BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 471
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:39:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

No they don't.  The old days when the coup plotters could take over the government radio/tv station and shut down a few key newspapers to control information are long past in most of the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Originally Posted By GBTX01:
Well that didn't last long!

Most coups don't last ... you have to be so dang well organized to pull it off ...

No they don't.  The old days when the coup plotters could take over the government radio/tv station and shut down a few key newspapers to control information are long past in most of the world.

The Bolivian press is reporting Zúñiga is blaming "logistical" problems for the failure, as troops he was counting weren't in place.  He also said the Air Force and Navy couldn't get forces in place prior to the 11:00 AM start time.  

President Arce's opponents in his own party are saying the whole thing was set up to improve his public image.  Link to a Spanish language article from a Bolivian newspaper.. I don't know what the paper's political bias is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
http://eng.chinamil.com.cn/OPINIONS_209196/Opinions_209197/16319106.html

China military website bitching at G-7
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
http://eng.chinamil.com.cn/OPINIONS_209196/Opinions_209197/16319106.html

China military website bitching at G-7

The G7 does not represent the whole world because it represents only 10 percent of the world's population. Its total share in the global economy has been in constant decline and its combined contribution to global economic growth is less than that of China. Interestingly, BRICS has already surpassed the G7 in terms of GDP, industrial growth, supply chain system, economic sustainability and innovations.
It seems that the G7's DNA has been abruptly decomposed. At past summits, the West's biggest economies talked often about teaming with Beijing to fight climate change, terrorism and nuclear proliferation, but this time all blamed China for international problems, which is surprising. This shows the real color of global politics shifting from international cooperation toward bloc formation, from economic globalization toward economic protectionism, from global green efforts to tariff increase on EVs and solar panels, qualitative industrialization to wrong notions of overcapacity, rule of international law to military misadventures, and from multiculturalism to so-called white supremacy.

It sounds like maybe some of that diplomacy to consolidate against global authoritarianism is happening. I read China's reaction here and I think, 'good.'
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I like where your head is at, though I'd also be in favor of going for the head of the snake (Iran). Iran finances, arms, trains, and provides intelligence and political backing to various terrorist militias in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine. Admittedly, I don't know nearly as much about the Middle East as I do Eastern Europe, but it would appear to me that Iran is the common denominator here. And, unlike forces like the Houthis and Hezbollah, Iran is an actual state with assets that can't be hidden or moved around to remote areas, and that they can't easily afford to replace. No, I don't want an invasion of Iran, regime change, and nation building. That would make Iraq look like a walk in the park. But I think Iran can 100% be hit where it counts, whether it's via sanctions, cyber attacks, air strikes against big ticket items, etc.
View Quote

You saved me a lot of typing.  Yemen is under a UN arms embargo--use that to slam Iran diplomatically and economically.  Make China and Russia vote against punitive measures in the Security Council.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

Once again you defend my original post which you said was wrong. What happens when it’s all cut off immediately?  You keep saying these things will be moved or the “slack” will be picked up else where.  My original reply to the other poster was to his comment on it only being a mild recession if we went to war now.  It would not be mild it would be catastrophic. Cause all your hypotheticals are not in place right this insistent.  For some reason you keep arguing about shit that would take months if not years to change. Which I agree we need to decouple asap from China. Once again re read the original post.  

Lastly no the world doesn’t produce everything China makes especially in mass to meet demands for some products.  China alone produces HALF of the world’s steel. You simply don’t make that production up over night else where. Especially not in this country with the current government.
View Quote

No, you're quite wrong still. If it all gets cut off immediately, there will be an instantaneous money grab from those companies that can take advantage of the vacuum (and a bunch of new businesses springing up to do so). Also, ChinaIsAsshoe doesn't produce half the world's steel. They produce the least expensive steel because their industry is state subsidized. Production elsewhere can (and would) make up that shortfall. The reason it doesn't already is because it's not profitable to do so given their insistence on trying to drive competitors out of business by selling products below cost. There is precisely *nothing* that ChinaIsAsshoe produces that cannot and does not get manufactured elsewhere.

But, yes, you're quite right about the current government being an impediment to self-sufficiency both at a national and personal level. I'm not overly optimistic that will change any time soon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I guess that folks that make toilet paper are "essential" after all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

During Kung Flu there was a shortage of toilet paper briefly, too. If China's plants are shut down or unavailable, the remainder would pick up the slack just like they have with their Russian plant (that I assume is no longer functional). There are US or global replacements for *everything* that ChinaIsAsshoe produces (albeit likely at a higher cost). And, in some industries, they are no longer the low cost producer. These are the facts. My contention is that we need to divorce ourselves from ChinaIsAsshoe and get into a position to once again be self-sufficient and a major exporter as a nation.

