Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a single guy who makes a little less money than you per year AND I have cheaper rent, I do not consider myself nearly wealthy enough to buy a $100,000 car.

I’d maybe consider it at my salary if I had no rent or mortgage, but even then, ehhh.

I’d seriously look at a Model 3 long range over the $100k+ offerings for around $50k.
View Quote
I’m in that same mindset, for myself.  It was hard for me to folk over $30k for my barely used truck four years ago, turned out I loved it and man cried a little when I sold it before moving. I’m perfectly fine with a $2500 Honda Civic IDGF.  However, I’ve kept my wife in nice new or newer cars since we’ve being married. I want her in something nice, reliable, and fitting for a doctor that has worked as hard as she has. Her vehicle and my gun habit are the only “not as smart” money choices we make.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't make enough money to buy an optioned out S or X. At $175K/year and living in Hawaii, you're probably paying $50-60K in taxes, leaving $115K or so. You're paying $40,000 in rent and another $5000 in car payment. You'd be changing out that $5000/year for $24,000/year in Tesla payments.

AND you still have student loans. Unless your loans are gone, the word Tesla shouldn't be in your vocabulary. I get that gas in Hawaii is expensive, but everything else is too.

Pay off your loans, save $100K in something reasonably liquid, and then perhaps you might consider one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
No one cares what you drive. Unless you want to impress strangers or attract a few leg humpers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You won’t leave the Porsche dealer without a new car

We drove a new Macan S and I was giggling at how fast it was compared to my Rover.
View Quote
That’s what I want, really freaking bad. My brother bought his wife a Range Rover SVR, it’s amazing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
“Permanent career” LOL

I wonder how many people said that in 2007

If you’re paying off debt like that, you’d be stupid to buy some lavish car. Cars are one of the worst investments out there (not including collectibles)

Smarten up
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't make enough money to buy an optioned out S or X. At $175K/year and living in Hawaii, you're probably paying $50-60K in taxes, leaving $115K or so. You're paying $40,000 in rent and another $5000 in car payment. You'd be changing out that $5000/year for $24,000/year in Tesla payments.

AND you still have student loans. Unless your loans are gone, the word Tesla shouldn't be in your vocabulary. I get that gas in Hawaii is expensive, but everything else is too.

Pay off your loans, save $100K in something reasonably liquid, and then perhaps you might consider one.
View Quote
Quoted:
“Permanent career” LOL

If you’re paying off debt like that, you’d be stupid to buy some lavish car. Cars are one of the worst investments out there (not including collectibles)

Smarten up
View Quote
Again bruh’s, you’re not seeing the whole picture cause I’m not giving it to you. The student loans will be paid off this year regardless of if/what car we buy my wife.

This is a car buying thread not a financial thread.

I do appreciate the wisdom, I really do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Panamera is an absolutely amazing car - great handling, incredible interior, and Porsche all the way.  The 4S Model is probably the best deal in the line-up (but, will never be able to match a Tesla S for brute torque and acceleration).

But, the all-electric Porsche Taycan is coming out later this year or next year, which is loosely based on the Panamera - and is supposed to be a direct competitor for the Tesla Model S.  If you are willing to wait a bit, that might be a very interesting alternative.
View Quote
I’ll mos def swing by and see what’s up, it’s her choice I’m just trying to give her options.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe he said the $175k was after taxes.
View Quote
Ah, missed that. $175K post-tax is a bit better. Still, spending 2/3 of your annual income on a car seems optimistic.

I'm right around this income range, depending on the year. But my student loans are gone and my only outstanding debt is mortgage, and it's less per month than OP. I would be hesitant to finance a Tesla in that price right now. I do, however, have two kids in college, so that probably factors in there.

For the OP, if I was buying one, I'd get the model S. A partner of mine in clinic has one and loves it. He's on his second one.

Tesla does have used Model X's on it's website. You could get a low mileage 90D for 60% of what OP is talking about. There's no smell quite like the smell of a new car, but that's a pretty expensive sniff.

https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/mx?arrangeby=plh&zip=&range=0
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
good luck getting parts when they go out of business
View Quote
Oddly enough Fiskers still bring decent money used .
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have wasted plenty of money on cars in my life.  More than Tesla level crap.  At the time they gave me joy.  If I would have used that money wiser , It would have paid for a few rental houses with Filipino families living in them.  Do I regret buying them?  No.  Would I ever spend more than about $25K for a vehicle now even though I have more money than I did in the past?  No.

On a side note, I do find it a bit troubling when the ladies want an expensive car. That just doesn’t sit well with me.  The ladies are supposed to be smarter than that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck all this!  BUY TEH CAR!  Merica!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On a side note, I do find it a bit troubling when the ladies want an expensive car. That just doesn’t sit well with me.  The ladies are supposed to be smarter than that.
View Quote
The wife is very intelligent and frugal. It takes a lot of convincing on my part to get her to spend money.

