User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree to disagree then.
View Quote
As long as we both agree that you just have a chip on your shoulder for rich people.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
There isn't even a "morality" argument for it.(meaning against wealth inequality) It is moral to take from one that has earned his reward? The parable of the talents, and the parable of the hirelings come to mind. God never guaranteed equal outcomes. The govt shouldn't either.

In fact it is a good thing. It inspires some to aim higher. It allows us to be where we want to be. I don't want your McMansion. I don't want your HOA. I can paint my house pink if I want. Funny how those that praise diversity don't really want it do they?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IMO, people are significantly over estimating how "easy" life was on the boomers. It's mostly horsecrap. Life is so much better now across the board it's not even debatable.
View Quote
87% of the 'tards whining about "boomers" can't define the age group they're mad at. I've seen people that voted for Roosevelt called boomers, people that voted for congressmen in 1965 (do the math) called boomers, and the best I can figure "boomer" is anyone that has more shit than them, no matter when they were born.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As long as we both agree that you just have a chip on your shoulder for rich people.
View Quote
You have me all wrong.  I am the rich person.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

38 bought my first home less than a year ago
View Quote
I think I was 24. 14x70 mobile home.  Mid 50's now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then I look forward to hearing about how you are distributing your wealth to the oppressed victims.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like you prill.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's feels mostly.

They are oblivious to how many jobs wealthy people support and how much they pay in taxes.

A guy worth billions likely has businesses that give work to thousands of people.

Sure there are those 2nd, 3rd and beyond generation rich guys that were born into it and were able to either take over a turn key operation or just live off a trust fund, but they aren't the norm when it comes to your average higher than middle class earner.
View Quote
That and even on smaller scales, the small business owner netting $100,000 is most likely cutting checks to multiple other middle class families in their communities and doing business with other local business moving more money into upper middle class people’s pockets. Poor people aren’t poor because they are smart and have in depth thought processes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You just graduated? LOL

When my crowd graduated we were offered entry level jobs at minimum wage.  We worked that job AND a retail gig for years, until we had enough experience to get paid enough to stop flipping burgers. Nobody was buying their own house until years later.

People didn't graduate high school, get hired at some ridiculously high salary, buy mansions, yachts, and Cadillacs. You're looking at silly memes about "boomers" and actually believing them.
View Quote
I'm not talking about Cadillacs, mansions, and yachts.

I'm talking about basic lifetime milestones. Kids. Homeownership.

Nice Strawman though

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/payroll/news/21070211/student-loan-debt-forcing-millennials-to-delay-major-life-milestones
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want everyone to post their age when they say they have no problem with wealth inequality, along with how old they were when they bought their first home. I'm just making a bet.
View Quote
49 and bought my first home at 22yrs old as a young E-3 in the Army, I have owned three homes in my lifetime.

Sold one, paid off the other and bought the home I am currently in. If you want wealth you have to work hard or get lucky. I did a little of both and was able to retire at 46.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice Strawman though

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/payroll/news/21070211/student-loan-debt-forcing-millennials-to-delay-major-life-milestones
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just graduated? LOL

When my crowd graduated we were offered entry level jobs at minimum wage.  We worked that job AND a retail gig for years, until we had enough experience to get paid enough to stop flipping burgers. Nobody was buying their own house until years later.

People didn't graduate high school, get hired at some ridiculously high salary, buy mansions, yachts, and Cadillacs. You're looking at silly memes about "boomers" and actually believing them.

Nice Strawman though

Your own decisions is what is impacting your “milestones”.

You were raised to get a college education and magically everything else is just supposed to appear. Well it doesn’t work like that and there is an entire generation out there with student debt, stupid degrees, and shit jobs.

All of this is going on and I can’t find a single 18-25 year old to hire because suddenly construction work isn’t a good job in their eyes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice Strawman though

View Quote
If you are in your 20’s you’ve got a long row to hoe.  As most have said here you don’t start doing well until your approach your 40’s.

I had my first kid at 27 and second at 30.  It was super tight.  We had church donation clothes for the kids and maybe $100 for Christmas.  We lived with my parents until our first was 6 months old and we bought a $100k house.  It wasn't easy.

Find ways to grow your career and maybe move to a higher opportunity area. This is the time you need to be looking for opportunity and exploit that timing and luck.  The longer you wait the harder it will be.  Be prepared to slave the next 10-15 years.