I guess that folks that make toilet paper are "essential" after all.

And, the stupid thing is, there was no reason for it. We make the vast majority of paper products here in the US. The only reason there was a "shortage" is because people went out and bought two years worth of toilet paper all at once. A self-generated shortage.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Seems like they're still clobbering logistics pretty well. One has to wonder how the destruction set has changed in terms of what logistics vehicles are getting dumped on now vs a year ago. It would appear as though they're using more small commercial vehicles to transport things so the "target value" has gone down quite a bit. Thing is, they can't distribute the movement of food and ammo enough to keep a large part of it from being destroyed. It's a tail chase.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

We should be playing an old military game called "punitive expedition".  I believe we did something similar with the barbary pirates the last time some muslims fucked with our boats.

View Quote

One of my favorite definitions:

"When the territorial sovereign is too weak or is unwilling to enforce respect for international law, a state which is wronged may find it necessary to invade the territory and to chastise the individuals who violate its rights and threaten its security."
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Per the links I posted earlier: North America & Europe are about 25% each of China's exports. So 'the West' only comprises half of China's export market. If you think they dominate the market for finished goods here, it's MUCH worse in the rest of Asia (maybe excepting Japan & SK). Most of the other half of China's exports go to Asia - SE Asia, South Central Asia primarily.

There was a time, probably more than a decade gone, when North America (US) accounted for almost half of China's export market. No more. The idea that a sudden, unanticipated US embargo would hurt them worse than it would us is really wrong. In the short term, it would hurt us WAY more than it would hurt them. In the long term, I think we'd come out on the winning end, but it would hurt a lot to get there.
View All Quotes
No, actually, he's quite correct. ChinaIsAsshoe has been attempting to bankrupt competitors via state subsidies for decades. They can only "compete" due to cheap (forced) labor and zero environmental controls. I own a farm as well. I don't need parts from ChinaIsAsshoe. They may be cheaper but farms will still run with US made parts. The US economy would jump because manufacturers would be able to sell their products instead of being forced out of business. As he mentioned, many companies have moved their cheap labor production to other countries. A great example of that is the clothing industry. ChinaIsAsshoe undercut US clothing manufacturers until they went out of business. But, now, it's their turn to be priced out of business by cheaper labor countries. Also, India has roughly the same export of pharmaceuticals as ChinaIsAsshoe. That was one of India's (few) strategic investment areas. (Note that I'm not sure that getting them from India is much better than ChinaIsAsshoe but still.)

Also keep in mind that much of ChinaIsAsshoe's "exports" are actually US products manufactured there and exported to other countries besides the US. Cut off the licensed production and get the other western nations to do the same and their economy collapses entirely. Their economy exists to supply the West. Without western money, they have a billion mouths to feed and no way to get money to do so.

Per the links I posted earlier: North America & Europe are about 25% each of China's exports. So 'the West' only comprises half of China's export market. If you think they dominate the market for finished goods here, it's MUCH worse in the rest of Asia (maybe excepting Japan & SK). Most of the other half of China's exports go to Asia - SE Asia, South Central Asia primarily.

There was a time, probably more than a decade gone, when North America (US) accounted for almost half of China's export market. No more. The idea that a sudden, unanticipated US embargo would hurt them worse than it would us is really wrong. In the short term, it would hurt us WAY more than it would hurt them. In the long term, I think we'd come out on the winning end, but it would hurt a lot to get there.

Don't forget that "the West" also has in it Australia, NZ, and other western friendly countries. By that measure, using the data in the links, fully 75% of ChinaIsAsshoe's exports go to western or western-aligned countries. If the west as a whole embargoed Chinese goods, places like India, Vietnam, Malaysia, Mexico, and other low-cost producers would step up to cover that portion of the export market. In the case of India, they'd do it just as a big FU to their troublesome neighbor. The only question is how quickly they, and the western/western-aligned nations would step up to make their own stuff (or replace the Chinese low-cost/quality stuff from other low-cost producers). My contention is that it would hurt them far more than the West simply because their economy is built on exports and they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Being an optimist by nature, my thinking is if there is money to be made, there would be a huge scramble to take advantage of the opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
The glide bombs are nasty; 1500kg (~3,900lb) thermobaric bomb bullseye's a large building.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By michigan66:

Point taken.  Although I would think a country that spends more than a trillion dollars a year on defense and intelligence gathering should be able to find radar sites and helicopters in Yemen; I'm confident that the warfighters know about Houthi assets and would gladly take them out.  If that doesn't work, time to deal with the suppliers.

