BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3CbAxSp.jpg

If you don't use the NATO phonetic alphabet, you end up with confusing shit like this.
View Quote
lol exactly what I was going to say, but I didn't have that photo.

I heard this from a client the other day.   Z as in Xylophone.  I didn't have the heart to correct the idiot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Zulu Foxtrot Golf
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I may judge you for saying tree or niner
View Quote
what about whis-kay or kay-bec?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If he’s on the spectrum, oh well.

I some people on the spectrum that are military buffs.  They just get overdetailed in trying to ask questions about the most basic/stupid of stuff (belt hooks, etc)
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A better question is should non-HAMs be allowed to use Amateur phonetics?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Who cares?

Special snowflake syndrome.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
Actually that chart is incorrect. Everyone uses international phonetics now.

This thread is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot lima oscar lima
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
*autistic screeching in military phonetic alphabet*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think maybe you are both autistic
Romeo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I, too, used a bastardized variation. When I worked phone tech support, I would frequently get calls from people where English was not their first language. I had a call from Pakistan, and was phonetically spelling a word, with the other person repeating. Without thinking, I said "India." Long, awkward pause...
View Quote
At least you used Kilo instead of Kashmir
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Delta Alpha Foxtrot Uniform Quebec
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did I catch a "niner" in there? Were you calling from a walkie talkie?
View Quote
Literally LOL

Hadn't heard that in years
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You know I don't give a fuck!! Especially now brother. Look at my damn hair man!! Lol!! Then peep out that $45,000 dollar silver 2 door convertible Chrysler 200 S that is now my baby and then you might see why I am so stoked brother!! Combine that with my ambitions and you might have an idea as to what is in store for my ass in the very near future brother!! Pre-meditation my brother!! I have been patiently waiting on the chance to be able to offer any descent female whatever she wants since I own the most pimp car around this area by far and you know it!! That fucking car is so bad ass!! All that I need is a little bump in the trunk maybe baby!! Actually I don't need to change a damn thing yet do I? That car is so luxurious that it scares most people but my ass knows exactly what the hell I have and exactly how to use it to help me find my future wife!! I have been very patient as all of you can attest to. Now it's time for me to start pulling rank in the clubs with absolutely zero anxiety because I now own a $45,000 Chrysler 200 S with 18 inch black rims, a hard top convertible, top of the line audio equipment not to mention navigation equipment, and also first and foremost straight my own damn car without a co-signer!! I can't wait til its my time to bust on the scene after all of these years of patiently waiting on the fucking sidelines!! That car is going to be taken care of all the time by yours truly baby or else I wouldn't be a damn (last name) baby!! I know that my father would be proud of me for what I am doing!! It's all pre-meditation on my behalf!! I had to wait on a moment like this before I stepped back out on the scene and clean house!! I just need a good wing man and you know it!! Come on!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the OP identified the wrong autistic person in his story.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even the NATO phonetic alphabet? I am not talking about the civilian phonetic alphabet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
Even the NATO phonetic alphabet? I am not talking about the civilian phonetic alphabet.
Whiskey tango foxtrot
The international phonetic alphabet is used by amateur radio, air traffic control and has been adopted by NATO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a new girl in the office a while back, I've since changed employers, who said to a customer when clarifying a part number 'U for UTERUS'
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
OP

Sierra
Tango
Foxtrot
Uniform
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot!!!

EchoTangoAlpha:  DeltaAlphaMikeNovember!! BravoEchoAlphaTango!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Foxtrot Bravo Hotel Oscar

Foxtrot Hotel Romeo Charlie
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Meh I have a heavy southern accent and talk to people from all over the world, I use the NATO phonetic alphabet so that others can understand me when needed. I’ve never seen the civilian one you posted
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Brah, do you Ham?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a troll post right? Like, not just the mil uses that. I work in aviation,  guess what like the very first test for new hires is?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Golf echo tango
Alpha
Lima India foxtrot echo
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
O is not a number...it's zero

It bothers me when people say "o" instead of zero when referencing a phone number or something
View Quote
How about "o" instead of "i"?

If I have a need to say "immediately", I'm more likely to say "ommediately". That from only a couple years as a wireman doing radio operator stuff.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3CbAxSp.jpg

If you don’t use the NATO phonetic alphabet, you end up with confusing shit like this.
View Quote
I love this. Mwah
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Golf Foxtrot Yankee, OP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It’s only weird if he also says tree, fowr, fife, niner and gets pissed when people ask him to “repeat” himself.
View Quote
Dem avatar titties..  this is  wallker uhhh black falcon xray .  I digress if you are spelling out something like a serial number or key phonetic is required.

Telling India tech support they are coming in broken and retarded say again may be a bit much.

Just start finishing all discussions with over or roger that?

https://youtu.be/YIS8pU-TTuo
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nato standard, aviation, boating, law enforcement, fucking useless indian tech support even uses it.

It's pretty much the world standard when communicating in English.
View Quote
ITS- "What's the serial number of the device?"
Me - 657xbr7463sdkn3486
ITS- 657sdr746tfbkn3486?
Me -

That's why I use the phonetic alphabet every day.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Romeo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think maybe you are both autistic
Ummmm...you have no dog tags. You're not a military bro. Gonna have to nicely ask you to refrain from using the phonetic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
--..-- .... .- -  .- -... --- ..- -  -- --- .-. ... .  -.-. --- -.. . ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I can use anything I like.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Does this mean I can't watch the movie Zulu anymore?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Ida David George Adam Frank
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ida David George Adam Frank
View Quote
See the man
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#36]
They shouldn’t be allowed, they should be required...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lima Oscar Lima
View Quote
I’m envious of you, OP.  If this is the kind of shit I worried about, I can’t imagine how good (and simple)  life would be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Allowed!?

Fuck off.

The HAM community uses the same one, the NATO version.

The cops use that dumb civilianized version.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
M as in Mancy
View Quote
Ha. Best show ever!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
William, Tom, Frank sounds like 3/4 of a Barbershop Quartet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because its the correct thing to do?  Its a skill every man should have.  I hate it when people try to say things like: "B, as is Babushka" ,  "C, as is Clarinet", now THAT sounds annoying.  Just about everyone I know uses correct phonetic alphabet code; anything else is just plain ignorant.
View Quote
Fucking a right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, it was created by a civilian aviation organization, so there's that.
View Quote
So the question becomes, should we allow the military to use it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I didnt think there would be so much hostilities towards me.
View Quote
Well, considering you still seem to refuse to acknowledge the fact that what you think is "military phonetics" was actually developed by a civilian organization - and continues to be used by many civilian organizations the world over, every single day...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, this one: Waffle Toblerone Fiat
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Be glad he's not speaking what Tom Wolfe referred to as "Army Creole."
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stolen voweler.
View Quote
Winner
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#47]
How could I otherwise communicate with Indian tech support?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Who cares. The military doesn't have a trademark on a phonetic alphabet
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't use it in everyday conversation but if I'm on the phone and I say the address is "Verdun Dr. with a Victor" nobody seems to have a problem with it and the message is successfully communicated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
the "NATO Alphabet" is actually the  International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet, but more commonly known as the  ICAO phonetic alphabet
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top