I was born when my parents were ~30 and we lived in rental townhomes until I was around 8.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice Strawman though

View Quote
That's why I said nobody was buying a house until years later. They weren't intentionally having kids, either. Which is funny as boomers (real ones) not having kids until their 40's has always been a thing. Again, you mistook silly memes for reality and now you're so pissed you can't even think straight.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
So what's the bottom line after six pages? Boomers voted for FDR therefore the government needs to confiscate wealth and hand it to... who exactly?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You were raised to get a college education and magically everything else is just supposed to appear. Well it doesn’t work like that and there is an entire generation out there with student debt, stupid degrees, and shit jobs.

All of this is going on and I can’t find a single 18-25 year old to hire because suddenly construction work isn’t a good job in their eyes.
View Quote
Construction isn't a good job because we went to college so we wouldn't have to break our backs out in the heat and cold to be paid garbage wages that don't cover the long term health costs associated with a lifetime of physical work.

Not to mention your brain has a much longer useful workplace productivity window than your body.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So what's the bottom line after six pages? Boomers voted for FDR therefore the government needs to confiscate wealth and hand it to... who exactly?
View Quote
I think wage growth has stagnated for unskilled labor, and the added cost of "you must have a degree" has added additional burden.  I don't know if the early 2000's cliche of the underwater basket weaving degree or feminine studies degrees still happen at liberal arts schools costing $100-$200k, but if they do, I have no empathy.

You can learn online for damn near free and get some certifications for a few hundred dollars and get an entry level job in IT/programming making $40-$60k with no degree and if you are good at it, quickly climb to 6 figures, along with healthcare, discounted stock, etc.  I say that as someone who has been hiring in this field for 15 years.

I'm not pushing my kids to go to college unless they have a specific goal in mind, otherwise I'll be pushing certs and other types of low cost learning.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just graduated? LOL

Nice Strawman though

I wish you were in my AO, because I'd love to get my hands dirty. Cubicles suck the life out of people.

Of course, it'd look bad on my resume. Which is dumb.

I'll probably just go back to the corporate world, but I've thought about opening a bow range / bbq place. It might be fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Construction isn't a good job because we went to college so we wouldn't have to break our backs out in the heat and cold to be paid garbage wages that don't cover the long term health costs associated with a lifetime of physical work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, you are clueless and have the typical millennial attitude.

I’ll go back to counting my money now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wish you were in my AO, because I'd love to get my hands dirty. Cubicles suck the life out of people.

Of course, it'd look bad on my resume. Which is dumb.

I'll probably just go back to the corporate world, but I've thought about opening a bow range / bbq place. It might be fun.
View Quote
I've been thinking the same, exit corp world and do something fun involving cars, bbq, etc.  My true interests.  I've decided if they are going to pay me obscene amounts of money I'd better stay in the soulless corp machine until my kids are of legal age.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The word is a lib term and BS.

40 and I purchased my first home at 20. I now own several and allow others to live in them in exchange for a monthly fee. Capitalism rocks and anyone that says different is a lib.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wew I'll let you count that $15 an hour
Within 50 miles of me
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The people here who want to “fix” wealth inequality (whatever the fuck that is) are ok with the gov using guns to take from some to give to others.

It’s morally atrocious.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Within 50 miles of me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Within 50 miles of me
Keep making excuses as to why you can’t/won’t succeed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Within 50 miles of me
View Quote
Not sure what's the point here.  Anything short of $35/hr is below average income.  I don't see manual labor doing that, but maybe welding, pipe fitting or some other trade?  I'm in IT so I have no idea what those jobs make.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Within 50 miles of me
View Quote
You do realize that a skilled tradesman isn't a laborer, right?

Laborers can be picked up outside Home Depot.  Electricians, not so much.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
A person was bitching about how they can't find construction workers

I simply retorted that maybe, just maybe, the wages aren't worth the shit you have to go through to be one, on a long term or short term basis.

I also didn't get myself tens of thousands of dollars of debt to end up working construction.

I swear it's the most retarded thing, growing up we were told "Go to college unless you want to work a shitty job your whole life". So we did. Now that we're better educated and in debt, boomers have the balls to say "What are ya? Too good for this shitty job?"

Yes.  Yes I am.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sure what's the point here.  Anything short of $35/hr is below average income.  I don't see manual labor doing that, but maybe welding, pipe fitting or some other trade?  I'm in IT so I have no idea what those jobs make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Within 50 miles of me
Not sure where $35 an hour is the average wage. That would be $13,000 more than the average family income in the U.S. in 2017.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I live in a crappy small town in the Midwest. I drive a 17 year old truck that was paid off in cash when I got it. I rent a shitty 2br apartment surrounded by tweakers. I don't have a landline, I don't have cable.  I do have 40k in debt from a state university because my parents forced me to go to college when I did not know what field I wanted to go into. I worked my ass off and had a part time job in college and still managed to graduate in 4 years with a 4.0GPA my last semester.

