Page / 32
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking good OP!
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

Won’t be long. Didn’t post this one before but shows the inside nicely.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/E1FEEFA0-E034-456A-BC90-FB1DD2C1F2D3_jpe-2946055.JPG

I’m trying to get my shifts this weekend at work covered so I can go out.
View Quote

Excellent! So close now!
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AC_Doctor] [#3]
Is it ever sunny there, lol?  Isn’t moose hunting season coming up soon?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AC_Doctor:
Is it ever sunny there, lol?  Isn’t moose hunting season coming up soon?
View Quote

Not this year it seems. Rain every damn day. Moose is open now. Fair amount of trucks at the trail head. Which I’ve been there every weekend. Since February and not seen one single moose. So good luck to them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Won't be long. Didn't post this one before but shows the inside nicely.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/E1FEEFA0-E034-456A-BC90-FB1DD2C1F2D3_jpe-2946055.JPG

I'm trying to get my shifts this weekend at work covered so I can go out.[/quote

That is nice.

Going to oil it next year?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AC_Doctor:
Is it ever sunny there, lol?  Isn't moose hunting season coming up soon?
View Quote
Certain federal lands have been open since the last week of August.

To darn much rain so far for me taking my dad out in a open boat.

Part of unit 18 is open on the Yukon side till march.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#7]
Disregard
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

Won't be long. Didn't post this one before but shows the inside nicely.

I'm trying to get my shifts this weekend at work covered so I can go out.[/quote

That is nice.

Going to oil it next year?
View Quote

Going to sand and stain next year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The cabin building project may be getting tiresome for you, but I’m still enjoying it!  

Keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By steelworker:
The cabin building project may be getting tiresome for you, but I’m still enjoying it!  

Keep up the good work.

View Quote

Yeah this. I don't hate a 3rd gen 4Runner doing stuff either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Went out Friday night. First time it was dark on the trail heading out. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got all the rafters on. That killed all of Saturday.

Had a heck of a storm overnight with wind and rain. Today was actually really nice and sunny. Attachment Attached File

Trimmed the t&g and put vents in. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Interesting. I assume you're going to insulate between the rafters and then plywood or OSB deck?

When I saw the underlayment I wasn't thinking about the obvious need for insulation and assumed that was your roof deck. So that's just vapor barrier for the interior? Is is getting more underlayment directly under the metal roof?

Sorry for all the questions, never seen a roof put together quite like that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks great! It's going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got a window and door in. A little hard since the front corner of the cabin has settled a couple inches. And the ground is too wet from all the rain to raise it. Will have to wait for the ground to be frozen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]

It's an onboard air system. There is a compressor and a tank with ports at each wheel so I can inflate and deflate as needed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/DE929B73-2F7F-4571-A1A4-007949CC19AF_jpe-2943697.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/DED27EF7-FDA2-44D3-8DC8-C2B08326F54B_jpe-2943698.JPG

The snow was a little sooner than the fireweed prediction. Based off the fireweed had mid September. But the prediction is really more for "winter" than "first snow" if that makes sense. So could still be right.
View Quote
Our fireweed never managed to bloom and it's already dead.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

Yeah this. I don't hate a 3rd gen 4Runner doing stuff either.
View Quote

Got new tie rods and an alignment done on it. Drives so much better now.

Plans moving forward are:
Projector headlights
Tire carrier
Roof rack. Front bumper. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#19]
Getting it dry will be huge..congrats on making it happen. On the cheap thrown some led bulbs in the back up lights . Out in the woods that is a handy feature.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Interesting. I assume you're going to insulate between the rafters and then plywood or OSB deck?

When I saw the underlayment I wasn't thinking about the obvious need for insulation and assumed that was your roof deck. So that's just vapor barrier for the interior? Is is getting more underlayment directly under the metal roof?

Sorry for all the questions, never seen a roof put together quite like that.
View Quote

For right now the plan is insulation then strapping then metal.

