Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 101
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#1]
Ordered most of the bolts and seals needed for the slantback install today. Also ordered the epoxy primer and Sherwin Williams CARC. Ordering the CARC paint was a big hassle. I do not know why Sherwin Williams makes it so difficult. At first it was going easy, I used the product codes off of Ryan's sheet that he posted, but that's when it I started getting the run around. In the end, they are shipping it to me as everything in stock here is expired and they can't sell it.

On a side note, I had been getting most of my grade 8 bolts from Fastenal since there are several stores nearby and they are cheaper and have more of a selection than Home Depot or Lowes. However, I found another company called Bolt Depot that was almost 50% less than Fastenal. Placed my order around 1:30 today and it has already shipped. So if you need bolts for things like the bumpers or Rhino Tire carrier that is another source.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:52:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Ordered most of the bolts and seals needed for the slantback install today. Also ordered the epoxy primer and Sherwin Williams CARC. Ordering the CARC paint was a big hassle. I do not know why Sherwin Williams makes it so difficult. At first it was going easy, I used the product codes off of Ryan's sheet that he posted, but that's when it I started getting the run around. In the end, they are shipping it to me as everything in stock here is expired and they can't sell it.

On a side note, I had been getting most of my grade 8 bolts from Fastenal since there are several stores nearby and they are cheaper and have more of a selection than Home Depot or Lowes. However, I found another company called Bolt Depot that was almost 50% less than Fastenal. Placed my order around 1:30 today and it has already shipped. So if you need bolts for things like the bumpers or Rhino Tire carrier that is another source.
View Quote

I suspect we both ran into issues just because this isn't a product they end up selling very often and as soon as they start seeing "military" and "chemical agent" their eyeballs start spinning. At least you've got it on the way! Wonder why they wouldn't sell you the expired stuff they had. They had no problem selling me the expired stuff. Not that it's a bad thing to be getting fresh product.

Thanks for that link too! Bookmarked for later reference.

Last night, while I was sitting around watching TV I was browsing one of the TMs diagnostic flow charts on my starting issue. Sure enough, the TM delivers again!

(Albeit this is without knowing if the fuel pump pressure is actually low but, it does address the presence of vacuum when removing the fuel cap.)

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I decided to slap the running boards on today - who wants to take down a taliban safehouse with me?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Lawman looks good.

I was surprised today when I got home that the paint was delivered. I guess I can't complain since it was delivered so fast. Also the bolts were delivered so Bolt Depot is good to go. Just waiting on Kascar to get me the seals and misc pieces.

Going to start painting this weekend. I have a compressor, HF spray gun, paint, and time. Any tips or pointers?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman734] [#5]
Going to start painting this weekend. I have a compressor, HF spray gun, paint, and time. Any tips or pointers?
View Quote

Even though this isn't a Shelby Cobra, prep is still very important. Pressure wash and make sure it is thoroughly dry. Then tape, tape and tape some more. I really didn't think it'd take that long to tape, but as soon as I thought I was done, I'd see something else I missed. I spent most of an afternoon just taping.

The painting is the easy part. Use a piece of scrap cardboard to test the pattern, then have at it. I started with the roof and then immediately moved inside. Once the inside was done, I moved outside - I did the hood last (I did it with the hood raised) just because it's usually so finicky to get right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Lawman734:

I decided to slap the running boards on today - who wants to take down a taliban safehouse with me?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161020_164533_zpsnnvxypps.jpg
View Quote

Sweeeeettttt - I'm game!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:14:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beef1911] [#7]

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161020_164533_zpsnnvxypps.jpg
View Quote

The running boards bring it all together. I was having a difficulty envisioning the final picture. It looks badass now.

I better get going, I still havent even put mirrors on mine.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is a seriously good looking truck. Like movie quality good looking!

You considered potentially renting it out to production companies? There can't be that many GMVs running around.

Lawman looks good.

I was surprised today when I got home that the paint was delivered. I guess I can't complain since it was delivered so fast. Also the bolts were delivered so Bolt Depot is good to go. Just waiting on Kascar to get me the seals and misc pieces.

Make sure you post some notes on how the painting goes for you! Any helpful tips on the CARC application you can pass along would be welcome.

Originally Posted By Beef1911:
The running boards bring it all together. I was having a difficulty envisioning the final picture. It looks badass now.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/bobertm1009/20161018_183123_1.jpg

Is the paint that clean looking in person as it looks in the pic?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#9]
Pulled this from GD for interest here.

Florida Woman Killed In 3-Vehicle Crash With Louisiana National Guard Humvees

October 22, 2016

A Florida woman was killed and two Louisiana National Guardsmen were injured Friday night in a three-vehicle crash in Slidell.