I can't afford to save for a house because of rent, medical bills, and my student loans. I can't have kids, even though I want to, because it's not financially responsible.

Don't fucking tell me I didn't sacrifice enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it.

The answer is to move to a lower COL area or to sacrifice.

No one wants to do those things.

They want cell phones, cool cars, and a townhouse in (insert trendy area).

Strip the elevated, unnecessary expenditures from today's millennials and you end up with way more than a fighting chance.
I live in a crappy small town in the Midwest. I drive a 17 year old truck that was paid off in cash when I got it. I rent a shitty 2br apartment surrounded by tweakers. I don't have a landline, I don't have cable.  I do have 40k in debt from a state university because my parents forced me to go to college when I did not know what field I wanted to go into. I worked my ass off and had a part time job in college and still managed to graduate in 4 years with a 4.0GPA my last semester.

I can't afford to save for a house because of rent, medical bills, and my student loans. I can't have kids, even though I want to, because it's not financially responsible.

Don't fucking tell me I didn't sacrifice enough.
No one forced you, quit pulling that shit. Personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wanted to take a year off and look for a job because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Parents wouldn't have it. Threatened to kick me out in the middle of a recession or go to college. Stop acting like you would've done any different.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I simply retorted that maybe, just maybe, the wages aren't worth the shit you have to go through to be one, on a long term or short term basis.

I also didn't get myself tens of thousands of dollars of debt to end up working construction.

I swear it's the most retarded thing, growing up we were told "Go to college unless you want to work a shitty job your whole life". So we did. Now that we're better educated and in debt, boomers have the balls to say "What are ya? Too good for this shitty job?"

Yes.  Yes I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Yes I am.
First I wasn’t bitching. I simply stated I couldn’t find any to hire.

Second, my so called shitty job allows me to do everything I want to do in life and am I only working now because I still enjoy it.

Third, I am not a boomer.

Fourth, you sound like a spoiled brat who’s complaining about shitty decisions you made for yourself. If something isn’t working then man up and fix it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not sure where $35 an hour is the average wage. That would be $13,000 more than the average family income in the U.S. in 2017.
View Quote
You are right, I was running a few different calculations.  Closer to $28-30.

$30/hr is $62k and I cannot imagine raising a family on that.  I was making $85k in a LCOL area in a 3 bedroom 2100sqft with two small children (~$1,900 per month).  Medical debt from not having good insurance, wife's car note, insurance, kids things, etc.  Seems unrealistic now.

We ended up with $300/month left after basic all necessities, so I sold my 5 year old CTS because it was so tight and bought a '92 bronco which I drove for several years.

Dave Ramsey helped me get my mind right and to stay out of debt.  After that I just saved and invested in my 401k (target date) and the windfall all went into Vanguard Total Market, Total Bond, and Total International.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

More Americans are living in multigenerational households by necessity.  The future does not look promising for the millennials and along with indoctrination (grade school through college), is it at all surprising that many of them are socialists?  Easy to believe in allure of socialism when you own nothing.
View Quote
You speak of multi-generational living like it’s a bad thing, and those that do it are losers. Many cultures do this, especially Asians, and it’s why they’re exponentially wealthier than their counterparts. Cultural Marxism is to blame, encouraging every that they need their own space, date, but live in separate apartments.

American homes make no sense. 4,000 sq ft, and you only use the garage, kitchen, living room, and your bedroom. You’re gone for 60 hours a week, and the house sits there, unused. Even when you are home, there’s three unoccupied bedrooms, and a 2,000 sq ft finished basement. I think I’m making my point on the house.

Moving home instead of wasting it is the best decision millennials have made. Except it’s done out of necessity, not strategically.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I missed this detail.

I assume the medical bills must be very high, and if so, that truly sucks.

I'm not judging here, but outside of the medical bills, I don't understand.

$80k is easily enough to afford $40k in school debt, a new car, and buy a home in a crappy midwest town.  I know this from personal experience.  But, again, did not have medical bills, and can see how that could tilt the equation.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You speak of multi-generational living like it’s a bad thing, and those that do it are losers. Many cultures do this, especially Asians, and it’s why they’re exponentially wealthier than their counterparts. Cultural Marxism is to blame, encouraging every that they need their own space, date, but live in separate apartments.