My biggest limiting factor is time. And putting anything on a near 40 degree roof with 2 people takes a lot of time. Just putting the rafters up was almost a whole day. So plywood would be the same if not more.

Not to mention the time involved in hauling it out there. That would be hours as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Getting it dry will be huge..congrats on making it happen. On the cheap thrown some led bulbs in the back up lights . Out in the woods that is a handy feature.
View Quote

It has LEDs in everything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:53:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#22]
Looks good Rosta!

As said add some led pods/bar on for more light.

Two very nice days in a row out here.
Bit of frost this morning.
But more rain coming.
Hauled some scrap lumber up to camp and did some work on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Meant to point it out originally but was tired. That’s my cabin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
That’s so cool
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking good. Are those wood blocks the foundation for long term?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Durango95:

I bet that would be paradise on a snowmobile!
View Quote

It can be. Till you get stuck. That’s how all the logs got out there. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:
Looking good. Are those wood blocks the foundation for long term?
View Quote

It is. Will need to replace them every so often. But it’s a pretty common method here. Even cabins in town.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#29]
After cabin is built, are you going to build any other buildings?   Such as a "carport" (for lack of a better term) to keep snow off snowmobiles, equipment, etc?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#30]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
After cabin is built, are you going to build any other buildings?   Such as a "carport" (for lack of a better term) to keep snow off snowmobiles, equipment, etc?
View Quote

A wood shed for sure. That’ll be first thing next spring. Will haul the materials out this winter/use left over from the cabin.

Then probably just a general purpose shed for storing equipment(generator, chain saws, shovels etc).

What I don’t want to turn it into is next summer is never ending projects as well. But it will likely still be a good amount.

I can’t even remember the last time I spent a weekend at my house. Taken maybe 3-4 weekends off since Februaryish
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Thats a great idea.   There's a part of me that wants to fly to AK and help you out over a weekend - mainly because I want to experience what it's like and say "I helped someone build a cabin in Alaska! "

but I imagine that'd actually be more of a burden for you than the help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Durango95:

I bet that would be paradise on a snowmobile!
View Quote
It s a paradise for snogos.
View Quote
Only thing about sheds is they also have to be built high enough off the ground so  that snow/rain/slush does not freeze them in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Thats a great idea.   There's a part of me that wants to fly to AK and help you out over a weekend - mainly because I want to experience what it's like and say "I helped someone build a cabin in Alaska! "

but I imagine that'd actually be more of a burden for you than the help.
View Quote

Shoot any help is appreciate. I think my wife and I have worn out most of our friends from it. But do have some help in the next few weekends. Hopefully wrap up the roof. Would really like it to be done this weekend but not sure if that’s realistic or not. Seems everything takes longer than I think it will. And getting the metal panels on and secured to a steep roof is going to take some doing.

Next big thing will be getting the wood stove piping installed.

Doing windows in the snow isn’t the biggest deal. Doing roofing would really suck. Can always just put plywood over the future window holes and hold off till next summer on them(there isn’t insulation where they are going to go so would be quite drafty with nothing)
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weasel_Master] [#34]
Much issue sourcing firewood?  Not as thick of woods to seem like there's plenty of dead fall around.  On the other hand, not many other people fighting for it either.

Do you plan to trap up that way during winter or just kind of a spot to get away to for a quiet weekend and lay low?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
Much issue sourcing firewood?  Not as thick of woods to seem like there's plenty of dead fall around.  On the other hand, not many other people fighting for it either.

Do you plan to trap up that way during winter or just kind of a spot to get away to for a quiet weekend and lay low?
View Quote

I cleared enough and there’s enough dead standing I shouldn’t have to worry for a little while.

All the state land around me allows you to collect dead/down on it. There is also a state wood cutting lot a few miles away I can go get all I want.

