Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By solid:
Looking good. Good luck hunting!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got the father in law one. I got enough meet and got more important building to do than meat processing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
Originally Posted By Requiem:
What does the inside of your outhouse look like?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/6EB41B16-8231-4382-BC21-388E4024DC46_jpe-2917641.JPG

Cool, automatic seat warmer for the winter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn’t get as much done today as I wanted. But progress is progress. The weather always gets a vote.

Got the front wall cut to the angle of the roof and one of the purlins up. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Hard to tell in the picture but it’s pouring rain. Was too windy, wet, and lightning for me to want to be standing on a ladder doing the other side. Attachment Attached File

Foliage is starting to turn a bit up there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#4]
INPUT TIME

alright for the metal roof. 3x16ft metal panels are 92lbs a piece. That is pretty damn long and heavy to get out there. On the roof of the 4Runner could probably only do 2-3 at a time and need 22 of them. Maybe buy some shitty beater trailer to get them out there.

Or get 10ft and 8ft ones and over lap them. But would be overall more material to get out there. And cost more.

16ft ones would be $1745

10 and 8ft combos would be $2048
View Quote
That must be some mighty heavy gauge roofing.  I'm pretty sure normal metal roofing around here is vastly lighter than that.  But it is made to go over an underlayment or at least purlins.  Are you not using purlins?
I built a shed onto the side of my barn and put standard metal roofing over wood purlins. The sheets were about 20 feet, and I'm sure they didn't weigh more than maybe 20-30 pounds.  I believe sheet metal roofing is  typically about 28 gauge, maybe 26 for heavy duty.

ETA: I just checked the thickness of some painted steel roofing I just installed.   It's 0.018" which is 26 gauge, which is 0.75 pounds per sq ft.  16x3 = 48 sq ft x .75=36 pounds per sheet.  So you're using roofing which is about 18 gauge (2#/sq ft)?   Even the walls on a  steel building here don't use sheet metal that heavy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
That must be some mighty heavy gauge roofing.  I'm pretty sure normal metal roofing around here is vastly lighter than that.  But it is made to go over an underlayment or at least purlins.  Are you not using purlins?
I built a shed onto the side of my barn and put standard metal roofing over wood purlins. The sheets were about 20 feet, and I'm sure they didn't weigh more than maybe 20-30 pounds.  I believe it's typically about 28 gauge, maybe 26 for heavy duty.
View Quote

That’s what the site gave for a weight. But they do over estimate on the site for weights it seems.

Bought the metal just gotta pick it up and I’ll know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
INPUT TIME

alright for the metal roof. 3x16ft metal panels are 92lbs a piece. That is pretty damn long and heavy to get out there. On the roof of the 4Runner could probably only do 2-3 at a time and need 22 of them. Maybe buy some shitty beater trailer to get them out there.

Or get 10ft and 8ft ones and over lap them. But would be overall more material to get out there. And cost more.

16ft ones would be $1745

10 and 8ft combos would be $2048
View Quote
Once you see how much they really weigh, try to carry as much at a time as you can.   The more sheets you have stacked, the more each sheet protects and reinforces the other sheets against damage.   I'd expect each sheet to weigh about 36 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
That would make it easy at that weight.

Also appreciate the input. I’m completely making this up. I’ve never built anything before. So sometimes I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/EE75B65B-DAFF-4BD5-892E-8136AEF2A614_jpe-2917642.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/E1F32A59-4417-4FC2-AEA3-E62D9AC52A07_jpe-2917644.JPG

Got the father in law one. I got enough meet and got more important building to do than meat processing.[/quote

I miss bou hunting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Also appreciate the input. I’m completely making this up. I’ve never built anything before. So sometimes I’m wrong.
View Quote

You're doing pretty damn well for someone having never done it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Also appreciate the input. I'm completely making this up. I've never built anything before. So sometimes I'm wrong.
View Quote
That makes what you're doing out there all the more impressive.   I enjoying reading about your adventure and seeing your pics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Can we all chip in and buy OP some PTO days so he can move this thread along???!!!

Love seeing his progress!

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#12]
Originally Posted By mnew007:
Can we all chip in and buy OP some PTO days so he can move this thread along???!!!

Love seeing his progress!

View Quote

Might come to that.

Hoping by the end of labor Day weekend will have the roof on.

Father in law and wife may go up Wednesday and try to get the other purlin up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#14]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Send up the APC bat signal and I could be up there in about a 3-day drive. 3/4 Ton diesel longbed can haul a lot of roofing panels.

Though I'd have to take your trail analysis on whether a longbed extended cab can make that trail.
View Quote

I mean any help is appreciated. Got a plaque I’m having everyone sign that helped out I’m gonna hang in it when I’m done.

Trail isn’t muddy. Just rocky so some clearance is needed. Would make it out the main trail. But too long to make it down the trail to my place off the main trail.

