Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had my Leatherman Wave for around 20 yrs. i have a bunch of other multi tools, but that one goes with me everywhere.
View Quote
Same here. I keep trying to replace that old wave with something new and better but I keep going back.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, still have the leathermans from back in the day. Mostly still in the same BOB’s and one in each vehicle and don’t use’em much. My edc Izula gets the most use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
My only issue is sheaths fall apart every 4 or 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the old SOGs and one of Gerbers' first models.

They are both nearly twenty years old and live inside of packs
that I use intermittently for different actiivities. I haven't had to rely
on them yet to do anything though. They are like bandages to me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a broken tip on the needle nose plier part of my Leatherman Wave.  Is getting it repaired and easy process?  Will they just repair the busted piece of send me a new tool?  I actually like my well worn Wave
View Quote
I've sent in three or four over the years for repairs and never got the original tool back, but instead got an entirely new tool. Of course, by the time I send them in they tend to have multiple broken blades, etc
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've had a Leatherman Micro on my key chain for almost 20 years.

If Tim  Leatherman comes up with something new tomorrow that I want/need, I'll buy the shit out of it!

He woke up in fucking America this morning just like I did and he can have any opinion he wants.

You shitheads want YOUR freedoms, but you dont want him to have his!
View Quote
You are right, I don't want him to have the freedom to destroy mine.

By coincidence I carry a Leatherman MicrA on my keys 24/7 since the late 90's ( I got my first from Tim "I gobble communist dick and like it" Leatherman himself during the 1998 shotshow )

Otherwise it is SWISSTOOL all the way for me. Much better than anything Comrade Tim ever made with the exception of the Micra.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Utter nonsense.

Anyway, I wear a WAVE+ on my belt every day.
View Quote
They are the worst tool ever.

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife
Nearly unusable screwdrivers that strips screws
The rest is useless junk that gets in the way.

I've got a small toolkit in my vehicle, it has all the things the leathermans have but in decent quality

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes
3/8" metric deep socket set, 1/4" metric set, 1/2" of 19/21/22
extensions / ratchets for the above
Jegs 2 ton floor jack and stands

If I'm at home, I have a whole 80x80 garage with a lift to go work on whatever. I don't need to carry some shitty tool

Junk, completely useless. Even worse than useless actually, its a tool that'll fuck up whatever your working on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If Tim  Leatherman comes up with something new tomorrow that I want/need, I'll buy the shit out of it!

He woke up in fucking America this morning just like I did and he can have any opinion he wants.

View Quote
The shithead is the leftist anti-gun guy.

And, he's still got all his freedom.  What he doesn't have, is my money.

Grow up, figure it out, till then, stop being proud of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Still toting this daily at work:

Attachment Attached File

Carried in a Ripoffs holster:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
He’s free to hold any opinion that suits him. Just like I’m free to spend my money where it suits me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
EDC leatherman skeletool evrday
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Every day, I'd be lost without my Leatherman Surge.
View Quote
Same here, comes in handy when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a few of them, but I don't daily carry them.

When I travel I always have one in my pack.

They've come in handy many times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Leatherman Skeletool and a Gerber Flik. I rarely carry them though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]
In my pocket everyday. does 90% of what you'll use a fullsize for.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I probably have a half dozen.

Rarely carry them.  A small folder does everything I need and weighs so much less.  They are in each car.  Camping? Rarely use.  Deployed?  Rarely used.

I have occasionally repurposed their belt pouch for CCW magazines,  however.

My wife  on the other hand, took an original with her to Africa in her Peace Corps day.  That thing has history.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#17]
All told I must have at least a dozen+ of different versions scattered around.
I keep a Wave w/bit set in each vehicle. One in each tool box. One in the range bag. One in each tackle box.
Keep an old original PST in the desk at work. I use it frequently. Honestly it is my fav.
Bought a Super Tool as well but out of all of them it gets used the least.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely!! I carry one everyday. However it’s a small one, leatherman eclipse I think. It’s larger than a small pocket knife but a lot smaller than a full size leatherman.  IMO the full size leatherman is too big for everyday carry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Using a multi tool when you have a box of real tools nearby is dumb, however having and using a multi tool when you have nothing else, they are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
as a Rigger I was issued a Leatherman but I had to be kewl and buy my own Gerber multi-tool.  What else is a PFC going to do with his last $60 bucks for the month but replace issued gear with "better" stuff?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You carried a multi-tool in high school on your belt?
View Quote
I'd not be surprised.....I carried a Gerber multi-tool into a prison for years and nobody ever said a word about it. I suspect I used it daily for some kind of small repair or another. I had a pouch that held the multi-tool and a small flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
They are great if there are no other tools available. I keep one on my hunting belt.

