Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You would think with all those backup cameras the world would be a safer place.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you ask the cop if he had any leads?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What will you say to Jesus when you die?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had this happen a few months ago.
Truck parked at work, and a damned garbage truck backed into it, crunching the rr corner of the bed.
Fortunately a coworker saw it and stopped him.
Worker called his boss, he shows up and says he doesn't want to get insurance involved. Says take it wherever you want and get quote, he'll cut a check for the full amount.
Of course I go to the most expensive place in town, they quote me just under 11k, take quote to boss man, and he writes the check on the spot.
I just beat the dent out a little and put the money in the bank.  

So he doesn't deserve to be compensated by the business for his time spent repairing his truck and the hassle of having to deal with the damages? Are you high?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
About 8 years ago at a local Wally World someone backed into my car while I was inside shopping.

Told Wal-Mart, they won't show me the video footage.  I called the police and they investigated.  All I knew was it was a Tahoe.  Thanks.

I ended up paying out of pocket for the repairs to my car.  Three years later a drunk driver with no insurance rear ended me and that entire section of the car had to be fixed again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I always park away from the pack especially if I have to go to WalMart, Rural King or Dollar General. I've seen too many kids just fling car doors open and ding cars.
About 8 years ago at a local Wally World someone backed into my car while I was inside shopping.

Told Wal-Mart, they won't show me the video footage.  I called the police and they investigated.  All I knew was it was a Tahoe.  Thanks.

I ended up paying out of pocket for the repairs to my car.  Three years later a drunk driver with no insurance rear ended me and that entire section of the car had to be fixed again.

My truck was hit last Saturday in the Home Depot parking lot. Home Depot wouldn't show me anything either, they said I had to file a police report and only the police could see the video. A guy came up to me that had seen it happen, said it was some Hispanics in a white F-250. He said their truck was damaged much worse than mine, I only lost a taillight and got one small scratch just above the bumper. I already ordered a new taillight, not worth the hassle to get the police and my insurance company involved for a $100 repair.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
lol, sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Call the Police, it's an evading accident. They will review the tapes.
lol, sure

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you ask the cop if he had any leads?
View Quote

LE is not involved. There is no point
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what the store is hiding if they won't show the security footage... ??
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder what the store is hiding if they won't show the security footage... ??
View Quote

It’s store policy to only show to LE. LE is not going to do anything other than wish me the best of luck
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is the route I will go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe get a quote first then decide if it warrants getting your insurance involved.  

If you just call and mention this they are going to indicate it on your account whether or not you file a claim.  Best not to even say anything unless you are making a claim.

This is the route I will go

Be prepared to be blown away by the quote. Similar thing happened to me a month ago. About a golf ball sized dent in the front right panel, right on the contour above the panel. Quote was over $2k.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. There is a crisis of accountability in our country.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealing with this right now. Two months ago a woman backed into me while in a doctors office.
I finally got my truck in the shop last Monday. Allstate is her insurance company and it has been a nightmare.
View Quote
Use your own insurance and let them deal with Allstate.  That’s why you pay them thousands of dollars in premiums.
View Quote
This. Had a woman back into my mother's car in a parking lot. Got her info, gave it to mom's insurance company, and they took it from there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Let me put the camera myth to rest.

Most businesses especially grocery and retail stores do not cover much if any of their parking lot. At best it might cover the immediate entry approach and first row of parking spots. The stores are more concerned about theft from inside the store by employees and customers.
They don’t want to be tied up in court over fender benders, door dents, assaults and other crimes that have nothing to do with their profits.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just being devil's advocate - will the insurance company just take the policy holder's word that the vehicle was parked?

Hypothetical :  I got falling-down drunk last night and I sideswiped a parked car on the way home.  So I call my insurance company and say I got hit while it was parked in a parking lot?

I guess what I'm asking wouldn't you need something corroborating, like a police report?
View Quote

lying would be felony insurance fraud. do you wanna risk that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

About what?

His worker backed into my truck and paid for the damages. I chose to keep the money instead of the repair.

Am I missing something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had this happen a few months ago.
Truck parked at work, and a damned garbage truck backed into it, crunching the rr corner of the bed.
Fortunately a coworker saw it and stopped him.
Worker called his boss, he shows up and says he doesn't want to get insurance involved. Says take it wherever you want and get quote, he'll cut a check for the full amount.
Of course I go to the most expensive place in town, they quote me just under 11k, take quote to boss man, and he writes the check on the spot.
I just beat the dent out a little and put the money in the bank.  

About what?

His worker backed into my truck and paid for the damages. I chose to keep the money instead of the repair.

Am I missing something?

It is completly legal and above board . I had a similar incident happen, because i was 20 and had no idea what to do i called my insurance and they said "well you own the car, so you can decide to get it fixed, you can partially get it fixd and keep money, or say "f it, ill drive with dent and pay some bills" BUT if you elect to not fix it and you get in a wreck the chances of totaling vehicle are changed, as well as payout for a second dent on same spot.

