Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 469
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hking] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

Honestly, using something like the new momentus space tugs to push a satellite out of orbit or spray paint onto it's solar panels would be better.

https://momentus.space/

The Space Force Should be clearing out space junk as practice.
View Quote
The X-37b is doing something up there...... the last one was up there 700+ days doing "stuff"
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

The First Nation to have global anti-ICBM satellite coverage and the willingness to actually make use of it (which includes having rooted out fifth-columnists in government and the media) will become the first hyper power.

We're either there or close enough.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Elon Musk shows off massive "Starship" spacecraft prototype
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:
I’m curious to see what kind of redundancies they plan on installing for manned missions. To the moon isn’t that big of a deal since the orbit is pretty much the same. However, trips to Mars has to hit orbital windows when the Earth and Mars align in their orbits that are like 18 months apart. So once you’re out, you’re cut off from resupply until the next 18 month orbital window opens up.

Concepts like mining Mars to make return fuel seems sketchy at the first run. Mining in spacesuits and minimal infrastructure seems difficult to nearly impossible. I don't see them hauling a boring machine on their first trip or ever considering their size and weight, they’d need to be built there.

So sending multiple Starships to stage in place seems like the only real safe solution. Parking return fuel ships in orbit for the return home flight. Then do you send just one? Or do you send two just Incase Murphy happens and shit gets fucked up. Provisions will have to be sent to plan for a worst case scenario where food production planet side doesn’t fly. Provisions would have to be trucked there or they’d be stuck on a space Vegan diet. With a vertical lift and landing system, it seems difficult to load and unload equipment. On Mars or the moon, there is no established landing pad with infrastructure present to assist. Imagine that big bastard launching from the dirt surface of the moon or Mars and the amount of debris that will be kicked up. So their little colony is going to have to be set aways a way from wherever they touch down.
View Quote
They are going to send unmanned trips first and that is exactly what they are planning on doing. They will already have all of that support infrastructure there. And that stuff is going to be developed - on the moon missions. The yare going to learn how to do it on the moon first.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Any working concepts where you can drop a mining operation and have it producing usable resources? I can see mining CO2 from the atmosphere and breaking it down with solar power to generate oxygen, but anything material wise seems currently unfeasible? Rolling out a single sheet of steel requires significant infrastructure and resources. You’d have to built an electrical smelter since there is no coal or oil resources, presumably.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Any working concepts where you can drop a mining operation and have it producing usable resources? I can see mining CO2 from the atmosphere and breaking it down with solar power to generate oxygen, but anything material wise seems currently unfeasible? Rolling out a single sheet of steel requires significant infrastructure and resources. You’d have to built an electrical smelter since there is no coal or oil resources, presumably.
View Quote
Nuclear power is a necessity. Solar is barely feasible due to size, weight, and distance from the sun. It’s got a be a reactor, fusion would be the bomb but fission will work fine too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m curious to see what kind of redundancies they plan on installing for manned missions. To the moon isn’t that big of a deal since the orbit is pretty much the same. However, trips to Mars has to hit orbital windows when the Earth and Mars align in their orbits that are like 18 months apart. So once you’re out, you’re cut off from resupply until the next 18 month orbital window opens up.

Concepts like mining Mars to make return fuel seems sketchy at the first run. Mining in spacesuits and minimal infrastructure seems difficult to nearly impossible. I don't see them hauling a boring machine on their first trip or ever considering their size and weight, they’d need to be built there.

So sending multiple Starships to stage in place seems like the only real safe solution. Parking return fuel ships in orbit for the return home flight. Then do you send just one? Or do you send two just Incase Murphy happens and shit gets fucked up. Provisions will have to be sent to plan for a worst case scenario where food production planet side doesn’t fly. Provisions would have to be trucked there or they’d be stuck on a space Vegan diet. With a vertical lift and landing system, it seems difficult to load and unload equipment. On Mars or the moon, there is no established landing pad with infrastructure present to assist. Imagine that big bastard launching from the dirt surface of the moon or Mars and the amount of debris that will be kicked up. So their little colony is going to have to be set aways a way from wherever they touch down.
View Quote
Oh ya. With 18 month windows for 6 month trips a lot of forward thinking, logistics, and shit going right needs to happen.
From things I've read and people that I've spoken with on this, a crew of 6 for 1 year will need 26,000lbs of food that will take up 1100 cubic ft of volume. That's for only 1 year.
It's also weird to think that air can be a logistics problem. Plan out how much oxygen and nitrogen would be needed for 30 months +.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
Oh ya. With 18 month windows for 6 month trips a lot of forward thinking, logistics, and shit going right needs to happen.
From things I've read and people that I've spoken with on this, a crew of 6 for 1 year will need 26,000lbs of food that will take up 1100 cubic ft of volume. That's for only 1 year.
It's also weird to think that air can be a logistics problem. Plan out how much oxygen and nitrogen would be needed for 30 months +.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Psssh. They can just grow potatoes in their shit with Martian soil. I saw it on a documentary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
Psssh. They can just grow potatoes in their shit with Martian soil. I saw it on a documentary.
View All Quotes