The real reason is the Biden team still holds to the philosophy they outlined in January: they don't want to kill many Houthis troops or officers because "it would cause more mayhem" in the region.  Wait until Egypt's economy collapses and they become an honest to God failed state, then you will see unprecedented mayhem in the Middle East and Europe.  Or the Houthis get lucky and hit one of our warships.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:I don't know, but if they kept it off and in reserve and hidden, we might not spot it.  The moment anything starts emitting, we usually know within minutes the location, regardless where it is in the world.

But if it was in the open, I don't know why we would not hit it the first night.

Point taken.  Although I would think a country that spends more than a trillion dollars a year on defense and intelligence gathering should be able to find radar sites and helicopters in Yemen; I'm confident that the warfighters know about Houthi assets and would gladly take them out.  If that doesn't work, time to deal with the suppliers.

The real reason is the Biden team still holds to the philosophy they outlined in January: they don't want to kill many Houthis troops or officers because "it would cause more mayhem" in the region.  Wait until Egypt's economy collapses and they become an honest to God failed state, then you will see unprecedented mayhem in the Middle East and Europe.  Or the Houthis get lucky and hit one of our warships.

I tend to agree, I think the problem is the artificial rules of engagement that is imposed on our military forces over there, which actually causes the solution to be more expensive for us down the road instead of solving the problem quickly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

We would have tough times, but China would be far worse.
View Quote

Maybe so, but the Chinese people, whether they like it or not, would be far more likely to absorb that damage and carry on than the average soft American.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
View Quote

We all know this is going to happen but if those guys think they are invulnerable to our cyber attacks they are going to be in for rude awakening.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]

We should be playing an old military game called "punitive expedition".  I believe we did something similar with the barbary pirates the last time some muslims fucked with our boats.

Send in the Marines, let them break a bunch of stuff, let them steal even more.  Live broadcast the Marines dumping everything they stole into the ocean.  Then tell the houthis knock it off or we will come back.  

Rinse and repeat as many times as is needed for the lesson to sink in.  Fuck nation building, fuck spreading democracy, fuck regime change.  Just fuck them up until the behavior changes.  They can live however they want, under whomever they want, with whatever system of government makes them feel warm and fuzzy.  As long as they don't fuck with the boats.

View Quote

Sometimes you have to step on a guys throat for him to truly get the message.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By NuclearWinter04:

Maybe so, but the Chinese people, whether they like it or not, would be far more likely to absorb that damage and carry on than the average soft American.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NuclearWinter04:

We would have tough times, but China would be far worse.

Not sure about that; there is already widespread unrest in China due to their economic issues.  The relative collapse in manufacturing has hit rural populations hard since they have become reliant on remittances from the cities and the real estate crash has demolished a lot of wealth across the economic spectrum.  This is not even getting into "local government debt", which when adjusted for GDP exceeds our Federal budget deficit, or that China imports 20% or more of it's food.  Ironically, a Chinese invasion of Taiwan may mean the end of Russia, the US, AND China as superpowers, since all of them are in really deep financial and demographic holes from which there is no quick recovery.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#17]
This is the third motorcycle droned in the last few weeks.  Maybe Hezbollah thinks they're safer than cars.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The IDF confirms carrying out a drone strike earlier today in southern Lebanon's Sohmor, killing a member of Hezbollah's aerial forces.

According to the military, the Hezbollah operative, identified by the terror group as Ali al-Din, was behind drone attacks on northern Israel.

Separately, the IDF says fighter jets struck buildings used by the terror group in Houla and Aitaroun. It adds that troops also shelled areas in southern Lebanon with artillery.

Meanwhile, two explosive-laden drones launched by Hezbollah at the Western Galilee struck areas near Rosh Hanikra earlier, the military confirms.

The IDF says there are no injuries in the attack. Hezbollah took responsibility, claiming to have targeted a Navy base.
View Quote

Israeli troops carried out exercises this past week simulating fighting in Lebanon, which the military says is part of the Northern Command's efforts to increase readiness amid heightened tensions on the northern border.

The Golani Brigade's 12th Brigade, which has been operating in the Mount Dov and Mount Hermon areas on the northern border, carried out a drill simulating fighting in complex terrain, the military says.

Another drill, carried out by the 55th Reserve Paratroopers Brigade, practiced various combat scenarios, including movement in complex terrain and advancing along a "mountainous route," the IDF says.

The exercises come amid daily attacks by the Hezbollah terror group on northern Israel amid the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip.

