Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the original on dvd, but never got a chance to watch it. I should buy it again.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Female samurai?

It's been a minute since I saw the last one but I don't remember that.
View Quote

Probably a few black ones in there too
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Chinatown....where he fights Jackie Chan...  in a noodle shop...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it be set in Harlem instead of Japan?

Sho'nuff The Shogun of Harlem Movie Theater Entrance The Last Dragon

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]

I hope it's a lot better than the original, because the original was mediocre at best. Richard Chamberlain, while a fine actor, was hopelessly miscast. Blackthorne was a man of the sea, who spent his life on the water and could build ships with his hands.. He should be tough, weatherbeaten with big working hands. Living on an island in the Atlantic, I know men who have spent their lives on the water, and their appearance is about as far from Chamberlain as you can get. Chamberlain is just a Hollywood pretty boy. I'm not saying that because he's gay, it's just he doesn't fit the role.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it be set in Harlem instead of Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlg7S-qVeHw

Who the Hell interrupted my kung fu ?

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
That trailer seemed really female focused. I read the book, I know there are major female characters. However, that trailer… I dunno. Color me distrustful.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll give it a watch.

What I'd really like is a high production value Tai-Pan.
View Quote
The four broken coins!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am by no means an expert on the book, but I have read it well over 20 times.

7 times back to back because I was in a desert for months and had no other book…

The part where she moved toward the samurai was after her guards were killed and she was the last one left.  She picked up a sword so she could be killed rather than taken prisoner.

She then said she could not live with the shame and attempted seppuko.

After she didn’t complete the act they secured her and others in a wing of the castle, and that night the ninja came.

By no means was she good with a sword, but she tried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For fuck’s sake, Mariko-sama is the 2nd “largest” character in the book.

On top of that, there is a ninja scene in the book. There are scenes in the book where Mariko and hangers on are caught in the castle and fight their enemy. At one point, she stalks toward opposing samurai who are ready to kill her and her entourage. Hell, before that, her entire entourage ritually challenges their opponents in single combat until they’re all (or almost all) dead).

At first glance, it certainly looks like it’s true to the book from what little I saw.

I am by no means an expert on the book, but I have read it well over 20 times.

7 times back to back because I was in a desert for months and had no other book…

The part where she moved toward the samurai was after her guards were killed and she was the last one left.  She picked up a sword so she could be killed rather than taken prisoner.

She then said she could not live with the shame and attempted seppuko.

After she didn’t complete the act they secured her and others in a wing of the castle, and that night the ninja came.

By no means was she good with a sword, but she tried.

I think that’s pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So there seems to be a bad ass sword master female who at one point faces off 5 plus soldiers alone.

I don’t remember that from the one I watched before.  Don’t recognise the lead guy actually as he’s only in the trailer a few seconds he might be 4th lead in his own show
View Quote

@Pesty The previous movie isn’t the authority here, the book is.

Mariko-Sama is not a swordsmaster. She doesn’t pick up the sword because she thinks she can defeat the samurai she’s facing, she picks it up because SHE WANTS TO DIE HONORABLY IN BATTLE. She understands (better than almost any other character in the book) her feudal Lord’s motivations. She felt that her death while under the “protection” of her master’s enemies would have helped her master immensely if it occurred in the correct circumstances. Her master was always searching for exactly the correct circumstances in which to use Mariko. He was forbidding her (at that point) from committing seppuku so to Mariko an honorable death in battle was just as good (even better, really).

OTOH, her death wish was selfish because her parents were viewed as traitors (IIRC) and her Japanese husband was a brutish, murderous rapist and at this point, IIRC her and Blackstone were in love and in a physical relationship (Mariko’s death in battle vs enemy Samurai would literally bury ALL of that shame).

Read the book (or listen to it). It’s awesome, even if it gets things wrong from a historical standpoint. Hell, you being a Brit, oughta enjoy it as the main character is an English Pilot who is awarded (maybe he recovers after a battle?) a Portuguese rutter (logbook) and is the 1st Western pilot (loosely based on William Adams ) into those waters (other than the Portuguese).
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ujio from the Last Samurai. He was a great character in that.
View Quote

He and that blabbering "Bob" were my two favorites. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise folms, but that one was awesome.

Blabbering Bob:

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another un-needed remake
View Quote

This is 'Murica. Need ain't got nothing to do with anything.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mariko-Sama is not a swordsmaster. She doesn’t pick up the sword because she thinks she can defeat the samurai she’s facing, she picks it up because SHE WANTS TO DIE HONORABLY IN BATTLE. She understands (better than almost any other character in the book) her feudal Lord’s motivations. She felt that her death while under the “protection” of her master’s enemies would have helped her master immensely if it occurred in the correct circumstances. Her master was always searching for exactly the correct circumstances in which to use Mariko. He was forbidding her (at that point) from committing seppuku so to Mariko an honorable death in battle was just as good (even better, really).

OTOH, her death wish was selfish because her parents were viewed as traitors (IIRC) and her Japanese husband was a brutish, murderous rapist and at this point, IIRC her and Blackstone were in love and in a physical relationship (Mariko’s death in battle vs enemy Samurai would literally bury ALL of that shame).

Read the book (or listen to it). It’s awesome, even if it gets things wrong from a historical standpoint. Hell, you being a Brit, oughta enjoy it as the main character is an English Pilot who is awarded (maybe he recovers after a battle?) a Portuguese rutter (logbook) and is the 1st Western pilot (loosely based on William Adams ) into those waters (other than the Portuguese).
View Quote

Very good review!
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mariko-Sama is not a swordsmaster. She doesn’t pick up the sword because she thinks she can defeat the samurai she’s facing, she picks it up because SHE WANTS TO DIE HONORABLY IN BATTLE.
View Quote

Clavell  also writes that "she would have killed a lesser man." So Mariko-sama must have trained to some small degree. And I just ordered a shiny new copy of the book because this stinkin' site costs me money EVERY DAMN WEEK.

Excellent review, sir.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Word to my middle school history teachers who wheeled out the TV/VCR combo cart and threw the original series on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Read the book last summer.  Cranked through it because it was so good.  Just starting Whirlwind to finish out the series.  All of them have been excellent.  

Really need to watch the original miniseries in its entirety.  I have no faith in the entertainment industry anymore to put out something good.  

Good call by the poster who suggested Tai-Pan.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks pretty good.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top