Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a toro 42” zero turn last year. Takes much less time to mow compared to using my old rider.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 42 inch Craftsman for mine and it lasted 12 years for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I would just go buy a JD 130 to 180 and mow your 1/2 acre.  If you want a residential-grade ZTR, buy it instead.

If you end up starting a mower business down the road, only then invest two times more money in a commercial zero turn.

Right now, you don't 'need' a commercial grade ZTR mower for 1/2 acre or even an acre.  Unless you got money to burn.
View Quote

Pretty much. For 1/2 an acre I'd buy a Husqvarna or John Deere box store mower.

My previous mower was a Craftman built by AYP that I abused for 9 years. I sold it to my uncle for $200 with a bagger and it's still like new. The only thing that broke aside from normal wear items (spindles and belts) was the K46 transmission. The main gear had 5 or 6 teeth sheared off. I replaced the gear and it was good as new.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Find commercial WB with a sulky. FAST, great cut, and super agile. You'll spend very little time cutting, they're easy to work on, cheaper and more simple than a ZTR, and will last forever for your use.

It's what someone who shows up to your yard to cut it professionally would use because it wastes no time, does the best job for a yard that size, and requires the least hassle.

A lot of replies in here have zero experience with such a beast, clearly.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You must be old OP

Anything under an acre doesn't require a riding mower, let alone a zero turn.

I'm able to knock out 3/4 acre lot in about an hour.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd call around to some lawn maintenance businesses, see who is using zero turns, hire them for a cut or two and watch how it goes.
Then do the same for riding mowers.
Who knows, your yard might get torn up from the zeros.

If you have a few ice cold beers whilst mowing, time is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
A forrest gump snapper is a wonderment for small yards

I had a 1973 that was a hoot for my 1/2 acre lot

easy to maintain and store
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont waste your money on a zt. Grass doesnt grow under the trees. Weed eat the edges.

I mow 1.5 acres with trees, walkways, etc. I've had one of these over 10 years:

I've replaced mower deck blade bearings, and a couple of belts, new blades recently. I use 20-50 syn motorcycle oil instead of the John Deere kit stuff (noticibly quieter). I also took off the silly soledoid fuel valve off of the carb, which tends to stick (carb is above the tank, Kohler has a fuel pump).

This may jinx me, but I've had good luck with it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
DT oops
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1/2 acre? Regular riding mower will be just fine. No need to spend that much on a zero turn.
View Quote

This is GD.

I have a 1/2 acre lot.  I think it was $30 or $40K on sale a few years ago.  It takes me less than 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Rider should be fine for 1/2ac. If you have a ton of leaves, make sure whatever you get has a decent attachment for mulching, otherwise you'll be pulling around a sweeper. Some manufactures have not put as much thought into their mulching attachments as others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dont waste your money on a zt. Grass doesnt grow under the trees. Weed eat the edges.

I mow 1.5 acres with trees, walkways, etc. I've had one of these over 10 years:

https://www.tractordata.com/ltphotos/F000/70/70-td4-b02.jpg

I've replaced mower deck blade bearings, and a couple of belts, new blades recently. I use 20-50 syn motorcycle oil instead of the John Deere kit stuff (noticibly quieter). I also took off the silly soledoid fuel valve off of the carb, which tends to stick (carb is above the tank, Kohler has a fuel pump).

This may jinx me, but I've had good luck with it.
View Quote

Have a LA100 the cheapest of the JDs for 13 years.  Haven't changed a deck bearing yet, just pump in grease twice a year..  Do yours have grease zerks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a half acre and a push mower with power assist. I got it for like $80 one year when Home Depot was clearancing them.

I go get my dad’s 60”+ eXmark. I can drive 15 minutes to their place, load it up on the trailer, drive home, mow, and take it back in less time than it takes me to push mow.

If not for the fact that I have access to his, I’d get a cheap used riding mower. Lots of people seem to buy them and trash them or sell them on Facebook when they “break”. It’s almost always something simple like a carb needing rebuilt. For <$500 you can usually find a decent riding mower around. $200 in parts and a weekend wrenching on it and you’re good to go.

I’m looking for a 70s-era Ford riding mower right now. Those things last forever with reasonable maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, OP: Whatever rider has the smallest footprint when parked is important to me.  

A riding mower that could be quickly configured for storage through a 36" door would be the bomb.  I could park it in the basement instead of the garage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an older Snapper riding mower (Looks like Forrest Gump's) and Toro zero turn of some type and several self propelled push mowers.

In town my son will use the zero turn to mow our 1/2 acre-ish lot in about 15-20 mins.  He also uses the zero turn to mow other yards for hire...  If I mow our yard in town, I use the self propelled push mower.