Recently, I was planning to move one of my ladder stands off one property and onto another. I had walked about 1/2 mile to the stand when I realized I'd forgotten the key to the cable lock. Rather than walk back to the truck to get the key, I spent God knows how long cutting through that cable lock using the saw and wire cutters on the Leatherman. I felt like I could have walked back and forth to the truck a half dozen times and not been as tired as I was after cutting that cable lock with the Leatherman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I carried a Gerber MP800 every day while at work for many years. It was perfect for my particular job and saved me from having to either carry a bunch of tools or walking back to my truck. I probably used it 10X a day. Big time saver...I'll have to dig it out for old times sake.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Can't believe nobody did this yet

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I have them stashed in all the vehicles, but couldn't tell you the last time I actually used one...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I carried a Gerber every day while at work for many years. It was perfect for my particular job and saved me from having to either carry a bunch of tools or walking back to my truck. I probably used it 10X a day. Big time saver...I'll have to dig it out for old times sake.

https://nimax-img.de/Produktbilder/zoom/48376_1/Gerber-Multitool-MP-800-Legend.jpg
View Quote
I have one of those tucked away somewhere.

I’ve tried out a few of the subsequent Gerber designs, but I always go back to the patent pending original.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an original Leatherman that I got for high school graduation and need to send  it for repair(the plier jaws popped out of alignment when I was taking a hook out of a catfish with them), a Micra that I found, a Gerber and a Buck Tool. Rarely use any of them for serious use but they're great for fishing. Pliers for pulling hooks and a bait knife all in one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve carried one every day for the past 11 years at work. I also got a few other guys to start using them. We work on commercial equipment and it comes in handy on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I used one to fix this rich guys super fancy engraved shotgun
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I carried a leatherman surge for two years, it was huge, and heavy (16oz?) it had a cool side carrier for a aaa flashlight.

now I carry a leatherman wingman,its smaller, half the weight, has a pocket clip & belt pouch and all the tools I regularly use.

Outside accessible knife, scissors, pliers/wire cutter, Phillips, flathead, bottle opener, small file.

The only stuff I don't really need is the package opener for clamshell packages,  though it works, and i wish the knife was non-serrated, since it is half serrated and half straight...it makes both sides less effective to use as intended.

Bonus is...they are $50. So when I lost mine for a few months, it was half the price to replace.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DI0XM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Uw6fCb3CQ0NRC
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have one of those tucked away somewhere.

I’ve tried out a few of the subsequent Gerber designs, but I always go back to the patent pending original.
View Quote
My first one I loaned out to a guy who used the knife as a prying tool and snapped the end off . I bought a Leatherman as a replacement but after using it for about a week returned it to get another Gerber. The biggest thing I missed was the full size spring opened pliers. It also just felt sturdier all the way around.

I just woke up half the house rummaging around looking for it
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I own 3 Leatherman multitools - Blast, Skeletool, Juice S2 - that I have carried for one purpose or another over the years.

The owner might be a leftie but the tools are all made in the USA. I think Gerber and SOG tools are made in china.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used one to fix this rich guys super fancy engraved shotgun
View Quote
I bet he was super appreciative.  

I have been using the same US made Gerber forever.  After about 10yrs I sent it in for warrantly work, when one of the pliers spring tabs broke off.  They fixed it, cleaned it, sharpened the blade, and sent it back with a new sheath.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife

I've got a small toolkit in my vehicle, it has all the things the leathermans have but in decent quality

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes

If I'm at home, I have a whole 80x80 garage with a lift to go work on whatever. I don't need to carry some shitty tool

Junk, completely useless. Even worse than useless actually, its a tool that'll fuck up whatever your working on.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I carry a Leatherman Wave most of the time. I will also carry a Skeletool On occasion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry a Gerber Dime... $13, super light, and does 99% of the things I need. When that 1% ever comes up, my EDC bag is not far away. I seriously only use a full size multi-tool twice a year. The Dime I use multiple times a day, usually for opening packages with the awesome package opener, sometimes to cut something with the scissors, and a couple times a month I'll use the pliers (usually to fix my wife's jewelry).
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I have the original Leatherman Super Tool my wife gave me for Christmas 25-30 years ago.

