BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Just noticed the CRKT woods chogan is Taiwan made, any quality issues ?
View Quote

I bought one for my brother (shipped right to him so I didn't get to handle it). He's happy. His shipped with the head off the handle, not sure if that's the norm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you guys see that Cold Steel has a new hawk?

The Demko Recon.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:19:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rigian] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:
Did you guys see that Cold Steel has a new hawk?

The Demko Recon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166803/6ADB2D24-ED86-48F6-A413-242267558893-1897047.jpg
View Quote

Very thin stock on that one. It’s marketed to the throwers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
With plastic handles like that? Seems like a thrower would at least have the tang extend beyond the handle, to prevent plastic/target impact.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavgunner] [#6]
So

For one field craft first hatchet ? Cold Steel?

The HB ones are beautiful btw.

Just came across this site.

Liking the Blackhawk for $40

https://www.crazycrow.com/site/
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cavgunner:
So

For one field craft first hatchet ? Cold Steel?

The HB ones are beautiful btw.

Just came across this site.

Liking the Blackhawk for $40

https://www.crazycrow.com/site/
View Quote

Liked the blackhawks.  I’m a fan of that extended guard down the front of the haft.

For a field craft first hatchet?  I wouldn’t go with a tomahawk.  Hawks are kinda men’s toys.  Buy an actual hatchet if you think that’s what you need.  In my area, an axe and loppers beat a hatchet.  Doesn’t stop me from owning a hatchet (Estwing)...but it’s rarely used.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtigers] [#8]
So—got the Demko/Cold Steel today. 5mm thick, so slightly thinner than the war and trench hawks, but this is full tang, where those others are not.

Right off the top: Made in China.

Unlike their other hawks, the main cutting edge on this is very sharp, and—unfortunately—hollow ground. While this gives a very sharp edge, it’s also a thin edge, and I suspect not up to any actual fieldwork other than zombie eradication.

Handles are plastic and fit the hand well, but there has been no “finishing” done on them.  The tang is slightly receded under the slabs, and a definite edge is felt which will create hot spots and blisters. Nothing a belt sander can’t fix.

Comes with a decent sheath, but the sheath has no provision for mounting to anything.  

I like it, but not what I would call heavy duty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
BTTT.

Finally got a handle affixed to mine, still waiting for the nephew to get over to the shop so we can finish his.  It took a file sharpening very well but using the butt to hammer nails doesn't mark at all, so I think I picked the right heat treat and temper.  Overall length is 14" and including the handle it weighs in at 1.4lbs so it is a nice balance for a utility tool.  It also throws well and wedges deep.  I have not yet tried scalping an enemy but we'll see how the summer goes.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
BTTT.

Finally got a handle affixed to mine, still waiting for the nephew to get over to the shop so we can finish his.  It took a file sharpening very well but using the butt to hammer nails doesn't mark at all, so I think I picked the right heat treat and temper.  Overall length is 14" and including the handle it weighs in at 1.4lbs so it is a nice balance for a utility tool.  It also throws well and wedges deep.  I have not yet tried scalping an enemy but we'll see how the summer goes.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t3zaXLuMDpI/YIXM0YhSUmI/AAAAAAAAKJI/GFHVHg0h95Aw42JqpzrBlCUbhfungm7KQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1619381455856726-1.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-clOZBgXEz7s/YIXMzzdTisI/AAAAAAAAKJE/mNvN8ANQh-Y7jr47rqlgRz2pf2Ce0QLhgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1619381453019586-2.png
View Quote

Nothing short of a work of art!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Goes with me everywhere inside my first aid bag/buyout bag.

One of my brothers is getting me some 1/4inch walnut for making new scales, and cutting/burning those will be yet one more project for this summer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://i.imgur.com/FmbevSf.jpg
Goes with me everywhere inside my first aid bag/buyout bag.

One of my brothers is getting me some 1/4inch walnut for making new scales, and cutting/burning those will be yet one more project for this summer.
View Quote

Might I recommend not having the new scales go as high. They may hinder splitting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Copper axe didn’t save Otzi.

