User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 45
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m not saying 5.56 is ineffective.

5.56 is definitely deadly, but 12 gauge will do more damage in a single shot at close range.
View Quote
Oh boy, NOW you've gone and pizzed off the "AR - True Believers"...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you even know what reading comprehension is?  There's two factors I mentioned.  First, the nature of their complaint, which you DO respond to, indicates wounding rather than killing efficacy.  The second, more important point, which you ignore or simply don't understand, is that they objected to our entry into the war, and were trying to make a political move in an effort to characterize us as savage, uncivilized, back-woods types.  Factual basis and their own activities were unimportant to that PR and political move, and they just used the entry of a different category of weapon as their chosen tool in this case.
View Quote
Again more bullshit. made up by chimps running out of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
But yea, I'm sure they were TERRIFIED of shotguns.
View Quote
Ahem......

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-awesome-trench-gun-terrified-germans-in-both-world-wars
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

5.56 is definitely deadly, but 12 gauge will do more damage in a single shot at close range.
View Quote
If I were limited to single-shot weapons, I would absolutely choose the 12 gauge over the 5.56 for home defense.

But, it isn’t 1850, so....
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is it still 1918?

What is the date?.......... THE YEAR!?!
View Quote
Rusted Ace on a few too many colas & peeps...

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why are people so mad that a 12 gauge slug is more powerful than a 5.56 round?

Obviously a shotgun has limitations, but inside 25 yards, a non CNS hit with a 12 gauge slug will kill a home intruder faster than the same hit with a 5.56.

A 12 gauge slug has more than twice the energy.

Even buckshot has about 50% more energy

It will disrupt more tissue and cause more bleeding.
View Quote
Even .45 can remove meat from bone bro.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, you missed the point that each firearm has a area in which it is best.

Carry during the day, a pistol

As to your "reply"  Oh my, You seem so touchy touchy touchy....

Well seems like you think anyone who doesn't use an AR for any and all defense is going to die a gruesome death...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on your false dichotomies and poor guesswork, I'd say you'd be fucked either way.

Might want to train more.
Well, you missed the point that each firearm has a area in which it is best.

Carry during the day, a pistol

As to your "reply"  Oh my, You seem so touchy touchy touchy....

Well seems like you think anyone who doesn't use an AR for any and all defense is going to die a gruesome death...
Sure each has it's area in which it's best, so what? If you don't train for those, and to use them capably in areas they're NOT in their "best" so what?

You keep using faulty logic to prove circular reasoning and analogies that have little to do with the topic, all while ignoring people with training and real life experience. I didn't miss your point, they're just shitty points for an argument you're making poorly.

I mean, it's funny as fuck, so don't stop.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, because Salmon oil energy pellets.
View Quote
It’s called caviar!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/64051152.jpg
View Quote
Note that Reese immediately obtained a shotgun after that encounter.

Tac-Com knows what’s up.

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice, I should get another one, never thought of a folder on a shotgun.
View Quote
Having a solid stock to aim with makes a huge difference in hitting things.
It was my truck gun for a while and fit well behind the seat.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Google 12 gauge buckshot wounds.  let us know...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google 5.56 wounds, let us know?
Looks like getting hit by slow moving spheres, or a handful of .380. No surprise there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The overwhelming majority of gun owners, even shotgunners, don't do any meaningful practice. Most of you won't hit your target no matter what weapon you have, be it a pistol, shotgun, or AR.
View Quote
I think you got this down!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ve seen naturally occurring holes in females you can push a beer can through. Vagina for HD=confirmed!
View Quote
I've never had one that tight!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks like getting hit by slow moving spheres, or a handful of .380. No surprise there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
google 5.56 wounds, let us know?
I’ve used this one before:

If somebody made a 32ACP carbine with a 72-round magazine that only fired in 9-round bursts....
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You with your bullshit knowledge-
What do you want in war? When the Germans seen the shotguns come in the trenches they got blasted to fuck. They flat out worked.