She’s also an earth child, recycles, reuses and repurposes everything.  I can’t even use a plastic straw because of the fucking turtles.

The Tesla isn’t about the price as much as it is about the electric, zero emissions clean driving.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You take home $172,000 and think it's a good idea to get a car with a retail of $110,000...  That seems pretty nuts to me
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Op, I'd buy one as a novelty if I could afford it.

However, I wouldn't get rid of my gas-guzzling 5.7 V8 Tundra.

Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The wife is very intelligent and frugal. It takes a lot of convincing on my part to get her to spend money.

She’s also an earth child, recycles, reuses and repurposes everything.  I can’t even use a plastic straw because of the fucking turtles.

The Tesla isn’t about the price as much as it is about the electric, zero emissions clean driving.
View Quote
I got an electric Fiat for my daughter.  SDGE had a rebate such that they cut your electric rates if you had an electric car.....and the feds gave a rebate such that my lease payment was $189/month.  My electric bill dropped by $200/month as a result of the program.  It was essentially a FREE car for 3 years.  The icing on the cake was Fiat also gave me a credit for a free rental car for 7 days per year, so we could use it if we needed a car for longer trips, since the Fiat only has about a 100 mile range.  They didn’t give a shit where we redeemed the rental car so we used it when we were on vacations.

That is FRUGAL!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You take home $172,000 and think it's a good idea to get a car with a retail of $110,000...  That seems pretty nuts to me
View Quote
I see people everyday that make $50k a year and drive a $50k truck. Yet the world still turns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I had a larger combined income than that in HI and she drove a $1300 car, happily. It’s part of the reason we are retired now, and I’m 45.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you want her to buy a Porsche instead, tell her to look up how much the manufacture of electric cars (especially the batteries) actually harms the environment much more than normal cars.

Also, where does the electricity on the island come from?  If she is an environmentalist, she might not want to drive a coal-powered car.  

ETA:   I just looked it up.  Most of the grid (3/4) in Hawaii is powered by PETROLEUM power plants, and the rest is mostly coal.  So a Tesla in Hawaii is basically a petroleum powered car.
View Quote
I point shit like that out everyday. But we’re not here by choice, we like it and all but rather be in Texas or the south
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Chevy Bolt is a much better value.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#24]
A couple weeks ago, when it was in the mid 90s, i was driving into Ch*cago.   I passed a Tesla. It was moving  slowly, in the slow lane, with its windows up and the guy driving  was clearly sweaty as hell and pissed off.    Survey sez:  low battery.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even though I give electric cars shit, my wife and I are planning on moving to Kauai in about 10 years, and IF there are decent electric pick-up trucks on the market at that time (which I expect there will be), we fully intend to buy one - and then slap a bunch of solar panels on the roof of the house.
View Quote
The panels on our rental are my favorite thing about the house.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#26]
If that what your wife wants, and you want to make her happy, and it's within the budget, I see no reason why not to. It's your call.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How can you make so much money and be so dumb?
View Quote
Trust me i know plenty of doctors and couple of lawyers who are always broke and live off of temp borrowed money from friends and family. Its just priorities
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Trust me i know plenty of doctors and couple of lawyers who are always broke and live off of temp borrowed money from friends and family. Its just priorities
View Quote
Got an uncle that makes $30k a month that doesn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#29]
"My wife wants to make an impractical horrible financial decision, how can I encourage her?"

You guys don't make near enough money and have too much debt to in any reasonable sane way justify dropping 100k on a car just because. Especially in a high cost of living place like Hawaii. Go buy a Bolt if you want an EV.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
BUY IT!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No not normally, stuck on an island right now
View Quote
Oki or Guam? Sounds like your wife gets to call the shots. Col I'd bet, let her get the Tesla. Whichever she wants. Wait 3 or 4 years and get yourself a truck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#33]
With that budget I'd buy a Sierra Denali and invest the savings into hookers and cocaine, trending slightly heavier towards the cocaine
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Got an uncle that makes $30k a month that doesn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.
View Quote
I had a roommate in college whose Dad probably made $400k a year. He spent, at minimum $401k a year and passed his financial wisdom onto his son who was chronically late on rent and accepted my offer to take his 55" tv in exchange for his last month of rent after he had moved out 2 weeks prior. My phone call at noon on a Friday telling him I needed $700 cash or the reciept/warranty paperwork by 5pm the same day helped him along with that decision rather promptly

Anyways, that kind of shattered my perception that when I saw someone with nice shit that they must be way better off in the world than I am to thinking that they're likely fucking retarded and finance/lease everything and are one missed paycheck away from homelessness.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Completely ignoring the financial aspects I wouldn't buy a Tesla.

I don't care for the looks, they don't save the planet as much as your wife thinks, have QC/CS issues, and cost a ton to fix. No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought a model 3 full self drive long range and love it. You will never own a gas car again. The instant torque, almost zero  maintenance, designed to last over 350k, and full self drive with possible Tesla taxi is what sold me.