He looks startled because some prehistoric gang banger’s about to put an arrow into him.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bcw107:

Now I can't find the other one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bcw107:
Originally Posted By Aimless:
How did I miss this (or forget I posted in it)

Now I can't find the other one.

You don't mean the stickied one, do you?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcw107] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:16:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtigers] [#18]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:
So—got the Demko/Cold Steel today. 5mm thick, so slightly thinner than the war and trench hawks, but this is full tang, where those others are not.

Right off the top: Made in China.

Unlike their other hawks, the main cutting edge on this is very sharp, and—unfortunately—hollow ground. While this gives a very sharp edge, it’s also a thin edge, and I suspect not up to any actual fieldwork other than zombie eradication.

Handles are plastic and fit the hand well, but there has been no “finishing” done on them.  The tang is slightly receded under the slabs, and a definite edge is felt which will create hot spots and blisters. Nothing a belt sander can’t fix.

Comes with a decent sheath, but the sheath has no provision for mounting to anything.  

I like it, but not what I would call heavy duty.
View Quote

Okay.  Upon using this a bit and handling it more, I guess I wouldn't recommend it.  There is something about the handle that is just...not right.  Too thin, too small maybe.  It's narrow in the middle and widens out towards the end, but the grip is...odd.  Almost uncomfortable, but that's not it either.  It doesn't give nearly the feeling of "I got this!" that Cold Steel's other tomahawks have.  It doesn't give a feeling of "grip"--I'm not explaining this well.

I don't have this issue with any of their wood-handled tomahawks or their plastic-handled trench and war hawk.  It's specifically this one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
H B Forge
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Noice!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grimes] [#21]
Attachment Attached File

Late to the party here but this is a Walter Brend hawk from around 2006 with micarta scales by Jason Gingrich.

Edit:Justin (not Jason) Gingrich.  My apologies to the Ranger.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 2:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#22]
bump

dont let this thread die!

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Work in progress-Cold Steel Trail Hawk.  I cleaned up the steel a little and sanded so I could get the head on more securely.  No stain, just multiple light coats of boiled linseed oil, waiting about 24 hours between applications.  I’ve lost count of coats but it’s at least 7 and I’ll probably do a few more.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]

First coat of stain went on a couple minutes ago. It’ll need several coats to get to the color I want.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RickFinsta] [#25]
Well this looks like I'm making a run of some...  I don't want anyone else to have the exact same design as my nephew and I have so I'll just remove or add a repetition to the pattern.

I also don't want to run afoul the CoC to I'll have to figure out how to market/sell them to anyone interested.   I also need to make up a kydex QD sheath or something but I really am hurting for the time to do this stuff.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#26]
bump
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm redoing this thing with a Lansky stone. Sloooww going but better already. I felt a bit odd standing on the front porch while taking the dog out, grinding away while my neighbors pass by.
I really like the 14" handle, I cut another one to 12" and it seems too short for any kind of swinging, even little craft chops.
I also quit worrying about nicer sheaths and just bought the CS ones. They work fine, some are tighter than others. I still have the screw in this one but the head is very tight. I need a file for the other ones I've taken off as the heads are scraping the handles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#28]
*bump*
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#29]
Middle is full A.T. Nyhof design. Other two I sent him for work. These are really sharp.

[Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the Ashli Babbitt memorial hawks done for me and my buddies.  Not going to sell any of those out of respect for her and the family but might try to reach out to see if they want to auction one or something.  I know they have a bunch of legal fights right now but don't want to be disrespectful at all.  I also did a short run of the ISO Grid hawks that I changed slightly so my nephew and I will still have the only originals out there.  Working on getting a better source for handles.  Off to heat treat next week.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#31]
How in the AF have I missed this thread??
Here’s a real pretty Karesuando:

And a before and after of a CRKT Chogan my sons and I have been working on:

This one has been a blast. Still working on getting an edge on the butter knife, and the handle needs to be sealed one more time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Nice. I've carried this one a couple of times around the house.
https://files.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/barkriver/images/BAR08212MNCna.jpg
It's a big-ass knife. 10.5" blade.
View Quote