Israel has warned it can no longer tolerate Hezbollah's presence along its border following the October 7 atrocities, and has warned that should a diplomatic solution not be reached, it will turn to military action to push Hezbollah northward.
View Quote

Daily update June 27, 2024, 02:30 pm Israel time - Northern arena
1.In the past 24 hours, #Hezbollah claimed responsibility for six attacks against #Israel using high-trajectory fire, and anti-tank missiles.
2.Yesterday (June 26), Hezbollah attacked the communities of Metula, Avivim and Even Menachem using anti-tank missiles. Attached are photos of the damage from the communities of Metula and Avivim, Taken from social media (Credit: unknown).
3. According to local reports, yesterday a building belonging to the Doughman family in the city of Nabatieh. This is a large family from Nabatieh known for its connections to Hezbollah. Last April it was announced that one of the family members, Ali Hossein Da'man, was killed as part of his activities in Hezbollah. Attached is a photo from the location of the attack.
4. In addition, according to local reports, another attack was carried out today in Kfar Aitaroun.
View Quote

According to local reports, on June 26, during the night, an air attack was carried out on a target in the Sayda Zaynab area, south of Damascus.  To our understanding, a compound located about 800 meters northwest of the Sayda Zaynab Mosque site was attacked.

It seems that this is a closed compound with buildings, containers, and sheds.  Various types of vehicles and tractors are parked on the site. The Sayda Zaynab region is a very important geographical anchor within the framework of the establishment of the Shiite axis in Syria. In fact, it is a Syrian territory controlled by elements of the radical Shiite axis led by Iran.

The establishment of the axis in the area of ​​Sayda Zaynab is reflected in immigration and demography, taking over territories and real estate for military purposes, establishing religious centers, social associations, and religious tourism.

The establishment is a logistical anchor and a transit station for the transfer of weapons to Hezbollah in Lebanon. The construction and maintenance of the infrastructure is carried out by the Iranian "Jihad al-Bana" organization, which is directly associated with the Revolutionary Guards. It is possible that the complex that was attacked belongs to it and is used as a cover for weapons transfer activities.

According to the reports, there are several casualties. Their identities are not clear at this time.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

And today's Thursday.  What else is new?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwnc] [#19]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRYkpUQx9Q

View Quote

And one $200 FPV to the driver side windshield and?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

War with China also means no semiconductors from Taiwan. We are screwed with out them.
View Quote

Nope.  We have more than enough telecom equipment, servers, PC's and phones to last for years.  Of course, they may need to be retasked from tracking every breath you take or following the Kardashians 24/7, but life will go on until we can source them domestically (at a higher cost).

China will be well and truly fucked.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#22]

The Bolivian press is reporting Zúñiga is blaming "logistical" problems for the failure, as troops he was counting weren't in place.  He also said the Air Force and Navy couldn't get forces in place prior to the 11:00 AM start time.  

President Arce's opponents in his own party are saying the whole thing was set up to improve his public image.  Link to a Spanish language article from a Bolivian newspaper.. I don't know what the paper's political bias is.
View Quote

Laughing out fucking loud! I do lot of .mil work in South America; just got back from 3 weeks in Chile and Peru. They can't seem to schedule or execute shit on time.
Had generalisimo Dumbass had his shit all in one sock he might be running the show right now.
Clown show coup.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]

China would collapse harder than us. Get off sucking China's dick. lol

We could just sabotage the Straight of Malacca and their finished for the next 200 years.
View Quote

You think he's sucking China's dick?  

More fantasy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Send in the Marines, let them break a bunch of stuff, let them steal even more.  Live broadcast the Marines dumping everything they stole into the ocean.  Then tell the houthis knock it off or we will come back.  

Rinse and repeat as many times as is needed for the lesson to sink in.  Fuck nation building, fuck spreading democracy, fuck regime change.  Just fuck them up until the behavior changes.  They can live however they want, under whomever they want, with whatever system of government makes them feel warm and fuzzy.  As long as they don't fuck with the boats.

View Quote

You got my vote
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#25]

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#26]

At the end of the day, most of the educational outcomes boil down to this:

https://i.ibb.co/7VQT1bY/Sketch-4race-transparent.webp
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:

If you want to tell them to kiss off, we need high schoolers that can do basic math and are able to read. Add in some work ethic as well. We have no workers for an industrial base, and the flood of illegals with an IQ of 80 aren't the answer.

And as I understand it China turns off social media at like 5pm for their children and only airs educational programs for kids after that. It seems like that would cause a different education outcome from ours.

At the end of the day, most of the educational outcomes boil down to this:

https://i.ibb.co/7VQT1bY/Sketch-4race-transparent.webp

Well at least there is enough room on the bell curve for us to have ONE Thomas Sowell and Ben Carson.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Accomplished years ago
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#28]
This morning.
Vehicle traffic on the Crimean Bridge is temporarily blocked.
Those on the bridge and in the inspection area are asked to remain calm and follow the instructions of transport security officers.

https://t.me/most_official/6991

Traffic on the Crimean Bridge has been restored.
https://t.me/most_official/6992

17:00

There are 40 vehicles in the queue from Taman.