It rides in the glovebox of every vehicle I've owned, and goes on my belt on long motorcycle trips.

I've used the shit out of it, have never sharpened it, but it's still sharp enough to see what my bones look like before getting seven stitches..
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 every day in the fifth pocket. Use it daily.

No need for tool chest sized variety, though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Use daily for work.  Had it for over 25 years.

Basic for 'tools' included, but heavy duty and has not losened up like others do over time.  Seki Japan SOG, not the current china crap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Back in 2004, girl got suspended from my HS for cutting an apple in class with a 3" knife.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah, looked them up on eBay. $75-$150.

I'm literally 16 miles from the factory. Hopefully USPS can manage that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you aware those Kershaws have a fairly high collector value? I'm not sure I'd trust USPS or common carrier to get those there and back.
Yeah, looked them up on eBay. $75-$150.

I'm literally 16 miles from the factory. Hopefully USPS can manage that
I shipped something 10 miles away back when I lived in Michigan. Hit the sort facility in Detroit and went to Hawaii before finding its way back to Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I buy all my employees a leatherman sidekick to keep in their pocket since it has a clip.  Most of the guys don't wear stuff on their belts and the sheaths rip too easy for what they do.  Course, it doesn't hurt that I get them from Federal Surplus Properties for $5.00 each.  They are used but in good shape and still have the leatherman warranty.  They come from the TSA when they "disarm" people trying to carry them on planes.

They have several types of pocketknives for $5 as well.  Most are Case, Gerber, Buck, CRKT and Kershaw.  The most expensive one I have seen was a $175 USA Kershaw.  They wanted $5.00.  I also got a Black Gerber Hinderer rescue knife there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Had an old school Leatherman Super Tool I carried in the Army.  Handy for popping cans of turboshaft open and this and that type stuff where I didn't want to unpack a sponson box to get the tool bag out.  It did some time in my pocket back when I was throwing Coax and Cat5 on construction sites long ago as well.  I think it's in one of my range bags or lost now.

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Utter nonsense.

Anyway, I wear a WAVE+ on my belt every day.

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes

Hard to carry that many tools on a dirt bike.

I've used multitools several times on the side of the trail- and that's in the last year. I guess when you ride with your 9 year old son who crashes a lot you'll be fixing things on the side of the trail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Leatherman wingman, clipped into my pocket 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
On my belt? No. In my office toolbox? Yes. Seems no one wearing suit and tie ever has tools for simple things
View Quote
I carry one in my suit pocket daily, along with a sharp knife.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did - a decent Gerber, which I used the shit out of getting in to PCs and such.

My sister is an ag teacher now, and I've stopped by a couple of times recently. The high school guys definitely still have pocket knives, and still have them out in class doing stupid shit with them. I seriously doubt there's even a policy against it, but if there is, it's roundly ignored.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Terrible pliers
Awkward knife

Klein screwdrivers
long needle nose plier
Vice grips- 3 sizes

View Quote
Once again, utter nonsense.

You have however merely confirmed that you are a curmudeonly snob who doesn't understand the limitations of the various multitools available in the market....who would rather berate a handy and useful tool that has served multitudes of owners worldwide quite admirably over several decades instead. Way to go!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Once again, utter nonsense.

You have however merely confirmed that you are a curmudeonly snob who doesn't understand the limitations of the various multitools available in the market....who would rather berate a handy and useful tool that has served multitudes of owners worldwide quite admirably over several decades instead. Way to go!
View Quote
Its stupid, and worse, strips out phillips. Thing is a turd that never should have been invented. If I see someone with it, I automatically know they are a pretend technician and won't let them anywhere near anything of mine.

The proper tool for a job, nothing less. Pull out one of those "jack of all trades" and it'll be sure to somehow f up the job. I have 2 tool cabinets full of tools, each one has a specific use. I don't need some lame-o tool that does nothing well. If I am in a bind, I'll go buy a decent tool rather than use a hack like a leatherman.

I used to manage QC for an outdoor power equipment mfg. Nothing drove me nuts more than to see someone using the wrong tool to attempt something. Multitools were not allowed at workers cells.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top