Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 461
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Nice. Omsktransmash builds TOS flame throwers, MSTA artillery and various other AFVs.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

How in the blue fu($ can a country, that bases everything off air superiority, be lacking in air defense.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

US really can’t spare air defense assets, there’s some equipment we can provide that might cost money to transfer but wouldn’t impact us severely if we became involved in a major war but air defense is certainly not that. But Ukraine needs air defense. This is the pickle amd why Europe better use this window to pick up the pace on production. To me I picture it as needing a pez dispenser scale of production output rather than a 15% increase or even a 50% increase compared to 2022 rates. So when I hear X country is doing X my barometer is how does that compare to a pez dispenser. I’m talking Simpsons Duff brewery mass production.

How in the blue fu($ can a country, that bases everything off air superiority, be lacking in air defense.....

Victim of our own success. The US has had such a huge lead in fighter + stealth aircraft for so long, that its largely expected to completely scour the skies of enemy aircraft using its jets. Air Defense was achieved by knocking out anything that could fly. A success story for the US for like 50 years.

Now we're in a missile and drone age, and we're lacking in ground based air defense because we never really needed it before.

Whereas the Russians always expected their air force to lose, so invested masssssively in ground based air defenses.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Yeah, ground air defense platforms are obviously a must, in any war making portfolio. But I don't believe it should be a major part of it. Because it's just a matter of fact that it is much easier, cheaper and faster to produce missiles than it is to produce interceptors. You are NEVER going to win the battle of speed of production and production costs against the attacker. I think in this case the Offense is the best defense.

I think you are much better served to spend a lot on ISR, and targeting the other guy's missile platforms versus trying to play the Air defense game to the hilt and pretty quickly run out of interceptors no matter how much effort you put into it.

"Shoot archers. Not arrows"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Obviously, I'm not in the decision making centers. But I'm thinking much of the Air Defense theory in USAF is things like this:

https://media.defense.gov/2007/Jul/30/2000465452/2000/2000/0/070713-F-8820I-124.JPG

I mean, we do see jets shooting the shit out of drones and cruise missiles with Israel vs Iran, Red Sea and Ukraine.

Different schools of thought are debating that but the problem for US aircraft in the Pacific is air refueling capacity

https://warontherocks.com/2023/04/in-defense-of-denial-why-deterring-china-requires-new-airpower-thinking/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_2573-3319373.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_2572-3319374.jpg

Yeah, ground air defense platforms are obviously a must, in any war making portfolio. But I don't believe it should be a major part of it. Because it's just a matter of fact that it is much easier, cheaper and faster to produce missiles than it is to produce interceptors. You are NEVER going to win the battle of speed of production and production costs against the attacker. I think in this case the Offense is the best defense.

I think you are much better served to spend a lot on ISR, and targeting the other guy's missile platforms versus trying to play the Air defense game to the hilt and pretty quickly run out of interceptors no matter how much effort you put into it.

"Shoot archers. Not arrows"

The issue is you gotta survive an initial surprise arrow attack; without ground based air defense most of our bases in the Pacific (and the jets parked on them) will be scoured from the surface of the earth.

And of course even if you shoot a lot of the archers, some arrows are coming through, and they may be headed somewhere important (say a power plant).

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
???? ?? ??????? ? ?????????? ? ??????? ???? ??????? ?????????? ??-30??

During the operation in the waters of the Black Sea, the soldiers of the special unit of the GUR of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine destroyed a Russian Su-30SM combat aircraft with a MANPADS hit. The fighter that fell into the sea belonged to the 43rd separate naval aviation regiment of the Russian Air Force, which is based at the airfield of the city of Saka in the temporarily occupied Crimea. The occupiers lost contact with their warship on September 11, 2024 around 5 am. Roughly three hours later, the Russians launched a search and rescue operation involving the An-26 aircraft, as well as Mi-8 and Ka-27 helicopters. At lunch time, the invaders reported to the command about a characteristic stain from aviation fuel discovered in the sea, 70 kilometers northwest of Cape Tarkhankut, and soon they also saw the wreckage of the destroyed Su-30SM. The cost of such an aircraft is approximately 50 million dollars. The fight continues! Glory to Ukraine!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Tech bro ghetto fabulous cruise missiles ftw Goal is cheeper and much faster & easier to produce cruise missiles / mini cruise missiles.

https://www.twz.com/air/anduril-introduces-barracuda-m-that-aims-to-disrupt-the-cruise-missile-market

Introducing: Barracuda-M Family of Cruise Missiles
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#7]
@Prime

Anything new about the fertilizer ship in Norway?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
@Prime

Anything new about the fertilizer ship in Norway?
View Quote

Good question.

https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-english/19/2358062/cargo-ship-carrying-russian-chemicals-seeks-repairs-in-lithuania-s-klaipeda

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Daily Ukraine map thread for Wednesday 11th September 2024

Highlights: More footage of the Russian assault on Snagost in Kursk emerged, with Russian vehicles seen coming from the east. We've widened their control substantially, and it's expected to be adjusted further.

