BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 472
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

I would've loved to see A-10s raking vehicle columns and giving individual tanks the 30mm or AGM-65 treatment.  A-10s might even have gotten lucky and downed a MiG or Su-something with an AIM-9 every once in a while.  

Some A-10s got hit by AAA in Iraq and managed to make it back home; all Iraq's anti-air stuff was sourced from the Soviets, right?  So we know its survivability was proven to a degree- all we couldn't predict was how the new SAM systems could threaten it...but with all the successful SEAD/DEAD Ukraine is putting on, I'd say A-10s could go out over Ukraine and a bit past the FLOT today with confidence.
View Quote

I always refer back to "if the Ukrainians think it could be useful and want to give it a try" we should provide it, assuming we have it available. With limited pilots and even more limited training slots, they should focus on the most bang for the buck, which is the F16 now. But I think just announcing that they will get the A10, even if it's 2 barely flyable ones, will get the Russians all worked up and probably making stupid mistakes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Some footage we have seen before, but some I have not.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Sounds like the late 1920's and 30's all over again.
View Quote

Why is it 87% of the time when history rhymes it’s never cool shit like 1930s Gabardine suits or the Golden Age of Hollywood films?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
View Quote

MSNBC was bitching about France elections yesterday
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]

9P157-2 "Khrizantema-S" variant of the BMP-3 with some add on armor.

It seems the radar is gone/unusable with the cages.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

So where is Ukraine getting freaking Lewis guns?  I can't imagine that there's some dusty warehouse in the West with literal WWI surplus still lying around.  Are they WWII Lend/Lease that the Soviets put into their own dusty warehouse in Ukraine after the war?  Is anyone still making .303 British to speak of, or are they using decades-old ammo too?
View Quote

Ukraine retained large stocks of WW II weapons after the breakup of the former Soviet Union. Prigozhin captured a huge cache that was stored in a salt mine. That cache included Lewis machine guns and Thompson M1 .45 acp's, as well as dozens of other rifles of different makes that can best be described as "battlefield pickups" from WW II.

That, most certainly, wasn't the only storage facility inside Ukraine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#11]

ATESH recorded the installation of the Tor M2KM air defense system in Sevastopol

This time, the Russians have chosen another “ideal” place to place their anti-aircraft missile system. It was placed directly above the beach, again endangering the local population.

Most likely this is one of the last photographs of this complex.
As you know, self-propelled guns systematically remove radar stations and air defense systems, freeing up a kind of corridor to the Crimean bridge!

The countdown to the life of the “illegal structure” has begun.

If you are tired of tolerating the invaders destroying Crimea, write to our coordinator and pass on the information you have: @Ametham_atesh_ua

https://t.me/atesh_ua/5011

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Go home Russians.

View Quote

He would have been ahead to picked that thing up and tossed it.  

Yep, go home.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#13]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

In 1990, the Bundeswehr had a half-million men. Now they can't even arm 40% of that number?

It's just like the tanks & armor. European nations have between 10 and 50% of the equipment they had in the early 90s. It's absolutely crazy how much they disarmed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In 1990, the Bundeswehr had a half-million men. Now they can't even arm 40% of that number?

It's just like the tanks & armor. European nations have between 10 and 50% of the equipment they had in the early 90s. It's absolutely crazy how much they disarmed.

1990 the Bundeswehr had equipment for roughly 3 million soldiers for 30 - 40 days, this was before the reunification.

They scrapped millions of G3 (most of them brand new and never issued) and billions of rounds of ammo.

The GDR allegedly had 1000 rounds of ammo for every citizen, 16 billion rounds of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mmR and 5.54x39mm.

Not much was sold, Germany burned this ammo in special ovens for years, AFAIK into the early 2000s.

You are reading this right, they burned the ammo.

And they were still burning ammo in August 2022, there was a big fire in an ammo disposal company. It was not released what type of ammo caused the fire.

They are nuts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRZl4C5W4AAtqiF?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

The poor dude who wrote that comprehensive authoritative book with all the variants of the M113 and pictures has GOT to be tearing his hair out right about now!
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Why is it 87% of the time when history rhymes it’s never cool shit like 1930s Gabardine suits or the Golden Age of Hollywood films?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Sounds like the late 1920's and 30's all over again.