It had to do with wounding and maiming to a point and was labeled as to effective because with one pull of the trigger there could be 3-4 people wounded.
Nothing to do with any political bullshit statement, and only made up from people like you.

The more the trenchers shot the more they wounded. Again what do you want in war? ????? Eh think a bit now.

Plus the dead and mutilated fuckin Kraut who had the shotguns bead on his chest. Hour long segment on the Military channel about the Winchester 12 gauge trench gun watch it and learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But not on account of the lethality of the shotgun.  Their rather spurious complaint, which was more a political statement about our entry into the war than about the shotgun itself, specified that they claimed the shotgun caused unnecessary suffering. In other words, it wounded people too much, rather than kill them outright.
You with your bullshit knowledge-
What do you want in war? When the Germans seen the shotguns come in the trenches they got blasted to fuck. They flat out worked.

It had to do with wounding and maiming to a point and was labeled as to effective because with one pull of the trigger there could be 3-4 people wounded.
Nothing to do with any political bullshit statement, and only made up from people like you.

The more the trenchers shot the more they wounded. Again what do you want in war? ????? Eh think a bit now.

Plus the dead and mutilated fuckin Kraut who had the shotguns bead on his chest. Hour long segment on the Military channel about the Winchester 12 gauge trench gun watch it and learn.
Shotguns: more effective than creeping barrage
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good for you, good for your family history, my grandfather also fought over there.  All of which has nothing to do with what's being and been discussed.
View Quote
HUH? You alright? Eat something maybe!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
12 gauge makes wounds you can push a beer can through.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for you, good for your family history, my grandfather also fought over there.  All of which has nothing to do with what's being and been discussed.
I think there’s some salmon oil and peanut butter around here somewhere...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Usually"?? Wtf is usually?!

If you're within 10 feet, and I put a single 5.56 one inch to the right of your heart, what happens?

If you're at the same distance and my POI is the exact same spot with a 12 ga 3" 00 load, what happens?

Which shot is more likely to put you down?

Now let's assume the rifle is an AR, and my shotgun isn't a 28" bbl break action SxS, and it's an actual modern semi auto, (higher than average) capacity built for home defense or aggression.

No one really doubts that a 5.56 to a vital won't do the job, but which one will cause more trauma to the heart, or will increase your chances of getting a CNS hit, will lead to more blood loss, and can project more holes faster?

Everyone here expects to put their 5.56 22 caliber bullet directly into the heart of a running, ducking, panicked target while they're potentially getting shot at, like they're shooting at their "tactical" target. It doesn't work that way.
You can plan all you want, but a good plan rarely survives aggressive contact.

A good shotgun increases your odds through pure and simple firepower.

And how the fuck is putting a light, a rail, and having a modern shotgun trying to turn it into a rifle?!
View Quote
That’s why I want the fitearm class with the shittiest capacity. Because it might work better
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But yea, I'm sure they were TERRIFIED of shotguns.
Ahem......

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-awesome-trench-gun-terrified-germans-in-both-world-wars
Such hard evidence! Many proofs!

Oh yea also, the whole german thing is just a showcase of how shotguns of the period sucked at killing people, their complaint was ""it is especially forbidden to employ arms, projections, or materials calculated to cause unnecessary suffering".

Probably why the Thompson sub machine gun was invented to replace the role the trench gun had.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I posted one on the last page from a range of about 3 yards. Not exactly "devastating" looking.

People like to post gory pictures of cranial, intraoral, or contact shotgun shots but that's completely irrelevant. Anyone whose brain stem is destroyed by a bullet is dead. The gore means nothing, and just means you're gonna have to recarpet. Intraoral and contact shots show tearing of the skin that looks brutal but is irrelevant in terms of self defense.

Besides, you're gonna have some 'splaining to do how the shotgun got inside of his mouth.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's how you win an argument.
View Quote
It’s how the Germans won WW1, after bombing Pearl Harbor.