There appears to be initial video of a small Ukrainian assault to the west of all that action in the direction of Glushkovo, but nothing significant of note has appeared yet

Russian forces raise flag in Lisivka, and are also sighted in Ukrainsk, so they are still advancing in the Selydove direction.

Russian forces have also likely closed the Nevelske pocket, so we have marked that as Russian controlled and adjusted the front in that direction

Map: https://uacontrolmap.com

View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Reconnaissance in the "Ukrainian Vietnam". Unique footage of a combat operation in the swamps of Luhansk region.

Cleared occupiers' positions, eliminated enemy infantry and trophy weapons - this is how the reconnaissance unit of the 12th Azov Brigade haunted the invaders in the dense forests near the Siverskyi Donets.

The GoPro footage demonstrates the specifics of the reconnaissance men's combat work in difficult terrain. The enemy can hide behind every bush. That is why every movement of the body and of the weapon has to be thought out.

Watch the full video of the combat work of a Special Forces reconnaissance unit in the forests of Luhansk oblast on our YouTube channel.

???????????????? ??? ???????? «?????». ???????? ?? ?????????? ????? ?????????
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Another blow to the Kostyantynivska community — 3 people were killed and 2 wounded in Virolyubivka.

The village came under artillery fire this morning. One of the shells hit the territory of the enterprise where people were. A truck with humanitarian aid and a car were destroyed.

In addition, the private sector of Kostyantynivka was again under attack - 7 houses and a power line were damaged there.

Again and again forced to repeat: evacuate! Evacuation saves lives!

https://t.me/DonetskaODA/20279

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:47:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#16]
24th Brigade repair battalion near Chasiv Yar.

??????? ??. ?????????? ? ????? ???????, ?? ????, ????? ???????? — ????? ??? ?????? 24 ????. ENG SUB
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
They are also demanding the removal of any existing posts on these topics. Law enforcement officials are reportedly "unhappy" that news of these UAV incidents has reached the federal level.
View All Quotes
They are also demanding the removal of any existing posts on these topics. Law enforcement officials are reportedly "unhappy" that news of these UAV incidents has reached the federal level.
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXQnil6WYAAotJi?format=jpg&name=large

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
BREAKING ‼️  Russia manages to get French spare parts from Thales and Safran to service its SU-30 in Kazakhstan -- informnapalm reports

"We reveal a scheme that allows Russia to continue servicing its military aircraft using French equipment, spare parts, and technology despite international sanctions. (...) This example of a Russo-Kazakhstani cooperation shows an intricate arrangement making it possible for the Russians to get access to advanced military technology despite relevant Western sanctions under cover of a Kazakhstani military contractor.

We urge both journalists and readers to actively participate in sharing this investigation, which is now available in multiple languages worldwide."

Link to article
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Not all members of the SS and NSDAP were criminals and Nazis, said leader of the German far-right

Tino Hrupalla, co-chairman of the far-right Alternative for Germany party, said this during a talk show on the ZDF television channel. He was asked what he thought about the words of fellow party member Maximilian Krah. The latter recently told an Italian newspaper that the SS in general was not a criminal organization.

"Of course the SS was a criminal organization, there is no discussion about that. But not everyone who was a member of the SS committed crimes. In the last years of the war, the SS and Waffen-SS recruited children who did not commit war crimes.  And it can also hardly be said that everyone who was in the NSDAP was a Nazi," Hrupalla said.

📰 BILD
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#20]
hope he rests in piss soon
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
David Muir- " Do you want Ukraine to win this war?"
President Trump-" I want the war to stop, I want to save lives that are being uselessly...people being killed by the millions, it's so much worse than the numbers that you're getting which are fake numbers."

Consistent with what I've heard him say in the past. End the war quickly no matter what it takes.
View Quote

As a Trump fan, I was very disappointed by Trump's comments on Ukraine during the debate.

I had assumed Trump was keeping his negotiating options open with Russia and Ukraine and thus limiting his specific comments. But he sounded weak especially his concerns over nuclear war. Well, we should all be concerned over a nuclear war but expressing it so openly tells Russia their saber rattling is working on Trump too, not just Xiden. Over all Trump had a very weak night.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:02:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#22]
What is Erik Prince about to do? Link to news article. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:03:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]

There's more than a few contenders competing for cheaper guided munitions options.  I saw some cheaper torpedoes as well recently.  We'll see who wins in the fly off competitions.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Kyiv has been...noisy...the last couple days.
They seem confident in their ability to get high profile visitors in and out.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By fike:

You make quite a few posts complaining with the benefit of hindsight, but I’m not sure this one works.

