Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve never worn a harness whilest in a scissor lift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is the CM... Skanska?
I’ve never worn a harness whilest in a scissor lift.
Fairly new policy here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If the guy ever gets busted not being tied off again, it is an immediate one year ban from all of this GC's projects.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We had a welder up on a work stand a couple of weeks back that left his screens on the floor.  Too hard to set up.  Too hard to protect everyone else's eyes.

I made a safety report because the supervisor was a dick.
View Quote
LOL.  I had people welding for me and I asked if they could use curtains/screens.

This fucking guy grabs a welding blanket and just holds it up outstretched

An angry phone call was made soon afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least you aren't telling us about a guy who fell out and died because he wasn't clipped in.
View Quote
Performing a pancake is not good.

Sorry to hear of your coming paperwork storm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
KC area? Which job?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He had his harness on but wasn't clipped off to the attachment point.

One of the CM safety guys walked right up to him.  Three days off the job and "retraining" when he gets back.

Now they are going to be crawling up my ass for the next month.

It was in a scissors lift, not an OSHA requirement but a GC/CM requirement.

$300-$400 million dollar project.
View Quote
He got off easy. The job site I am currently on would be no less than a 30 day ban from site. Also, depending on who caught him they might say it was willful and give them a year.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
They will nail our guys at work. A violation doesn't offer a retrain or second chance....they get a permanent vacay.

If the safety folks could go back in time and witness stuff I've done, they'd get the sucking vapors.

No lift available? No problem...just get a forklift driver to raise you on a pallet. :)

I recall one old man that would check to see if a 480volt/3phase disconnect was powered by swatting it with his bird finger. Actually saw this on three different occasions. I always preferred using meters myself.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
We just let an employee go who violated our fall protection policy.  Dude fell 8ft, it's a miracle he was uninjured.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks safe to me

Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
we just got sent home for a day and retraining for not wearing our harnessed moving materials on the fucking ground with a pallet jack. this safety nazi shit is fucking out of control. it was bad 10 years ago, now days its full obama level retardation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a Safety Officer for a large county government.  I have to respond to shit like this.  Several years ago two idiots using a boom lift like a crane.  Thin poly rope broke and catapulted them over the side.  One almost died.  Their harnesses were clipped on, but neither one was wearing them.

I spent years in aviation.  OSHA Regs like Federal Aviation regs are written in blood.
View Quote
stupid people should be dead. let darwin fucking work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
we just got sent home for a pay off and retraining for not wearing our harnessed moving materials on the fucking ground with a pallet jack. this safety nazi shit is fucking out of control. it was bad 10 years ago, now days its full obama level retardation.
View Quote
Harnessed moving materials?  Pallet jack?

More details needed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

More details needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we just got sent home for a pay off and retraining for not wearing our harnessed moving materials on the fucking ground with a pallet jack. this safety nazi shit is fucking out of control. it was bad 10 years ago, now days its full obama level retardation.

More details needed.
no more details needed. walking with our feet on concrete bottom floor with a pallet jack. our employer requires 100% harness AND yoyo on body at all times.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only been in construction for 20 years now, but every time I get involved with safety related conversations, my mind is made up that most of this shit can be covered under having just a little bit of common sense.  When on a scissor lift, I tie off to the structure, not the lift.  If the lift goes over, I'll hang until some one can come and get me.(yes, I know of the circulation dangers of hanging in a body harness)  I don't do boom/articulating lifts.  Fuck that.  And I don't give one fuck what OSHA rules might be on that particular subject.  Mike Rowe has it correct on jobsite safety.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
we just got sent home for a day and retraining for not wearing our harnessed moving materials on the fucking ground with a pallet jack. this safety nazi shit is fucking out of control. it was bad 10 years ago, now days its full obama level retardation.
View Quote
And, contractors wonder why they can't get/keep guys working for them in the commercial trades. So glad to be out of that crap.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
no more details needed. walking with our feet on concrete bottom floor with a pallet jack. our employer requires 100% harness AND yoyo on body at all times.
View Quote
Solid?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
We have no common sense anymore, so we have common sense safety guys.