If you do end up doing it I got a referral code to get for free supercharging
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does not mesh well with her wanting a $100k+ car; the energy required to power the Tesla comes from somewhere else (the big island gets 80% of its power from burning petroleum products), and the materials used to make it aren't exactly enviro-friendly, either.

ETA: DK beat me like a rented mule, which would be a much more environmentally-friendly transportation alternative to a tesla.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#38]
The value seems to drop FAST on those.

I see you can get a 2017 model S with 20k miles for just under or at $50k.  That's a hell of a depreciation.

A 2018 with 20k miles for mid $50k.

A 2018 with 10k miles for mid to upper $50k.

There is no way I would spend TWICE what I needed to for a one  or two year newer car.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Again bruh’s, you’re not seeing the whole picture cause I’m not giving it to you. The student loans will be paid off this year regardless of if/what car we buy my wife.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
“Permanent career” LOL

Smarten up

Why did you include your overall financial situation if it has nothing to do with finances?

If you said, should I get a Tesla?  The replies would be different.  You didn’t though so you get replies based on your post.

“Should I get a Tesla?”

Yes, especially the p100d.  It’s badass and a true luxury car.  Make sure you can get the 60amp Wall charging station installed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a valid question.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As a single guy who makes a little less money than you per year AND I have cheaper rent, I do not consider myself nearly wealthy enough to buy a $100,000 car.

I’d maybe consider it at my salary if I had no rent or mortgage, but even then, ehhh.

I’d seriously look at a Model 3 long range over the $100k+ offerings for around $50k.
View Quote
^^^ This. Unless you NEED the utility of the X (in which case maybe wait next year for the Model Y?), the 3 seems to be the better option.

I came very close to ordering this past June, but decided to wait for now. Even got insurance quotes, and they would not have gone up much. I think it was from $900/yr to $1100. The savings in gas (and oil changes) would have covered that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#42]
My sister in law has one the S model iirc. She says her next car is going to be a Porsche.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#43]
110 K for something that will depreciate like a rock does not seem to smart to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#44]
You know they don't appreciate, right?

triple your combined income and then buy something else.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#45]
This year's income: est. $170,000.
Our mortgage: zero. House paid off 2 years ago.
Student Loans: what u talking about Willis? Why would...never mind.

So we are driving Toyotas. Picked up a '15 and '16 used.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Go for it OP the Dems will be here shortly to pay off your student loans.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not dumb, ignorant is a better word. He might figure it out, eventually.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Man, some of you guys in this thread are downers.

Sure, it's important to be financially responsible (and I am a HUGE advocate of that), but it's also important to be enjoy life while you are young enough to enjoy it - and not just live like a pauper, looking forward to the well-funded retirement you might never live to see.  A BALANCE in those things is important, IMO.

As the philosopher Philip J. Fry once famously said "It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

Case in point:  My wife and I save a lot, and have been for a long time.  Our financial planner/managers are confident we are very much on track for a very high level of income during retirement, and they are currently helping us figure out how we can manage to buy our retirement piece of land in Hawaii now, instead of waiting until we retire.  So we are doing everything right from a financial perspective.

BUT, we also drive the cars pictured below (which I talk/brag about incessantly ).  Part of the reason for that is that we also want to enjoy the present.  When we retire to Kauai, cars like that will be pointless (because of the small size of the island, low number of roads, etc.) and we will be old and useless.  So instead, we've decided to "splurge" on something fun like that, while we are still in our 50s and reasonably "young."

On the one hand, of course massive expenditures on something frivolous like that is incredibly "stupid" from a financial perspective, but on the other hand, it is actually IMPOSSIBLE to say whether or not it is a stupid decision.  If I had decided to put the $150K towards our mortgage, or into savings, or towards the land in Hawaii (instead of buying the 911) then that would be an incredibly smart decision - IF I live to retirement age.  On the other hand, if I die (or cancer, heart attack, comet hitting our house, whatever), the day before I retire, then it would have been an incredibly stupid decision to delay gratification to a time when it never actually occurs.  So the decision has to be partly based on your realistic estimates of future longevity, health, mobility, balanced against the present enjoyment you would receive.  (On that topic, my wife and I always laugh when our financial manager talk about the models for our retirement, and how they are shooting for 90% chance of having it fully funded until we are 95 years old ... because nobody on either side of our families seems to ever make it out of the 70s )

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/clean2-934102.jpg
View Quote
This man gets me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This man gets me.
View Quote
Dude, lots of us get you.

I’m a firm believer in buying what you want if you can afford it. Life is short, and who cares what anyone else thinks about how spend your money?

But for me, while the Tesla’s are nice cars, I’m skeptical of the direction that Tesla is heading in and there are other awesome electric cars coming to market which is why my vote is to wait a bit.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top