ETA: if they haven’t figured out who I am by now they really suck. But edited it just because. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn’t look like $2100 worth of stuff. But it is.

Last big purchase which is good cause my bank account is hurting. Just the lumber, insulation, and roofing was close to $6,000 for the roof. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Send up the APC bat signal and I could be up there in about a 3-day drive. 3/4 Ton diesel longbed can haul a lot of roofing panels.

Though I'd have to take your trail analysis on whether a longbed extended cab can make that trail.
View Quote

Generous offer!
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Apologize for the lack of updates. Father in law talked a big game about helping get the roof on but we ended up doing not a whole lot and got caught up in other things.

Was funny my dad called him out for it. But my dad isn’t much different. Talked a big game in the planning stage “oh I’ll just go spend a week up there at a time working on it”. But getting him to go for a day is a struggle. And one single overnight is a big deal.

Spent this weekend down south as my favorite band came to Alaska and it’s incredibly rare anyone comes up so I had to go. Attachment Attached File

Will be out there as much as possible moving forward. But also have to get my house ready for winter. Leaves are changing and lows in town are in the 40s now. Cabin is likely in the 30s at night. Cabin is probably less than a month out from the first snow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#18]
You can doo eeeeet! Get a roof and prep for the woodstove,  you've got this!
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Kind of the same thing with me and my family but with the weather playing a big part.

Lots of work to do at camp and firewood to get. We are very low on firewood.

With only the open boat I don't want my dad out in the cold rain. Plus the wind and flat bottom boats don't mix well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Topper1:

Cool, automatic seat warmer for the winter.
View Quote

Uhm, for the toilet, you use styrofoam for the seat..it is instantly warm even in the coldest weather...nothing else comes close for a shitter....

Setting up the shitter for hunt camp..dig hole, drop in 55 gal drum with both ends cut out, drop wood top on with styrofoam seat and folding cover..its hidden back in the brush with enough space in case a bear comes round...once hunt is over, pour in some diesel and burn the shit, pull the drum and fill the hole back in...done...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Uhm, for the toilet, you use styrofoam for the seat..it is instantly warm even in the coldest weather...nothing else comes close for a shitter....

Setting up the shitter for hunt camp..dig hole, drop in 55 gal drum with both ends cut out, drop wood top on with styrofoam seat and folding cover..its hidden back in the brush with enough space in case a bear comes round...once hunt is over, pour in some diesel and burn the shit, pull the drum and fill the hole back in...done...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_7212_jpeg-2928342.JPG
View Quote

LMFAO!!!! Tell us you haven’t done this before, without telling us you haven’t done it before

I’ve shit in the woods every winter for 25 years, and this is amazing!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:25:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#22]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

LMFAO!!!! Tell us you haven’t done this before, without telling us you haven’t done it before

I’ve shit in the woods every winter for 25 years, and this is amazing!!
View Quote

Then he includes a in every post to further reduce his credibility. As if that seals the deal on his “knowledge”. Like he’s the only one who’s survived bush Alaska for decades

Blue foam board is the only way though for a seat, that part is true.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Started by hauling out the metal. Only took 2 trips. Was really uneventful. Attachment Attached File

My dad hauled out some other random shit. Attachment Attached File

Tundra is changing color.

Attachment Attached File

Then started putting up the other purlins. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#25]
Got them all up. Debated starting the roof. But knew there wouldn’t be enough time to get it all done. So just did some cleaning up and what not around the cabin.

And put in a center support. Attachment Attached File

And took a walk down to the creek. Had never been before. Gotta cut a trail. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Trying to rally as many people as I can to go out next weekend and get the whole roof done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#27]
Attachment Attached File

It’s coming. That’s the nearest weather station to the cabin

Next weekend. Looks fun. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#28]

I wish I had those temps coming to bluegrass country.

We'll see another week of 90°+ highs after labor day weekend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Our temps are close to yours but with rain.

Wish I was there to lend a little bit of help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Our temps are close to yours but with rain.

Wish I was there to lend a little bit of help.
View Quote

Just a short flight away. All the cheap beer and Costco burgers you can eat lol.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Might come to that.

Hoping by the end of labor Day weekend will have the roof on.

Father in law and wife may go up Wednesday and try to get the other purlin up.

Shit I'll drive to your place and ride with you. I'll bring my tools, retired residential roofing contractor with 30+ years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

Shit I'll drive to your place and ride with you. I'll bring my tools, retired residential roofing contractor with 30+ years.
View Quote

Not saying I need you buuuuutttttttt……….
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Looking good op. Pedal to the floor man!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By solid:
Looking good op. Pedal to the floor man!
View Quote

Gonna try. Seems like my wife and I failed to rally anyone to come help this weekend. So we’ll go out Friday night and stay through Monday.

Idk if her and I can get the whole roof done in that time but I’m damn sure gonna try.

