Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Click to see the graph.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Click to see the graph.

I think it's important to note that it's estimated amount for 2024 (bottom left corner).

PDF to the actual NATO Defence Expenditure Document released June 2024.
https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2024/6/pdf/240617-def-exp-2024-en.pdf

Also take note of page 5, graph #6. 2023 and 2024 expenditures are also estimates. How do they not have an exact total for 2023. We're already half way into the year 2024?

Another thing to take note, despite proclaiming to commit 2% GDP in 2014 after the Russian annexation of Crimea, you had significant amount of non-committal results:

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_49198.htm#:~:text=In%202014%2C%20NATO%20Heads%20of,instability%20in%20the%20Middle%20East.

In 2014, NATO Heads of State and Government agreed to commit 2% of their national Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to defence spending, to help ensure the Alliance's continued military readiness. This decision was taken in response to Russia’s illegal annexation of Crimea, and amid broader instability in the Middle East. The 2014 Defence Investment Pledge built on an earlier commitment to meeting this 2% of GDP guideline, agreed in 2006 by NATO Defence Ministers. The 2% of GDP guideline is an important indicator of the political resolve of individual Allies to contribute to NATO’s common defence efforts.

As far as I see it, the status quo is being maintained until there are confirmed expenditures FY2023 and FY2024. Take the media propaganda of NATO allies meeting obligations with a grain of salt. If past trend is a predictor of future results, it is more likely that by the end of 2030, the graph will show real obligations met by NATO allies for 2023-2029 to be on average, no greater than 10 (optimistically 12) countries concurrent.

Also take note the average expenditure in billions from 2014 to 2018 (average $266.4 billion). Then at the 2018 annual NATO summit, Trump talks shit about the freeloaders of NATO and you get a slight boost in spending from 2019 to 2022 (average $317.5 billion) but despite the roughly 19% increase in expenditures, the amount of countries failing to reach the 2% GDP commitment is over 60%.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a video and an article that give insights into how Ukraine uses it's SU-27s. There's some discussion about how they underwent a lot of modernization so that Western weapons could be utilized. The video is in Ukrainian, but YouTube autotranslate isn't that bad in this case.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the Polish K2 tank order is back on the table, with Poland expanding on the original framework contract.

According to the Polish Ministry of National Defence, the deal with South Korean firms Hyundai Rotem and Hanwha Defense includes the delivery of 180 K2 Black Panther tanks and 212 K9A1 self-propelled howitzers, along with ammunition, training, and logistics support.
View Quote

It looks like the extra tanks will be manufactured domestically, but possible the K9s too, since Poland already has a production line for Krabs.

Kosiniak-Kamysz emphasised the strategic importance of cooperation with South Korea, citing existing deliveries of FA-50 aircraft, Chunmoo launchers, K9 howitzers, and K2 tanks. He underscored the significance of localising production within Poland, aligning with the government’s pledge that 50% of production and purchases for the Polish Armed Forces will occur domestically.
View Quote

Part of the resolution for financing issues appears to be offset agreements:

Deputy Minister Paweł Bejda noted that the discussions also focused on financing military equipment purchased from South Korea for the Polish Armed Forces and presenting the Polish armament industry’s offerings to the Korean side. This move reflects Poland’s broader strategy of integrating domestic production capabilities with international cooperation.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pentagon Press Secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder Holds a Press Briefing. Of particular note for this thread:

North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Pentagon Press Secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder Holds a Press Briefing. Of particular note for this thread:

View Quote

Spicy! (if true)
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Let's be realistic.

The biggest change in the graph was due to Ukraine and not Trump.  Going back even farther Robert Gates pointed out the Euro's deficiency in defense spending.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Demanding that NATO pay their contractual obligation.  

I know there have been a number of summits in which defense ministers/countries have "pledge" or "agreed" to meet the 2% spending goal, but every NATO publication I have seen refers to the 2% as a GUIDELINE.  So I am not sure that calling it a "contractual obligation" is correct.

That said, I totally agree with you that all NATO countries absolutely SHOULD be spending 2%.  I am just being pedantic about the language.

Let's be realistic.

The biggest change in the graph was due to Ukraine and not Trump.  Going back even farther Robert Gates pointed out the Euro's deficiency in defense spending.

Let's be realistic.  

Trump made it one of his biggest platform issues and he constantly harped on rest of NATO to meet their treaty obligations, not guidelines.  They literally laughed at him when he said that Putin and Russia were a danger to Europe.

So yes, UKR woke Europe up to what Trump had warning them about all along.

