Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

Now a real criticism is when you try to describe the taste "Umami" in English. It is one of the 5 basic tastes but we really don't have our own word for it.
View Quote

What's wrong with "savory"? Or, hell, what's wrong with just stealing "umami"?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

Now a real criticism is when you try to describe the taste "Umami" in English. It is one of the 5 basic tastes but we really don't have our own word for it.

Just please don't say "unctuous."

Fuck that word and fuck me for posting it.

Wait.

No.  Nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is there some other way you can illustrate the diversity of the word?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
English is great, look at the versatility of the word Fuck.

Fuck can be used for any fucking thing that is fucked up, fucking awesome, a dumb fuck, fuck it, fuck this shit, who gives a fuck, let's go get fucked, let's go get fucked up, so there is no fucking way English language is fucked up or tier fucking two because you can you use the word fuck for any fucking thing you want to and people will underfuckingstand it.  It can even be used to describe fucked up run on sentences.

So in closing Fuck Joe Biden.

I don't fucking know, what the fuck difference does it make at this fucking point?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck can be used for any fucking thing that is fucked up, fucking awesome, a dumb fuck, fuck it, fuck this shit, who gives a fuck, let's go get fucked, let's go get fucked up, so there is no fucking way English language is fucked up or tier fucking two because you can you use the word fuck for any fucking thing you want to and people will underfuckingstand it.  It can even be used to describe fucked up run on sentences.

That fucking fucker fucked the fucking diversity example right fucking proper, and you fucking fuckwits fucked it all the fuck up fucking around.  Fuck!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
…starile….

LOL

Trolling is a art.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You maybe need to do two things:

1) Look at why English is so prevalent around the world. My own experience, after 10 years trying to perfect my French led to the conclusion that at a given point, my French was as good as the English of, let's call them "person X". We both had a reasonable grasp of vocabulary and basic grammar. However, Person X could hold conversations with other English people, and they would understand him, and he them. Whereas I would mostly get blank looks. The reason is that you can throw together a bit of English with the words in the sentence in the wrong order, using wrong tenses and really crappy pronunciation and still be understood. With French, the grammar has to be close to perfect, tense is very important and pronunciation is the difference between a blank look and the the person walking away from this obviously mentally deficient person as quickly as possible.

With English, there is a somewhat linear relationship between comprehension, your vocabulary and your grasp of grammar.
With French comprehension trundles along at practically zero until you hit a tipping point where suddenly everyone understands you. But that needs you to be ~90% of the way up the learning curve.

I am told that other languages vary. Some are very tolerant of  errors, others not so much, but English wins practically every time.

2) Without wanting to seem rude, buy a thesaurus and dictionary. I hate to say this to you, because you are one of the better writers on here - I assume your spoken word is as good. But recognize that in general, American English is very restricted in its vocabulary and grammar ... well ... (this, coming from someone that always got "could do better" from his English teachers at school should speak volumes).

Also, English has never been really resistant to incorporating words from other languages when there isn't a good English one. Perhaps the most commonly used (and misused in the US) one being voilá. Often written and pronounced as "wolla" in the USA - because of the lousy English education here more than real ignorance. It does exactly what you describe, encapsulates what it would take a sentence to say otherwise. Not an English word, but widely enough adopted that virtually everyone understands it.

English is a live language - feel free to help it grow. If people have to google a word to understand it, good for them. They just expanded their vocabulary too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
What’s worse is that roughly 50% of the population is limited to about 13% of available vocabulary.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

‘Savory’ and ‘umami’ aren’t exactly the same… oh, there’s some of that nuance that ‘crude’ English isn’t supposed to have…
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oftentimes I have to use multiple very related and redundant words to describe some sort of situation or feeling in a sentence while other languages have the exact word I'm looking for.

Take for instance the Japanese saying "shikata ga nai",  Simply means "it cannot be helped" But there is no English equivalent to it, Is basically a situation that is truly, hopelessly, unchangeable, It's an idiom yes but the way it is pieced together is what really makes it so, Closest thing English actually has to it are actually books that you can read such as 1984, gulag archipelago, If you understand those 2 books then you understand the meaning.

For instance the word strong or strength, two words that are slightly different from each other, other languages would have 6 diffrent variations.

Perhaps the best example I can use off the top of my head is old ancient Sumerian

Kalag.

You have to practically use every single English word to describe it and even then it falls short, inner strength tenacity enduring perseverance will willpower blah blah blah  The thing I can think of is "imperishable" in a poetic light.

English is just so starile, its a very good technical language but can do little to express passion like traditional Chinese scrip or grand ideas and ideals like Sumerian.

Oh well.