"I wanted a Duesenberg or Cord and streamlined luxury trains but all I got was a European Major Conflict, a Naval Arms Race and the militarization of the Pacific Rim!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

"I wanted a Duesenberg or Cord and streamlined luxury trains but all I got was a European Major Conflict, a Naval Arms Race and the militarization of the Pacific Rim!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#17]
It appears I am permitted back on twitter. Now to restore the folks I was following.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#18]

The poor dude who wrote that comprehensive authoritative book with all the variants of the M113 and pictures has GOT to be tearing his hair out right about now!
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRZl4C5W4AAtqiF?format=jpg&name=medium

Osprey Publishing can add a few new series to their portfolio.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
It is all coming together, motocycle assult at Vuhledear.

The Price is Right Losing Horn - Sound Effect (HD)

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Headshot video. This video is new, for the subtitles, posted yesterday.

If some of those responses raise eyebrows, consider that the original video without translations was done a year ago, when there was less risk and awareness of people going to jail for saying some of these things. Also, the Headshot video only offers translation. The original video was done by Radio Svoboda (Radio Liberty) for the domestic Russian/Ukrainian market.

"??????, ?????, ????" | ????? ??????? ???????? ? ????????? ??????? ???????? ?????? ? ????????
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#21]
34 Minutes ago.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I always refer back to "if the Ukrainians think it could be useful and want to give it a try" we should provide it, assuming we have it available. With limited pilots and even more limited training slots, they should focus on the most bang for the buck, which is the F16 now. But I think just announcing that they will get the A10, even if it's 2 barely flyable ones, will get the Russians all worked up and probably making stupid mistakes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
I would've loved to see A-10s raking vehicle columns and giving individual tanks the 30mm or AGM-65 treatment.  A-10s might even have gotten lucky and downed a MiG or Su-something with an AIM-9 every once in a while.  

Some A-10s got hit by AAA in Iraq and managed to make it back home; all Iraq's anti-air stuff was sourced from the Soviets, right?  So we know its survivability was proven to a degree- all we couldn't predict was how the new SAM systems could threaten it...but with all the successful SEAD/DEAD Ukraine is putting on, I'd say A-10s could go out over Ukraine and a bit past the FLOT today with confidence.

Not to mention, as long as the pilots survive, they can keep flying missions. Let's say 4 trained pilots & crews: send them 24 surplus A10s so they have a half-dozen planes each to get shot out from under them.

After which the pilots should probably be retired anyway.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
1990 the Bundeswehr had equipment for roughly 3 million soldiers for 30 - 40 days, this was before the reunification.

They scrapped millions of G3 (most of them brand new and never issued) and billions of rounds of ammo.

The GDR allegedly had 1000 rounds of ammo for every citizen, 16 billion rounds of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mmR and 5.54x39mm.

Not much was sold, Germany burned this ammo in special ovens for years, AFAIK into the early 2000s.

And they were still burning ammo in August 2022, there was a big fire in an ammo disposal company. It was not released what type of ammo caused the fire.

They are nuts.
View Quote

It's BS that Poland, Czechia, and Slovakia lie to the east of Germany. Germany faces no threat of invasion, so they've unilaterally disarmed. But we'd defend them because they're NATO? They don't deserve the protection afforded to the eastern nations at greatest risk.

We need to pull up every last military installation we have left in Germany and shift them all to the east. Send Germany a bill for the move, and they pay 100% cleanup costs. I can't imagine the economic impact for Germany those bases have provided over the last 75 years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

The drone pilot later that day on the phone, describing the situation to his wife:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Combined arms maneuver warfare?

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Well, sort of, but with crayons.

The simple answer is to create more targets and increase the odds of one or more invaders breaking through. In a similar way, Russia has begun using two-man teams to conduct urban assaults.

So what are the "perceived" benefits of these tactics?  

1) For the Russian military, meat is cheap (Storm-Z);
2) It forces the AFU to identify their locations early by having to fire at less significant targets; and,
3) It takes more ammunition, FPV drones and operators, and troops to kill 10 individual invaders advancing on motorcycles than if they were clustered together on top of a turtle tank.

At least that is the theory...

I would imagine any artillery or mortars would have a devastating effect as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:11:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GBTX01] [#29]
UKR needs to install a strand or two of barbwire across the leading edge of their woodline and narrow roads at about shoulder high.     That should slow down the motorcycle assaults a little.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRZ64XiXgAAPq-z?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRZ64XoWoAAeBvI?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRWJL5YWQAAfW_2?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GBTX01:
UKR needs to install a strand or two of barbwire across the leading edge of their woodline and narrow roads at about shoulder high.     That should slow down the motorcycle assaults a little.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/d8/9f/bed89f3073c35a23482f36699c8bbbd1.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GBTX01:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/d8/9f/bed89f3073c35a23482f36699c8bbbd1.jpg

That would be interesting to see.  But yeah, simple problems require simple solutions.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#31]
From 11:10 AM Eastern--militants shooting large, for Gaza, rocket barrages from Khan Younis.