There are 400 vehicles in the queue from Kerch. Waiting time is about two hours.

https://t.me/most_official/6993

*Was
Cyber ​​attack in Crimea: traffic on the Kerch bridge is* stopped, - source

Vitaly Sayenko
17:53, 06/27/24

Cyber ​​specialists of the State Administration of Ukraine "turned off" cash registers and traffic on the Kerch bridge in Crimea.

As a result of massive cyberattacks on the communication infrastructure in occupied Crimea, cash registers are not working and traffic on the Kerch bridge has been stopped . This was reported to UNIAN by a source in the special service.

In particular, massive cyber attacks on the communication infrastructure of the occupiers continue for the second day in the occupied Crimea.

According to a source in the GUR, "after yesterday's damage to the infrastructure of the Crimean Internet providers, today the cyber specialists of the military intelligence attack the servers of propaganda media, communication operators, the system of registration and control of traffic on the Kerch Bridge."

In addition, massive phishing attacks on local Internet users continue, accounting services are disrupted, cash registers do not work at retail outlets in Kerch and Sevastopol.
According to the source, a massive DDos attack is being carried out on the website of the propaganda "Kerch FM" and the servers of the mobile communications operator "Miranda-media".

"It is this operator that provides trunk communication channels for the call center of the occupation administration of Sevastopol, as a result of which the number of the single contact center stopped working," the source adds.

At the same time, as a result of the damage to the traffic registration and control system, a long line of cars appeared that wanted to drive over the Kerch Bridge. Within an hour, the traffic jam increased sixfold, and already in the morning there were about three hundred cars in the queue.

Hacker attacks on the Russian Federation

As UNIAN reported, yesterday it became known that in the temporarily occupied Crimea, a number of the largest Internet providers were subjected to a massive cyber attack . The occupying authorities have warned the inhabitants of the peninsula that in the near future there may be interruptions with access to the Internet.

Attacks on Russian servers, online services and network infrastructure have recently been occurring systematically. For example, at the beginning of June, cyber specialists of the State Security Service carried out a massive attack on the websites of the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Information Technologies and Communications, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Emergency Situations, the Ministry of Industry and Energy of the Russian Federation and other objects. And on June 12, on the so-called "day of Russia", the online platforms of Russian airports were attacked, which led to the delay of flights.

https://www.unian.ua/war/masovi-kiberataki-v-krimu-ne-pracyuyut-kasovi-aparati-ta-zupineno-ruh-po-kerchenskomu-mostu-dzherelo-12679698.html

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Capta:

It's interesting but can't say I agree.  I think Ukraine should focus on army and airpower with cruise missiles.  A navy for them is an expensive luxury.  Now, if we wanted to get really nasty, we'd give Ukraine an OHP or two and sell them an atoll somewhere in the Pacific and let them raid Russian trade like a mofo.
Even if the BSF completely ceased to exist tomorrow, Russia could still swamp a limited number of frigates with cruise/SRBMs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
https://www.twz.com/24342/u-s-to-offer-surplus-oliver-hazard-perry-frigates-to-ukraine-reports
 According to reports out of Ukraine, the U.S. is looking to offer the country an unknown number of currently mothballed Oliver Hazard Perry frigates in an attempt to help Kiev bolster its presence in the Black Sea and possibly around the entrance to the increasingly contested Sea of Azov. If Ukraine agrees to receive the ships, the transfer would occur through the Excess Defense Property program which commonly funnels surplus U.S. military gear to foreign allies.

Although the ships may come free of charge, there will be a cost to bring them up to whatever standard Ukraine and the U.S. have in mind. Before the U.S. Navy controversially passed over returning the retired Perry class frigates it still had to active service, it figured they could be brought back to an operational state to serve in rudimentary interdiction and basic sea control roles at a relatively low cost. Meanwhile, other navies around the globe have spent far more money successfully upgrading their second-hand Perry class frigates with enlarged hangar bays, updated sensors and combat systems, refreshed mechanics, and vertical launch missile systems. If Ukraine were to go this route, the revamped frigates would be the most advanced and capable assets in their fleet.    

Of the ten available for export, seven are said to be in the best condition. So a number of these ships could end up in Ukrainian hands an act that Russia wouldn't be pleased with.  

Way back in spring 2022 I suggested transferring Ticos that are getting retired from the US fleet. Wouldn't even have to take them out of mothball condition, just normal service refit. I was mostly serious. Somebody thought that wasn't a completely bad idea, apparently.

But they don't belong in the Black Sea. They should be attacking Russian shipping & naval targets in the Med, East Asia (those boats running between Russia & NK), and beyond. Russia will 100% make them a high-priority target anywhere, so the cost is far higher than just a refit & supply plus crew training.