Eta fixed weird ass auto correct of Japanese saying
View Quote

42342 posts since 2014, none of which have any consequence.  You work on Kia autos.  How old are you?  You derive some satisfaction from polluting Arfcom with your nonsense?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#13]
nihongonese fetish thread
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

42342 posts since 2014, none of which have any consequence.  You work on Kia autos.  How old are you?  You derive some satisfaction from polluting Arfcom with your nonsense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oftentimes I have to use multiple very related and redundant words to describe some sort of situation or feeling in a sentence while other languages have the exact word I'm looking for.

Take for instance the Japanese saying "shikata ga nai",  Simply means "it cannot be helped" But there is no English equivalent to it, Is basically a situation that is truly, hopelessly, unchangeable, It's an idiom yes but the way it is pieced together is what really makes it so, Closest thing English actually has to it are actually books that you can read such as 1984, gulag archipelago, If you understand those 2 books then you understand the meaning.

For instance the word strong or strength, two words that are slightly different from each other, other languages would have 6 diffrent variations.

Perhaps the best example I can use off the top of my head is old ancient Sumerian

Kalag.

You have to practically use every single English word to describe it and even then it falls short, inner strength tenacity enduring perseverance will willpower blah blah blah  The thing I can think of is "imperishable" in a poetic light.

English is just so starile, its a very good technical language but can do little to express passion like traditional Chinese scrip or grand ideas and ideals like Sumerian.

Oh well.

Eta fixed weird ass auto correct of Japanese saying

LP is a weird fucking dude, but he’s a site treasure, in spite of the nonsensical drama.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quit trying so hard. You literally answered your own statement.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162439/Screenshot_20220406-092450_Chrome_jpg-2339596.JPG
View Quote
Was just about to post the same
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

View Quote

Savory.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Viola!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That fucking fucker fucked the fucking diversity example right fucking proper, and you fucking fuckwits fucked it all the fuck up fucking around.  Fuck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boondock Saints - Rocco F-ck Monologue - HD
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Feelings?  How many words does a man need to describe Happy and Not Happy???
View Quote
Ancient Sumerian has a word that means really not happy so you don't have to say really not happy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ancient Sumerian has a word that means really not happy so you don't have to say really not happy.
View Quote

Do we really know any ancient Sumerian words, or just guesses based on cuneiform translation?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
It's called shit happens
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or the commonly used French "C'est la vie"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP

It Cannot Be Helped

Or the commonly used French "C'est la vie"

Or in Italian, "eh" with a shrugging motion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do we really know any ancient Sumerian words, or just guesses based on cuneiform translation?
View Quote

understanding? yes

pronunciation? no.

An, Enlil, Enki and Ninma? have decided its fate to overturn the divine powers of Sumer, to lock up the favorable reign in its home, to destroy the city, to destroy the house, to destroy the cattle-pen, to level the sheepfold; that the cattle should not stand in the pen, that the sheep should not multiply in the fold, that watercourses should carry brackish water, that weeds should grow in the fertile fields, that mourning plants should grow in the open country,

since the big translation revolution in the 1980s with the aid of computers many dead languages are understood now
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I cannot fathom being this unhappy all the fucking time, the only person I know IRL as miserable is a 50 something angry at the world lesbian.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Uhhh, No.

Direct translations of the ethereal languages Of the Far East to Latin base is laughably crude.

Took me years of mental gymnastics to be able to finally go between the 2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162439/Screenshot_20220406-092450_Chrome_jpg-2339596.JPG

Uhhh, No.

Direct translations of the ethereal languages Of the Far East to Latin base is laughably crude.

Fubar
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

understanding? yes

pronunciation? no.

An, Enlil, Enki and Ninma? have decided its fate to overturn the divine powers of Sumer, to lock up the favorable reign in its home, to destroy the city, to destroy the house, to destroy the cattle-pen, to level the sheepfold; that the cattle should not stand in the pen, that the sheep should not multiply in the fold, that watercourses should carry brackish water, that weeds should grow in the fertile fields, that mourning plants should grow in the open country,

since the big translation revolution in the 1980s with the aid of computers many dead languages are understood now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

understanding? yes

pronunciation? no.

But we don’t know the actual phonetics of the words… just what they looked like in written form, right?  The phoenyms are all based on extrapolation and educated guesses.

Note: I have a translation of the Epic of Gilgamesh under the seat of my truck right now…
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The English language is fine. It is not the fault of the language that its speakers have such limited vocabulary.

That said, I will fight people in defense of koselig
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#28]
English has only recently become good with slang.

Example, Russian slang in Israel. Best one is Propeil, which means “I was paid on Friday, and blew it all drinking, it’s Monday now and I’m broke the rest of the week.”