Over 40 years, trillions of our debt and trillions in growth in Europe is from getting a free ride from the US for defense.  Everyone here complaining about a few hundred billion to support an ally in a war against an enemy sworn to destroy us doesn't understand that Europe siphoned off trillions from the US in underspending for defense.

Trump's position on UKR is basically the same, funding the war is fine, as long as Europe shares the cost.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jwnc:

Let's be realistic.  

Trump made it one of his biggest platform issues and he constantly harped on rest of NATO to meet their treaty obligations, not guidelines.  They literally laughed at him when he said that Putin and Russia were a danger to Europe.

So yes, UKR woke Europe up to what Trump had warning them about all along.

Over 40 years, trillions of our debt and trillions in growth in Europe is from getting a free ride from the US for defense.  Everyone here complaining about a few hundred billion to support an ally in a war against an enemy sworn to destroy us doesn't understand that Europe siphoned off trillions from the US in underspending for defense.

Trump's position on UKR is basically the same, funding the war is fine, as long as Europe shares the cost.
View Quote

Germany Reacts to Trump's UNGA Speech

Smug cunts
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#9]
https://www.twz.com/24342/u-s-to-offer-surplus-oliver-hazard-perry-frigates-to-ukraine-reports

According to reports out of Ukraine, the U.S. is looking to offer the country an unknown number of currently mothballed Oliver Hazard Perry frigates in an attempt to help Kiev bolster its presence in the Black Sea and possibly around the entrance to the increasingly contested Sea of Azov. If Ukraine agrees to receive the ships, the transfer would occur through the Excess Defense Property program which commonly funnels surplus U.S. military gear to foreign allies.

Although the ships may come free of charge, there will be a cost to bring them up to whatever standard Ukraine and the U.S. have in mind. Before the U.S. Navy controversially passed over returning the retired Perry class frigates it still had to active service, it figured they could be brought back to an operational state to serve in rudimentary interdiction and basic sea control roles at a relatively low cost. Meanwhile, other navies around the globe have spent far more money successfully upgrading their second-hand Perry class frigates with enlarged hangar bays, updated sensors and combat systems, refreshed mechanics, and vertical launch missile systems. If Ukraine were to go this route, the revamped frigates would be the most advanced and capable assets in their fleet.    
View Quote

Of the ten available for export, seven are said to be in the best condition. So a number of these ships could end up in Ukrainian hands—an act that Russia wouldn’t be pleased with.  
View Quote

If I was a drone operator, the last thing I would do is pick an obvious large multi story building  that is in glide bomb range.  Even if it gives me better line of sight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]

T-72B3M, June 2024

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/DFErHPF.jpeg

T-72B3M, June 2024

View Quote

If an FPV can blow up engine bay, it can blow up track and wheels.  Let's see Private Konscriptovich come out to fix that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting Spicy elsewhere...

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#14]
With the increased troop movements in Israel headed to the northern border I expect the number of air strikes in Syria and Lebanon to start increasing in frequency and violence of secondary explosions.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#15]
Originally Posted By GBTX01:

View Quote

It might be a coup.  I can't find any live cams working in Bolivia, which isn't surprising, coup or not.

This is a Chilean channel that is showing news from Bolivia live--might be useful.  Spanish only, sorry.

ETA--there now saying other troops have come out and denounced the "coup" and those officers who "rebelled" earlier.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
With the increased troop movements in Israel headed to the northern border I expect the number of air strikes in Syria and Lebanon to start increasing in frequency and violence of secondary explosions.

View All Quotes

Apparently it is known for warehouses/weapons stores for Hezbollah and other Shia militias.

From the Alma Center,   link. an attack two years ago:
In the early morning of July 22, 2022, an airstrike was carried out against a weapons warehouse in the Hudzajra area of ​​Sayyid Zaynab in southern Damascus.

The attack took place near the community center named after the martyr “Haytham Suleiman” (also called the Shuhada al-Muqawamah sports center), which was established with Iranian funding in the year 2021 by the Iranian “Jihad al-Bana” organization.” In our estimation, the attack was carried out against a shipment of electronic weapon components intended for Hezbollah’s precision missile project and its self-production of UAVs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By michigan66:

It might be a coup.  I can't find any live cams working in Bolivia, which isn't surprising, coup or not.

This is a Chilean channel that is showing news from Bolivia live--might be useful.  Spanish only, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0pjzuGCio

ETA--there now saying other troops have come out and denounced the "coup" and those officers who "rebelled" earlier.
View Quote

I believe this is known as Miercoles in Bolivia.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

Called it.

Chinese/DPRK troops are already there. Maybe not on the front lines but they are there.