Im assuming OP owns his truck, if the bank owns your truck it IS unethical to not fix because the banks requires that their truck be insured so they can recover their money if OP wrecks said truck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I stopped caring about getting dings on my car because women with kids will always park right up against it and fling their doors open.
I was sitting in my car once, in an empty area of a parking lot, and some woman in a minivan parks right next to me and her kid rammed my rear door when he swung his open.
After asking her why she chose to park right up against me in an empty parking lot she said "It seemed more efficient".

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Call the Police, it's an evading accident. They will review the tapes.
View Quote

this 100%

they will get the tapes as its a hit and run.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just being devil's advocate - will the insurance company just take the policy holder's word that the vehicle was parked?

Hypothetical :  I got falling-down drunk last night and I sideswiped a parked car on the way home.  So I call my insurance company and say I got hit while it was parked in a parking lot?

I guess what I'm asking wouldn't you need something corroborating, like a police report?
View Quote

Depending on the jurisdiction the local PD may or may nor respond to a private property collision or hit and run unless injury or death is involved. I’ll admit it’s been years ago but at least two suburban Detroit departments that I know of will tell you to contact your insurer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you call the police for a HR report of some sort?  In TX, a parking lot accident is a non reportable accident, but police can still get vid from the property and work the hr.  At least thats how we do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

this 100%

they will get the tapes as its a hit and run.
View Quote

They will not. They said that because it happened on private property and there was no injury reported, it is a civil matter. They will not be doing an investigation of any kind. Could be they are lazy, or don’t have the resources. In either case, the police are not going to be assisting. Chances are, in this town, the guy who hit my truck doesn’t have insurance. There is nobody to go after and I am on my own.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They will not. They said that because it happened on private property and there was no injury reported, it is a civil matter. They will not be doing an investigation of any kind. Could be they are lazy, or don’t have the resources. In either case, the police are not going to be assisting. Chances are, in this town, the guy who hit my truck doesn’t have insurance. There is nobody to go after and I am on my own.
View Quote

10-4

I do remember this happening to me about 10 years ago in my tacoma. someone punched out one of my tail lights. I just ordered a new one and went about my business.

if no paint damage you may be able to pop it out?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's why I always park away from the pack especially if I have to go to WalMart, Rural King or Dollar General. I've seen too many kids just fling car doors open and ding cars.
View Quote

Last winter, somebody I know parked a car in a deserted section of parking lot.
Some kid driving his pickup diagonally across the lot hit it hard.
Fortunately the kid was honest and waited for them to get out of the store and exchange insurance info.
It still sucked to be missing a car for weeks before it got fixed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had my truck parked in a parking lot of a shopping center. Went into the store to grab some stuff and came out and found someone backed into it and it has a large dent in the right fender and headlight bezel is broken.

Nobody saw anything and the store wouldn’t show me any video footage. So, if I file a claim with my insurance will my rates go up? I have zero accidents and have never filed a claim with these guys. I have had progressive over 10 years.

If it counts against me, I will just suck it up and live with the damage, but I would rather not.
View Quote

OP:

I had a guy back into my car in a Holiday station lot awhile back. The store Manager wouldn't give/show me the video, but my insurance was able to get it. Maybe try that route.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Progressive Insurance is actually very very good and you can call and literally ask them if submitting a claim will raise your premiums.  Likely it won't, but if it does, it won't be by much and will come back down in a couple years.  

I'm a careful guy...but have had to use my Progressive policies TWICE.  Both were self inflicted.   One was the roof of my toy hauler, damage was over $9000, premium didn't go up at all.  #2 was my 2008 Suzuki King Quad...hit a tree. (glancing blow, merely a flesh wound), with about $2000 damage.   My premium went up $15 per year on that one, for two years.

In your situation, I would call them and just ask what the outcome would be.  

I am a believer in insurance.  I pay into it, and I use it when necessary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
My truck was hit and run in a parking lot in Atlanta.  I'm just about leaving USAA over it.  They said I was at fault because there was no one else to blame.  I made it clear if they raised my rates over it I would leave them after 35 years.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Last winter, somebody I know parked a car in a deserted section of parking lot.
Some kid driving his pickup diagonally across the lot hit it hard.
Fortunately the kid was honest and waited for them to get out of the store and exchange insurance info.
It still sucked to be missing a car for weeks before it got fixed.
View Quote

I had this same thing happen once. Since then, I don't park by myself way out in the boonies unless it's a spot that's protected somehow (end of a row, next to landscaping, etc.).

Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#28]
BTDT. Older son borrowed my truck one weekend to visit his fiance (now wife) about 4 years ago, about 100 miles away. He went to a local Walmart up there to pick up something for her; spent no more than 30 minutes at Walmart. He left there and went to her house, spending the rest of the weekend with her and her parents; he went nowhere else and came home on Sunday afternoon. I walked outside to greet him and saw a big dent in the passenger side of the pickup bed, right in front of the tire. He knew nothing about it. Based on its shape and location, somebody swung too wide into the adjacent parking lot and hit it, most likely another truck or large SUV. They knew they hit it, because they left a big hand print in the dust on the dent. It didn't match my son's hand size. I called USAA to report it and told them the probable / approximate date, time and place of the incident, so they could contact Walmart for any video coverage. USAA called me back 2 days later and told me to take it to a local body shop for an estimate. Then they sent me a check, less my deductible. My rates didn't change.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top