Cheryl Billiot, 51, of Pensacola, Florida, was identified as the woman killed, the Louisiana State Police said in an update Saturday.

Investigators said the crash was reported just after 8 p.m. Friday on Interstate 10, near Gause Boulevard in Slidell.

Billiot was driving a 2013 Chevrolet Camaro east on I-10 when she merged from the center lane to the left lane and crashed into the rear of a Louisiana National Guard Humvee.

State police said the Humvee was part of a larger convoy of military equipment and vehicles on the interstate. The initial crash caused the Humvee to crash into the rear of a second Humvee.

Billiot suffered fatal injures in the crash, despite wearing a seat belt. She was pronounced dead at the scene by the St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office.

Two Guardsmen suffered injuries and were taken to a hospital in Slidell.

State police said impairment is not suspected in the crash, but blood samples were taken from all drivers as part of the investigation.

From a different news website:

Sounds like she came around a large, slower moving center lane vehicle, didn't see the convoy, and went into the back of the HMMWV.

From the comments at the link where the pic was, the left lane heads west so that's likely why the convoy was in the left lane.

Guess at least one truck is coming up for sale soon!

Since driving my truck I've found I get a lot of tailgaters despite almost always keeping right and people who want to stop at lights almost right on me which, considering the substantial bumper, tire carrier, and tire, I've found a bit surprising. Just don't get the logic in it. If you hit me, I'm probably going to need a can of spray paint and your car will be totaled.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Ryan, can you post a link to the rivet/nutsert tool you are using?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Ryan, can you post a link to the rivet/nutsert tool you are using?
View Quote

This is the one I got.

Found the aluminum 1/4 and 5/16 rivnuts on eBay.

That style tool will be tough to get into tight spots. If you need to do that, you'll want to get one of the angle head ones.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Also pulled from GD: Mosul Offensive: Iraqis Uparmored And Upguned Humvees

Who needs approach angle, departure angle, or cross country capability?

Maybe they're pulling double duty as bulldozers?

Who's going to be the first one to build an Iraqi HMMWV clone?

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
Since driving my truck I've found I get a lot of tailgaters despite almost always keeping right and people who want to stop at lights almost right on me which, considering the substantial bumper, tire carrier, and tire, I've found a bit surprising. Just don't get the logic in it. If you hit me, I'm probably going to need a can of spray paint and your car will be totaled.
View Quote

That's been my experience as well. We're driving big, slow trucks that are purposely painted to be difficult to see. With these vehicles, defensive driving is paramount since there are dumb-asses everywhere. We don't have anti-lock brakes and can't easily accelerate out of a situation, so I try to allow for plenty of room front and rear and have found it a good idea to drive with the lights on, regardless of what time of day it is.

On another note, I plowed a deer Friday with the GMV - the MSG bumper handled it like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevin101] [#14]

Here she is after the new batteries were installed.

This was clearly used by a sheriff's office somewhere because these are painted a few times on the truck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]

2 mystery pieces I found in the back of the truck
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Decided to dig into my leaky passenger side brake caliper today since it's 70 and sunny out.

Got the caliper off and I noticed the dust boot was suspiciously dry all around the piston.

At this point I pretty much knew what the leak was but kept digging.

Pulled off the halfshaft and out spills some pooled gear oil from the diff.

Yay diff seal replacement...

That's been my experience as well. We're driving big, slow trucks that are purposely painted to be difficult to see. With these vehicles, defensive driving is paramount since there are dumb-asses everywhere. We don't have anti-lock brakes and can't easily accelerate out of a situation, so I try to allow for plenty of room front and rear and have found it a good idea to drive with the lights on, regardless of what time of day it is.

On another note, I plowed a deer Friday with the GMV - the MSG bumper handled it like a champ.
View All Quotes

Yep, I always drive with my lights on. Even in my work van. Just a habit I got into a while ago. I've got some reflective delineators like you'd see on European US Military vehicles but I just haven't figured out how I want to put them on (I don't want them to be permanently applied).

LOL @ the deer!

Originally Posted By kevin101:
<a href="http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/kdogg980/media/20161019_084040_zpsaqbklciz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s606/kdogg980/20161019_084040_zpsaqbklciz.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/kdogg980/media/20161019_083955%201_zpser0kgyep.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s606/kdogg980/20161019_083955%201_zpser0kgyep.jpg</a>

2 mystery pieces I found in the back of the truck

LOL! You ain't got no tread left!

Bottom mystery piece should be the fire extinguisher mounting plate that mounts down along side the driver's seat. It's missing the actual extinguisher mounting bracket that attaches to it.