It's interesting but can't say I agree.  I think Ukraine should focus on army and airpower with cruise missiles.  A navy for them is an expensive luxury.  Now, if we wanted to get really nasty, we'd give Ukraine an OHP or two and sell them an atoll somewhere in the Pacific and let them raid Russian trade like a mofo.
Even if the BSF completely ceased to exist tomorrow, Russia could still swamp a limited number of frigates with cruise/SRBMs.

Article is from 2018. They went with new-built corvettes from Turkey and tried to keep their domestic frigate program alive. Of the latter, the lead ship is only about 50% complete after 15 years.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
This is extra special what-the-fuck

The prosecutor's office decided to accuse the Finns of genocide of USSR citizens during the war.

The General Prosecutor's Office of the Russian Federation asks the court to recognize the actions of the Finnish army on the territory of the Karelo-Finnish SSR during the Great Patriotic War as “war crimes” and “genocide of the Soviet people,” follows from a message posted on the website of the supervisory agency. 

“On the instructions of the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation Igor Krasnov, today, on the eve of the 80th anniversary of the liberation of the city of Petrozavodsk on June 28, 1944 from the fascist occupiers, the prosecutor of the Republic of Karelia sent to the court an application to recognize the established and newly identified crimes committed by the Nazi invaders, occupation authorities and Finnish troops on the territory of the Karelo-Finnish SSR (currently the Republic of Karelia) during the Great Patriotic War of 1941–1945,” informs the State Prosecutor’s Office.

The State Prosecutor accuses the Finns of creating more than 100 concentration and labor camps on the territory of the republic for civilians and Soviet prisoners of war, as well as using the labor of the local population, including children, in hard work. During the “Finnish occupation”, more than 7 thousand prisoners died in the “Petrozavodsk concentration camps,” the department writes: “In total, 8,028 civilians were killed and tortured; more than 18 thousand Soviet prisoners of war died in Finnish and German camps.”

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/23435

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Trump doesn’t know a damn thing about foreign policy personally.  He operates in that like he does in everything, what’s in it for me?  What makes me look good to my base?  How can I parlay my position into money for the family?  Who strokes my ego the hardest?
He’ll walk right into Putin’s arms because no one with any chops will serve in his (hypothetical) admin this time around to keep him on the rails.  Mark my words.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

I credit all of his accomplishments to the team he assembled. On his own, he a walking contradiction. He was smart enough to listen to career experts, military leaders and agency heads when making policy, which actually surprised me. His abrasive statements made in public would have been better served in private. I will plug my nose and vote for him, what other option do I have?

The USA Communist Party fully supports the Democrats, they say so in their publications and interviews. I'm not voting for that. Trump needs to have a come to Jesus moment regarding the defense of Ukraine IMO. When has any Republican candidate been lukewarm regarding Russian aggression?

Trump has been saying all of the above for years before running. In some cases (NAFTA, China etc) for DECADES!
You can condemn him for his foul mouth, gigantic ego, narcissism, infidelity and sexism but trying to steal his foreign policy is shameless.

Trump doesn’t know a damn thing about foreign policy personally.  He operates in that like he does in everything, what’s in it for me?  What makes me look good to my base?  How can I parlay my position into money for the family?  Who strokes my ego the hardest?
He’ll walk right into Putin’s arms because no one with any chops will serve in his (hypothetical) admin this time around to keep him on the rails.  Mark my words.

I love when types like you say "this will happen" and "that will happen," because it's pretty amusing when you're wrong.  

Just curious- do you have a copy of the Madame President article by TIME magazine?  

Anyway, quoted for future reference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna159203

Taiwan government warning against travel to China after  Beijing recently announced death penalty for any Taiwanese not supporting reunification and China’s Taiwan talking points such as no contact with USA, no AR15s from USA for civilians not accepting Taiwan’s President as legitimate etc
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Russia began to create a shadow fleet for transporting LNG after the oil one

Between two-thirds and three-quarters of Russia's oil is now transported by shady fleets - mostly old tankers with opaque registrations and often unclear insurers. Now Western countries have begun to impose sanctions against LNG exported by Russia - in response, it seems to have begun to use already proven methods and form a shadow fleet to transport it. Over the past three months, at least eight LNG tankers have become the property of little-known companies registered in Dubai, Bloomberg reports, citing global shipping database Equasis. At least three of them have “unknown” listed as “insurer” in the International Maritime Organization database.

