BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 471
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

There were several members here who argued as much when Iran attacked US forces in Syria with loitering munitions a while back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Is this accurate?

Looks like it.

I wouldn’t doubt fools here stating an attack on US military personal was “our own fault for being there/pushing them to it”.

There were several members here who argued as much when Iran attacked US forces in Syria with loitering munitions a while back.

Isn’t it amazing that when US interests and Russian interests are in conflict, the US is always in the wrong for a certain group of posters?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
They are sending granny to fight now, lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
I saw some reports of units of Russian women convicts that were wiped out the past few days.

Maybe in her late thirties, early fourties.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Can someone please transport this item to wherever the Yak is?
View Quote

Great minds think alike.

I would pay for the transport.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

PSA has gained a customer. I wonder how long it would take them to make 150k rifles.
View Quote

It would take about three months.  I know a guy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Julian_JJE:

View Quote

Ha, I figured about 6-12 months. It's just amusing how strong the private small arms industry in the US is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Ha, I figured about 6-12 months. It's just amusing how strong the private small arms industry in the US is.
View All Quotes

Heh, it would be poetic if a company that focuses on the civilians beat the HK to a gov contract.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]

PSA has gained a customer. I wonder how long it would take them to make 150k rifles.
View All Quotes

I had the same thought!

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

View All Quotes
I saw some reports of units of Russian women convicts that were wiped out the past few days.

Given the "justice" system of Russia, she might have been in gulag for double parking outside the wrong building.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this accurate?

View Quote

From ISIS or Russia?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

As much as we may like Marcon vis/vis Ukraine, we have to remember that he is a flawed politician trying to maintain a flawed EU-centric system.  This is one of the reasons that the West pushed the "moral" argument and didn't push the "cold self-interest" angle hard enough.  The truth is that, among other things, victory by the Ukes in resisting Russian expansion is fighting and winning a battle to give the Euro populist right the breathing space to unwind the unworkable parts of the EU, which may end up being "most of it".  These populists should understand that they will not be able to achieve their goals if they are spending buku euros/dollars on defense; enough that it will make debates about whether to spend 2% or a lesser number on defense look like the "good old days when candy bars were a nickel".  The Duarte regime in the Philippines tried the approach of domestic populism/nationalism and focusing on domestic enemies while appeasing a neighboring aggressive power and now the PI are trying desperately to mop up the huge mess these policies made regarding the South China Sea and securing the maritime borders of the Philippines.  The fact that support of Ukraine has become a "left/right domestic political issue" is not helpful; quite honestly, the modern western Left/Labor parties (and I am including the US Democrats and the UK "wet" Tories in this) have a pretty shitty record dating back to at least the Balkans and Somalia (and a good case can be made for North Africa, Cuba, Vietnam, and Rhodesia as well) of trying to "manage" wars through legal, diplomatic, and political means rather than actually fighting them to win, seeing them as a crisis to be managed rather than a war to be fought.  Rather than presenting Ukraine as a Crusade to be fought and a victory to be won, it was presented as a way to take Russia in for HR-style retraining while calling anyone who was not instantly on board a Neanderthal or worse.  Especially after Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Balkans, both the US and Euro publics are justifiably tired of hearing about "maintaining a rules-based world order" when the US, EU, and other western powers seem to glory in quashing their own citizens with onerous rules and regulations while never finding it in their heart to do the basic "blocking and tackling" things like enforcing immigration laws or public safety while spending within their means.  Note how the "birth dearth" (which has been going on for decades) ONLY became a crisis to the "International Bright Young Thing" set when it finally dawned on them that you can't raise taxes on children who were never born, and importing kids from dysfunctional third-world countries whose parents were often first cousins was NOT going to result in the development of fusion power.   The only redemption so far is that the Republicans seem to be coming around in the US and the Italian "Right" has really stepped up to the plate.  Hopefully, they find a skeptical "Neanderthal" who despises Putin and remembers all the Soviet/Russian backstabbing over the years and tell him "I want you to make the Russians willing to negotiate in Europe without precondition or reservation; the only thing not on the table are large #s of conventional US/NATO ground forces or the first use of "nonconventional" weapons of the sort that require promasks or damage Xray film.  Any conventional offensive weaponry not issued to units, part of an active contingency lot, or in the rebuild process, as well as anything within two years of lot expiration should be considered available for your mission.   Obey international map borders during strike planning only if convenient to the mission at hand, and any State Department concerns should be forwarded to my Chief of Staff for adjudication only if time and tactical situation permit.  Come back with your shield or on it!  Order is effective time now.  Move out and draw fire!".  I know it's improbable, but a boy can dream!
View Quote