It was a good documentary.
I wish it explained more how he separates the stuff in the soil that is bad for plants and humans before he mixed the shit in it though
Also, I want to know what kind of tarp they have that holds back a 14 psi pressure diff on the habitat with an endless air source.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]

I wish it explained more how he separates the stuff in the soil that is bad for plants and humans before he mixed the shit in it though
Also, I want to know what kind of tarp they have that holds back a 14 psi pressure diff on the habitat with an endless air source.
View Quote
The hab may have been 4psi pure O2, or some other <1bar high O2 mix. Easy to get there, though the co2 scrubbers would need to be off for the plants to thrive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Launch windows may be about every 26 months but verify.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Launch windows may be about every 26 months but verify.
View Quote
Minimum energy launch windows are every 780 days.  You can launch to Mars pretty much anytime just takes more delta V and more time to get there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
The hab may have been 4psi pure O2, or some other <1bar high O2 mix. Easy to get there, though the co2 scrubbers would need to be off for the plants to thrive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:

Wasn't he burning hypers inside to get the humidity up?  Couldn't have been oxygen rich environment, could it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Nuclear power is a necessity. Solar is barely feasible due to size, weight, and distance from the sun. It’s got a be a reactor, fusion would be the bomb but fission will work fine too.
View Quote
You’re right about that. Big photovoltaic fields are miles across here and pump out area megawatts. You’d have like a 40% loss there due to distance from the sun. I’d like to see how they’d be installed remotely or by guys in spacesuits. Hell, show me a robot that can dig holes for the footers by itself and I’ll be impressed. I want to see Musk convince the space hippies that they need to launch a nuke plant on top of that rocket. They cried like little bitches about Cassini.

I’m not sure how easy it is to find water there to use for the nuke turbines. Even a closed loop system would require a lot of water. Too much to haul with you from Earth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
In the Expanse series, they talked about this. When the space Mormons we’re staging to leave the solar system on a 100 year journey, they had to make sure all the systems had next to zero loss since there would be nowhere to resupply. It would be less of an issue going to Mars since some of the base materials can be used to generate water and oxygen fairly easily. A place with zero organic compounds makes things tough to do. You aren’t going to be pumping oil out of the ground to make plastics. Any compounds like this would need to be synthesized in less than ideal conditions. Making a simple gasket is going to take a thought out process.

I don’t see the economic potential for being on Mars yet. I’d love to see it explored by men. The only way I see it happening is the project is funded by earth based funding streams like Starlink and commercial orbital lift capacity. Sure many would love to go as a tourist type adventure, or maybe to escape clown world based governance. I don’t see that being cheap though. It’s one of the main reasons SpaceX has remained private. You start telling shareholders that you’re going to shovel cash into this boondoggle with no real plan for a profit, and stockholders will abandon ship.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#17]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
They've been talking about sending multiple starships and supplies ahead of time so that there are materials and other necessities in place there ready to build when the people show up. he talked about it in the presentation last night too.
View Quote
This. He literally talked about all of this just last night lol. At least 2 according to Musk will be sent ahead of time. Plus what they then bring with. A lot of you guys are thinking in "NASA" terms. Musk is gonna be rolling these ships and engines out and sending them. He can do that because he is keeping his operations running at about 10% what NASA is spending for basically the same things. Also, someone mentions can a Tesla be used as a Rover and you could literally see the light bulb go off in his head on stage lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BigPony:
This. He literally talked about all of this just last night lol. At least 2 according to Musk will be sent ahead of time. Plus what they then bring with. A lot of you guys are thinking in "NASA" terms. Musk is gonna be rolling these ships and engines out and sending them. He can do that because he is keeping his operations running at about 10% what NASA is spending for basically the same things. Also, someone mentions can a Tesla be used as a Rover and you could literally see the light bulb go off in his head on stage lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
They've been talking about sending multiple starships and supplies ahead of time so that there are materials and other necessities in place there ready to build when the people show up. he talked about it in the presentation last night too.
That would make more sense if Tesla wouldn’t be bankrupt long before starship flies to Mars.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#19]

That would make more sense if Tesla wouldn’t be bankrupt long before starship flies to Mars.
View Quote
What does Tesla have to do with Space X?

