Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I don’t think I’m going out tomorrow night. Probably go out Saturday afternoon. So less time to get shit done. Attachment Attached File

Also rain with the wind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
This.

A good way to get dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
No way I would do roof work with winds like that.
This.

A good way to get dead.

Ever try to handle a decent sized tarp when it's a little windy?  Steel siding is worse.  Don't do that with those winds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No way I would do roof work with winds like that.
View Quote

Especially with big old sheets of metal. That'd be a hard no from me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Or I might go out tomorrow and try and do the windows and doors and make sure the place doesn’t blow over. We’ll see.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Gets better and better. Low of 25 Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=AKZ155&warncounty=AKC050&firewxzone=AKZ155&local_place1=3%20Miles%20WSW%20Bethel%20AK&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=60.7786&lon=-161.8372

Got this going on.
Be interesting on how high the rivers get.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146520/Screenshot_20230831-151610_Samsung_Inter-2938750.jpg

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=AKZ155&warncounty=AKC050&firewxzone=AKZ155&local_place1=3%20Miles%20WSW%20Bethel%20AK&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=60.7786&lon=-161.8372

Got this going on.
Be interesting on how high the rivers get.
View Quote

Looks like we’ll both be having fun this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Snowed Saturday morning. So put that in the books first snow at the cabin was September 2nd.

Putting up a roof in the snow was fun. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Was my dads birthday so we did steaks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Did about 12 hours a day working. Had a fire and a couple beers at the end of each day. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Finished the deck. Mainly to have a spot to put the ladders to do the roof.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Trail rivaled break up coming out as far as water. Seems it rains every damn day. Makes progress slow and miserable. Attachment Attached File

Decent amount of moose hunters out there.

Relationships were definitely tested this weekend.  Cold. Raining. Snow. Was below freezing by a bit Sunday morning but my kids broke my thermometer so I can’t tell you by how much.  Sucks just me my wife and my dad. Which my dad refuses to get on a ladder.

My wife and dad are gonna try and do the windows and doors next weekend since I have to work. And hopefully finish the roof the next. Probably take Friday and Monday off work to maximize time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice  

Our fish-camp house slid to one side a bit and some of the posts sunk.

Too damn much rain and wind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice  

Our fish-camp house slid to one side a bit and some of the posts sunk.

Too damn much rain and wind.
View Quote

Front corner of mine has sunk an inch or two. Tried to level it but even using a 10in log as a Jack point it just pushed the log into the ground not the cabin up. Will have to level once the ground is frozen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Few more from the process.

Also just need to say the fun has certainly wore off. Going damn near every weekend since February?  March?  Add in shitty weather and it’s just gotten to be miserable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Happy birthday to your dad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn. How's your stress now that it's nearing winter and cabin nowhere close to done?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good!!!

Get er dried in and take a deep breath, try not to let the weather get you down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Damn. How's your stress now that it's nearing winter and cabin nowhere close to done?
View Quote

idk just only so much time and energy in a day. Was working 8am-8pm give or take this weekend. . Probably going to be finishing it in the snow at this point. Is what it is at this point.

Also going 3.5 days straight in less than ideal weather conditions I’m pooped.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Bruh. Your summers are short. It'll be another two months before we stop seeing triple digits here. I don't know how you folks can get anything built in such a short period of time. Great job.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:25:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#22]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/745F4238-F2A1-4AD0-AB7B-70C15A35ACF7_jpe-2943080.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/FB754352-C53B-4BE6-9E38-9438EC58AD17_jpe-2943082.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/CFB3E2B6-295D-40A6-A8E8-257CC075A966_jpe-2943083.JPG

Trail rivaled break up coming out as far as water. Seems it rains every damn day. Makes progress slow and miserable. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/12DEB274-7764-43F4-8B9D-016075A2924F_jpe-2943084.JPG

Relationships were definitely tested this weekend.  Cold. Raining. Snow. Was below freezing by a bit Sunday morning but my kids broke my thermometer so I can't tell you by how much.  Sucks just me my wife and my dad. Which my dad refuses to get on a ladder.

