BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How many rounds did he fire?  Jury's decision aside for the self defense verdict, how can you not be responsible for wife getting hit?  Even if it was accidental on the woman, there's still civil repercussions.  Or, was she also involved in attacking?

Is there video of the shooting out there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a self defense immunity hearing, "stand your ground" hearing is a retarded colloquialism that people need to stop using.

He was also charged with shooting her, and acquitted of that as well. He could not be found innocent of murder against Chad and guilty of battery against Nicole.

How many rounds did he fire?  Jury's decision aside for the self defense verdict, how can you not be responsible for wife getting hit?  Even if it was accidental on the woman, there's still civil repercussions.  Or, was she also involved in attacking?

His firing of the weapon and use of deadly force was ruled justified.

How hard is that to understand?  She can’t sue him.  There will be no civil trial.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The decision by the jury shows you are mistaken
View Quote

Your logic is flawed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a self defense immunity hearing, "stand your ground" hearing is a retarded colloquialism that people need to stop using.

He was also charged with shooting her, and acquitted of that as well. He could not be found innocent of murder against Chad and guilty of battery against Nicole.

One. She was trying to hold raging Chad back and it went through her hand before Chad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How hard is that to understand?  She can’t sue him.  There will be no civil trial.
View Quote

How hard is it to read and comprehend a simple question?

There will be a civil trial.  There always is.

Unless she was attacking him also...which is my reason for asking the question.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be no civil trial per state law. By law shooter is not civil liable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chad being a chad from the article?

Guy was half his age, threw his phone at the old guy and was climbing over the seats to confront him?

Sounds like chad messed around and found out.
View Quote

Sufficiently for an elderly man to fear for his life.  Chad f*cked around and found out.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the take away here is "don't fuck with old people".
They are old for a reason.
View Quote

As I stand here today in my old age I'm in absolute agreement with that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the take away here is "don't fuck with old people".
They are old for a reason.
View Quote

Age = less capable of going mano y mano especially against a younger guy.  Not in shape, body pain, reduced mobility.  Yeah, greater reason to fear for his life than say a 22 year old Bruce Lee in his prime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
redacted
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think "stand your ground" works that way. His use of deadly force was determined by a judge to fall outside of the stand your ground protections. The fact that he was acquitted of murder doesn't automatically place him under those protections again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Article says wife of dead guy was shot in the hand.  Can he be tried for shooting the wife?  

Wonder how the civil suit will go.

Dupe police, post up or shut up.  I searched long and hard.  

Nope. She was shot incidental to him legally defending himself. Since he was ruled not guilty the self-defense claim is legitimate.
I don't think "stand your ground" works that way. His use of deadly force was determined by a judge to fall outside of the stand your ground protections. The fact that he was acquitted of murder doesn't automatically place him under those protections again.

But the only justifiable homicide is self- defense right? If he wasn't guilty of the other types of homicide then it's the only one left. Right? I don't think it was as "falling to the outside"and as much is "I ain't happy with this and we'll do it my way" (the judge).
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don’t know if this was the case in this incident, but some theaters have reserved/assigned seating. Your seat number is on your ticket. That also doesn’t mean that there were not other empty seats he could have moved to. Regardless, if I have one of the best seats in the house, why should I move because someone else nearby is being an asshole?

In the alternative world, the asshole should have realized how his behavior was impacting other theater patrons ability to enjoy the experience, apologized and put his phone away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reeves complained that the phone screen was very bright and distracted him from watching the screen. He asked him to put it away and, according to Reeves, Oulson blasted him with F-bombs and told him to mind his own business. Afterward, Reeves said he would complain to the manager. More f-bombs. He complained to the manager, came back to the seat, the phone was put away or somewhere not in his hand. Ouslon was evil eyeing him and he responded that he would not have told the manager of the incident if he'd put the phone away before. Reeves sat down and Oulson turned and stood to begin initiating an attack on Reeves.

Cell phone guy was certainly a dick, and probably pulled that s*** on several others before he found out.
However, I don't think the old man should have said anything about the screen. I mean does he sit in a pitch black room in his house when he's watching TV?

He was seated right in front of him. seventeen inches away seat to seat. the previews were running. He should have gotten up and left to move to another seat in the alternative world. But you still can't attack people for them asking you to turn your phone off and then complaining to the manager when you don't.

I don’t know if this was the case in this incident, but some theaters have reserved/assigned seating. Your seat number is on your ticket. That also doesn’t mean that there were not other empty seats he could have moved to. Regardless, if I have one of the best seats in the house, why should I move because someone else nearby is being an asshole?

In the alternative world, the asshole should have realized how his behavior was impacting other theater patrons ability to enjoy the experience, apologized and put his phone away.