Well, that and their commando raid to neutralize our salmon oil reserve tanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I've only read page 13 but I am going to assume this has turned into AR vs shotgun like all shotgun for HD threads do.

I pick the AR. I would still feel confident with a 12ga pump with 6 shells of buck and/or slugs as well. They're both good HD weapons. As is a .44 Magnum (other than the last 2 blowing out your ear drums)

Disadvantage to the last 2 for me is simply round count.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If 12 gauge is good, 8 gauge is better.
View Quote
I got some in my hunting shack.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
12 gauge makes wounds you can push a beer can through.
View Quote
I saw that once, I mean, it was by a 25mm round from an LAV. But it was a no shit Warner brothers round ass cartoon looking hole through a guy.

Didn't know 12 gauge was as powerful as a 25mm chain gun! Learn something new everyday!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]
2nd best HD weapon ever, can cannon loaded with a beercan full of salmon oil powered by blanks enhanced with nut coal powder.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Meh. At 10 feet or less, tomato, tomato. The pattern of the shotgun may make more wound channels, but most 5.56 choices are going to yaw and fragment or expand (depending on bullet type) in the first few inches, and the permanent cavitation will be close to that of a slug or tight 12 ga pattern.

As an added bonus, since 5.56 is moving nearly 3x the speed, you get all that stretch of inelastic organs like the heart or liver that is still going to incapacitate the dude.

Theres actually a section on this website check full of writings from an MD as well as independant ballisticians that explains all this. It goes back about 15 years, which is why no one shows up to these threads trying to seriously explain this to people who are just delving into it.
View Quote
5.56 is an excellent round, but you would have to be ignorant of physics to believe that it causes more damage than a 12 gauge slug.

12 gauge is 18.5mm

Slugs are about 400-500 grains

They move at 1400-1800 fps

You can pretend physics is not real but it is in fact I real.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It took too many krauts out with every trigger pull, dead or wounded does it matter in war?

Now you Nancy boys brought up war in the first place.

Then lets get back to across the room or down the hallway. OP and all. You think the wounding potential is greater or less so at 12 yds? How about 20yds?
How about 50yds, sure as hell you will be hit, you might even be dead and all your dumb ass friends might have xtra hole in their ass.
View Quote
Nancy boys?

lol

You're funny.  Ignorant, somehow proud of it, but funny.

lol

Sure thing, Suzie.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've only read page 13 but I am going to assume this has turned into AR vs shotgun like all shotgun for HD threads do.

I pick the AR. I would still feel confident with a 12ga pump with 6 shells of buck and/or slugs as well. They're both good HD weapons. As is a .44 Magnum (other than the last 2 blowing out your ear drums)

Disadvantage to the last 2 for me is simply round count.
View Quote
If by "this has turned into AR vs shotgun like all shotgun for HD threads do" you mean a flaming trainwreck, then you'd be correct...

Too Much fun Fun FUN!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Usually"?? Wtf is usually?!

If you're within 10 feet, and I put a single 5.56 one inch to the right of your heart, what happens?

You're probably gonna die quickly if the ammo fragments or expands. The wound left from 5.56 is bigger than the expanded bullet. I'm not sure if you understand this.

If you're at the same distance and my POI is the exact same spot with a 12 ga 3" 00 load, what happens?

Depends on how it spreads. You're at the mercy of Lady Luck. If you get 3 pellets on his heart, that's about the same DEVASTATING STOPPING POWER as 3 rounds of .32ACP FMJ, and we all know half a mag of .32 ACP FMJ is the peak of terminal performance.

Which shot is more likely to put you down?

The 5.56.

Now let's assume the rifle is an AR, and my shotgun isn't a 28" bbl break action SxS, and it's an actual modern semi auto, (higher than average) capacity built for home defense or aggression.

No one really doubts that a 5.56 to a vital won't do the job, but which one will cause more trauma to the heart, or will increase your chances of getting a CNS hit, will lead to more blood loss, and can project more holes faster?