Walking away from Afghanistan two months after 9/11 would have gone over swimmingly with the American people. Sorry folks, just trying to save the taxpayers some money.

View Quote

No, I do agree with you. We should have, AND DID, give it maximum effort in A-stan but only in limited areas and limited times. At the further risk of more hypocrisy.. I think we should have kept a contingent there to shore up the ANA, assuming the conditions were still fairly stable. It's just frustrating to see the US going from blowing billions one minute and then talking about expensive shipping costs the next. Reminds me of the complaints here by certain SME's about the shipping costs of sending ammo to Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Forbes article link
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Forbes article link
View Quote

Based on the speed of the rest of the operation, they might be pushed out by 2029
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Reuters: Zelenskyy and Xi Jinping may meet as early as in October

This was stated by former Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Oleksandr Chalyy at the opening of the main Chinese military forum "Xiangshan".

According to him, diplomatic relations between Kyiv and Beijing have improved, so direct talks between the leaders are possible.

Although China maintains close ties with Moscow, it positions itself as a neutral party in Russia's war against Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
...why is he not being executed..
View Quote

Half of DC would need to go also so...
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
How much would the cost be to fly them back to the US?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

Don't forget the ones we left for the taliban!
How much would the cost be to fly them back to the US?

How much would it cost to toss a pint of diesel fuel and a match on them so the enemy wouldn't get them?

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#32]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Half of DC would need to go also so...
View Quote
There are more out there seeking power and trying get into Congress, like this former CIA Office and Green Beret…:
Link to article: Meet the Kremlin's ideal Congressional candidateArticle is in spoiler below.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Ground drone deleted and yeeted them. 20 sec video.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#34]
How does Ukraine prevent their gains in Kursk from becoming a static, defensive operation against orc attacks to regain that territory?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link to FT article: Top Chinese general to visit US as militaries step up engagement | Move marks latest effort to defuse tensions over Taiwan and South China Sea

”A top Chinese military commander will visit US Indo-Pacific Command in Hawaii next week as the two militaries step up engagement amid regional concerns about tensions over Taiwan and the South China Sea.

General Wu Yanan, the People’s Liberation Army Southern Theater commander, will attend a defence conference hosted by Admiral Samuel Paparo, head of US Indo-Pacific Command, according to people familiar with the plans.”
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

View Quote
Zelensky promised Erdogan that Crimean Tatars who were ethnically cleansed by the Soviets and (to a lesser extent) the Russians could return when Ukraine retakes it, and has received significant Turkish support in return.  If/when Ukraine follows through Erdogan's photo will be added to Islamic history books as a hero for returning a Muslim population to their homeland, which they stole fair and square from European Christians 600 years ago before it got stolen back over the past 300 years.  If Ukraine manages to retake Crimea and the Tatars return in numbers then it will be interesting to watch Ukraine trying to prevent Turkey from annexing it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MKSheppard:
South Korea is quite specific about all this; it's been detailed over the years in various articles because South Korea's policy gives arms controllers fits as being "escalatory" and "destabilizing", so they write lengthy articles; which is how we know about most of this.

For those of you in the peanut gallery; there's a reason South Korea drew up these specific plans:

26 March 2010: ROKS Cheonan is sunk by a North Korean torpedo, with 46 KIA.

23 November 2010: North Korea fired 170+ shells/rockets at Yeonpyeong Island, killing 20 and wounding 50+ (both military and civilians).

Those incidents nearly 15 years in the past, profoundly affected South Korean policymakers; leading to the 2016-2022 period where they formulated the "Three Axis System":

Axis 1.) The Kill Chain -- in short, Curtis LeMay is alive and well in South Korea. If SK even so much as *THINKS* North Korea is going to do something, they will immediately and pre-emptively strike North Korean Nuclear and Missile facilities right away.

Axis 2.) The Korean Air & Missile Defense (KAMD) System -- The Korean version of the US NMD/TMD system, with multiple types of interceptors, to deal with the inevitable North Korean response(s) to Axises 1 and 3. Lasers are already being introduced/integrated (Block I Laser) to deal with UAVs and other targets in KAMD.

Axis 3.) The Korea Massive Punishment and Retaliation (KMPR) Plan -- as mentioned before to you -- it's the "Grand Tour" of North Korean Leadership locations. South Korea will escalate massively right from the start on all North Korean leadership targets within range of South Korean munitions or special forces.
View Quote

Relevant articles:
https://www.csis.org/analysis/south-koreas-offensive-military-strategy-and-its-dilemma
https://www.cfr.org/blog/south-koreas-revitalized-three-axis-system
https://ipdefenseforum.com/2024/09/south-korea-strengthening-three-axis-defense-system-enhancing-readiness/
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14702436.2024.2303412
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MKSheppard:

South Korea is quite specific about all this; it's been detailed over the years in various articles because South Korea's policy gives arms controllers fits as being "escalatory" and "destabilizing", so they write lengthy articles; which is how we know about most of this.