Wouldn't disagree with anything you said.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How in the day and age of internet people don't understand that there are just evil and mean people out there that will try to hurt you over nothing I'll never understand. The internet is full of videos of someone shoving someone in front of a subway for no reason. People who will shove an old man off a bus and kill him when he hits his head for no reason. People who will run your car off the road for daring to go past them.

View Quote

I can tell you from personal experience that there are people out there who do not understand that on any sort of level. Earlier this year an organization I'm a member of faced the question of kicking a member of the group out due to harassing behavior towards other group members, particularly female members. The guy who was the subject of this debate has been kicked out of a dozen other groups over several years for similar behaviors up to being arrested for pulling a knife on members of other groups. This debate went on for months, with some people arguing that it has never been necessary to kick out anyone from the group in the decades of its existence, that the group should be welcoming to all, that we should deflect the guys outburst with friendly conversations, etc. The most we could get the majority to agree on was sending the guy an email notice that we wanted to meet with him about his concerning behaviors. He responded with a series of angry replies where he refused to admit that he's had any problems, said we were the problem, and he voluntarily withdrew from the group because we were not the enlightened type of people he thought we were, etc. The very next meeting of the group a female member proposed that no one should be allowed to have firearms in their possession when the group met. I'm sure that one was aimed at me...so bottom line, some people will never understand the darker side of himan nature.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not Guilty

I didn't expect this outcome, but I wasn't there.
View Quote

Again?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
If that’s for real or legit about the movie theater chain flying their security camera hard drives to their corporate headquarters before the police got to look at the videos….that’s all kinds of sketchy.

I would have liked to see/hear the testimony from the theater manager.

My guess is that going forward, the managers will be urged to give refunds and/or coupons to patrons who complain about other patrons.

Did the X-cop Reeves take the stand?

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If that’s for real or legit about the movie theater chain flying their security camera hard drives to their corporate headquarters before the police got to look at the videos….that’s all kinds of sketchy.

I would have liked to see/hear the testimony from the theater manager.

My guess is that going forward, the managers will be urged to give refunds and/or coupons to patrons who complain about other patrons.

Did the X-cop Reeves take the stand?

View Quote

Yes he did. It was very good testimony. He explained out his POV very well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK, it was years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When this case first broke I watched the security video. Old man is pissed because of asshole with bad manners. Old man tells movie manager. Then goes to his car and gets his gun.
Instead of changing seats.... sits back down holding gun with popcorn container covering it. Asshole throws popcorn on him. Old man draws like Bob Munden.
Old man had his plan already made.

That's why I am shocked that he was acquitted. The fact that he went to his car and got a gun instead of just leaving. Sounds like he was ready to smoke the guy.

That didn't happen. He never left the building when he went to the manager.

OK, it was years ago.

But you watched the security videos and seent it?  

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why do most of the posters in this thread sound like all of my liberal friends after the Rittenhouse trial?
View Quote

Because most people still fall for the fake msm narratives.  

You'd think some would learn their lesson after the trayvon BS or "muh russian collusion" BS.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

OJ Simpson says different. Civil requirements for liability and all. Probably not a real winner case, not much to get out of a retired cop, but some scummy personal injury lawyer will always be there to try.

Edit: * Baring Florida law.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OJ Simpson says different. Civil requirements for liability and all. Probably not a real winner case, not much to get out of a retired cop, but some scummy personal injury lawyer will always be there to try.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the OJ situation isn't a good comparison. Some states - I don't know how many - have laws on the books where if you are accquitted of a SD shooting, its an affirmative defense in a civil case. Sometimes theyre written if someone does decide to bring a civil case after the accquital, theyre liable for all attorney costs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thread title sucks.  He wasn't shot for "texting".  Get your fucking facts straight.
View Quote

This and this again.

Old man asked him to put phone away.
Old man notified management.

Chad became hostile.
Chad decides to confront/assault old man.
Old man vents Chad.
Old man hits woman during incident that could lead to some more litigation.

Could everything have happened differently and better?  Damn strait but it didn't.

Old man probably has realized you can beat the wrap but not the ride.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But the only justifiable homicide is self- defense right? If he wasn't guilty of the other types of homicide then it's the only one left. Right? I don't think it was as "falling to the outside"and as much is "I ain't happy with this and we'll do it my way" (the judge).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Article says wife of dead guy was shot in the hand.  Can he be tried for shooting the wife?  

Nope. She was shot incidental to him legally defending himself. Since he was ruled not guilty the self-defense claim is legitimate.

Stand your ground and self defense are separate in Florida.

Stand your ground may not apply, but you can still legally defend yourself and once self defense is claimed as a legal defense in court, even without stand your ground law applying, Florida law does not allow civil action against legal self-defense.