I’ve been working with skanska for 10 years.

Their safety shit is there because people are inherently stupid anymore
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've seen alot of scissor lifts in use and never seen the worker in a harness.
View Quote
As long as the rails meet OSHA height guidelines a harness isn't required on scissor lifts by OSHA.  BUT the lift use/safety policies of companies and the general contractor of a site youwork on can require it to cover their asses.

It varies so much between GC but it has been getting more stringent.  I've been on retail construction sites where a GC never wears a hard hat, then others require hard hats all the way through until they turn over the store to the owner, even if the store has a finished ceiling and no real construction work being done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More details needed.
Eject.  That's fucking insane.  Did someone get hurt using a pallet jack recently?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with this. So a question out of ignorance. If you're clipped in to a scissor lift and the thing decides to tip, how is a harness going to help?  Or is the harness to keep the guy from falling out of the platform?  I've seen alot of scissor lifts in use and never seen the worker in a harness.
View Quote
The harnesses keep the guys from hitting the ground when they climb up/out ‘to do this one thing real quick’.  Think of it a firearm safety.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MSHA rules are my favorite.

Must wear a life jacket when there is a danger of drowning. Well you can drown in a puddle of water so they expect you to wear one when working near puddles.

Same for a ladder, whenever there is a danger of falling which is anytime your feet leave the ground. Tied off standing on a step ladder a foot off the ground.

Site you for no TP in the Porto John too
View Quote
You sound like an above ground ‘miner’.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have seen people get yelled at for not clipping in when the boom is lower than the minimum distance that the fall limiter will work
View Quote
The boom lift makes a fine catapult.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking.

We may laugh, but it's no fun telling a wife her husband is dead while her and the kids are crying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least you aren't telling us about a guy who fell out and died because he wasn't clipped in.
That's what I was thinking.

We may laugh, but it's no fun telling a wife her husband is dead while her and the kids are crying.
That type of thinking is why Chinese manufacturing is beating the US. We need to let Darwin do his thing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back when I used to work on big jets, we would park a scissor lift as close as we could to the jet, raise it just past the widest part then stand on the out side of the lift. Feet on the lift and knees on the plane. It's a good thing the safety guys didn't work over-nights.
View Quote
I picked up a 19' from a site one day and the fucking electrician had the rails on the floor in a pile.  She said it was easier to get into the trusses that way.

25' deck so trusses probably at 22', all the tie ins were in the rails so she was free balling it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I would have had a hard time not laughing in his face. Tell him to show me engineering that ceiling grid meets minimum anchorage requirements.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Reflection of his leadership....
View Quote
That's pretty obvious reading the OP
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
A lot of the most ignorant shit out there isn't even due to OSHA (though they surely have plenty of ignorant shit of their own).

The fucking insurance companies get ANYTHING they want, no matter how stupid, counterproductive or even dangerous it may be.

They just tell the company how it's going to be or else no coverage.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yup that is a big no no

we had to replace 2 contract supervisors for lack of fall protection on a roof project
View Quote
Had a contractor at my work not using a hookup on the roof of a new building we were putting up.  This was despite EXTENSIVE safety training and safety REQUIREMENT STANDARDS and knowledge that we make contractors take on their behalf and ours.

He fell.

He's retarded now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Today’s (July 5th) safety brief during the morning meeting.......

Fireworks safety

I got up and went and sat on the pot and surfed Arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had a contractor at my work not using a hookup on the roof of a new building we were putting up.  This was despite EXTENSIVE safety training and safety REQUIREMENT STANDARDS and knowledge that we make contractors take on their behalf and ours.

He fell.

He's retarded now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup that is a big no no

we had to replace 2 contract supervisors for lack of fall protection on a roof project

He fell.

He's retarded now.
That's exactly how it should be. Let Darwin claim the dumb ones. /GD
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Never heard of Turner.

Not Clayco, think.... Bigger.

That's all I'm saying.
View Quote
The big green W?
Walsh?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#32]
We have so many safety rules and regulations to abide by at work that its hard to remember them all.

MSHA is our biggest threat and gives the biggest fines. They give fines to the Mines site, the contractor who had the infraction and the person who was caught with the infraction.

