Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ost.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the over/under on the # of idiots living/playing in the SoCal concrete "rivers" who get washed out to sea?

How high will the surf storm surge be?
View Quote

Depends on the track.  A direct hit on LA is well within the "cone of uncertainty"  Basically the track only needs to wobble 40 miles west.  If it does make cat 4 and makes that wobble things could get interesting.  

A dem city taking a direct hit from a Cat 4.  Shades of Katrina.  I wonder if Blackwater will have contracts in LA?
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was planning on buying a sofa tomorrow.  Do I need to change my plans ?
View Quote

Get something waterproof.  Even better if it floats and you get a paddle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ell neen yo!
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Soon

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So Cal is where my mind states, but it's not my state of mind
View Quote

I’m not as Ugly Sad as you
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wait. They will complain about too much rain and very soon about drougth
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
and right in the middle of the tomato, silage, cornuts, peppers and melon harvest.  not to mention lots have shaken their almonds already and are on the ground waiting to get swept.
gunna be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First since 1939?
View Quote

I remember one hitting in the 70’s. I was on the California side of the Colorado River and we got 60mph winds and lots of rain/floods. That far inland. Could be interesting. There’s a lot more people there now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]
More evidence of Republican induced climate change.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Obviously a result of catastrophic man made climate change.  I'm sure half of GD believes this
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe the Bay area will get some interesting weather. Rain or thunder storms or something.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m buying up all the beach front around the Salton Sea!
Gonna be rich!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Hurricane Hilary strengthens to Category 4 as it moves to Southern California

Hurricane Hilary strengthens to Category 4 as it moves to Southern California
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LA is going to get Arkancided?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
A few years ago a there were two events caused by different leftover tropical storms here.
1) leftover tropical storm energy came north and we had a dry lightning event with hundreds of ground strikes that ignited many deviatating widespread 100 year fires in the Bay Area.
2) leftover tropical storm cloud cover and a heatwave caused solar and even wind electric production to drop that CA didn’t have enough power available due to extra air conditioning loads and the power companies were doing statewide rolling blackouts.

I can smell the doom coming early next week due to something mismanaged by our state government combined with the extra rain, wind, lightning or reduced sunlight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A few years ago a there were two events caused by different leftover tropical storms here.
1) leftover tropical storm energy came north and we had a dry lightning event with hundreds of ground strikes that ignited many deviatating widespread 100 year fires in the Bay Area.
2) leftover tropical storm cloud cover and a heatwave caused solar and even wind electric production to drop that CA didn’t have enough power available due to extra air conditioning loads and the power companies were doing statewide rolling blackouts.

I can smell the doom coming early next week due to something mismanaged by our state government combined with the extra rain, wind, lightning or reduced sunlight.
View Quote

yep depending on solar is gonna hurt, gonna be a shitty week for socal
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh well, tis that time of year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Is Hillary gonna wipe CA clean? Like with a cloth or something?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
is it wrong if I pray for it to go Cat 5 ?
View Quote

I remember a documentary about a Cat 7.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Media will make a huge deal out of any damage and act like its never happened before and blame it on fossil fuel.
View Quote

Is there a reason they dropped an “l” in Hillary?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shit. My daughters stationed at Navy Base San Diego.

She gonna get wet. Helicopter Squadron, wonder if they’ll evacuate or lock down.
View Quote

My daughter is stationed there too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
A Tropical Storm? LOL, we get Thunderstorms worse than that here.

Going to be interesting seeing California get it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Currently predicted to come ashore in CA as a TS & hopefully no more that that.
Fingers crossed all our CA members to dodge the bullet wind and rain-wise.
Fingers also crossed that whatever ends up in NV helps Lake Mead recover.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

maybe it will clean all the poop from the streets
View Quote

If only there was a way to douse the entire city with bleach & simple green right before the storm hits!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shit. My daughters stationed at Navy Base San Diego.

She gonna get wet. Helicopter Squadron, wonder if they’ll evacuate or lock down.
View Quote

It depends on the size of the birds and if they can shove them into a hanger.