We need more words like this.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Chinga tu madre whey
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LP thread.
View Quote

They never disappoint
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't even count the number of chicks I've stopped talking to because everyday it was some stupid new far fetched shit to be depressed about, and no one wants to listen to that bullshit. You outshine them ALL, OP. Between crying about your awards trip, and now your native language not having enough emotion, maybe you should look into changing up your meds.

What's the Japanese character for "blow the sand out of your vagina and act normal?"
View Quote

anata no ? kara suna wo fukitobashi ? shojo ni koudou suru

Also, English is the perfect universal language. Our only native form of poetry is Limericks. nuff said.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LP is a weird fucking dude, but he's a site treasure, in spite of the nonsensical drama.
View Quote
So was DJ for a while. Eventually they get attention that they weren't looking for.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Bless his heart Little Pony does get things stirred up upon occasion.

I have to say I am really enjoying this thread as it develops.

I personally don't get very offended over criticisms like this as it is out of ignorance and a misunderstanding of the contextual complexity possible in the English language.

Bless his heart:  This can be an insult, an expression of pity/sympathy, or even a compliment, depending on the context. As an insult, it can mean a variety of things, ranging from "what an idiot" to "f*** you". In a more sympathetic way, it can mean something to the effect of "I feel bad for you/so-and-so" or "what a shame". As a compliment, it can actually mean "what a sweetheart" or "how cute/sweet". In that sense, it's typically referring to someone's innocence or as a term of endearment.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uhhh, No.

View Quote

Direct translations from any language to another is always problematic. It doesn’t matter which languages you pick or which way the translation goes.  This doesn’t make either language “crude” or “ethereal”, unless you’re injecting your own personal bias.  Different languages all have different nuances, and some languages are better (or, in some cases, just different) at describing certain concepts.

Listen to a technical conversation in Mandarin or Korean… every 7th or 8th word has to be in English.  Similarly, listen to a discussion of Mathematics.  Most Asian languages just aren’t good for either.

Modern languages (like American English) emphasize non ambiguity. That’s why people who can’t spell or distinguish between homophones are so annoying. “If you can decipher my gibberish, then we’re communicating, so stop being a grammar nazi,” just leads to increasing (rather than decreasing) ambiguity in language.

American English (being something of a polyglot) is actually among one of the most flexible languages around, largely because it easily absorbs “foreign” words.

Different languages express things in different ways, and the language you grow up speaking actually changes the way your brain processes information.  Once you get older, most people’s brains get more hard wired in this area, which makes it harder to learn more languages, but also harder to visualize concepts that don’t express themselves well in your native language.  This is why (personal bias here) kids that grow up in multilingual environments tend to be more creative than those that grow up in strictly monolingual environments.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Blackpilled"
"ShitsFucked"

Maybe because for some people, 'umami' sounds too much like 'yo momma' - which could lead to outbreaks of violence...

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]
OP is learning his first foreign language.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#37]
English: Adding nuoc mam to my fajitas gives them a certain je ne sais quoi, don’t you think?

Response: fuckin’ a, bubba
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

understanding? yes

pronunciation? no.

View Quote

But can we grok them or do we just "understand" them?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

20% is 20%
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#40]
This thread cannot be helped.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#41]

i love how it's all on the doors

basically fuckin' everywhere
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#42]
It cannot be helped? How about fucked? Screwed? Damned? It cannot be helped? Inevitable demise?

It’s not the language, it’s how you use it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Shikata ga nai, dude.

Shit be that way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol this.

WTF is OP talking about.

English has lots of sayings. The OP is chasing an untamed Ornithoid without cause
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Nothing gets the point across like a fucking F bomb.  

Versatile word and is known in other languages.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lol this.

WTF is OP talking about.

English has lots of sayings. The OP is chasing an untamed Ornithoid without cause
View Quote

Perhaps i am
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But can we grok them or do we just "understand" them?
View Quote

Considering that they wrote an absolute fuckton, I mean they were basically super bureaucrats, with enough time and effort you definitely could
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Considering that they wrote an absolute fuckton, I mean they were basically super bureaucrats, with enough time and effort you definitely could
View Quote

Gotcha!

If they were super bureaucrats, then even the people of their own time wouldn't be able to understand them.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, it’s clear English isn’t your cup of tea. But that’s not English’s fault.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah, it’s clear English isn’t your cup of tea. But that’s not English’s fault.
View Quote

Rubbish! The guilt is written all over the punch-worthy faces of the multitudinous perpetrators of English lexicological crimes, and bleeds forth such as to risk rendering the whole of the bounding main incarnadine! Now, why don't get with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top