Do plan on running a trap line. Lots of predators in the area. Plan on doing a bear bait station as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't sweat the window insulation too much.   Once the roof is on and you get a wood stove running, you'll find that it stays pretty damn cozy.

Put some cheap plastic sheeting over the windows (for light when you're staying there) and just screw some plywood over it (when you're not there) and it'll be fine for the winter.

Getting the interior dry and warm will be a huge morale booster, and you'll be happy even if it takes another year to trim the place out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Man that's going to be a really nice cabin when your done. I wish I could do something like that and stay married. But Florida girl won't go lol

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice outhouse in last pic
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/17D845F9-D908-4B35-8A96-458C7C344CBE_jpe-2950140.JPG

Meant to point it out originally but was tired. That’s my cabin.
View Quote

That IS a nice spot. Looking really good and you are kicking ass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#40]

I cleared enough and there's enough dead standing I shouldn't have to worry for a little while.

All the state land around me allows you to collect dead/down on it. There is also a state wood cutting lot a few miles away I can go get all I want.

Do plan on running a trap line. Lots of predators in the area. Plan on doing a bear bait station as well.
View Quote
What kind of furbearers are around there?  Fox, Lynx, marten, fisher?  I'm a flatlander but that countryside doesn't look like it would support a lot of critters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
What kind of furbearers are around there?  Fox, Lynx, marten, fisher?  I'm a flatlander but that countryside doesn't look like it would support a lot of critters.
View Quote

Saw tons of wolf and fox tracks last winter. I saw the only wolverine I’ve ever seen not too far from there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Love the 3RD Gen Runner…..the cabin is looking good too
Keep up the hard work OP, you’ll have grandkids that will thank you.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#43]
My dads going out today to cut insulation and work on windows.

Looks like I’m paying the price at work for getting last weekend covered and I’m gonna have the 3 weekends following this weekend. So really gotta get most of the metal on this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#44]

For right now the plan is insulation then strapping then metal.

My biggest limiting factor is time. And putting anything on a near 40 degree roof with 2 people takes a lot of time. Just putting the rafters up was almost a whole day. So plywood would be the same if not more.

Not to mention the time involved in hauling it out there. That would be hours as well.
View Quote

Great thread.... given you put the joists over the plywood.  Are you going to block or bridge them against a sideways collapse?  They are going to be under very heavy loads of snow.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#45]
Originally Posted By AdLucem:

Great thread.... given you put the joists over the plywood.  Are you going to block or bridge them against a sideways collapse?  They are going to be under very heavy loads of snow.

https://mellowpine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Floor-Joist-Blocking-and-Bridging.jpg
View Quote

That is dimensional tongue and groove, not plywood. The whole point of having a roof that steep is it does not carry as much snow load. I do agree that some blocking is needed but it doesn’t need to be crazy, 2 per slot at most, and since he is using foam board he can stand it vertically between the lengths.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

That is dimensional tongue and groove, not plywood. The whole point of having a roof that steep is it does not carry as much snow load. I do agree that some blocking is needed but it doesn’t need to be crazy, 2 per slot at most, and since he is using foam board he can stand it vertically between the lengths.
View Quote

This sounds about right.  Thanks for your building knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah that’s the plan.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#48]
If I were closer I would be out there as many weekends as you needed. This is definitely my wheelhouse having a construction background.

Its looking great and I agree with winter fast approaching and it mostly closed in a stove would be high on the list of "next things to do".

Keep trucking!
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
If I were closer I would be out there as many weekends as you needed. This is definitely my wheelhouse having a construction background.

Its looking great and I agree with winter fast approaching and it mostly closed in a stove would be high on the list of "next things to do".

Keep trucking!
View Quote

The stove is so heavy I think it’s gonna have to be brought out over the snow.

Looking like I should have a few helping hands this weekend so hopefully make some great progress
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#50]
awesome thread!  Keep postin picts!

Does that door need more to be bear-proof?
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top