It looks like the wind won’t be that bad. Naval aircraft are designed to weather storms on the flight deck of air craft carriers and such.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#27]
This is how we get a sharknado
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe the Bay area will get some interesting weather. Rain or thunder storms or something.
View Quote

20 years ago (July 2003) I was in SF and there was a thunderstorm.  It made the news.  I thought that was weird.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#30]
The whining and crying of California from just a bunch of rain will be epic. One of my duties as a Floridian will be mocking them at every turn.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Category 4 now! Yeah baby!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Dang it who gave that clinton bitch the keys to the Bush Cheney weather machine
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was planning on buying a sofa tomorrow.  Do I need to change my plans ?

Maybe a double decker. I saw a documentary about that a few years ago.

Good luck to all those in its path!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw that it is now categorized as a cat 4. If that keeps up, then that will not be good for that area. It is definitely not designed to withstand a hurricane.

My in laws live there and are preparing as best they can. Since I am originally from there, I have a lot of family and friends in that area. I'll be praying for everyone in that area's safety

I shouldn't be surprised but it is always terrible to see people wish for death on others. You say it in such a casual way but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you haven't truly thought through what it would actually look like to have a mass casualty event in that area.

Hopefully, it does break before landfall or shortly after to minimize damage.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I welcome the death and destruction, to the delight of arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I welcome the death and destruction, to the delight of arfcom.
View Quote

I can only imagine all the ant burner threads...

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I used to go to Bulkhead City/ Laughlin a lot for work a few years ago. The fact that that place might catch part of a hurricane blows my mind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#38]
How big of a threat is Hurricane Hilary to Southern California?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The whining and crying of California from just a bunch of rain will be epic. One of my duties as a Floridian will be mocking them at every turn.
View Quote
@GaryM

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We actually had a hurricane hit in 1858.

Usually tropical cyclones have become post- or extra-tropical by the time they get here.  It happens every few years.  We get a bunch of rain and lightning, mostly in the mountains and deserts.
View Quote

I can remember to old folks talking about Mission Valley flooding when they first started to develop it. They were talking about the Hatfield flood of 1916 and the flood of 1939.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Saw that it is now categorized as a cat 4. If that keeps up, then that will not be good for that area. It is definitely not designed to withstand a hurricane.

My in laws live there and are preparing as best they can. Since I am originally from there, I have a lot of family and friends in that area. I'll be praying for everyone in that area's safety

I shouldn't be surprised but it is always terrible to see people wish for death on others. You say it in such a casual way but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you haven't truly thought through what it would actually look like to have a mass casualty event in that area.

Hopefully, it does break before landfall or shortly after to minimize damage.
View Quote

It will be over water below 26 C in about a day, therefore will not be able to retain major hurricane status.  The Windy app on my phone shows it pretty well degraded by the time it gets to 32 North.

The NWS has issued a hurricane watch and TS warning as far north as Ensenada, which isn't far at all from the border.  From the international border to the Orange County line it's now TS watch.

My biggest worries are a tree that needs to be trimmed, which is happening tomorrow, and not being able to put trash cans out on Monday if there is TS level wind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Socal slides into the ocean.
Ocean slides into SoCal.

Close enough.

But seriously, I hope it doesn't get bad. Death tolls will be massive due to shitty blue state infrastructure and inept governance.

Lahaina's democrat fuckups could be a distant memory by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Meanwhile

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

...But seriously, I hope it doesn't get bad. Death tolls will be massive due to shitty blue state infrastructure and inept governance....
View Quote

We're pretty good at water rescues around here.  Most deaths during heavy rain are from car crashes, and idiots trying to cross flooded roads that are clearly marked.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#45]
That should collapse and blow away a lot of the tent cities.  Maybe the residents of them too.

Downside is the hookers on Figueroa won’t be out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We're pretty good at water rescues around here.  Most deaths during heavy rain are from car crashes, and idiots trying to cross flooded roads that are clearly marked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...But seriously, I hope it doesn't get bad. Death tolls will be massive due to shitty blue state infrastructure and inept governance....

Or idiots hanging around or camping in the washes, rivers, and such.  Most of the deaths including those never found from the winter storms in my area were those types.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope it cuts through commiefornia like a buzz saw and slices the whole coastline off into the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hope it cuts through commiefornia like a buzz saw and slices the whole coastline off into the ocean.
View Quote

Do you identify as a Christian?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I can see the headlines now, comparing it to “super storm sandy”.  

Of course, when Florida gets a hurricane, GD tells us to live somewhere else and that they are “subsidizing” our insurance rates.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top