No idea about the top one. Almost looks like a bigger version of the radio tray my truck had mounted on the rear fender. Is there a lip on the underside?

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevin101] [#17]
it's smooth on both sides and it's not metal.

I ordered a 4 pack of tires with 24 bolt wheels from Rallequip.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]

I primed and sprayed the sponsons, windshield frame and a few other pieces today. CARC is very very thick, a lot thicker than the epoxy primer even when thinned. Needless to say the Harbor Freight cheap spray gun was a total disappointment. I need to find a spray gun with a larger tip.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Must be some sort of fender reinforcement. It looks like it matches up.

Did you call Rallequip or just order straight off the website? I called and left a voicemail a while back before i ordered my 24 bolt wheels and never heard anything back. Was going to just get some tires from Southern Metals but I'm not so sure they're MTRs even though Bruce told me they were. They have them listed as MTs on their website. I'm going to call Bruce again tomorrow and double check. I don't want to drive 18 hours down and back just to find out they're not MTRs and I don't want to pay more than I might need to with Southern Metals selling 100% tires for $100 each.

I primed and sprayed the sponsons, windshield frame and a few other pieces today. CARC is very very thick, a lot thicker than the epoxy primer even when thinned. Needless to say the Harbor Freight cheap spray gun was a total disappointment. I need to find a spray gun with a larger tip.

That's interesting to hear. I was fully expecting it to be not much different than automotive paint.

Maybe chat with Sherwin Williams and see what they recommend?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I ordered right off the website. I haven't had any updates or calls yet but they did charge my card. I'm going to call them today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#21]

That's interesting to hear. I was fully expecting it to be not much different than automotive paint.

View Quote

So I called Sherwin Williams and they said 1.8 tip size and to thin a minimum 10% with distilled water. Amount of thinning depends on the colors as some have more solids than others. Does this sound right about the thinning part?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]

So I called Sherwin Williams and they said 1.8 tip size and to thin a minimum 10% with distilled water. Amount of thinning depends on the colors as some have more solids than others. Does this sound right about the thinning part?
View All Quotes

Honestly have no idea. They didn't mention that to me at the store that ordered it for me or at the SW distro center I paid for it and picked it up at.

And that was with the catalyst added too?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beef1911] [#23]

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/bobertm1009/20161018_183123_1.jpg

Is the paint that clean looking in person as it looks in the pic?

View Quote

The lighting was good in that pic, but that is about 2.5 months after a wd40 paint refresh. (kept in the garage) it made the paint look 10x better.

Before wd40

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Honestly have no idea. They didn't mention that to me at the store that ordered it for me or at the SW distro center I paid for it and picked it up at.

And that was with the catalyst added too?

View Quote

That's what they said. Reading the product spec sheet it says to dilute with distilled/deionized water, but does not give dilution rates. I think its a product they are not very familiar with. The 1.8 tip sounds right as this stuff is thicker then epoxy primer. I will try a different spray gun for primers and see how it goes and dilute from there if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered right off the website. I haven't had any updates or calls yet but they did charge my card. I'm going to call them today.
View Quote

Well, this morning I called Bruce at Southern Metals and asked him what type of tires he had stocked and he said MTs. I asked if he had any MTRs and he said most everything he's had come through has been MTs with a few BFG Bajas.

So I called Corey at Rallequip at the number they have on the MTR pages about 3 hours ago and left another voicemail. Still nothing. I'll give them a couple of days and if I don't hear back I guess I'll just go with th MTs at Southern Metal.

I really wanted the MTRs but I don't need more 24 bolt wheels (unless anyone wants to buy them ) or I'd have just ordered them off their site. I wanted to see if they could sell them without the wheels.

If you actually end up speaking with anyone, tell them to finally call me back!

Fact is I need new tires of some sort more than I need MTRs specifically before Winter. The MTs are decent tires and if that's what it comes down to, that's what I'll put on my 24 bolts and will put on my truck.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#26]
The lighting was good in that pic, but that is about 2.5 months after a wd40 paint refresh. (kept in the garage) it made the paint look 10x better.

Before wd40

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/bobertm1009/20160606_183504.jpg
View All Quotes

Before wd40

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm93/bobertm1009/20160606_183504.jpg

Wow, no kidding! That does make it look a lot better.

I've held off doing that because I didn't want something else to worry about cleaning off when it came time to paint.

That's what they said. Reading the product spec sheet it says to dilute with distilled/deionized water, but does not give dilution rates. I think its a product they are not very familiar with. The 1.8 tip sounds right as this stuff is thicker then epoxy primer. I will try a different spray gun for primers and see how it goes and dilute from there if necessary.