10:10 worthy wall of text!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Heh, it would be poetic if a company that focuses on the civilians beat the HK to a gov contract.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voyager3:

LMT could do it.  Great rifles too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#14]

I can imagine what the lives of the local Force Protection officers and NCOs look like right now.  Having had the same job during 9/11 in Germany (when it was an "additional duty" and was not SUPPOSED to be your main job), I have a very warm feeling when I pull out my blue "retired" ID card.  Please excuse me while I go give my hopefully-"terminal" DD Form 214 a hug!
View All Quotes
Is this accurate?

I can imagine what the lives of the local Force Protection officers and NCOs look like right now.  Having had the same job during 9/11 in Germany (when it was an "additional duty" and was not SUPPOSED to be your main job), I have a very warm feeling when I pull out my blue "retired" ID card.  Please excuse me while I go give my hopefully-"terminal" DD Form 214 a hug!

Got scolded by my O-1 and O-3 for sitting at an outdoor cafe in Spain drinking beer. The 4 of us enlisted guys were the only ones with the necessary NEC to fix the computers and peripherals that kept track of the supplies and orders that made our two ships functional. The ships were AFSs, jokingly referred to as attack food ships. We brought beans, bullets, fresh fruit and veggies as well as spare parts to the fleet at sea. The red brigade or whoever the Soviet and Libyan backed terrorist orgs were back then had attacked US servicemen and women off base in Spain and other places. Freaking ensign made the other guy and I do port and starboard duty in port, so we couldn't hang out. They eventually relaxed that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]

In 1990, the Bundeswehr had a half-million men. Now they can't even arm 40% of that number?

It's just like the tanks & armor. European nations have between 10 and 50% of the equipment they had in the early 90s. It's absolutely crazy how much they disarmed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Meanwhile in Ukraine:

https://i.imgur.com/BsuLIH2.jpeg

View Quote

So where is Ukraine getting freaking Lewis guns?  I can't imagine that there's some dusty warehouse in the West with literal WWI surplus still lying around.  Are they WWII Lend/Lease that the Soviets put into their own dusty warehouse in Ukraine after the war?  Is anyone still making .303 British to speak of, or are they using decades-old ammo too?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

So where is Ukraine getting freaking Lewis guns?  I can't imagine that there's some dusty warehouse in the West with literal WWI surplus still lying around.  Are they WWII Lend/Lease that the Soviets put into their own dusty warehouse in Ukraine after the war?  Is anyone still making .303 British to speak of, or are they using decades-old ammo too?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:
Meanwhile in Ukraine:

https://i.imgur.com/BsuLIH2.jpeg

Probably a local museum.  Some Lewis guns were made in 7.62x54r, and if it’s from a museum or a deep armory stash it’s quite possible it can shoot current 7.62x54.  A couple of blurbs I found on the subject:

-The Russian Empire purchased 10,000 Lewis guns in 1917 from the British government, and ordered another 10,000 weapons from Savage Arms in the US.