If somebody starts a confrontation, then they give up stand your ground, but if the other party escalates the confrontation to the point physical self defense is justified, then self defense is justified without stand your ground law applying.

Stand your ground only eliminates possible trial when applied.

Zimmerman chose to waive his stand your ground hearing to avoid trial and chose to go to trial, claiming self defense in court.

If stand your ground applies, there is not trial, only a successful stand your ground hearing.

At the time of Zimmerman, it was required for him to lay out his defense before trial, in order to claim stand your ground.

Florida law has changed since then, as it was unfair, in case the stand your ground hearing went against somebody.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justifiable homicide can be to stop a felony, which doesn't have to be in defense of one's self.

Once somebody is found not guilty in court while claiming self defense, no civil action can be taken against them in Florida.

Stand your ground is a situation where there is no trial.

Those are two different things.

If stand your ground applies there is no criminal or civil trial.

If it does not apply, then there may be a criminal trial and if self defense is claimed successfully, there can be no civil  trial.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When this case first broke I watched the security video. Old man is pissed because of asshole with bad manners. Old man tells movie manager. Then goes to his car and gets his gun.
Instead of changing seats.... sits back down holding gun with popcorn container covering it. Asshole throws popcorn on him. Old man draws like Bob Munden.
View Quote
Almost everything you said is wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How many rounds did he fire?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Once somebody is found not guilty in court while claiming self defense, no civil action can be taken against them in Florida.

View Quote

Even an uninvolved bystander?  As an example, (not this case), what if the self defender misses and hits some innocent kid?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Even an uninvolved bystander?  As an example, (not this case), what if the self defender misses and hits some innocent kid?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can what if all you can imagine. His use of deadly force was justified.

He didnt miss. One round.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The reason for the LEO to draw his firearm in a public place and NOT notify the facilities mgmt first?

Sorry, this is a case of taking the law and matters into your own hands first.

"I AM THE LAW!"
View Quote

Actually, after he first asked the eventual assailant to stop using his cell phone, he went and politely and calmly complained to the theater manager. It was upon his return that the assailant asshole escalated his actions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Slug-o I won a pmag from you.
View Quote

Yes sir you did…. You were second on my list. Would you like to send me your address so I can square up our bet sir?
Thanks Slug-O
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
The police investigation was shoddy. The Prosecution was splitting hairs over his previous statements, which showed to me they didn't have a case. They certainly failed to DISPROVE self-defense, which must be done for conviction to even be considered. The jury instructions stated that ANY battery on someone 65 or older justifies the use of deadly force to prevent a felony.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The police investigation was shoddy. The Prosecution was splitting hairs over his previous statements, which showed to me they didn't have a case. They certainly failed to DISPROVE self-defense, which must be done for conviction to even be considered. The jury instructions stated that ANY battery on someone 65 or older justifies the use of deadly force to prevent a felony.
View Quote

they were pretty much dishonest about everything.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really struggle with reading comprehension.  Seems to be a pattern with you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You really struggle with reading comprehension.  Seems to be a pattern with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The outcome would be the same, person who justifiably used deadly force can’t be held civil liable for that use of force. So your hypothetical…law is still the same.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Will OP ever fix the thread title to reflect reality?

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The reason for the LEO to draw his firearm in a public place and NOT notify the facilities mgmt first?

Sorry, this is a case of taking the law and matters into your own hands first.

"I AM THE LAW!"
View Quote

What??? By that line of thought do you believe that you should call the authorities first if you happen to be in a situation where you are in jeopardy of losing your life in a matter of milliseconds to see if it's legal or not to use your firearm to defend yourself? I'm trying to understand your point of view here because I don't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will OP ever fix the thread title to reflect reality?

View Quote

No, that's just the title to the article that I linked.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#42]
We STILL have people posting that have no idea what happened (including the OP and his thread title), just like every Travon thread had people that parroted the news media and bore no relation to reality.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@Slug-O No sir. Let's just call it good. It's too much trouble to mail a Pmag and I have about 300. You're a good man
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes sir you did…. You were second on my list. Would you like to send me your address so I can square up our bet sir?
Thanks Slug-O

@Slug-O No sir. Let's just call it good. It's too much trouble to mail a Pmag and I have about 300. You're a good man

Roger that sir. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Curtis Reeves NOT GUILTY Verdict Explained by a Defense Attorney
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe mentioned already but the title of thread is incorrect. "killed man in movie theater for texting" is NOT AT ALL WHAT THIS CASE WAS ABOUT. A lot of discussion about what actually happened but it certainly WAS NOT about a guy getting shot for texting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Good.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top