My wife and dad are gonna try and do the windows and doors next weekend since I have to work. And hopefully finish the roof the next. Probably take Friday and Monday off work to maximize time.
View Quote
Wish I was closer to give you a hand.   Sorry the help hasn't worked out well.   At least you got most of the roof underlayment done.   If you just get that metal on over it, you've got your main weather shield and can continue with other work.
I assume you found the roof panels weigh a lot less than 90 pounds?
When I built my house, delays made it so the underlayment went on in December and it was January, snowing, windy, bitter cold when we were up there on the roof stapling shingles.
What's with the cables on the truck wheels?   Is theft that much of a problem there?  I would think that'd be about the last place you'd need to worry about that.
Sept 2 for first snow - wow!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
Bruh. Your summers are short. It'll be another two months before we stop seeing triple digits here. I don't know how you folks can get anything built in such a short period of time. Great job.
View Quote
With long daylight construction is balls to the wall till weather slows ya down or your done.
Only way to build in Alaska.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Wish I was closer to give you a hand.   Sorry the help hasn't worked out well.   At least you got most of the roof underlayment done.   If you just get that metal on over it, you've got your main weather shield and can continue with other work.
I assume you found the roof panels weigh a lot less than 90 pounds?
When I built my house, delays made it so the underlayment went on in December and it was January, snowing, windy, bitter cold when we were up there on the roof stapling shingles.
What's with the cables on the truck wheels?   Is theft that much of a problem there?  I would think that'd be about the last place you'd need to worry about that.
Sept 2 for first snow - wow!
View Quote

Yeah the metal is more like 30-35lbs a piece. Not sure why that company has on their website that it’s so heavy. Still be interesting getting it up there.

It’s air hoses. I have an onboard air system and air down before going on the trail and back up before hitting the highway.

I think we’ll be slinging metal in the snow at this point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#25]
It's Alaska.

I would have built it in Grand Cayman.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
It's Alaska.

I would have built it in Grand Cayman.
View Quote

What’s the fun in that?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#27]
As a guy who fell off a 5 step ladder right onto the concrete Saturday your pictures give me pause.  I'm just sore and bruised. . . some of the slippery wet heights you're working at would be a lot worse.  Careful out there, man.

A hummingbird got in our garage and the dumbass thing couldn't figure out how to get itself out. I was up on a ladder that I knew better to be using with my fishing net trying to get him.  Finally did get him out.  Then the stupid thing flew back in again Sunday and couldn't/wouldn't get out.  I said to hell with it, if it dies it dies, I'm not going after it.  Then it somehow got bloodied and decided to paint my 2 month old garage ceiling red before it died.  Fucker.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
As a guy who fell off a 5 step ladder right onto the concrete Saturday your pictures give me pause.  I'm just sore and bruised. . . some of the slippery wet heights you're working at would be a lot worse.  Careful out there, man.

A hummingbird got in our garage and the dumbass thing couldn't figure out how to get itself out. I was up on a ladder that I knew better to be using with my fishing net trying to get him.  Finally did get him out.  Then the stupid thing flew back in again Sunday and couldn't/wouldn't get out.  I said to hell with it, if it dies it dies, I'm not going after it.  Then it somehow got bloodied and decided to paint my 2 month old garage ceiling red before it died.  Fucker.
View Quote

Not my favorite thing climbing on ladders in the rain and wind. But gotta do what you gotta do.

At least you got a funny story out of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

I can come up anytime after labor day. Poke Ed and make it happen.
View Quote

@CaliContractor
@elcope

If you guys are serious I’m going to try and make a big push to get it done next weekend(16th 17th). But I can take leave from work and do 4 5 6 days out there or whatever.

I can’t compensate you other than in food, alcohol, and memories.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#30]

@CaliContractor
@elcope

If you guys are serious I’m going to try and make a big push to get it done next weekend(16th 17th). But I can take leave from work and do 4 5 6 days out there or whatever.

Let me know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

I can come up anytime after labor day. Poke Ed and make it happen.

@CaliContractor
@elcope

Let me know.

I retired at 45, money is no longer the primary driver of my daily efforts. I do stuff nowdays because I want to , not because I have to. It's kinda nice honestly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/745F4238-F2A1-4AD0-AB7B-70C15A35ACF7_jpe-2943080.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/FB754352-C53B-4BE6-9E38-9438EC58AD17_jpe-2943082.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/CFB3E2B6-295D-40A6-A8E8-257CC075A966_jpe-2943083.JPG

Trail rivaled break up coming out as far as water. Seems it rains every damn day. Makes progress slow and miserable. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/12DEB274-7764-43F4-8B9D-016075A2924F_jpe-2943084.JPG

Relationships were definitely tested this weekend.  Cold. Raining. Snow. Was below freezing by a bit Sunday morning but my kids broke my thermometer so I can’t tell you by how much.  Sucks just me my wife and my dad. Which my dad refuses to get on a ladder.

View Quote

Could you give a few details about your makeshift chain set up, assuming that's what that is?

Also, a while back there was some discussion about the relationship to fireweed and the first snows. I don't remember the details but curious how close it was.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By S1W:

Could you give a few details about your makeshift chain set up, assuming that's what that is?