American homes make no sense. 4,000 sq ft, and you only use the garage, kitchen, living room, and your bedroom. You’re gone for 60 hours a week, and the house sits there, unused. Even when you are home, there’s three unoccupied bedrooms, and a 2,000 sq ft finished basement. I think I’m making my point on the house.

Moving home instead of wasting it is the best decision millennials have made. Except it’s done out of necessity, not strategically.
View Quote
This

But the worst part of it is the parents who are still living in the past that make it hell to live with them, and also those that judge people for living with their parents.

It's all cultural, and with some luck in a few decades the attitudes will have changed. It will only take one more major economic crash and a few funerals
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Democrats bring up the non-issue of income disparity to get the poor to raise a stink about it, and change the way we live. This is because most Democrats in power are obscenely rich, and they want to kick the door shut on anyone from ever rising up.

This is why they must pit the haves against the have nots, so they can keep poor people poor indefinitely. There’s currently no system or infrastructure to do so in the United States, and they’re eager to implement.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This

But the worst part of it is the parents who are still living in the past that make it hell to live with them, and also those that judge people for living with their parents.

It's all cultural, and with some luck in a few decades the attitudes will have changed. It will only take one more major economic crash and a few funerals
View Quote
I lived with my parents after marriage, 18 months later our daughter was born and 6 months after that I bought my first house.

They had a large, 100 year old Victorian house though so we had the (drafty/sweltering) room, but it sure lit a fire under my ass.  I started my company living in their house 2 weeks after my daughter was born.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and I necessitated to get the hell out of there.  I also happened to see an opening in the market and built a product to fill it.  That's the timing, hard work, and luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This

View Quote
Most millennials love Gary Vaynerchuk, and he’s been speaking non-stop about how MG living needs to be adopted because of the aforementioned reasons. Grant Cardone speaks about it too, and he makes a living off renting people apartments.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The biggest problem I see is capital hoarding, our economy would be orders of magnitude stronger if more of that wealth were flowing through the economic lower end majority and lower middle class.

Something does need to change in the realm of wage stagnation.

That being said, I abhor the idea that there be any forced redistribution of wealth.
View Quote
The solution you seek is tightening the low skilled labor market by enforcing immigration laws.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Keep making excuses as to why you can't/won't succeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go back to counting my money now.
Within 50 miles of me
Keep making excuses as to why you can't/won't succeed.
This! That attitude is what keeps folks from success. Victor if I was in your shoes I would be working two jobs instead making excuses.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wanted to take a year off and look for a job because I didn't know what I wanted to do. Parents wouldn't have it. Threatened to kick me out in the middle of a recession or go to college. Stop acting like you would've done any different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Son I left home on my own at that age, how could I have gotten kicked out?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's the entire point, though. Someone like myself that has made many serious sacrifices and has made the right choices is still struggling at a point in life where the previous generation was prospering.
View Quote
I’m curious. What do you and your girlfriend do on evenings and weekends?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's in his early 20's and has made sacrifices, though he has no children, he's got an appt and live in girlfriend and can eat...and makes $80k/yr....
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
$35/hr average income?

The average household income is $60K/yr.

$35/hr is equivalent to $70K/yr.

What planet are you from?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

$35/hr average income?

The average household income is $60K/yr.

$35/hr is equivalent to $70K/yr.

What planet are you from?
View Quote
See my correction lurker ;)
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
The story gets better and better.

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Relax. Fish. Shoot. Probably not much different from everyone else here.

Plase don't tell me you're suggesting that you think we should be working more? I think 2 full time jobs should be more than enough to support a young couple.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Relax. Fish. Shoot. Probably not much different from everyone else here.

Plase don't tell me you're suggesting that you think we should be working more? I think 2 full time jobs should be more than enough to support a young couple.
View Quote
I had crippling medical bills from my wife not long after my daughter was born.  We had over $100k just from the hospital ICU with no insurance, and since we went to a non-profit, they cut it to $10k.

I paid the minimum for 10 years and they stopped sending me bills.  That's all we could afford and they wrote it off.

We negotiated the rest down as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

His entire income is capital gains generated from his wealth sitting in an account full of investments.

Which leaves the vast majority of his money just growing untouched and unusable to the economy.
View Quote
Investments.

His money are in accounts full of investments.

What makes his money grow?

Interest, and dividends.

Why is anyone paying him interest or dividends?

He's loaning his money to companies and municipalities so they can buy things and services, or he's buying part ownership in a corporation so they have more capital so they can buy products and services.

Explain why you think that his money is no longer part of the economy?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
RNs working at the largest level 1 trauma hospital don’t make $35/hr in Columbus, OH.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top