There are a ton of areas/minorities that look similar to Chinese/Korean.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I wonder if killing 200 is really plausible?
View Quote

You must think in Russian…..probably killed 20 Ukrainians and 180 Russians running from the front
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By absael:
China has stated that they will nuke any country that attacks the dam.

I'm not sure how that might change if that country were the one they're trying to take over.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By absael:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

ChinaIsAsshoe has a window of opportunity between now and when western war material production finishes ramping up a couple of years from now.

My serious question is this. I don't recall the actual number, but IIRC it was around 80% of China's manufacturing is down stream of the 3 Gorges damn. When the invasion starts, how many hits is it gonna take for Taiwan to collapse that thing?

Millions dead, 80-ish % of China's manufacturing capabilities wiped out, a huge percentage of power generation gone, it would be biblical in scope.

Probably 1 billion dead, and most likely would be deemed a war crime. Not that it ain't a good idea.
China has stated that they will nuke any country that attacks the dam.

I'm not sure how that might change if that country were the one they're trying to take over.

Yeah, if China hits, hard enough and fast enough, before US forces can react, and Taiwan is losing, being pounded to within an inch of its life, the PM's last act could be Fuck it, if I'm going down... Send it.

What's China going to do, bomb them harder.

That being said, I really hope an invasion doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
https://www.twz.com/24342/u-s-to-offer-surplus-oliver-hazard-perry-frigates-to-ukraine-reports
 According to reports out of Ukraine, the U.S. is looking to offer the country an unknown number of currently mothballed Oliver Hazard Perry frigates in an attempt to help Kiev bolster its presence in the Black Sea and possibly around the entrance to the increasingly contested Sea of Azov. If Ukraine agrees to receive the ships, the transfer would occur through the Excess Defense Property program which commonly funnels surplus U.S. military gear to foreign allies.

Although the ships may come free of charge, there will be a cost to bring them up to whatever standard Ukraine and the U.S. have in mind. Before the U.S. Navy controversially passed over returning the retired Perry class frigates it still had to active service, it figured they could be brought back to an operational state to serve in rudimentary interdiction and basic sea control roles at a relatively low cost. Meanwhile, other navies around the globe have spent far more money successfully upgrading their second-hand Perry class frigates with enlarged hangar bays, updated sensors and combat systems, refreshed mechanics, and vertical launch missile systems. If Ukraine were to go this route, the revamped frigates would be the most advanced and capable assets in their fleet.    

Of the ten available for export, seven are said to be in the best condition. So a number of these ships could end up in Ukrainian hands—an act that Russia wouldn’t be pleased with.  

Way back in spring 2022 I suggested transferring Ticos that are getting retired from the US fleet. Wouldn't even have to take them out of mothball condition, just normal service refit. I was mostly serious. Somebody thought that wasn't a completely bad idea, apparently.

But they don't belong in the Black Sea. They should be attacking Russian shipping & naval targets in the Med, East Asia (those boats running between Russia & NK), and beyond. Russia will 100% make them a high-priority target anywhere, so the cost is far higher than just a refit & supply plus crew training.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

@Tads
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

So does that mean it’s an “unfriendly” coup to Russia and their buddies or just 3rd world being 3rd world?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#24]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#25]
On Hungarian national news today they quoted the Russians who claimed to have hit/destroyed 3 HIMARS and crews. I have no locations or details. Any news about this? I trust very little of what Russia says especially to Hungary...
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]
On Hungarian national news today they quoted the Russians who claimed to have hit/destroyed 3 HIMARS and crews. I have no locations or details. Any news about this? I trust very little of what Russia says especially to Hungary...
View Quote

Just wait for the videos of destroyed farming equipment.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Building looks abandoned. Cool footage though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#28]
Israel might have killed a few more Farsi speakers.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Capta:

I call BS on that one.
They’d have to lighten it a lot to get it airborne on Mars.
View Quote

The Martian atmosphere was a lot thicker by 2243.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

1) they could just be repeating the previous number of three total HIMARS destroyed
2)it could be the usual pathetic Russian propaganda where any time something new gets sent in, in this case the three replacement HIMARS, immediately the Russians report “AND WE DESTROYED ALL OF IT.”
3)and a very distant third, the Russians actually got three with SRBMs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#31]

1) they could just be repeating the previous number of three total HIMARS destroyed
2)it could be the usual pathetic Russian propaganda where any time something new gets sent in, in this case the three replacement HIMARS, immediately the Russians report “AND WE DESTROYED ALL OF IT.”
3)and a very distant third, the Russians actually got three with SRBMs.
View Quote

I thought one was damaged and returned to the US for repair. Have 3 been destroyed now?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Way back in spring 2022 I suggested transferring Ticos that are getting retired from the US fleet. Wouldn't even have to take them out of mothball condition, just normal service refit. I was mostly serious. Somebody thought that wasn't a completely bad idea, apparently.