I’ve currently got a SMB on order with DLT. Looking at mid October
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Thrown_hammer:
5 pages in and now I am binge watching Vikings...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
What tomahawk would go well with this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By centurian318:
What tomahawk would go well with this?https://agrussell.com/files/products/large/cs-334.jpg
View Quote

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Got the Ashli Babbitt memorial hawks done for me and my buddies.  Not going to sell any of those out of respect for her and the family but might try to reach out to see if they want to auction one or something.  I know they have a bunch of legal fights right now but don't want to be disrespectful at all.  I also did a short run of the ISO Grid hawks that I changed slightly so my nephew and I will still have the only originals out there.  Working on getting a better source for handles.  Off to heat treat next week.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nRKONr1rKVY/YRAYfTkil0I/AAAAAAAAKQI/3uWijzUD968TgZtXfWIH1McO5_yvLyd3wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1628444796334115-1.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-osDWg_yQ92c/YRAYgcTTPnI/AAAAAAAAKQM/M6y6mVjMjPMCTmJ8gc9WVrSart5eMx6XwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1628444800019243-0.png
View Quote

Came out really well!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HKD126:

Came out really well!
View Quote

Thanks, brother.

Here is a question for the hive mind; is osage orange or curly ash better for handles?  The supplier I found doesn't have hickory in the size I want.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmmm. Either would be gorgeous. Pretty sure the Ash is going to be a little softer than Hickory, and the Osage quite a bit harder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#39]
I went another way, ordered this today.

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#40]
-
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Willz:
-
View Quote

It helps if you give some details so we know what we are looking at.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#42]
Originally Posted By inGobwetrust:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By inGobwetrust:
Originally Posted By Willz:
-

I posted this guy because even after I subscribed to this thread and posted in it, it’s not in my subscription list.

As for the hatchet it’s a 1.7 # Woodcraft camp carver by Council Tool.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Hawk on the left (more of a belt axe) made early 90s by George Ainslie. Also had him make me a couple of custom cleaning worms form my flintlocks.

One on right: 90s era CS VN hawk.

The belt axe gets a fair amount of use. The VN hawk not so much
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Tomahawks!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Assuming I keep my job and the world doesn’t end, I’m going to buy several tomahawks to hang on my living room wall. Spyderco Warrior Hawk, either a Half Breed CRA 2 or LRA 1, Toor F13, and maybe a Winkler or Half Face. I’d really like to get my hands on a POF tomahawk too, if anyone has any leads.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Assuming I keep my job and the world doesn’t end, I’m going to buy several tomahawks to hang on my living room wall. Spyderco Warrior Hawk, either a Half Breed CRA 2 or LRA 1, Toor F13, and maybe a Winkler or Half Face. I’d really like to get my hands on a POF tomahawk too, if anyone has any leads.
View Quote

No RMJ love?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

No RMJ love?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

No RMJ love?

Not really a fan of his style. They all look like small hammers on really long handles to me.

What are everyone’s thoughts on a micarta handle for a hawk, with the blade secured in a notch at the top and violently screwed down? Think that would hold up to smacking someone in the head?

I’ve got a nice size length of tool steel that I want to make a hawk from, but it’s not of a size that I can cut out a full tang version. Was thinking some denim or paper micarta for the handle, but I worry about strength.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Not really a fan of his style. They all look like small hammers on really long handles to me.

What are everyone’s thoughts on a micarta handle for a hawk, with the blade secured in a notch at the top and violently screwed down? Think that would hold up to smacking someone in the head?

I’ve got a nice size length of tool steel that I want to make a hawk from, but it’s not of a size that I can cut out a full tang version. Was thinking some denim or paper micarta for the handle, but I worry about strength.
View Quote

Linen should hold up if you also epoxy it down during pinning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone purchased anything from HB Forge? Looking like a good step up from the typical CRKT, CS stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#50]
This has been a great thread. Let’s keep it updated .
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top