Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2021 8:52:28 PM EDT
So the wife and I went looking at new beds today. She's been wanting to look at the Sleep Number beds for a while so we did. We also went to another place and tried both the Tempur-Pedic and Stearns and Foster beds. These things aren't cheap, that's for sure. So almighty GD please tell me your experiences, what you bought and how well you like it and what you'd recommend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Mom loves her Stearns and Foster

Personally, I think all of the "name" brands are overpriced, and Sealy owns almost all of them.

Check out naturepedic, or happsy, or mygreenmattress too. Nowadays they almost all have full return policies with trials so there is 0 risk. When you buy mattresses not in showrooms you get higher quality materials for lower prices generally. But obviously the lack of name recognition.

However, I was looking for something 'natural' that contained wool, cotton and latex only. I ended up settling on a mygreenmattress and putting a wool topper on it. Love it.

Yes, they send you a mattress compressed in a box. It sounds funny but its how they do it now unless you're going to a mattress store of course.

themattressunderground forum has a lot of good info.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is Purple mattress... But like most you won't listen  and buy another bed and suffer a bit longer.

Eventually out of frustration you will purchase a Purple and understand why it't the best mattress ever.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The answer is Purple mattress... But like most you won't listen  and buy another bed and suffer a bit longer.

Eventually out of frustration you will purchase a Purple and understand why it't the best mattress ever.

View Quote

This. One word. Purple. Love my purple Mattress.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Haha. Don't ask for advice from GD.

A bunch of people that love to brag about their millions of dollars but are cheap asses when it comes to beds.

I've owned a bunch of different ones.

We bought a Sleep Number 3 years ago.

Best purchase ever. If GD wants to flame, don't care. I sleep perfect, and the wife does too. She prefers super soft, I prefer firm.

Bonus is the fact it adjusts so we can watch TV, read, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you buy the sleep number they have to do an install and you pay a charge for that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A bunch of people that love to brag about their millions of dollars but are cheap asses when it comes to beds.

Best purchase ever. If GD wants to flame, don't care. I sleep perfect, and the wife does too. She prefers super soft, I prefer firm.

View Quote

Same here.
Don’t make the same mistake we made and get a split top. Makes sheets very expensive and limited choices of who makes them. Get the full split or no split.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here.
Don’t make the same mistake we made and get a split top. Makes sheets very expensive and limited choices of who makes them. Get the full split or no split.
View Quote

Agree. We did at first and it was kinda wonky. Swapped it for a no split and are happy with it.

In laws just bought the full split. Still waiting on delivery. Theirs is the LE version. Ours is a p6.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
We had a sleep number and didn't like it. We now have a Temperpedic and it's great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Sleep number has been awesome. Tried the rest, they didn't cut it for us.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
OP no matter what bed you get look into BedJets as well.

We love ours. Heat and cool on demand!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Do yourself a favor and look at latex also OP.

We shopped them against Tempurpedic, and I found the latex much more preferable since they don’t tend to have the sinking into them feeling (which made me and the wife both feel a bit claustrophobic trying them in the showroom.)

Bonuses are the latex sleeps really cool and a good one will last longer than most if not all inner spring mattresses.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sister loves hers
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
He’s right...PURPLE is the answer you are looking for.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
We just bought a Tempur Pro Breeze Hybrid and love it.

Sterns would have been too hot and Purple felt too bouncy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Tempur is always the answer.  Everything else sucks compared to them.

Their adjustable frame is the icing on top!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the Cloud Tempur-Pedic mattresses with the cooling foam and all that shit, it was like 3k just for the mattress before the adjustable power base. It's a very nice bed, when I sleep in my son's bed (cheapy $300 innerspring mattress from Big Lots) after working nights I feel like I'm laying on a cobblestone street. I get hot very easily when I sleep and the Tempur-pedic we have let's me sleep comfortably. Could I have spent less and still been happy? Probably...
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I had no problem dumping Tempur Pedic money in 1999, like $5K.  Back then they were it, now the quality for the price is stupid. When we got ride of the Tempur after 20 years, we went to a Plank and could not be happier.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Purple

/thread
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
We bought the Pro Breeze Tempur-Pedic and love it.

We checked out the sleep number, but the wife and I had had the same preference so it really didn't offer us anything.

I'm pretty tight, but a good mattress is definitely worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love my Sleep Number.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My Tempur is about seven years old and is a POS. Too dang hot in the summer and started sagging in the middle after two years and they would not cover it under warranty.

