BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
climate fags never care about my heating costs in winter.  cold will kill you faster than heat.
View Quote
Actually it is easy to make heat even without electricity.
Just use a fireplace.
So if it is freezing outside you can still stay warm by the fire.
Now if it is 100 degrees outside try to make it cool.

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Due to Newsome corrupt government getting PG&E on board of the green bullshit, we are paying .42 per Kwh!!
After threatening them with lawsuits, its my contention that Newsome strong armed them to get on board so they could raise rates to pay off the fire claims and give Newscum and the dems kickbacks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So poor people's home aren't insulated enough. Oh no, need another government program and stringent expensive building regulations.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I paid $11K two years ago for an AC system for my house. AC guy came by for routine maintenance and said that a new install is now around $18K and will double in price by next year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Due to Newsome corrupt government getting PG&E on board of the green bullshit, we are paying .42 per Kwh!!
After threatening them with lawsuits, its my contention that Newsome strong armed them to get on board so they could raise rates to pay off the fire claims and give Newscum and the dems kickbacks.
View Quote
Time to go 100% solar. With those rates you can have a nice backup battery and still payoff quickly.

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I paid $11K two years ago for an AC system for my house. AC guy came by for routine maintenance and said that a new install is now around $18K and will double in price by next year.
View Quote
I doubt it doubles next year.

I put a 1 ton mini split in a few weeks ago for about $800. Spent an extra $180 on tools for the first install. I plan to add a couple more this summer.

With how high central units are now, I've considered just specing mini splits when we build a house.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let's close natural gas and coal power plants so that electricity cost more.
View Quote

Don't forget the nuclear ones, also "bad for the planet".

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Scientific American is neither scientific nor American. It's a German owned rag, and spews all the BS that comes
along with that.
View Quote

Yep. I stopped reading at 'climate change'...
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome to living in the South. If we can afford AC then anyone can.
View Quote
They could move north and bitch about heating costs.

Moral of the story: being poor sucks
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$720 for an average summer bill seems ridiculous.
View Quote

Average for where?  The neighborhood of 6,000 SF uninsulated homes in S. Arizona?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
climate fags never care about my heating costs in winter.  cold will kill you faster than heat.
View Quote
Cold will also wreck your home faster than heat. Pipes don't burst because it was 105 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File
Quoted:
Bullshit.  Absolute psyop, gaslighting bullshit.

What makes your electric bills too high isn't global warming.  It's politicians purposefully destroying the dollar, using the power of the federal government to shut down cheap power plants, and forcing a move to unreliable, expensive energy.

You have to be an absolute fool to believe that.  High prices and shortages are being driven onto the American people, and the poor will pay first.

Between clean natural gas and nuclear alone, we could produce more power than we need for 30% cheaper than our current prices if the government got out of the way.

This is an agenda-driven, garbage article.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, our electric supplier has “been improving the reliability of the power grid” with associated rate hikes being earmarked for this purpose. Only problem, they’ve been doing it for at least thirty years and after every storm our state regulators office gets another request for a rate hike.

Kind of like the road builders up here. Do a half assed job, fails in a few years, new contract let for rebuilding. Rinse, repeat.

Job security I call it. Do a half asset job so you can do it over and get paid again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just use a fireplace.

View Quote

I have a gas fireplace, to put in a wood stove in its place would cost a small fortune.  12ft double sided stone gas fireplace.  I do have a small generator I can hook to the furnace if needed.  Burned wood as a kid, I would like a wood stove for back up and a little extra heat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm lost here...

I cool my place to a balmy 68 in summer and my bill never goes over 80 bucks, (1600 square foot, one level with unfinished basement, 2002 construction), and in winter my heating bill wont top 300, and 100 in oil(my "DANM COLD" heat). A properly sized heat pump is a  wallet saver. i have my power bill on 140 a month and simply don't pay extra in winter and pay extra in summer. if my balance goes above 500 I skip a payment.

How are people spending 700 a month to heat and cool?? that is nearly my house payment.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm lost here...

I cool my place to a balmy 68 in summer and my bill never goes over 80 bucks, (1600 square foot, one level with unfinished basement, 2002 construction), and in winter my heating bill wont top 300, and 100 in oil(my "DANM COLD" heat). A properly sized heat pump is a  wallet saver. i have my power bill on 140 a month and simply don't pay extra in winter and pay extra in summer. if my balance goes above 500 I skip a payment.

How are people spending 700 a month to heat and cool?? that is nearly my house payment.

View Quote
Big houses in Texas have those power bills commonly.

My brother told me he spends about $600/mo in the summer on his sub 2k sq ft house. Poor insulation, inefficient A/C unit, ~.18/kwh and keeping it at 68 gets it there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#19]
lol, first of all our summers here are shorter. June, July, & August are nice. Sometimes. Outside of that, it's usually very cool or cold. Secondly, the earth isn't any warmer. We've just moved all the official thermometers to airport parking lots. Sure they crank the cost of electricity is up but it's not the weathers fault.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Our house is 4,500 sq ft with two AC units that split the house. House is ALL electric.

We're not even close to $720/month in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just use a fireplace.

View Quote
It's a pretty steady 55 to 60 underground.
We could all live in hobbit holes built into the earth. Now, try and make it not humid in our hobbit holes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
You'll own nothing, and be happy.

It's not a so much of a wishful fantasy and more of a command.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#24]
First, Scientific American has been garbage for at least a couple of decades.
Second, one problem is that the EPA and the Left keep banning coolants to save the planet and replace them with less efficient, more expensive ones.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#25]
It's been a good year so far regarding the heat. Reminds me of 2019, cooler, lots more rain. Last year and the year before that sucked ass though. It hit 118 here last year. But I think its a part of a cycle, and not a single data point that should be used by leftists to justify increasing the expense of a basic utility for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I was going to say. Highes of $720 in the southwest seems like BS, but national average? Bullshit.

I haven't turned my AC on yet. We use our evaporative coolers until monsoon hits and it can't keep up with the humidity.

If people are spending $720 for electric for AC they can afford a $600 evaporative cooler then benefit from cutting usage in half.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#27]
This is the closest, rainiest start to summer that I ever remember.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bullshit.  Absolute psyop, gaslighting bullshit.

What makes your electric bills too high isn't global warming.  It's politicians purposefully destroying the dollar, using the power of the federal government to shut down cheap power plants, and forcing a move to unreliable, expensive energy.

You have to be an absolute fool to believe that.  High prices and shortages are being driven onto the American people, and the poor will pay first.

Between clean natural gas and nuclear alone, we could produce more power than we need for 30% cheaper than our current prices if the government got out of the way.

This is an agenda-driven, garbage article.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
2680 sq ft home in South Ga built in 78'. Insulated reasonably, but not up to the higher end of today's standards. Still using many older appliances. Power bills last few summers easily $500-$700.

People who aren't rich simply cannot afford to re-insulate entire homes, and buy the latest heat pumps and all new appliances.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top