-This Lewis gun is in 7.62x54R Russian. The Tzar ordered Lewis guns but the order was stopped by the Russian revolution. It is thought that only 800 guns in 7.62 x54R were actually manufactured. Most of those were delivered to Russia. There are photos of them in use during the Russian civil war post revolution. It is thought that there are only two or three registered in the US. The top of the frame is marked Russia and the magazine is marked with the Tzar’s cypher. .303 drums will not work. The magazines are extremely rare. We just obtained this magazine in mint condition to complete the gun. Apparently the Russian ordered the aircraft drums for the ground guns because they wanted the larger capacity. Thanks to @canadianfirearmsmuseum for finding the drum magazine. Here is another unknown and almost never seen piece of history preserved in the MAG reference collection. I hope you learned something new. #Lewisgun #7.62x54R

-This might be of interest to Lewis gunners. Although over the years I've reactivated at least twenty-five Lewis gun, none have been in 54R, until last winter when one came in that turned out to be in that caliber. The owner did not know that it was 54R, and once work got underway to remove the weld in the chamber, there was evidence that the breech of the chamber was larger than .303. Once the weld was mostly cleared and the chamber visible, it was evident that the chamber was 54R. There were no markings on the barrel except for a number "28", which was also stamped on the top flat area of the rear of the shroud. The receiver was a standard, factory 1914 Lewis, and was not one of the production contract guns for Russia that are marked as such with some parts specially marked as belonging to the Russian guns. It was not one of the "A" prefix Lewis guns that are the most ommon in the US. It remains a mystery about when and hwo did the conversion. The barrel looks factory in all ways.
Fortunately I have several 54R drums form the Lewis guns that were supplied to Russia and once the chamber was restored the gun ran perfectly and totally reliably. The mods to the receiver involve: widening the feed rails and forward edges of the feedway; slightly enlarging the ejection port to allow the rim of the 54R to pass through; the bolt face is opened up slightly for the rim and the extractors are relieved at the claw slightly to accomodate the wider rim width; the tab in the inside center of the feedarm is slightly modified to fit the wider OD of the 54R case.
The 54R is the perfect round for the Lewis, IMO. Of course, the conversion to the receiver to fit the 54T round then alters the feedway sufficiently so that .303 will no longer feed correctly, which too bad. The 54R mods to the feed edges could be reversed to return the gun to .303 of course. The main impediment to conversion is that 54R Russian drums are very scarce. However, I've fooled around with the .303 drums so that the owner can shoot the gun, and with some work they will handle the 54R round, although I have yet tto complete my experiment with the conversion. Barrels can be rechambered as 54R bullets runs well in the .303 bore. There are a lof of "DP" barrels around that might be useful, or new barrel extensions could be made and 1910 barrels adapted to fit the extensions.

Bob Naess
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Got scolded by my O-1 and O-3 for sitting at an outdoor cafe in Spain drinking beer. The 4 of us enlisted guys were the only ones with the necessary NEC to fix the computers and peripherals that kept track of the supplies and orders that made our two ships functional. The ships were AFSs, jokingly referred to as attack food ships. We brought beans, bullets, fresh fruit and veggies as well as spare parts to the fleet at sea. The red brigade or whoever the Soviet and Libyan backed terrorist orgs were back then had attacked US servicemen and women off base in Spain and other places. Freaking ensign made the other guy and I do port and starboard duty in port, so we couldn't hang out. They eventually relaxed that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Is this accurate?

That would suck!  I was lucky in that in the Army I never had to screw over individual soldiers based on position; of course, the "flip side" of that is since we lived there, I had to worry about wives, kids, girlfriends, etc when I was working things, not to mention base access, trying to get resources for upgrades.  The FP job was actually simpler (but a lot less safe) when I did it in a combat zone!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Not from me, I agreed with ya.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Somebody serious about countering Russia could have started training Ukrainians on using F16s three whole years ago.

I remember in the early weeks of the 2022 invasion people saying "it takes too long to train people on F16 so it's not worth it."

I get the hesitancy to send systems beyond small arms, ATGMs, and MANPADS in the early weeks of the invasion (let alone before it, when the outcome was viewed as a fait accompli). However, once the Russians withdrew from Kyiv and it became clear that this was going to be a longer war, the west should've started working towards training Ukrainian pilots, providing IFVs and tanks, long range strike capability, etc.

