Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hahahahaha! Nice!
View Quote

I’m just kidding though I wouldn’t waste a beer on a cyclist. I do find y’all infuriating when I’m trying to get home from work and someone on a bike has 30 cars stacked up behind him because he decided to go for a ride on a busy winding road with no shoulder during rush hour. But, a couple of my friends do triathlons and frequently train by riding out in the country where I live and they are all good guys so I try to give cyclists the benefit of the doubt when I encounter them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]

That guy in the truck is an absolute douche.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I still ride my bike at near 70 years old.
View Quote

That is an old ass bike.  Does it look like this?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave plenty of room for Biden to fall over.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just ride in the center of the lane. Now all you motherfuckers can wait behind me.
View Quote

Until someone tailgates you and then lays on the horn until you move your ass over to the right.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love cycling threads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roads are for motor vehicles only. If you want to ride your Huffy bike, the sidewalk is what you seek. Someone's going to tell me that it's against the law to ride on the sidewalk. No, the sidewalk is for your own safety. A vehicle and a bicycle do not mix well together. Stay in your lane which is a sidewalk and motor vehicle stay in their lane which is the street.

End of story. It's for our own safety.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

As someone whose entire family trains for triathlons, I agree. The open road is no place for a 200# bike and rider doing 25% the speed competing for space with a closed-cage, air bag, ABS, seatbelts & crumple zones. Bikes have no business on the road with cars. But if you must, obey traffic laws or don't complain when you get run over.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Roads are for motor vehicles only. If you want to ride your Huffy bike, the sidewalk is what you seek. Someone's going to tell me that it's against the law to ride on the sidewalk. No, the sidewalk is for your own safety. A vehicle and a bicycle do not mix well together. Stay in your lane which is a sidewalk and motor vehicle stay in their lane which is the street.

End of story. It's for our own safety.
View Quote

We can be friends
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Roads are for licensed vehicles with insurance.

Good luck on a bicycle with decreased visibility and slower than the flow of traffic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

See it now. I'd be on the path.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll never understand these people… Perfectly good bike path and this guy chose the road.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68059/B0312AA7-8699-4586-BA2A-EE944CA66927_jpe-2460795.JPG

See it now. I'd be on the path.

This is my issue with some of the ones around me. Most will take the path. Some still feel the need to ride in the road. I don't get it...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I'm passing close to a bicyclist, I'll open the car door.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is my issue with some of the ones around me. Most will take the path. Some still feel the need to ride in the road. I don't get it...
View Quote

I dont know a single person I ride with that would take the path at all.

You ever dodged a walker, hit a curb, or shot out through a intersection on one of those paths at 24-40 mph?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the road doesn't have a bike lane or a sizeable shoulder I'll ride in the center of the lane. Its too scary to be riding on the side and have big ass trucks buzz you from inches away. For drivers being behind a cyclist can be an annoying experience, but for a cyclist that was buzzed its really scary. I'd rather ride in the center of the lane when there are no other options than risk getting clipped by a mirror.
View Quote

GTFO
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Has someone suggested making cyclists take an exam to get a cycling license, have yearly bike inspections, and also pay for yearly registrations as well as pay property tax on them if they consider them a vehicle, plus be forced to carry vehicle  insurance on them?

I'm not for this, but it would be kinda fun to watch cyclists freak out when they have the same standards for being on the road as a motorized vehicle.

Like I said, I'm not actually for this. But the outrage would be interesting
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shit .!

I love my miata too much to hit a cyclist.  

That's why I carry a PR-24.
View Quote
This, I have an old six cell Maglite instead though, don't want to hurt my PR-24.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You might want to rethink that a bike has the same rights as a car by law.
View Quote
Oh look, another member of the Spandex Mafia that didn't pay attention during Physics class.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#17]
We (gf and I) were crossing the road in DC. Walk sign was green. Hits her at full speed... Peddled on. What a dick. fuck them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Some years ago I generally put 10k miles a year on a road bike.  Raced, rode cyclocross on the offseason, etc.  I lived in a town where I did most of my errands, commuting, and grocery getting by bike.  I was in good shape then and wish I had the time to still do it.  These days its neighborhood laps with my kid in a trailer.

Out on the road, some of them were small group rides.  A few of them were large group rides.  Many of them were solo.  We mostly rode big loops on rural roads outside of town.  We had routes that mostly made up of roads where the traffic was sparse, the lanes were wide, etc.  As a cyclist you're well aware of the roads that are safe and those that are not.  You are well aware when there are cars behind.

In all the years I was hit twice in city traffic by dumbasses that failed to yield right of way due to underestimating my speed.  I had friends killed.  One of them was plowed over from behind on a road that was two lanes in each direction...they could've passed him in the other lane.  I never met my uncle because a drunk driver hit him as a teenager...riding the subdivision with friends during daylight.  As a cyclist you have to ride defensively because people either don't see you or underestimate your speed.  But it goes both ways.  I know people that got tickets for rolling a right turn or a stopsign.  They deserved it.  I can balance on two wheels (stopped, without unclipping) so why not just stop?