I use the old Snapper and the push mowers to mow a 2+ acre lot we have on the water.  I find myself using the push mowers more and more because of the steep inclines and ditch along the frontage road.  It gets mowed once a week and takes a damn near all day with mandatory breaks...
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I was at the point physically that I needed to either hire the yard work or get a rider.  Decided on a JD rider and got a small battery powered walk behind for around trees.  Home Depot wanted $60. Just to deliver the mower so I ordered on line from the factory, same price as home Depot ,free delivery and was sent to the local dealer for prep.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a 54" Toro ZT with MyRide suspension that isolates the riding platform from the mower.  I have 6 acres and mow 3.5 of it.

For a half acre, I'd get an electric riding mower.  There are some cool options out there for not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL - GD will always try to talk you into buying a lot more than you really need. For anyone who actually read the OP, it would really be hard to justify anything more than the cheapest push mower you can find.
View Quote
Except the OP says he is tired of being a pusher.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#19]
How in the world does it take you half a work day, to take care of a 1/2 acre yard?

You don't need a fancy riding zero turn mower, you need shift yourself out of turtle gear.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Zero turn, never really got the hype until I got one.  And I borderline hate cutting grass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got a lot of trees.
Not sure if I want a Home Depot mower though, as I'm tired of junk.
Do the premo brands not make a smaller commercial grade mower?
I've also considered buying a good mower just in case I lose my job, that way I can at least try and get a little money by mowing lawns.
View Quote
Gravely or Bob Cat.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Mowing a half acre with a 21” self propelled should take an hour at worst, are you using a push reel mower?  

If you’re cheap and want to walk the Toro 30” residential mode would cut that to 40 mins.  32 inch FW15 if you’re bad with commercial walk behind.  36 inch Wright Stander or Gravely Compact Pro if You’re too lazy to stand.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Neither. Pay someone to do it an awful lot of times for what a new mower costs.
Edit, if you're in DFW I have a great condition low hours Husqvarna ztr for you.
View Quote

@lokt, I am interested in the event OP passes...
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#24]
1/2 acre? Hustler 72" Z diesel. 11mph mowing speed. You'll spend more time getting the mover out and ready than mowing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mowing a half acre with a 21” self propelled should take an hour at worst, are you using a push reel mower?  

If you’re cheap and want to walk the Toro 30” residential mode would cut that to 40 mins.  32 inch FW15 if you’re bad with commercial walk behind.  36 inch Wright Stander or Gravely Compact Pro if You’re too lazy to stand.
View Quote

$6200 for a half acre residential lot mower. Gmafb
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Unless you are old or crippled, just get a good push mower if all you have is a half acre.  
Don’t be fat and lazy
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#27]
If your only doing it 4x a season, it's easier/cheaper to farm it out vs buying a larger lawnmower.  If you want to get a larger mower/ZTM, make sure your yard is mulched/trimmed to make it easy to mow and not have to get the smaller one out or string trimmer.  Look on CL and FB marketplace for a good used ZTM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Randy Quaid lawn mower scene
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Man up and get a push mower or if your lazy one with self drive. The exercise will do you good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#30]
one of my sisters has a zero turn.      after messing with it for a few minutes, my next mower won't be a rider.   zero turn is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#31]
A zero turn for a 1/2 acre?

this place really is ridiculous sometimes
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The transmission isn't better. It's a K46 just like most box store mowers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op I have a JD x300.  Its the basic riding mower that only dealers sell.  Better engine, transmission,  and warranty.  I cut a little less than 1/2 acre and it is fine.  Plus, if I need to hook a yard trailer to it I can.  You arnt supposed to do that with zero turns.

The transmission isn't better. It's a K46 just like most box store mowers.

I think the JD 100 series is now mostly using the tl-200 which I think is lighter duty than the k46.

The 100 series used to be the k46 and the x300 series used the k58, but I believe they have both bumped down a level.

I could be wrong but that's what I remember from shopping a bit ago.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A zero turn for a 1/2 acre?

this place really is ridiculous sometimes
View Quote

I mow just over half an acre with a Gravely 52". A zero turn makes more sense the more you're turning; it's not really that complicated.....

Mower was $500.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I have about the same amount of area to mow, myself. Half is a power line easement/field that I have to cut for the power company. That easement alone takes me about 1 1/2 hrs to mow with my push mower. I was planning to buy a Ryobi battery powered Zero Turn riding mower, but, had extra expenses this year that cut that out till next year. They sell for about $4,000. My push mower is a GreenWorks battery powered push mower. It's light weight, but isn't self propelled. It uses 80v batteries and is just as powerful as a gas powered mower. I'll never go back to gas mowers. Maybe nxt year I will be able to afford the Ryobi battery powered Zero Turn riding mower. That field is unbearably hot to mow in the summer heat and humidity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

2 hours?  30 minutes is about as long as I can stand to be on a mower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have lots of obstacles to cut around, ya probably a zero turn.  1/2 acre, you don't need a 60" commercial mower.  Rule of thumb, it should only take about 2 hours to cut your lawn.