As of May 31, 2019, the value of SpaceX has risen to $33.3 billion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/spacex-valuation-33point3-billion-after-starlink-satellites-fundraising.html

If he closed Tesla tomorrow it has no affect on Space X

Musk literally has investors coming up to him and giving him 1 billion dollars just to go to the moon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/spacex-valuation-33point3-billion-after-starlink-satellites-fundraising.html

View All Quotes

I’m fully aware, thank you. Just pointing out that taking a “tesla” rover to Mars doesn’t work if there is no Tesla. I’m a Musk and SpaceX fan, but Tesla is a dead man walking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#21]

I’m fully aware, thank you. Just pointing out that taking a “tesla” rover to Mars doesn’t work if there is no Tesla. I’m a Musk and SpaceX fan, but Tesla is a dead man walking.
View Quote
That still would not keep him from being able to build  rovers either if he closed the Tesla auto part.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#22]

You’re right about that. Big photovoltaic fields are miles across here and pump out area megawatts. You’d have like a 40% loss there due to distance from the sun. I’d like to see how they’d be installed remotely or by guys in spacesuits. Hell, show me a robot that can dig holes for the footers by itself and I’ll be impressed. I want to see Musk convince the space hippies that they need to launch a nuke plant on top of that rocket. They cried like little bitches about Cassini.

I’m not sure how easy it is to find water there to use for the nuke turbines. Even a closed loop system would require a lot of water. Too much to haul with you from Earth.
View Quote
Nuke power in space is not as great as you would think because of heat rejection. All waste heat has to be rejected via blackbody radiation at temperature to the fourth power. There is no convection in space.

You certainly don't want to use steam power in space... The radiators for a steam nuke plant would literally be larger and heavier than a solar array of the same power.

Nuke reactors in space need very high temps with glowing red radiators. Exotic gas cycles with thermocouples or thermionic converters. Thermodynamic efficiency only ends up in the high teens if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#23]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

Nuke power in space is not as great as you would think because of heat rejection. All waste heat has to be rejected via blackbody radiation at temperature to the fourth power. There is no convection in space.

You certainly don't want to use steam power in space... The radiators for a steam nuke plant would literally be larger and heavier than a solar array of the same power.

Nuke reactors in space need very high temps with glowing red radiators. Exotic gas cycles with thermocouples or thermionic converters. Thermodynamic efficiency only ends up in the high teens if you're lucky.
View Quote
Reactors for on the planet itself?? Already being developed and soon to be ready pretty much and will be going.

http://discovermagazine.com/2019/march/nasas-powerful-plan

https://www.space.com/nuclear-reactor-for-mars-outpost-2022.html
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Reactors for on the planet itself?? Already being developed and soon to be ready pretty much and will be going.

http://discovermagazine.com/2019/march/nasas-powerful-plan

https://www.space.com/nuclear-reactor-for-mars-outpost-2022.html
View Quote
On the planet itself is much different, because you can convect the waste heat away, and on a Mars colony that waste heat would be useful.

I'm just talking about space, inside of Jupiter solar is easier and cheaper. The soace-rated version of that kilopower weighs 1500kg, a 10 kW solar panel would weigh like 40kg.

...outside of the asteroid belt solar gets pretty useless though.

The real niche for nuclear will be propulsion
I'd love to see a nuclear salt water rocket fire in space someday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Indeed!
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
well one... Perchlorates are water soluble... so you just wash then out of the soil.
and even if he didn't do that... They aren't anything like instantly deadly... so while it wouldn't be that healthy for him... it beats dying from starvation.
Air is no problem as you can process that from the co2 atmosphere.  Plus the place was made to support more than just 1 person so there's lots of supplies.