Virginia now requires two feet of passing distance.  Maybe some drivers know this.  In those days I'd occasionally get buzzed.  Generally I rode defensively which cut way down on the dangerous situation.  If the lane doesn't give enough room for safe passing within the lane, I don't ride so close to the edge to do so.  By moving a foot or two over, I could control the situation.  First, I'm more visible.  Second, you're not in a position to pass me until there's no oncoming traffic and it's safe for all of us.  

If you were/are ever held up by me, I promise it won't be long before you get a chance to safely pass.  You may get ticked off, but as a driver how often are you stuck behind another car that isn't going as fast as you want.  It amazes me how often drivers do dumb things to try and safe a few seconds on a commute and assume others will just get out of their way.

I do get ticked off at cyclists that pass cars on the right at intersections.  They're asking to get hit by a car turning right, or by a car that has to re-overtake them.  If you're moving as fast as traffic (either because you're fast or traffic is slow) you merge in and act like a car.  If you're slower than traffic then allow passes to happen with safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’ll never understand these people… Perfectly good bike path and this guy chose the road.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68059/B0312AA7-8699-4586-BA2A-EE944CA66927_jpe-2460795.JPG
View Quote

Maybe you should put your phone down and drive.
You’re actually complaining about that?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You ever dodged a walker, hit a curb, or shot out through a intersection on one of those paths at 24-40 mph?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LoL. Those are all rules of the road too. Cyclists refuse to be bothered, so they bother everyone else instead.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
elitist pricks (esp in Boulder)
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:If they all started stopping then the cage ragers would bitch about having to overtake or wait for right hand turns.  It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.
View Quote

Cage Rager
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here we go.
View Quote

And turn signals, headlights, taillights, helmets, seatbelts, and emissions checks.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe you should put your phone down and drive.
You’re actually complaining about that?
View Quote

So my passenger isn’t allowed to take a pic of the dumbass?

Just pointing out assholes like that have more arrogance than they do concern for their own self preservation. They are the Darwin Award winners of the fitness crowd.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has someone suggested making cyclists take an exam to get a cycling license, have yearly bike inspections, and also pay for yearly registrations as well as pay property tax on them if they consider them a vehicle, plus be forced to carry vehicle  insurance on them?

I'm not for this, but it would be kinda fun to watch cyclists freak out when they have the same standards for being on the road as a motorized vehicle.

Like I said, I'm not actually for this. But the outrage would be interesting
View Quote

Yes, no one is going to think about any of that crap before getting pissed off when a bicycle is in their lane slowing them down.  Wouldn't even matter if bicycles had to pay an inconvenience tax to use the road.  People just get pissed off if you inconvenience them in any sort of way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has someone suggested making cyclists take an exam to get a cycling license.
View Quote

Hell yeah!!   If you are going to ride on the road with the big boys you should be required to know the applicable laws.  And pay to help maintain those roads.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some years ago I generally put 10k miles a year on a road bike.  Raced, rode cyclocross on the offseason, etc.  I lived in a town where I did most of my errands, commuting, and grocery getting by bike.  I was in good shape then and wish I had the time to still do it.  These days its neighborhood laps with my kid in a trailer.

Out on the road, some of them were small group rides.  A few of them were large group rides.  Many of them were solo.  We mostly rode big loops on rural roads outside of town.  We had routes that mostly made up of roads where the traffic was sparse, the lanes were wide, etc.  As a cyclist you're well aware of the roads that are safe and those that are not.  You are well aware when there are cars behind.

In all the years I was hit twice in city traffic by dumbasses that failed to yield right of way due to underestimating my speed.  I had friends killed.  One of them was plowed over from behind on a road that was two lanes in each direction...they could've passed him in the other lane.  I never met my uncle because a drunk driver hit him as a teenager...riding the subdivision with friends during daylight.  As a cyclist you have to ride defensively because people either don't see you or underestimate your speed.  But it goes both ways.  I know people that got tickets for rolling a right turn or a stopsign.  They deserved it.  I can balance on two wheels (stopped, without unclipping) so why not just stop?

Virginia now requires two feet of passing distance.  Maybe some drivers know this.  In those days I'd occasionally get buzzed.  Generally I rode defensively which cut way down on the dangerous situation.  If the lane doesn't give enough room for safe passing within the lane, I don't ride so close to the edge to do so.  By moving a foot or two over, I could control the situation.  First, I'm more visible.  Second, you're not in a position to pass me until there's no oncoming traffic and it's safe for all of us.  

If you were/are ever held up by me, I promise it won't be long before you get a chance to safely pass.  You may get ticked off, but as a driver how often are you stuck behind another car that isn't going as fast as you want.  It amazes me how often drivers do dumb things to try and safe a few seconds on a commute and assume others will just get out of their way.

