Nissan, so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#39]
The 1991-94 Sentra SE-R's were a peppy little car. Small, light, quick and fun to drive. A lot of people never knew about them but the ones who did loved them.

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Spyder is the most under-rated MR2. Yes it's goofy looking from all but 1 angle and yes it was stupidity to put such a lousy engine in it but for driving dynamics,it's a better car. One on decent suspension and sticky tires is stupid fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it’s like driving a Miata. Give up all pretense of testosterone when you cross the door sill.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The AW11 is the wife's favorite, I'll eventually pick up an SW20 for myself. The wife's will get a JDM silvertop 20v at some point down the line too.
View Quote
Yea being in Japan thought you might have a AW10 (1.5). There SW20 and 21.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought a 1992 Acura GSR off the lot for 12.5k right after graduating HS and going the Amry. It was right before the Clinton era import taxes on Japanese cars.

It was a hell of a car and fast as all hell for what it was.

It lasted me a long time before a guy side swiped me and totalled it.

I miss that car.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't forget the VW stuff.  The Sirocco and its successor the Corrado.   I kinda miss mine,  it was a good car.   This is the day before the car shipper folks showed up and hauled it to it's new owner in Illinois.   It had 297,000 miles on it when I sold it.
https://i.imgur.com/WuY6EeW.jpg
View Quote
I had a 78 Scirocco.  Slow as hell, but so much fun to drive!
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File
Sciroccos and hot  hatches opens up all kinds of stuff

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dont think the  Lemans got the GTE treatment in the US tho
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#45]
The Pinto wins
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Traded my '69 Z/28 Camaro in on one of these in 1974 ......................

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Never was a Metro turbo, there was a Chevy Sprint turbo.
View Quote
Pretty sure it had a geo emblem on the hood, i might have been swapping the two in my head, they were the same body though right? been 15+_ years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Sentra SER?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Have a Mazda 323GTX, 16V Turbo AWD.
Love that car!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Had a 72 Opel GT for a little while that was a hoot to drive.

Also an 85 Honda Prelude

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top