But they don't belong in the Black Sea. They should be attacking Russian shipping & naval targets in the Med, East Asia (those boats running between Russia & NK), and beyond. Russia will 100% make them a high-priority target anywhere, so the cost is far higher than just a refit & supply plus crew training.
View All Quotes

It’s interesting but can’t say I agree.  I think Ukraine should focus on army and airpower with cruise missiles.  A navy for them is an expensive luxury.  Now, if we wanted to get really nasty, we’d give Ukraine an OHP or two and sell them an atoll somewhere in the Pacific and let them raid Russian trade like a mofo.
Even if the BSF completely ceased to exist tomorrow, Russia could still swamp a limited number of frigates with cruise/SRBMs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]

I posted an article about that a couple of days ago.  Apparently they’re still regenerating tanks, so probably they’ve moved everything elsewhere or dispersed them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigGrumpyBear] [#34]
I read the article about UA maybe getting Perry class frigates. I know it will be years before they're retrofitted, but this war has several more years to go before it's run its course.

So, how many of their ghost fleet would the UA navy have to seize before other ships said fuck it, ain't worth it, and stop carrying RU cargo?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Tits are temporary, war is forever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:

Really, nothing?

I mean, there’s a lot to talk about there  

Tits are temporary, war is forever.

Life is short and uncertain, enjoy BOOBA while you can.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By michigan66:
Israel might have killed a few more Farsi speakers.  

View Quote

Garbage truck seems appropriate.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]

It’s interesting but can’t say I agree.  I think Ukraine should focus on army and airpower with cruise missiles.  A navy for them is an expensive luxury.  Now, if we wanted to get really nasty, we’d give Ukraine an OHP or two and sell them an atoll somewhere in the Pacific and let them raid Russian trade like a mofo.
Even if the BSF completely ceased to exist tomorrow, Russia could still swamp a limited number of frigates with cruise/SRBMs.
View Quote

Letters of Marque
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Isn't Turkey prohibiting any transiting of warships through the Bosporus?

Ukraine won't be able to get them there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

View Quote

They are. Ukraine has two (IIRC) minesweepers that were recently built by another European nation that they cannot take delivery of because Turkey has closed the Strait to military vessels. That's why the notion of Ukraine getting military ships into the Black Sea is absurd, even if the idea had any military value, which it does not.

What does have value is having a Ukrainian flag vessel able to sink or seize Russia's weapons cargo vessels going between Syria & Novorossiyisk, and also seizing or sinking Russia's 'ghost fleet' tankers carrying contraband oil. That would have huge value, depriving Russia of critical income (and transferring it to Ukraine).
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

I believe this is known as Miercoles in Bolivia.
View Quote

Possible Coup Attempt in Bolivia - LIVE Breaking News Coverage
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#41]
Kinzhals and Shaheds tonight.
And Kalibr.

Starokostyantyniv seems to be a focus.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#42]
What does have value is having a Ukrainian flag vessel able to sink or seize Russia's weapons cargo vessels going between Syria & Novorossiyisk, and also seizing or sinking Russia's 'ghost fleet' tankers carrying contraband oil. That would have huge value, depriving Russia of critical income (and transferring it to Ukraine).
View Quote

Nah, get the GUR to take out the Houties, then have them impersonate the late Houties and shoot Russian vessels. Remember that most Ukrainian sailors ran away with the Ukrainian portion of the Black Sea fleet to Russia in 2014, so they have to start from scratch.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:12:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#43]

They are. Ukraine has two (IIRC) minesweepers that were recently built by another European nation that they cannot take delivery of because Turkey has closed the Strait to military vessels. That's why the notion of Ukraine getting military ships into the Black Sea is absurd, even if the idea had any military value, which it does not.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

The FFGs give Ukraine a “blue water Navy” outside of the Black Sea.

Wonder what will keep Russian attack subs off them?

They could start raping Russian ghost shipping and surface ships….but got to be just as susceptible.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#45]

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Full article  and additional info.
https://www.twz.com/news-features/peoples-satellite-helped-ukraine-hit-over-1000-targets-spy-agency-says

You can see the electromagnetic emissions.

The following image shows an advanced Russian Nebo-M radar system as well as electronic and signals intelligence and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance equipment in Russia’s Belgorod Oblast.  
View Quote

The satellite also took images over Russia’s Rostov Oblast. You can see camouflaged Russian vehicles there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#50]
Well that didn't last long!

Page / 472
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top