Four of the eight vessels - North Air, North Mountain, North Sky and North Way - are ice-class tankers that received permission to sail in the waters of the Northern Sea Route (NSR) this summer. The NSR transports gas from Novatek's Yamal LNG project. These tankers are now owned by Dubai-based White Fox Ship Management, which does not have its own office; the address at which it is registered is used by many companies, an employee of the building told Bloomberg. Other vessels turned out to be old tankers, such as the 22-year-old Asya Energy. It received a new name in May when it was taken over by Dubai-based Nur Global Shipping, a company unknown to industry participants that operates from the Meydan Hotel in the UAE free trade zone.

There are several factors that indicate Russia is trying to create a shadow fleet of LNG tankers, says Malty Humpert, founder of the Washington-based think tank Arctic Institute: the purchase of old ships, the transfer of ice-class tankers to a Dubai firm and a record number of permits issued to sail on the SMP.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/23433

One of Russia's largest raw materials industries is on the verge of financial collapse

The Russian coal industry, one of the largest raw materials sectors of the economy, which includes more than 30 single-industry towns and 650 thousand employees (including related enterprises), is rushing at full speed towards a severe crisis.

As Rosstat reported, in January–April the net profit in the coal mining sector fell by 93%, or almost 15 times. Less than half of the companies in the industry ended the first four months of 2024 in the black, although a year ago there were two thirds, and their total financial result decreased for the second time - to 72 billion rubles. Every second company, according to official statistics, became unprofitable (52.4%), while their total losses over four months reached 58 billion rubles. As a result, the net profit of coal miners for January–April amounted to only 14.3 billion rubles - almost 200 billion less than in the same period a year earlier.

Cut off by sanctions from Western markets, coal companies are rapidly losing buyers in countries that the Kremlin calls “friendly.” According to the results of the first quarter, Russian coal exports dropped by 13%, and in March the decline reached 17%, experts from the Center for Price Indexes (CPI) of Gazprombank calculated. Every month, coal miners lost about 3 million tons of exports, and prices for Russian coal fell to a 3-year low: $95 per ton in the ports of the Far East (-6% since the beginning of the year), $72 per ton in Taman (-13% since the beginning of the year) and only $61 in the Baltic Sea ports (-14%).

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/23438

Europe is preparing to confiscate payments to Gazprom for Russian gas

Having lost two-thirds of its exports and received a record loss in its history, Gazprom may lose its last revenue on the European gas market.

Remaining buyers of Russian gas in the EU have been warned that their payments to Gazprom could be frozen, Reuters reported, citing three sources familiar with the situation. According to the agency's interlocutors, the Polish energy concern Orlen is seeking to confiscate the money that European companies pay for Russian gas. About a month ago, he sent letters to the Austrian OMV, the Hungarian MVM CEEnergy, and the Slovakian SPP - three companies that continue to receive Gazprom gas.

To avoid blocking payments, to which Gazprom could respond by stopping supplies, the Hungarian authorities urgently adopted a rule protecting gas payments from claims from third countries. The parliament of Slovakia adopted a similar law, SPP reported earlier this week: according to the document, it is prohibited in the country to seize gas in the gas transportation system or payments for it.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/23440

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jaehaerys] [#35]

...865 million. This money will be used for ammunition from the only Czech manufacturer of such ammunition, STV GROUP.

I thank @jana_cernochova and all the people involved in this initiative and all the countries that are helping us.

This is an investment in the security of our citizens and of Europe as a whole.
View Quote

Good to see that the Czech initiative has finally come to fruition. Russia was able to stall the process due to learning about it when the Czechs had to go public to get other countries on board, but not forever. This will be on top of other shells coming from Europe and the US. That should help Ukrainian fire rates to a noteworthy degree, which is very good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#36]
“They write to us” seems to be the last bastion of truth among the Russian milbloggers.
They are definitely feeling the heat.

They write to us:

🖋We were recently removed from the Kherson direction and sent to reinforce the guys from the 44th Army in the area [settlement] of the Kharkov region.

Our guys are battle-hardened, but now many are recovering from the PPD after the last campaign. Now there is a problem with this - there are not enough trained sergeants-instructors, and the guys from the [number]-th brigade look at us as the elite. They are still green and want us to train and mentor them.

We are happy to help, but there are not enough hands for everyone. Thank God, now the situation is stable, and there is time to at least teach someone.

At least it’s better to properly engage with those mobilized at the training grounds, and not behind the tape.

Two majors

https://t.me/dva_majors/46250

Kherson direction, they write to us:

🖋I wish you good health, comrade majors! Marine Corps on call! I want to clarify about problems with water, I saw your post in the secretariat about problems with water and diseases.

We were told that typhoid and cholera were already causing [a number of] deaths, and the number of diseases was growing.

To understand the situation with water: for one soldier there are 12 one and a half buckets for a maximum of two weeks, due to which those who carry out assigned tasks along the banks of the Dnieper or go to the islands as part of the RG, do not have enough water at all, and have to drink from the river and filter the water through fabric, to take water from abandoned wells and wells, which is why this situation arose.