The tarp is the 1 Magic tech of the movie and book.  It's got incredible strength and radiation shielding properties.
And the Wind strength is the biggest error of the book and Movie.  Mars' strongest wind gusts could only just barely shift a piece of paper off a table.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

People have been saying Tesla will collapse soon for how many years now? I used to be skeptical of Tesla for all the nay sayers here, now I’m skeptical of the nay sayers here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

Indeed, though it's on a almost first come first served basis once you install anti-ICBM satellites, orbit is the ultimate high ground, once you control the orbitals, nuclear deterant becomes reliant upon vulnerable surface skimming cruise missiles and strategic bombers again.
Meanwhile the side that has control of the orbitals can launch missiles, bombs, forces and more from orbit to anywhere they please.
Who needs airbases in semi-hostile nations when you can drop a rod from space or land troops anywhere not too flammable in 45 minutes or less?

Someone mentioned you can't hide a satellite and subs are better for stealth and that's what's needed for MAD, that's only half true.

You need to either be hard to find, or hard to reach.  subs are stealthy, but are easy to kill once you find them.
Most Satellites are visible, but are damn hard to kill from earth, you need to use a much much more expensive rocket than the satellite you're trying to kill. Hitting a satellite in fixed orbit is hard enough to kill, nevermind one with active counter measures to overcome.

Mark my words.
The First Nation to have global anti-ICBM satellite coverage will become the first hyper power.

As soon as SPACEX begins pumping out super heavies and starships we should take full advantage of the new tech while the rest of the world is still trying to catch up and take control the orbitals.

We're already playing worlds policeman, but we are unable to do much to stop the current crop of nuclear armed bullies. If we can control the orbitals, we can make enforcing world stability easier than ever before. It won't be a big deal if Iran develops ICBMs, we'll just blow them apart before they reach apex. If China wants to put up a "weather" satellite, it'll have to pass inspection. And if they misbehave in say the South China Sea, we can wipe out their navel forces in minutes with conventional and knetic weapons.

We should take the orbitals as soon as it's possible while other nations are paying thousands per kilogram to orbit while spacex's super heavy can get us there for low hundreds.
View Quote
Reminds me of the book Silver Tower.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RX-78-2] [#29]
Just watched a recap of the Starship press conference. Elon said they can get a Raptor engine done in 8-10 days. Nuts!

SpaceX is so badass. I think this is finally the turning point of human space exploration.

Great times to be alive
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
That is the beauty of Mars - you don't need to MINE for fuel - most of it is in the atmosphere.  Methane and liquid Oxygen make a very practical fuel for launching back from Mars.  The atmosphere contains everything but the hydrogen, which makes up around 5% of the total, so you bring that with you and save 95% of the mass needed.  A few compressors, some chemistry and a solid power supply (small nuclear reactor is probably the best for this) and you can manufacture your fuel and oxidizer for both a return trip as well as for internal combustion engines for surface exploration.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chairborne] [#31]
Originally Posted By Mike_c130:
That is the beauty of Mars - you don't need to MINE for fuel - most of it is in the atmosphere.  Methane and liquid Oxygen make a very practical fuel for launching back from Mars.  The atmosphere contains everything but the hydrogen, which makes up around 5% of the total, so you bring that with you and save 95% of the mass needed.  A few compressors, some chemistry and a solid power supply (small nuclear reactor is probably the best for this) and you can manufacture your fuel and oxidizer for both a return trip as well as for internal combustion engines for surface exploration.

Mike
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mike_c130:

Mike
I don’t think you can run an internal combustion engine in the Martian atmosphere unless you’re providing both the oxidizer and the fuel, not enough oxygen.  If you’re doing that you might as well use a fuel cell to power electric motors, or just use a good old battery electric vehicle charged by the nuke reactor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I know it's probably exceptionally close held information, but I cannot wait to see the design for Starship's quarters and common areas.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I know it's probably exceptionally close held information, but I cannot wait to see the design for Starship's quarters and common areas.
View Quote
Imagine 250 pounds of shit in a 100 pound sack. No matter how stylish and dressed up the fantasyland artists renderings are, space and weight are critical, and quarters will look like this:

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Imagine 250 pounds of shit in a 100 pound sack. No matter how stylish and dressed up the fantasyland artists renderings are, space and weight are critical, and quarters will look like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64912/7BC77130-FD97-459C-90AE-EA4865D287E3-1107874.jpg
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64912/7BC77130-FD97-459C-90AE-EA4865D287E3-1107874.jpg
Haha yeah things will be tight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#36]

View Quote
Thats the steerage Starship.  I imagine the VIP/First Class Starships will be slightly roomier
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#37]
Please disregard the source (cnn business :/) but after the presentation Elon fired back at Jim Bridenstine from NASA over his tweet about SPaceX and the Crew Dragon.  Pretty much a shots fired incident

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/09/29/elon-musk-starship-interview-orig.cnn/video/playlists/business-elon-musk/

about 55 seconds in to the piece..
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Starship has more pressurized volume than a 747, or the ISS, if I am to believe the internet.