Also, a while back there was some discussion about the relationship to fireweed and the first snows. I don't remember the details but curious how close it was.

View Quote

It’s an onboard air system. There is a compressor and a tank with ports at each wheel so I can inflate and deflate as needed.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The snow was a little sooner than the fireweed prediction. Based off the fireweed had mid September. But the prediction is really more for “winter” than “first snow” if that makes sense. So could still be right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#33]

It’s an onboard air system. There is a compressor and a tank with ports at each wheel so I can inflate and deflate as needed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/DE929B73-2F7F-4571-A1A4-007949CC19AF_jpe-2943697.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/DED27EF7-FDA2-44D3-8DC8-C2B08326F54B_jpe-2943698.JPG

The snow was a little sooner than the fireweed prediction. Based off the fireweed had mid September. But the prediction is really more for “winter” than “first snow” if that makes sense. So could still be right.
View Quote

Got it I’ve run chain through wheels in a pinch to get up a driveway, but only on delivery trucks etc without brakes etc to clear.

Man if I wasn’t laid up with injuries I’d head up there to help. Since I haven’t been doing it every weekend, it would be a fun adventure/diversion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By S1W:

Got it I’ve run chain through wheels in a pinch to get up a driveway, but only on delivery trucks etc without brakes etc to clear.

Man if I wasn’t laid up with injuries I’d head up there to help. Since I haven’t been doing it every weekend, it would be a fun adventure/diversion.
View Quote

I’ve used ratchet straps with the ratchet on the tread in a pinch.

Yeah it used to be fun and something I looked forward to. Definitely wasn’t excited to go out there this weekend. Especially with the weather.

It was nice to see some real progress again though. It seemed like it was stagnant for a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By elcope:

Man, I hate to make the offer, then back out, but I'm TDY to Rock Island that week.
View Quote

No worries. It was a huge ask but figured it was worth asking. I should be able to finish it up in 3 or 4 days. Especially if the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]

We haven't had any rain since the first week of June.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By David0858:

We haven't had any rain since the first week of June.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14727/Screenshot_20230905-184607_png-2944077.JPG
View Quote
Bit of a heat wave going here ; 10-15 degrees hotter than it's been in August

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah you all can keep that.

In town. Attachment Attached File

Cabin

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Hoping for a somewhat dry weekend to fix camp and maybe do a little beaver hunting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I enjoyed reading through your posts on this cabin build and looking at the pics. There are some definite challenges to building in that area but you are doing well working through them.

I had a couple questions: What type of wood are the logs made from and also what type of sealer or finish do you plan to put on the exterior wood?

I live in a log home so it’s been interesting watching your build take shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By McGarrett:
I enjoyed reading through your posts on this cabin build and looking at the pics. There are some definite challenges to building in that area but you are doing well working through them.

I had a couple questions: What type of wood are the logs made from and also what type of sealer or finish do you plan to put on the exterior wood?

I live in a log home so it’s been interesting watching your build take shape.
View Quote

Fairly certain they are spruce. But could be pine. Not sure I guess is the answer. It’s a local mill and there aren’t any  pines around here.

I’m going to sand it all and do some sort of stain. But it’s a next summer thing at this point and I honestly haven’t done any research on it yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you guys get carpenter bees or termites that far north? A cabin like that here would be full of holes in one spring if not treated with a pesticide, and eaten from below in a couple of years by termites without a termiticide treatment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Do you guys get carpenter bees or termites that far north? A cabin like that here would be full of holes in one spring if not treated with a pesticide, and eaten from below in a couple of years by termites without a termiticide treatment.
View Quote

Alaska is the only state without termites. We do have carpenter bees but not a huge concern. I know of a cabin that was built in the 40s and has had very little maintenance done and hasn’t been an issue. Actually was recently infested with bats. But that’s a whole other issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
A mudhut built with spruce logs finally collapsed after 60+ years.
Very little maintenance was done to it and it flooded almost every spring.

Mudhuts are built into the ground and soil put over the logs to help keep it warmer.

One of my relatives houses was moved across the river and is made from hand sawed spruce. Still strong as ever with a bit of paint ever now and then.
Was built around 1920s.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#46]
Glad to see roof is covering everything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad started making the door today. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad started making the door today. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/03F577CD-672A-448E-ACD9-EDDD48EAF9E5_jpe-2946023.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/14F64369-4000-4456-B5FD-B290C2CCE996_jpe-2946024.JPG[/quote

Termination dust in chigach mtns.
View Quote

Won’t be long. Didn’t post this one before but shows the inside nicely.

Attachment Attached File

I’m trying to get my shifts this weekend at work covered so I can go out.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top