The Israeli military is calling on Palestinians in eastern neighborhoods of Khan Younis to evacuate the area and head toward the designated "humanitarian zone."

Lt. Col. Avichay Adraee, the IDF's Arabic-language spokesman, publishes a list of the zones that need to be evacuated alongside the announcement.

The zones include the Khan Younis suburbs of al-Qarara and Bani Suheila, the Abasan neighborhoods, the town of Khuza’a, and several other areas.

The move comes after this morning a barrage of at least 20 rockets were fired from the Khan Younis area at Israeli border communities.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Where are they getting so many capable dirtbike riders?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#33]
lol.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#34]
lol.

View Quote

If a Russian fighter pilots finger got close to the “fire” button when pointed at an RC-135 he’d be dead, with all his buddies in their barracks and his ground crew, before the second thought went through his head.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Somebody's combat effectiveness got bushwhacked pretty hard based on those numbers. It's just beyond comprehension.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By voyager3:
View Quote

Maybe that is the problem, they aren't capable dirtbike riders.

Older examples nsfw.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#37]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRYp27jW0AEQW8I?format=jpg&name=900x900
View All Quotes

"There are currently no mass-produced 500 MHz jamming modules, so it is recommended to target their video/feedback channels. At 13 plus kilometers, they are certainly using relays."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRYp27jW0AEQW8I?format=jpg&name=900x900

If they are using the usual 433MHz modules, dialing them to use 500Mhz is right up at the top end of their frequency range for the RF devices themselves. Due to the inefficiency of the RF devices themselves at the top end of their limits, their range is probably crap. That's most likely why they are forced to use relays.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#38]
8 minutes ago.

If it is ATACMS they already hit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By voyager3:
View Quote

Never underestimate a beginner's skill or what someone given a dirt bike and a suicide mission, have in their bag of tricks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#42]

It's BS that Poland, Czechia, and Slovakia lie to the east of Germany. Germany faces no threat of invasion, so they've unilaterally disarmed. But we'd defend them because they're NATO? They don't deserve the protection afforded to the eastern nations at greatest risk.

We need to pull up every last military installation we have left in Germany and shift them all to the east. Send Germany a bill for the move, and they pay 100% cleanup costs. I can't imagine the economic impact for Germany those bases have provided over the last 75 years.
View Quote

Don't forget to thank UK and France.

Germany has overdone things, without question, but UK and France pressured them into a massive disarmament.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]

They are nuts.
View Quote

I love Germany but it's hard not to just say "fuck them". Also every German I know is a huge liberal. Too bad it is Ukraine protecting Germany and not the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Just hold on, we may see sub guns, trench mortars, and armored trains before it's over...

p.s. hopefully no Zoot-suits...
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Osprey Publishing can add a few new series to their portfolio.

View Quote

Maybe a new book..."One of a kind custom armored vehicles, beyond the thunder dome".
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I have to admit that I have great respect for a man willing to speed across minefields on a motorcycle or buggy, under artillery and drone fire all to jump into an enemy trench and engage in close combat.

I thought I was tough when I got my jump wings but I dont think I have the guts to get my motor-assault wings in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Not to mention, as long as the pilots survive, they can keep flying missions. Let's say 4 trained pilots & crews: send them 24 surplus A10s so they have a half-dozen planes each to get shot out from under them.

After which the pilots should probably be retired anyway.
View Quote

Exactly. I have said the same about Abrams and tank crews. Forget the maintenance and making it to 100K miles, just keep funneling them the tanks (and jets) and if each one gets the UA only 1 Km but the crew survives, its a huge win.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Just hold on, we may see sub guns, trench mortars, and armored trains before it's over...

p.s. hopefully no Zoot-suits...
View Quote

Beat twice today - first Fanny packs and just as I returned to this thread for zoot suits
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

If a Russian fighter pilots finger got close to the “fire” button when pointed at an RC-135 he’d be dead, with all his buddies in their barracks and his ground crew, before the second thought went through his head.
View Quote

God I hope so. But with the crew we have in charge now...doubts I have...
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#50]

Beat twice today - first Fanny packs and just as I returned to this thread for zoot suits
View Quote

I'm still a frequent fag-bag user
And standing by for the return of Zoot-suit riots between sailors and inner-city punks.
Page / 472
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top