Hmm. I may have to stop in at mine and talk to them about application.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

That would be my concern when speaking to them about CARC - it's not really used outside of a military setting so unless you're speaking with an engineer who helped develop it, they probably don't know much.

I'd be inclined to think that you'll get more accurate information from the folks on Steelsoldiers or G503 quite frankly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah that's what I was thinking on the CARC, they don't typically sell or use it so they don't know. I was put on hold for sometime while they tried to find someone who knew. Seeing some posts on Steel Soldiers seems a tip size of 1.8-2.2 is generally used which sound about right. Now to find a cheap hvlp with that tip size.

As for Rallequip, contact them on their Facebook page.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone try these guys?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/5779532725.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JohnyRotten:
Anyone try these guys?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/5779532725.html
View Quote

No but I might have to get in touch with them to see if they even ship and if the tires come with runflats.

Their price is close to Rallequip's. Rallequip sells a like new set for $700 (when they actually have them in stock). This guy for $750.

Plus he says he takes trades on HMMWV parts and I've got a set of half shafts and a heater core sitting around, both already paid for... Hmmm...

Much appreciated!

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kevin101] [#31]
I've called Rallequip 2 times and emailed 2 times over the past couple days. No response at all. They charged my credit card already so I'm starting to wonder it was a  scam. Another day and I'm going to call my bank and cancel the charge.

I've looked for their facebook page but it's not showing up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I've called Rallequip 2 times and emailed 2 times over the past couple days. No response at all. They charged my credit card already so I'm starting to wonder it was a  scam. Another day and I'm going to call my bank and cancel the charge.

View Quote

EagleArms got his Bajas and 24 bolts from them so I don't think they're a scam but, I'm getting the impression they have really poor customer service.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]

EagleArms got his Bajas and 24 bolts from them so I don't think they're a scam but, I'm getting the impression they have really poor customer service.
View All Quotes

I got the impression that it was a guy that has a friend or family member that owns a junkyard full of HMMWVs and they have given him power to sell wheels and tires.  When I talked to him he told me when he had time he would drive to the lot and get tires, so I know he wasn't spending all day there.  He is a nice guy though.  I had a problem with one of the tires I bought from him (very slight dry rot in a very small area) and he sent me a new wheel and tire for just the cost of shipping and I got to keep the problem tire for a spare.

I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again if the need arises.    

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Rallequip just called me back and answered my questions. I feel better about it now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, nothing here yet from Rallequip.

Also text that Craigslist contact at around 11:30am local with some questions and I still haven't gotten a reply. Since it's just after 5pm local, I'll be patient in case they are just getting off work.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, nothing here yet from Rallequip.

Also text that Craigslist contact at around 11:30am local with some questions and I still haven't gotten a reply. Since it's just after 5pm local, I'll be patient in case they are just getting off work.
View Quote

Actually did get a reply from the CL ad a bit ago.

Got quoted $925 for a 5 set of 90% MTRs, plus shipping. He did say tires may or may not come with runflats. I told him I'd really prefer with runflats but he didn't guarantee anything.

He said he uses Uship and quoted me $200 to a commercial address (750lbs weight) but was also willing to ship Fastenal so I'm going to get a quote from them tomorrow to see who's cheapest.

I crunched the numbers and his prices combined with what I paid for my 24 bolts would be about on par with what the same package would have cost from Rallequip.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I ordered a new light switch today because no matter what I did I couldn't get it to unlock. Hopefully some of my lights work but I won't know until it gets here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman734] [#38]
I ordered a new light switch today because no matter what I did I couldn't get it to unlock. Hopefully some of my lights work but I won't know until it gets here.
View Quote

I'm not trying to insult you, but you did lift and hold the bottom right lever UP while trying to manipulate the other levers, right? I ask because I've never seen a light switch where all of the levers were frozen.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I did try that. The bottom right switch won't move at all. The others move easily.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I did try that. The bottom right switch won't move at all. The others move easily.
View Quote

You've got nothing to lose. Tear that bad boy apart for an autopsy!

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Funny you said that, that's what I do for a living........
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

LOL! I've got one of the electronic push button light switches that that doesn't work, that I got screwed out of $130 for on eBay. I should open that thing up.

Unfortunately for me Esterline didn't want it for a post mortem in exchange for one of their new Gen 2 units.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman734] [#43]
I took the day off yesterday for an early morning B17 ride - which I highly recommend for anyone into aviation or military history.