For 100 people. Tight, but not even 1/4 as full as a 747.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#39]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Thats the steerage Starship.  I imagine the VIP/First Class Starships will be slightly roomier
View Quote
If I were colonizing Mars I would want a minimum of crew and a maximum of food.

Enclosed greenhouses, fed with rivers of fermented human shit. Be sure to ferment it first or else you will be at risk of all sorts of cross contamination. Perhaps the fermentation tanks could be used as reactor heat sinks. I know there's one reactor in the US which is cooled with treated sewage water instead of river water and I seem to recall hearing that Hemp is one of, if not the most efficient plant for turning carbon dioxide into oxygen.

Fermentation process also produces methane gas...

In The Expanse they talk about rugged bands of cheese smugglers.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And what happens when Martian conscripts get their hands on dairy products for the first time in their lives.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#40]
Also.

Synthetic diamond moderated molten salt reactors. Tougher than graphite and more compact.

Perhaps build heat exchangers into solar panel arrays?

Over time colonies could transfer perfected MSR technologies to Earth along with U233 and various... Other substances. Shipping radioactive "wastes" into space in exchange for fuel. It will be an interesting environment. Failure to comply with safety procedures will probably kill you PDQ. But there will be no regulations, at first.

Also.

Anyone can put a monkey in a can.

Attachment Attached File

The hard part is probably going to be creating an environment where the monkey doesn't lose its damn mind in the vastness of space. Yes I know there have been long term stays on Mir and ISS. But those people are astronauts who could look out a window anytime and see beautiful blue Earth spinning beneath them. What's it going to look like when people besides the creme de la creme of humanity get flung into a vacuum?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Starship has more pressurized volume than a 747, or the ISS, if I am to believe the internet.

For 100 people. Tight, but not even 1/4 as full as a 747.
View Quote
The entire design has changed so many times in 2 years I’m not going to hold my breath to see a 100 cubic meter living space. It’ll fill up pretty fast with support structure and life support gear, if nothing else. The Mars expedition version might be decently roomy, the cattle car version? Take a look at crew dragon.

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#42]
None of it matters if their current crew project doesnt get off the ground.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View Quote
Bridenstine is that you?

They will have it launched soon enough. Hopefully without anymore mishaps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPony] [#44]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View Quote
All the hardware is complete and they have proven it in recent testing - yes since the accident. The abort rockets and Parachutes have both passed recent testing - in fact the parachutes were so successful and exceeded NASA's parameters so much they are rewriting the book on them. They are simply waiting on NASA reviews pretty much now. In 1 month the approved new hardware goes into the Dragon Uncrewed module and 2 months into crewed and they just wait for NASA to give the green light.

From Space X point of view they really have not much left to do with Dragon.

Abort rockets..

https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1172215123777216512?lang=en

Abort Parachute system

SpaceX Crew Dragon Pad Abort Parachute Test Successful

Also, even if Crew Dragon for some reason is completely cancelled it has nothing to do with Starship, other than cost them some money short term.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:26:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#45]
That's one big bitch

Click date for video
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
That's one big bitch

Click date for video
View Quote
I can't wait to see that thing lift off...
It's going to be spectacular whether it's has a perfect launch or blows up.

Any idea when it's supposed to make an attempt ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Header tank before it was installed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

I can't wait to see that thing lift off...
It's going to be spectacular whether it's has a perfect launch or blows up.

Any idea when it's supposed to make an attempt ?
View Quote
Late this month at the earliest.  IIRC Oct 17th is the soonest they are allowed to launch based on permitting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#49]
What was the sci-fi novel where they made the ship for Mars out of old tanker trailers?

This is starting to look similar.

And it's awesome.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Just watched this vid. Elon said there are 4 Tesla 100kwh batteries driving 4 Model 3 motors which drive hydraulic pumps for the fins. Says in MK3 version, thinks they are going to try doing away with the hydraulics and just have the fins electrically powered by the motors.

A conversation with Elon Musk about Starship
Page / 469
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top