My dad will come out for a day or two I’m sure but he’s terrified of heights so no way he’s helping with the roof. Probably task him with doing the windows and door or something.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

I can come up anytime after labor day. Poke Ed and make it happen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Gonna try. Seems like my wife and I failed to rally anyone to come help this weekend. So we’ll go out Friday night and stay through Monday.

Idk if her and I can get the whole roof done in that time but I’m damn sure gonna try.

My dad will come out for a day or two I’m sure but he’s terrified of heights so no way he’s helping with the roof. Probably task him with doing the windows and door or something.
View Quote

What are you decking it with, I assume 2x planks run vertically? If you don't already have one, beg, borrow or steal a nail gun and it will cut the time to do that by about 75%. The electric ones are nice but nothing wrong with an old school pneumatic and a gas compressor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

What are you decking it with, I assume 2x planks run vertically? If you don't already have one, beg, borrow or steal a nail gun and it will cut the time to do that by about 75%. The electric ones are nice but nothing wrong with an old school pneumatic and a gas compressor.
View Quote

Yeah. I have a nail gun. It’s electric but does a decent job. Going to spend massive amounts of time just moving ladders around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah. I have a nail gun. It’s electric but does a decent job. Going to spend massive amounts of time just moving ladders around.
View Quote

I'd suggest setting up a stage or plank in line with the middle purloin (not the ridge beam, you'd need to do it once for each side). Have a guy on that catching planks and nailing them in, someone on the ground sending them up. Once set up you could work across that in an hour or two. Might have to go back once it's all in place and nail the tops, not sure you'd be able to reach.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#39]

I'd suggest setting up a stage or plank in line with the middle purloin (not the ridge beam, you'd need to do it once for each side). Have a guy on that catching planks and nailing them in, someone on the ground sending them up. Once set up you could work across that in an hour or two. Might have to go back once it's all in place and nail the tops, not sure you'd be able to reach.
View Quote

Yeah that’s basically the plan. Really hope I can get it all done in 3 days. Probably gonna bring a big tarp in case I don’t.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#40]
this a big snow load area? thats gonna need some serious decking under that purlin span.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#41]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
this a big snow load area? thats gonna need some serious decking under that purlin span.
View Quote

It is. But with it being so steep I hope it naturally slides off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Yeah that’s basically the plan. Really hope I can get it all done in 3 days. Probably gonna bring a big tarp in case I don’t.
View Quote

Should be doable.

Suggest temping in a stop up on the ridge, slide 'em up, snug them up to the stop, tack them in on the center purloin and the bottom if you can reach it. Anything you can't reach can be gone back over one it's all up and you can walk around up there. Pull the stop off and the other side you can just butt up to the side that's already done. An hour of planning and set up-  picturing what you'll need, what could speed things up, and what can go wrong can easily save half a day or more of work.

You doing underlayment?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Should be doable.

Suggest temping in a stop up on the ridge, slide 'em up, snug them up to the stop, tack them in on the center purloin and the bottom if you can reach it. Anything you can't reach can be gone back over one it's all up and you can walk around up there. Pull the stop off and the other side you can just butt up to the side that's already done. An hour of planning and set up-  picturing what you'll need, what could speed things up, and what can go wrong can easily save half a day or more of work.

You doing underlayment?
View Quote

Yeah I got a vapor barrier. Don’t remember what brand. The roofing company hooked me up with everything needed and diagrams of what goes where and what not.

I know it’s not a self healing one as that was like 10x the cost.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Gonna try. Seems like my wife and I failed to rally anyone to come help this weekend. So we'll go out Friday night and stay through Monday.

Idk if her and I can get the whole roof done in that time but I'm damn sure gonna try.

My dad will come out for a day or two I'm sure but he's terrified of heights so no way he's helping with the roof. Probably task him with doing the windows and door or something.
View Quote
Always tough to get help opening weekend of moose hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Shit OP, if I was healthy enough I would come help you, but hell I just got out of the hospital a couple weeks back and still have only felt good enough to leave the house once since....I'm missing hunting this year and that sucks, the one thing I look forward to every year...
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Since this has just kinda turned into the chronicles of my life thread. Brought the canoe down to the pond. Can’t wait for duck opener Friday. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Took the morning off. Then going to the cabin after work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Since this has just kinda turned into the chronicles of my life thread. Brought the canoe down to the pond. Can't wait for duck opener Friday. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/2EBBEBE1-8A93-47DE-91F7-EB65E0D9CBA4_jpe-2938006.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/B05D7F51-D59F-4E1D-8E64-B595D7EF3E9F_jpe-2938007.JPG

Took the morning off. Then going to the cabin after work.[/quote

Going to storm here with winds and rain.
My flat bottom boat does not do good in waves.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#48]
This’ll be fun. Eagle summit is the closest weather station to my cabin. 52mph winds. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#49]
No way I would do roof work with winds like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
No way I would do roof work with winds like that.
View Quote
This.

A good way to get dead.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top