Anyway, I spent the remainder of the day tinkering and managed to modify my 2 man curtain so that it works with the 4 man GMV setup, install my 4 man divider and an AS3916 antenna that I modified for CB use.  The CB will come in handy for truck to truck comms on the trails.

The Steelsoldiers GA Rally was last weekend and I managed to pick this up at the swap meet there. Not that I intend to have another blowout on the trail, but it'll definitely make things easier for tire changes.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I got my SF97 today via FedEx. The form was stamped "off road use only" as expected but it also arrived with a reassignment letter transferring the truck to me and this form isn't stamped. I'm hoping that will make it easier to register it here in NY.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I took the day off yesterday for an early morning B17 ride - which I highly recommend for anyone into aviation or military history.

Anyway, I spent the remainder of the day tinkering and managed to modify my 2 man curtain so that it works with the 4 man GMV setup, install my 4 man divider and an AS3916 antenna that I modified for CB use.  The CB will come in handy for truck to truck comms on the trails.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161026_171747_zpsvvafiixs.jpg

The Steelsoldiers GA Rally was last weekend and I managed to pick this up at the swap meet there. Not that I intend to have another blowout on the trail, but it'll definitely make things easier for tire changes.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161021_175256_zpsimjcbv28.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161026_171747_zpsvvafiixs.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/20161021_175256_zpsimjcbv28.jpg

I've been wanting to take a ride on one of the B-17s for a while. Aluminum Overcast was in town several weeks ago doing flyovers of my house. Saw it more than a few times out working on the truck.

Really like the impact set! If you don't mind, how much did that set you back? Is there any convenient spot it fits in the truck and does it take up much space?

I got my SF97 today via FedEx. The form was stamped "off road use only" as expected but it also arrived with a reassignment letter transferring the truck to me and this form isn't stamped. I'm hoping that will make it easier to register it here in NY.

Awesome and good luck!

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#46]
It was a short work day today and since it was sunny and in the mid 60s I dug into my fuel tank vent issue.

Had to lower the tank slightly to get the vent valve out but when I did I found it was all caked inside with some sort of white sludge. When I blew air down the line that's probably what I heard dislodge.

Otherwise it looks like it's in decent shape and could be cleaned out so I'll do that and toss it in the box of usable spares.

Got all the vent line replaced and since I had enough of the air brake line left over, I connected it to the open end of the filter and ran it up the side of the windshield where the wiring for the light bar is. Just a little deep water insurance, I figure.

Since the tank was down, got the fuel sender replaced too. We'll see if that improves the accuracy once it starts getting below a half tank.

Next up will be the fuel filter.

And tomorrow/Sunday I'll be working on getting the new output seal installed in the differential and the brakes put back together.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Really like the impact set! If you don't mind, how much did that set you back? Is there any convenient spot it fits in the truck and does it take up much space?
View Quote

I've seen used sets for sale on SS about 6 months ago that were going for I think $275 a set, and I'm not sure if they were complete. This kit was new and complete - the guy had a tag on it for $350. I offered up $300 and he took it. The kit is bigger than anywhere that it could be stashed in the truck - it won't fit under the rear seats. It will fit in the GMV toolbox though when I finally get it mounted. Until then, I think I'll shove it in a toolbag with the socket for the lug nuts, since that's all I really envision using it for anyway. Minimizing the kit into a toolbag should reduce things in size enough to definitely fit under a seat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevin101] [#48]
I replaced the light switch and I can happily report that the horn and all lights now work. I also got the new 4 man top that I ordered last week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Got my new output seal installed yesterday evening.

The TM makes mention of an "axle shaft and seal installer". Not having one handy I made my own.

Just a floor/wall 1-1/4 pipe flange trimmed to the size of the seal and section of 1-1/4 pipe trimmed down to about 3 inches. Worked perfect!

Thankfully, being an A1, my truck has the diff mounts that more easily allow seal replacement. A very helpful word of advice for anyone that has to replace an output seal, grind a taper on the outside edge of the seal! You will otherwise pull your hair out trying to install it without a press and the differential out of the truck. Found that tip after doing some looking online.

Went ahead and got the front and rear differential oil changed while I was at it. I had checked it before it's first drive and it looked good but figured I may as well take care of it.

Took the truck out for a 30 mile drive and so far so good on no leaks from the new seal!

I'm now patiently awaiting my new MT/Rs that should currently be in transit to my nearby Fastenal.

I replaced the light switch and I can happily report that the horn and all lights now work. I also got the new 4 man top that I ordered last week.
View Quote

I think you meant "horn". The horn in my Transit Connect is a bigger attention getter.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I laughed when I heard it. I'm thinking some airhorns might be in it's future.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top