Will never pay that money again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Had sleep number, wife liked it I hated it. Had Tempurpedic I liked it wife thought it was too hot. Ended up getting an Intellibed which we both really like, but it is $$$$.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I recently ditched my Sleep Number for a Brooklyn Bloom hybrid latex. I love it so far. Hated the SN. I'm a side sleeper BTW.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Im currently laying in a Purple with their sheets, pillows, and duvet. Absolutely incredible products. HIGHLY recommended
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got a Tempurpedic Pro firm for my new house.
It’s fucking amazing. Absolutely the best mattress I’ve ever felt
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a sleep number for over 25 years. Would not want anything different. Yes, you have to build the bed, but a six year old kid can do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Temper Pro Breeze here or whatever the hell one has a single snowflake on it. We tried a version down but it slept too hot. Very happy with it
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Just a question for those who may have been through it. I know the mattresses in a box are vacuum compressed and sent vacuum paced in a bag in a box. If you need to return it, how is that done? It would seem to be quite a job to get it packed back up for return shipping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my Sleep Number.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had both Tempur-pedic and Sleep number; but I won't be buying a Sleep Number ever again.
At anything less than 100% inflation you are basically sleeping in a hammock. The heaviest part of your  body deforms the air mattress downward while simultaneously pushing the lighter parts of your body upward. What the Sleep Number needs is 3 separate inflation zones: head, butt, and feet.

The Tempur-pedics are much better but they have their own idiosyncrasies. In some ways its like sleeping in a foam cut out designed to hold your body. You'll tend to wake up in the same position you went to sleep in. If you want to change positions you'll have to lift yourself out of the hole you've made and form a new one to fit your new position (there is no spring rebound assistance like you get from a spring mattress). The temperature of your room also plays a big factor in how soft  the foam is when you 1st get in bed; A 50F room will make for a hard mattress that deforms and only very slowly returns back into shape. If your house loses heat in the Winter it will be like sleeping on a brick until your body warms the mattress up. One really good thing the Tempur-pedics do is isolate any motion from being felt on the other side of the bed; you could drop a bowling ball on one side of the bed and not even notice it on the other.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife and I have had a sleep number, split king size bed for  5 of 6 years.  It is fantastic.  I have my side set for 75, she has hers on 35.  We can raise the heads to watch TV or read.   TKTM2001 must have bought an early model, or the  cheapest model sleep number. I have never had the issue he described.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just a question for those who may have been through it. I know the mattresses in a box are vacuum compressed and sent vacuum paced in a bag in a box. If you need to return it, how is that done? It would seem to be quite a job to get it packed back up for return shipping.
View Quote

A service comes and picks it up. I returned my Wink EcoCloud. Which was too bad, it was a fantastic mattress for about one month, then it started to sag in the center, then it got even firmer, then the springs started to creek. The day they were scheduled to pick it up, I just tossed it on the front porch, most will come in and get it if you want. They said they pick up a LOT of mattresses.

Some of the purely foam ones you have to squeeze back into a box, read their return policy. I cannot remember what brand it was, but someone returned a latex mattress, and they had to box it up, said it was a nightmare. Some will pick it up for free, some charge a fee, just read their return policy carefully.

FWIW: Open the vacuum sealed bag in the bedroom, right next to your bed. Get the thing ON the bed if you can. Those mattress' are heavy dead weight, no fun doing it alone or with a 100lb partner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a sleep number bed.  It was ok for a year or so. Then the foam started to break down. I grew to hate everything about  that fucking bed but, the ex liked it. At the 5 year mark, I had had enough and we bought a Simmons Beauty Rest and, it(Sleep number) became the guest bed.  Every house guest hated it.  I finally ended up giving it away.  As far as I’m concerned it was some of the worst money I ever spent. All of the foam inside collapsed or tore. The warranty gets pro rated after two years and they charge an arm and a leg for replacement pieces.
Kudos to the guys that like them.  I’ll never sleep on one again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Stearns and Foster is the west mattress we've owned. I'm 190 lbs and there was a permanent indentation in the mattress within 2 months. Rotating it monthly helps. We'll never buy another..

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Last Black Friday we replaced our Stearns and Foster with a Tempur-pedic ProBreeze mattress and power base. Raised head/foot, 'massage,' even has lights and USB ports.

The Stearns was great. Individually wrapped coils, kevlar stitching, etc... but we really do like the ProBreeze. I do feel like I sleep cooler, (I have a little more padding than when I was younger, lol) and it's very comfortable. The only small gripe I have is you do kind of sink into it, which makes it very comfortable and cozy, but makes you work a little harder when it's adult time...

And the power base? It's neat, but we don't use it near as much as we thought. If I was to do it again I might skip that and save the money. YMMV.

FYI, my oldest son just got rid of his Purple mattress, thought it wasn't comfortable at all. He's 6'3" 180lbs if that matters, I don't know if body shape influences comfort perception or if it's just truly subjective.