IIRC the conversations in the earlier days of the other thread, a lot of those folks had spent years training and working with our "allies" in ME countries and considered UA no better, and as such there was no need to do it.

Others, wanted more immediate concerns addressed to stabilize the lines before doing long term stuff.

Some consider RU victory a fait accompli even now.

I suggested giving them the entire A10 fleet along with F16's as it would get it out of US inventory, allowing the USAF to spend the money elsewhere. And second it would give UA a robust plane to attack the front lines.

It was instantly poo poo-ed because the A10 would be a sitting duck to RU ADA. They'll all get shot down, it's to slow, it's to old, and the pilots will get killed, etc, etc, etc...

Never mind it would take months to a year to train them during which the UA would attrit the ADA before the planes were in country like they're doing now. Amazing how that worked.

A lot of people with a bias against the A10 ignored everything after A10 was mentioned in the conversation.

And I'm sure I'll get push back for mentioning it here.

Not from me, I agreed with ya.

I would've loved to see A-10s raking vehicle columns and giving individual tanks the 30mm or AGM-65 treatment.  A-10s might even have gotten lucky and downed a MiG or Su-something with an AIM-9 every once in a while.  

Some A-10s got hit by AAA in Iraq and managed to make it back home; all Iraq's anti-air stuff was sourced from the Soviets, right?  So we know its survivability was proven to a degree- all we couldn't predict was how the new SAM systems could threaten it...but with all the successful SEAD/DEAD Ukraine is putting on, I'd say A-10s could go out over Ukraine and a bit past the FLOT today with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
One North Korean ballistic missile failed, likely to fall near Pyongyang

Delivery time 2024-07-01 10:47

One of the two rockets flew 600 kilometers before falling off the coast of Chongjin

The other one seems to have landed east of Pyongyang after flying about 120 kilometers.

(Seoul = Yonhap News) Kim Ho-jun Kim Ji-heon = It is reported that one of the two ballistic missiles launched by North Korea in the early morning of the 1st is likely to have fallen near Pyongyang due to a failed launch.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff said that North Korea fired two ballistic missiles from the Jangyon area of South Hwanghae Province in a northeasterly direction, one of which flew about 600 kilometers, while the other flew only about 120 kilometers.

It is known that the missile, which flew about 600 km, fell into the sea off Chongjin, but the missile that flew about 120 km most likely fell on land. The 120 km northeast direction from Jangyeon in South Hwanghae Province corresponds to the area east of Pyongyang.

An official of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, "It is difficult to know exactly where [the short-range missile] fell, and we believe that it may have gone toward Pyongyang."

The two missiles launched by North Korea were both believed to be short-range ballistic missiles (SRBMs) of the Hwasong-11 type (KN-23).

On March 14 last year, North Korea fired two Hwasong-11 missiles from the Jangyon area, both of which flew about 610 kilometers.

At the time, North Korea announced through its official media that it conducted an educational demonstration firing of two ground-to-ground tactical ballistic missiles (Hwasong-11 type) under a medium-range system, and the missiles precisely hit the target island of Pido in front of Bangdong-dong, Cheongam District, Chongjin-si, North Hamgyong Province, 611.4 kilometers away.

North Korea's recent ballistic missile launch was carried out in the same place, range, and target point (off the coast of Chongjin) as the launch on March 14 last year, so it is highly likely that one of the two missiles failed to launch.

The military also speculated that the short-range missile was also a Hwasong-11 type and failed to launch, as it is unlikely that North Korea tested different types of missiles while firing two missiles.

[email protected]

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20240701066900504

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Niiiiiice

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Subscribers report that huge balloons with some kind of “cargo” on suspensions are moving in the direction of Crimea.

They also write that these objects, similar to balloons, travel in echelons at an altitude of 6 km to 20 km.

It is difficult to say what functions these balloons perform, but it is desirable that civil aviation aircraft avoid flying around Crimea in these corridors.