I do get ticked off at cyclists that pass cars on the right at intersections.  They're asking to get hit by a car turning right, or by a car that has to re-overtake them.  If you're moving as fast as traffic (either because you're fast or traffic is slow) you merge in and act like a car.  If you're slower than traffic then allow passes to happen with safe.
View Quote

I drive every day on a stretch of backroad that has really zero safe places to pass a bike because it is basically nothing but blind corners.

The county I live in has invested lots of money in bike trails using my tax dollars.

But for some reason all the cyclists want to ride on this road. So if you get stuck behind a bike at the beginning of the road, unless you want to risk a head on collision, you are stuck going 10MPH for the whole stretch of road, and bikes never pull over to let you pass.

Tons of other safe roads to ride or even bike trails/lanes. But they all choose this one road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#28]
They passed law about giving cyclists 4 to 6 feet when passing.

Or you need to slow down to some ridiculous speed.

Yawn.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Did a 20mi beer ride at 100deg heat yesterday. Riding buddy is a big cop. Another riding buddy owns a local brewery where we go afterwards. Fun times
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
MOTORCYCLISTS that is.
View Quote

Who actually try and avoid cagers. Cause physics and all...
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]
#EMPprooftransportationmatters…you fat fucks

Also, where are all these bike paths and bike lanes you rich ass, $100k truck driving, bunch of keyboard commando rage queens?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I drive every day on a stretch of backroad that has really zero safe places to pass a bike because it is basically nothing but blind corners.

The county I live in has invested lots of money in bike trails using my tax dollars.

But for some reason all the cyclists want to ride on this road. So if you get stuck behind a bike at the beginning of the road, unless you want to risk a head on collision, you are stuck going 10MPH for the whole stretch of road, and bikes never pull over to let you pass.

Tons of other safe roads to ride or even bike trails/lanes. But they all choose this one road.
View Quote

If they don't slow down and ease into the shoulder in a passable spot then that makes them douchebags, even if they're in the legal right.  Even skinny tire road bikes handle fine in a little grass or dirt.  Reality is, I spend more time in a line of cars behind a tractor that won't pull in to a driveway than cyclists where there's not a safe passing opportunity RIGHT NOW!

As a skinny road cyclist on a 17# bike, blind corners give me the heebyjeebies.  

If they're really going 10 mph, then yeah, they probably belong on the trails with all the baby stroller and rollerblade types.  Reality is that a road cyclist doesn't really get a good workout in on a trail.  If I'm out for a three hour ride at 20+ average in rolling terrain, there's not really a way to get that workout in on your typical town bike path.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’m just kidding though I wouldn’t waste a beer on a cyclist. I do find y’all infuriating when I’m trying to get home from work and someone on a bike has 30 cars stacked up behind him because he decided to go for a ride on a busy winding road with no shoulder during rush hour. But, a couple of my friends do triathlons and frequently train by riding out in the country where I live and they are all good guys so I try to give cyclists the benefit of the doubt when I encounter them.
View Quote

I’ve never seen 30 cars stacked up behind a cyclist or group of cyclists anywhere CA - including PCH between San Luis Obispo & Monterrey, Napa/Sonoma wine country or Mulholland Drive in SoCal.

I have seen 30 cars stacked up behind slow motor vehicles in those locations though…..
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you shoot through an intersection at 20-42mph when you have a stop sign or are supposed to cross using the pedestrian crossing signals?

And if you’re off the trail on the stretch of road I’m referencing you’re in a 30mph zone. I drive 5-15mph over on the highway, but generally hold within 5mph on surface streets as speeding just doesn’t get you further faster, but I somehow I’m always blowing past the douche canoes on the road. Maybe you could to head to Arlington, VA to teach these assholes how to ride faster if they’re going to ride on the road instead of the 10ft wide path.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Correct

There are a lot of people here who are assholes towards cyclists.  I just don't get the hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of us here are cyclists.

Correct

There are a lot of people here who are assholes towards cyclists.  I just don't get the hate.

If someone is driving down a 45 or 50 mph speed limit road doing 17 mph in a car, in front of you, would you think that is cool?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#36]
The first few pages of this thread are priceless...and exactly why I stopped cycling. Yep, I pay probably more taxes than most but never felt I owned the road. I stopped doing group rides because roadies are total fucking douchebags and the shit talking gets old, even when I make them cry.

I usually had time to ride at lunch by myself. Cars would try and get as close as possible and run me down. I found they got closer when I hugged the curb and would put my in a hole and crash. I only rode specific bike routes where bikes had the entire lane. Cars would still try to hit me. I know a lot of cyclists that have been hit or killed by people fucking with them on the road. Many now ride with hand guns. If you're going to try and kill a cyclist being a douchebag, just be prepared for someone to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#37]

This is the way.
Edit: I still lol every time I watch that one
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the way.

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe I'm bad a driver, but it's not that difficult to drive around cyclists when on the road.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm bad a driver, but it's not that difficult to drive around cyclists when on the road.
View Quote
You're a fine driver. In fact, >95% of people have no issue to give a bit of room and pass with plenty of clearance on the next turn or whatever. It isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the way.

What a cum sucking little bastard.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top