Everyone here expects to put their 5.56 22 caliber bullet directly into the heart of a running, ducking, panicked target while they're potentially getting shot at, like they're shooting at their "tactical" target. It doesn't work that way.
You can plan all you want, but a good plan rarely survives aggressive contact.

See above.

A good shotgun increases your odds through pure and simple firepower.

And how the fuck is putting a light, a rail, and having a modern shotgun trying to turn it into a rifle?!

When someone buys a mag-fed, semi-auto shotgun, adds a light and optic, and fires single projectiles through it... they're poorly trying to replicate a battle rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The germans will protest it as being too woundy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2nd best HD weapon ever, can cannon loaded with a beercan full of salmon oil powered by blanks enhanced with nut coal powder.
The germans will protest it as being too woundy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
5.56 is an excellent round, but you would have to be ignorant of physics to believe that it causes more damage than a 12 gauge slug.

12 gauge is 18.5mm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. At 10 feet or less, tomato, tomato. The pattern of the shotgun may make more wound channels, but most 5.56 choices are going to yaw and fragment or expand (depending on bullet type) in the first few inches, and the permanent cavitation will be close to that of a slug or tight 12 ga pattern.

As an added bonus, since 5.56 is moving nearly 3x the speed, you get all that stretch of inelastic organs like the heart or liver that is still going to incapacitate the dude.

Theres actually a section on this website check full of writings from an MD as well as independant ballisticians that explains all this. It goes back about 15 years, which is why no one shows up to these threads trying to seriously explain this to people who are just delving into it.

12 gauge is 18.5mm

awkward.

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tac-Com knows what’s up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/64051152.jpg

Tac-Com knows what’s up.

Hey, it wasn't just Reese who went straight for the Shotgun,

Terminators in all four movies made straight for the Gauge!

Terminator I  

Terminator II

Terminator III  

Terminator Genysis

And even Pre-Tech Com Sgt. (the young Kyle Reese) had the good sense to go with a 12 gauge in Terminator Salvation  

Obviously, a Killer Cyborg from the Future created & programmed by the ulitmate intellegence knew what was up when it came to weaponry!  

Until I can get a Westinghouse Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range, I'll stick with the shotgun for now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I read that in Hulk Hogans voice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOUVE NEVER SEEN WHAT A BEAR DOES WHEN SHOT FLOPPING A DOVE WITH ENERGIES AND 9 PELLETS. SLATHER YOURSELF UP WITH SALMON PEANUTS AND GET INTO THAT TERRAIN BROTHER!
Randy Savage.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Good idea.  Words haven’t helped, maybe pictures will.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 gauge is 18.5mm

awkward.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21881&d=1511525332
I see buckshot, not a slug. Just saying...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O he’s right. Single shots are all that matter because shotgunners don’t miss or ever have multiple assailants
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In that case how did they justify prohibition of expanding ammunition?
View Quote
Because he doesn't know what he's talking about!
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Randy Savage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOUVE NEVER SEEN WHAT A BEAR DOES WHEN SHOT FLOPPING A DOVE WITH ENERGIES AND 9 PELLETS. SLATHER YOURSELF UP WITH SALMON PEANUTS AND GET INTO THAT TERRAIN BROTHER!
Randy Savage.
No, read it in Hulk...   Not Hulk Hogan...

just HULK!!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The real benefit to 12ga for HD is the ability to have different loads on hand for the given situation ie: rock salt, bean bag, slug, etc.

My "do-all" HD setup is

#1 - rock salt
#2 - Dragons breath
#3 - Glaser safety slug
#4 - #4 hevi shot
#5 - 00 buck
#6 - 00 buck
#7 - 1oz slug
#8 - Flechette
View Quote
Esp.#5 & 6.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd like to put these people in the middle of Kodiak island at night, right after break up, smeared in salmon oil and peanut butter, then offer them an AR with 9  mags of ammo of their choice, or a semi 12 with ammo of their choice.

When they pick the 12, I'd give them their AR and wish them luck. Especially since "stopping power" doesn't exist.
View Quote
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top