Because the Russian military, as usual, may not warn civilian airlines about the danger, and Russian air defense at such altitudes, as always, may confuse targets, which has happened more than once during a full-scale war.

https://t.me/zloyodessit/22086

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what the wreckage of the downed British-Portuguese Tekever AR3 drone, used by the Ukrainian Armed Forces as a kamikaze, looks like.

https://t.me/ZOVcrimea/189561

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Probably going to a 4th of July event.

I hope they drop the T's like flys.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#26]

????? ????? 2 ??????? ???? ? 5 ??????. ??????? «????» ??? ???? ????????? ????? ? ????????? ???????

??????????? ??????????? ???????? ???????-?????????. ??????????? ????????

??????? ???????? ???: ?? ????????????? ???????? ????????? ?? ????????? ?? ?????
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Fully Autonomous Weapon Systems - The technology, capability and controversy of robots at war
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#28]
?????? ??????? ????????, ? ???????? - ????????????, ?????? ?? ?????????? ? ??????????? ?????

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Daily Ukraine Control map summary for Sunday 30th June 2024

Monthly Highlights: A relatively static month, with Ukrainian forces taking back some areas, and Russian forces capturing more.

Ukrainian forces have had very limited success in assaulting Russian forces in north Kharkiv and Vovchansk, whilst Russian forces have still have not managed to capture Kalinina nor the little Kanal district east of Chasiv Yar near Bakhmut

Russian forces did succeed in taking the village of Heorhiivka west of Marinka and a few fields near Novomykhailivka, though vehicle casualties in the area remain atrocious. It does put Kostyantynivka, Vuhledar and the O0532 road in danger though.

June saw even more Black Sea Fleet leaving Sevastopol, with one Krivak and both Bora's now in Novorossiysk. Multiple air defence sites in Crimea were destroyed during June, making it an extremely costly month for Russian air defence.

The Russian VKS FAB campaign continues unabated with no sign of any Ukrainian counter to it. Barring something substantial changing on the ground, it looks like July will be another grinding month where Russian forces make incremental gains

Map: https://uacontrolmap.com

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#30]
🫡 Free Serpent - meaning of winning the battle for the island

👥 Exactly two years ago, on June 30, 2022, special officers of the GUR of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the Special Operations Center "A" of the SBU landed on Zmiino.

🔗 https://gur.gov.ua/content/vilnyi-zmiinyi-znachennia-vyhranoi-bytvy-za-ostriv.html

?????????? ?. ???????: ????????? ????? ?????? ???

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Video
🤯 Locals find wreckage of Russian iron everywhere.

As a reminder, seven people were injured in the night attack on the Dnipro

https://t.me/dnepr_operativ/68054

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The second amendment in the USA even benefits other countries.

Think about that.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Ukrainian War - June 2024
End-of-month summary of areas occupied by the Russian army | LPR | DPR in the oblasts of Ukraine.
#UkraineRussianWar #GuerreEnUkraine

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#37]

S300-PS battery, Ukraine, sometime between 2010-2013.

These radars are huge...
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GAyxAb9W0AAu6Ek?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Very happy to see she made it; shocked really as she was the very face of the kidnappings.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#39]
🇺🇦⚓ Military units and units of the Naval Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine within the groups and outside of them continue to perform tasks related to repelling the armed aggression of the Russian Federation

As a result of successful combat operations, the estimated losses of the enemy from 01.06.24 to 30.06.24 amounted to

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#43]

"There are currently no mass-produced 500 MHz jamming modules, so it is recommended to target their video/feedback channels. At 13 plus kilometers, they are certainly using relays."
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#44]
https://i.imgur.com/FcNwHg1.jpeg

S300-PS battery, Ukraine, sometime between 2010-2013.

These radars are huge...
View Quote

Yep, and they make far fewer radars than launching systems or missiles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#46]

That was a huge explosion.
View Quote

and to think they invented fireworks over a thousand years ago.  You'd think they'd have a handle on it by now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote

Sounds like the late 1920's and 30's all over again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Go home Russians.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Go home Russians.

View Quote

Oooof right in the nads
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top