On the islands in the summer, if you work deep in the floodplains, you drink two or three times more water than usual: it’s like in the jungle, and there’s no way to get clean water there to boil, because it’s far from the river bed.

In the conventional rear, the situation is better: we travel and buy water at our own expense. Dropping water from a drone has already become part of the routine. I wouldn't have any complaints if I didn't have the same problem last year.

Nobody wants to learn from their mistakes and solve the problem, and asking volunteers to bring a million bottles of water for the third year of the SVO is even ridiculous.

I hope someone's shoulder straps fly for this. The rear rats already have enough medals, maybe it’s time to punish someone? Just not an ordinary soldier or sergeant.

Two majors

https://t.me/dva_majors/46255

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#37]
⚡️ According to information received from a lawyer, this morning Igor Strelkov was transferred to a colony. There is no information about which colony he was sent to.

https://t.me/i_strelkov_2023/1144

And in case you’ve become fond of Mrs. Strelkov…

Friends, I welcome you to my channel! For almost a year now, my husband Igor Ivanovich Strelkov has been under arrest. You can still learn about current news on his case from this telegram channel.

But it is impossible to correctly assess the present, forgetting about the events of the past. With this video I open a series of videos about the history of the Russian Spring - one that will never be told about in the official media.

Follow new releases on my YouTube channel. Your support is very important.

https://t.me/i_strelkov_2023/1143

??? ????? ??????? | ????????? ?????????
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Great for Ukraine if this happens but what is Israel going to fo to plug the holes these Patriots were covering?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#39]
David’s Sling. These were scheduled to be replaced already. They are PAC-2 only systems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#40]

systems.

While the transfer of all eight systems was being discussed, they might not all end up being sent to Ukraine, four of the people said.”  
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#41]

During Kung Flu there was a shortage of toilet paper briefly, too. If China's plants are shut down or unavailable, the remainder would pick up the slack just like they have with their Russian plant (that I assume is no longer functional). There are US or global replacements for *everything* that ChinaIsAsshoe produces (albeit likely at a higher cost). And, in some industries, they are no longer the low cost producer. These are the facts. My contention is that we need to divorce ourselves from ChinaIsAsshoe and get into a position to once again be self-sufficient and a major exporter as a nation.
View Quote

We will never divorce from another nation to build and produce locally.  Unless we remove the primary blockage, our own environmental and regulatory Goliaths will kill it. We may indeed decide chinaisasshole, but the means of production will not return to our shores.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]
https://i.imgur.com/DFErHPF.jpeg

T-72B3M, June 2024

View Quote

This is the house that Ivan Drank Lotzavodkavich built.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

View Quote

TICK TOCK! It's happening isn't it
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#45]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I like where your head is at, though I'd also be in favor of going for the head of the snake (Iran). Iran finances, arms, trains, and provides intelligence and political backing to various terrorist militias in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine. Admittedly, I don't know nearly as much about the Middle East as I do Eastern Europe, but it would appear to me that Iran is the common denominator here. And, unlike forces like the Houthis and Hezbollah, Iran is an actual state with assets that can't be hidden or moved around to remote areas, and that they can't easily afford to replace. No, I don't want an invasion of Iran, regime change, and nation building. That would make Iraq look like a walk in the park. But I think Iran can 100% be hit where it counts, whether it's via sanctions, cyber attacks, air strikes against big ticket items, etc.
View Quote

I agree with hard attacks on both the houti's and Iran. Without Iran, the houti's hezbo's, hamas, and a few others are not much more than a street gang. I dont see anyone doing Iran properly so Yemen in the low hanging fruit...
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

They still have attack helicopters, boats, etc.

We are playing paddy cake.
View Quote

Are you MAD?! Escalation! What if the houti's get hurt or upset and tell Iran!

The houtis (and Iran) have it COMMING!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRYkpUQx9Q

View Quote

A light APC or armored snow cat?

It DOES look very cool.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By belted_guns:

We will never divorce from another nation to build and produce locally.  Unless we remove the primary blockage, our own environmental and regulatory Goliaths will kill it. We may indeed decide chinaisasshole, but the means of production will not return to our shores.
View Quote

There are folks that are just going to have to face reality that they are responsible for waste streams from the crap they buy, and they are a necessary evil. making it impossible to do here does not make it go away. It's like they are clueless on where the meat they buy comes from. They will only do without for so long.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#50]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:Sometimes you have to step on a guys throat for him to truly get the message.
View Quote

Houthi Tribe Marches in Support of Gaza; Man with Two Amputated Hands: We Will Continue on This Path

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top