OSHA also applies but don't mess with us as MSHA usually over rules them.

DOT is a big one as we have many service trucks. With electronic logs and data sent to the office, you just need to take your time and drive at or below the limit.

We also have company rules that are made up by a desk jockey who needs to justify his job so is always adding more rules and regulations.

it also seems like out insurance carrier is adding rules and stipulations.  More than 3 driving accidents, even in your personal vehicle on your own time or too many points. You can't drive a company vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have so many safety rules and regulations to abide by at work that its hard to remember them all.

MSHA is our biggest threat and gives the biggest fines. They give fines to the Mines site, the contractor who had the infraction and the person who was caught with the infraction.

OSHA also applies but don't mess with us as MSHA usually over rules them.

DOT is a big one as we have many service trucks. With electronic logs and data sent to the office, you just need to take your time and drive at or below the limit.

We also have company rules that are made up by a desk jockey who needs to justify his job so is always adding more rules and regulations.

it also seems like out insurance carrier is adding rules and stipulations.  More than 3 driving accidents, even in your personal vehicle on your own time or too many points. You can't drive a company vehicle.
View Quote
Sounds expensive. But this is the atmosphere we have to deal with bringing home all that Chinese manufacturing. Kinda makes sense why companies like to open up there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Just heard about a falling death in my industry today. Shitty way for the family of the deceased to spend July 4th. Happens in an instant and preventable 99.999999999999999999999999% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
If I had a dollar for every time a safety guy told me I needed gloves while using a chop saw or safety glasses while mounting a sink I wouldn't need to be on commercial sites anymore.

Safety is a good thing, but some of us are in trades that are on ground level, after the overhead work is done, and we need some fucking dexterity to do our jobs correctly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lol, I rarely wear my harness clipped... even in the 80 and 150 aerials.
View Quote
And you probably won't right up until you end up in the hospital and your employer is facing an OSHA investigation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh, this is in MO?  Probably my last place of employment. Most unsafe place ever.  They didn’t give a fuck about OSHA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I read this title very...literally.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, are you in the field or in the office drinking cucumber water and playing ping pong?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And yet you had time to post about it here.
View Quote
He got a day off for getting caught driving and posting on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It happens. I had two of my guys cited by osha for no fall protection on a roof. They were 40 feet from the edge. Multiple lawyers and company safety training records later, the citation was dropped. Still made my life hell for weeks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I havent worn a harness in a manlift since I got my last cert.

They are a major pain in the ass
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#44]
That is  all a bunch of gay shit, america was not built by fags who whore a safety line everytime they had to climb a tall ladder.

I will never follow any of that gay ass shit.

At 21 years old with 3 years on a motorcycle and 2 years in a cnc machine shop and a lifetime of doing stupid shit, I am living proof that common sense is all you need to keep your fingers and toes intact. Fuck the safety nazi's.

You know who loses appendages or their lives on the worksite? Idiots who weren't making use of them in the first place, with few exceptions.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#45]
jesus im glad im self employed.  and dont work big commercial jobs.

we own our own boom lift.  we can use it the way we want...
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Most of the big CM/GCs are requiring tie off in scissor lifts these days.  Remember about 15 years ago Jacobs was the first I'd encountered.  It's an argument no one will ever win.  By signing contract, we agree to their rules.  Be aware of escalation of penalties.  A CM we work for requires us to provide our own safety professional after 3rd strike as a sub-contractor.  Could be quite costly to a small crew.  Public relations with safety personnel is key.  Much easier if they like you.  Involve them in daily plan, they like that.  Getting much opinion from strip mall builders here, really wouldn't understand scope of these projects.  Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Well.. he could have done his fucking job

Each site and project have their own standards. Know it and live by it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#49]
stupid people should be dead. let darwin fucking work.
View Quote
Ok, that made me chuckle a bit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You would be fired on the spot for not using PFPE with my employer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448/82EA2128-E653-43EE-97F3-0A5A8AC0E15A-598604.JPG
View Quote
Cool. It must suck to climb to the top of those wind turbines
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top