A 48" Husqvarna or Cub Cadet from a big box store should serve you well.  

Me, lots of trees, about 3 acres to mow. I use a Gravely ZT60 with 24hp Kawasaki engine.  Not quite commercial grade like a Skag but the Gravely is very well built for my use.

2 hours?  30 minutes is about as long as I can stand to be on a mower.

30 minutes??? It takes me about 1 hour to mow the front yard with my push mower and another 1 1/2 hours to mow the power line easement field beside my house. Then another hour to mow my back yard. I do break up the mowing into 2, sometimes 3 different days. Sometimes I skip the edging of the driveway and the sidewalks. Especially the long sidewalk that I have to mow in front of the house down to the middle of the easement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

30 minutes??? It takes me about 1 hour to mow the front yard with my push mower and another 1 1/2 hours to mow the power line easement field beside my house. Then another hour to mow my back yard. I do break up the mowing into 2, sometimes 3 different days. Sometimes I skip the edging of the driveway and the sidewalks. Especially the long sidewalk that I have to mow in front of the house down to the middle of the easement.
View Quote
My yard is a bit smaller than half an acre, It takes me 1.5 hours to both mow it and edge it, which includes cutting weed eater line from a spool.  I can't imagine taking several days to mow 1/2 an acre.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#38]
A push mower for that postage stamp size yard.  By the time you substract out the driveway, sidewalk, house, and all the other areas that don't get mowed for one reason or another you are wasting time and money using anything other than a push mower.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#39]
If you want to enjoy an adult beverage while mowing - do NOT get a zero turn.  If you try to mow with one hand, you will mow your wife's prize flowers.
BTDT!
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#40]
WTF GD? This place is really slipping. The most important point of a rider vs a zero-turn is...

You can drink a beer while riding, but it takes both hands to run a zero-turn.

Get the rider.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#41]
A coworker of mine has a ZT for his yard which is less than a half of an acre and raves about it all summer, but he is 80 years old.

And yes, I do have a part-time coworker who turned 80 in January.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do they even make them that small?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zero turn with smaller deck.  Maybe a 36” cut?  

Do they even make them that small?  

I think 42" is the smallest ZTR I recall seeing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
WTF GD? This place is really slipping. The most important point of a rider vs a zero-turn is...

You can drink a beer while riding, but it takes both hands to run a zero-turn.

Get the rider.

View Quote

Country Clipper makes a single joystick ZTR. A few others, too.

Riders suck at mowing...but they're good if you're going to multi-use it (plowing, towing a cart, etc).
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

@swingset
What's the dimension from where the mower deck attaches to [the drive unit?] to the forward most extent?  Is it less than 36"?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@swingset
What's the dimension from where the mower deck attaches to [the drive unit?] to the forward most extent?  Is it less than 36"?
View Quote

They can vary pretty wildly. Some WB's are short/compact, some (like a stander) are only the depth of the deck itself, so no more than 30-36" for the whole shebang as far as footprint. Have to look at it on a model by model basis. I just used a pic for example.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Op I have a JD x300.  Its the basic riding mower that only dealers sell.  Better engine, transmission,  and warranty.  I cut a little less than 1/2 acre and it is fine.  Plus, if I need to hook a yard trailer to it I can.  You arnt supposed to do that with zero turns.
View Quote

Engine yea, but the transmission is still the K46 that's in the E100 series they sell at lowes/home depot/ etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
If considering JD 100 series with K46 transmission... This may help you choose the right one (it is updated to 2020 models):

https://todaysmower.com/new-2018-john-deere-e100-series-lawn-tractor-right/
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#49]
For a half acre that you only mow a few times a year I'd buy a cheap garden tractor or something used off Craigslist.

Years ago when I lived in southern Colorado we bought a house on 1.5 acres. It's dry there so you only have to mow weeds and shit a handful of times a year. I bought a 42" cut Craftsman tractor off Craigslist for $450. Thing mowed awesome for the 3 years we were there, and long afterwards when we gave it to another family member.

Also, with a tractor it's easier to drink beer and mow. That's difficult with a ZT.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#50]
1/2 acre or more of grass is definitely rider or very wide push mower territory. 4 hours is too long. I like the tractor style over the zero turn mowers since they can do a little more than just cut grass, but the turn radius isn’t great.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top