For those of you in the peanut gallery; there's a reason South Korea drew up these specific plans:

26 March 2010: ROKS Cheonan is sunk by a North Korean torpedo, with 46 KIA.

23 November 2010: North Korea fired 170+ shells/rockets at Yeonpyeong Island, killing 20 and wounding 50+ (both military and civilians).

Those incidents nearly 15 years in the past, profoundly affected South Korean policymakers; leading to the 2016-2022 period where they formulated the "Three Axis System":

Axis 1.) The Kill Chain -- in short, Curtis LeMay is alive and well in South Korea. If SK even so much as *THINKS* North Korea is going to do something, they will immediately and pre-emptively strike North Korean Nuclear and Missile facilities right away.

Axis 2.) The Korean Air & Missile Defense (KAMD) System -- The Korean version of the US NMD/TMD system, with multiple types of interceptors, to deal with the inevitable North Korean response(s) to Axises 1 and 3. Lasers are already being introduced/integrated (Block I Laser) to deal with UAVs and other targets in KAMD.

Axis 3.) The Korea Massive Punishment and Retaliation (KMPR) Plan -- as mentioned before to you -- it's the "Grand Tour" of North Korean Leadership locations. South Korea will escalate massively right from the start on all North Korean leadership targets within range of South Korean munitions or special forces.
View Quote

North Korea has thousands of Tunnels containing just as many artillery pieces within range of Seoul. It would not be pretty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Images at TG link

War criminals were blown up in Russia - the invaders used aviation

💥 On September 11, 2024, in the city of Yekaterinburg, Russia, an explosion rang out near the checkpoint of the military unit where the Russian Guard is based.

🤝 The act of retaliating against the Russian invaders involved in the organization of torture camps in the occupied territories of Ukraine was carried out in cooperation with the GUR of the MoU by representatives of the underground, which acts against the Putin regime on the territory of the aggressor state.

The fragmentary explosive device made by them with a total mass of 6 kg was covertly placed near the checkpoint of the Russian Guards.

⚡️ As a result of the detonation, enemy personnel were blown up, and the automobile equipment of Russian criminals was damaged.

👥 To eliminate the consequences of the explosion, Russian special services and ambulances arrived at the scene, and a medical evacuation helicopter was launched into the air.

❗️ The GUR of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine reminds that there will be a fair retribution for every war crime.

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

https://t.me/DIUkraine/4411

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Kyiv has been...noisy...the last couple days.
They seem confident in their ability to get high profile visitors in and out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXQ8-a8WwAA1K1n?format=png&name=small
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#42]
There are more out there seeking power and trying get into Congress, like this former CIA Office and Green Beret…:
Link to article: Meet the Kremlin's ideal Congressional candidateArticle is in spoiler below.
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I wonder if I have Joe Kent on my ignore list?

And go figure, a guy from the CIA gets his history and facts wrong. NATO caused the war, LOL. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXRXugFWoAAhgUp?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXRXugFXgAE_9lw?format=jpg&name=large

Another blow to the Kostyantynivska community — 3 people were killed and 2 wounded in Virolyubivka.

The village came under artillery fire this morning. One of the shells hit the territory of the enterprise where people were. A truck with humanitarian aid and a car were destroyed.

In addition, the private sector of Kostyantynivka was again under attack - 7 houses and a power line were damaged there.

Again and again forced to repeat: evacuate! Evacuation saves lives!

https://t.me/DonetskaODA/20279

View Quote

https://www.icrc.org/en/news-release/ukraine-3-icrc-staff-killed-after-shelling-hits-aid-distribution-site-donetsk
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#44]
🙄

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

I wonder if I have Joe Kent on my ignore list?

And go figure, a guy from the CIA gets his history and facts wrong. NATO caused the war, LOL. Dumbass.
View Quote

But remember, the republican's arent push Russian IO and propaganda
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:56:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#47]
~1 min video in tweet. "So I think it goes like this: Trump sits down, says to the Russians, to the Ukrainians, to the Europeans, you guys need to figure out what a peaceful settlement looks like. And it will probably look roughly the same as the current dividing line between Russia and Ukraine. It will become like a demilitarized zone. It will be strongly fortified so that the Russians do not invade again. Ukraine retains its independent sovereignty. Russia receives a guarantee of neutrality from Ukraine, it does not join NATO, it does not join any allied institutions." — J.D. Vance
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 461
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top