Have no idea about the sleep number stuff, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Temperpedic messed my neck and back up. Sleep number is better, but I still have issues.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Tempur

Love that matress...!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I looked at all of the brand names when we were shopping for adjustable beds about 7 months ago.  We actually chose Sven and Sons mattress and adjustable bed from Sleep Geeks on Amazon. Best choice I’ve ever made. Total cost was about $2,500 for a King size split bed while Sleep # and others were 3x that cost.  I paid $200 for white glove set up so I wouldn’t have to set it up and the service of Sleep Geeks was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate the purple bed price but we now have 3 of them

Best beds we have ever had
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Subbed for answers
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Wife and I have the sleep number split king. I like it that I can change the number for when my back hurts. The head and feet adjust. I sleep on my side and stomach so I don’t have it elevated unless I’m reading or watching TV. Ours also has a heated foot setting that I rarely use but the wife uses it frequently. It was pretty expensive but we bought it for mostly for my wife who has had multiple back surgeries. But now she mostly keeps it flat too.

I don’t know if I would spend that much money on one again because I don’t use the a lot of the features but I can’t say that I don’t like it. I get good sleep so overall I guess it’s worth it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#42]
When I got a new mattress I looked at a bunch a reviews. I came across https://sleepopolis.com/ which has tons of YouTube videos reviewing different mattresses and comparisons.
It rates mattresses by all sorts of metrics such as how you sleep. So if you are a side sleeper which one is best for that. They even mention things like which ones are best for adult activities.  We went with the Leesa one it has a proprietary material on the top layer that does not sleep as warm as other similar mattresses and it was the right firmness. We bought it online and there is a 100 day sleep trial and if you do not like it they will have someone come and pick it up and they than donate them to a local are women's shelter or homeless shelter. That is what a bunch of these companies now do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a king sized tempurpedic. I like it, but I'll try a purple mattress when I replace it because my bed was really expensive. I want to say 9k or something ridiculous. I won't go back to a spring bed unless I have no choice though. I don't wake up in the morning feeling like a damn cripple anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I have an Englander bed.

It’s quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I had a high end Tempurpedic for a decade.  Excellent mattress.  I bought a 14” Lucid, for 1/6th the price and it’s just as good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I hope the owners of sterns and foster eat a bag of scabbed dicks daily for the rest of their miserable lives.

Suckered into buying one once, its no better than any other spring mattress, it gets indentations where you lay like the others, and the pillow top built into it means that when they come to check for a warranty due to the indentations, they lay a ruler across the top and go "nope, it touches, no warranty here."

I could have, and should have bought a normal mattress every other year for a few years for the price of that sack of shit, and been better off.

I may have strong feelings on the matter, its possible other peoples' experiences are different, I couldn't be paid to sleep on another one of theirs' again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for all the replies so far, anybody else?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a split king adjustable TempurPedic over 10 years ago due to horrible back pain. If my house were to ever burn down, the first thing I'd do with the insurance check is buy a new TempurPedic and a tent and let them rebuild the house around me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I will add a few additional insights:

While the tempur-pedic is much better for a bad back than the Sleep Number (because of the Hammock effect), the Sleep Number is light weight and easy to move. Where as a king size Tempur-pedic is a heavy dead weight floppy monster to move.

The warranty on the Tempur-pedic is sort of useless because they measure failure based on how much height the foam has lost from level instead of measuring how much it compresses under load. The foam on a worn out Tempur-pedic will readily spring back to level no matter how worn out the foam becomes.

In sort of the same regard, your actual "sleep number" does not mean the same thing from day to day or from loaded to unloaded. For example, pumping up your Sleep number bed to 100 while you are actively laying on the bed is a softer bed than inflating it to 100 when no one is on the bed. Another example: if you set your bed to 75 on low pressure / hot day, and the next morning it is a high pressure/ cool day your sleep remote will still read 75 even though your bed is now a lot softer. If at that point you try and change your sleep number to stiffen up the bed, the remote will suddenly show a much lower sleep number setting as it takes a reading of the mattresses' current condition.

The trick to buying a temper-pedic is to buy one that is slightly stiffer than you are comfortable with and then put a goose down mattress pad on top of it.

The trick I've had to do to make my Sleep Number bed livable is to set it at 100 and place ~6inches of memory foam on top of it.  (avoid the Sleep number beds with built in memory foam). Also, if you do get a sleep number bed make sure you plug it into a good surge suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Bought a Wink bed. The wife loved it. 1 week later we were gifted a top of the line Sleep Number with all the adjustments, dunno what. I was told it cost 8k. The wife loves it.

Me? As long as it ain't the cold ground, I am happy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top