Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 474
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
This much lift is a strategic game-changer in the military sense.  Like Billy Mitchell game-changing.  We can simply overwhelm any nations defense with inert tungsten rods and then bomb it to ash at our leisure.
View Quote
You could also use SS as a single stage to send over troops ballistically. A dozen of them could send ~1,000 rapid reaction troops anywhere in a half hour (Space Marines?).

You could lob a single 150 tonne rod too... the ultimate bunker buster.

would release a quarter kiloton of energy.

Carriers would be obsolete. Imagine a 150 tonne KE vehicle that shotguns itself into 150 pieces right before impact (again, each one with 10x the energy of a 16-inch gun)

Fucking pure Heinlein shit right here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
yep its insane.

Questions is how to make money with all that capacity...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have such a freedom-boner.  The Q and A is incredible.  The flight rates he is talking is beyond belief!  He is talking exceeding the system tonnage of the Space Shuttle Program over thirty years in days.  He is talking one and a half million TONS to orbit in a year.  A thousand times more with ten starships than the total lift capacity of all boosters in current operation on the Earth combined.
yep its insane.

He also said the booster could fly 20 times a day and manned flights in a year on Starship
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

You could also use SS as a single stage to send over troops ballistically. A dozen of them could send ~1,000 rapid reaction troops anywhere in a half hour (Space Marines?).

Carriers would be obsolete. Imagine a 150 tonne KE vehicle that shotguns itself into 150 pieces right before impact (again, each one with 10x the energy of a 16-inch gun)

View Quote
It's a good thing that we have a Space Force now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
hmm just checked up on the boring company.... they completed their 1.4 test tunnel for only 10 million bucks... union labor watch out...
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
For starters, with that much cheap lift, the Air Force could buy them for bombers.  Strike anywhere in minutes.
View All Quotes

yep its insane.

For starters, with that much cheap lift, the Air Force could buy them for bombers.  Strike anywhere in minutes.
Counter strike is more fun
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]

I can see their shopping list being drawn up as we speak.
View Quote
Fucking Space Marines bro.

The Emperor Protects...

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
60 degree angle for re-entry - no re-entry burn and flat ring construction...  Impressive !   With all that payload capacity, I suspect there will be a Space X recreational and/or refueling space station or moon station.

Musk said the Starship could launch from the Moon and land on Earth without the super heavy booster.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris_in_TX:

It's a good thing that we have a Space Force now.
USMil...  you mean we could actually have ODST?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#12]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
60 degree angle for re-entry - no re-entry burn and flat ring construction...  Impressive !   With all that payload capacity, I suspect there will be a Space X recreational and/or refueling space station or moon station.

Musk said the Starship could launch from the Moon and land on Earth without the super heavy booster.
View Quote
Moon and Mars have much less gravity.

You need about 9,400m/s of delta V to get into orbit from Earth. (True number is 7.8km/s, but Earth atomsphere and gravity losses make it higher, plus atmospheric engines have lower ISP)

You only need about 1,730m/s to get into orbit from the moon, and 3,800m/s to get into mars orbit.

Starship can give a ~150 tonne payload a dV of ~6km/s.

Super heavy booster can add about 3.4 to that and land.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheRocketmac:

USMil...  you mean we could actually have ODST?  
View Quote

Still SSDG, just StarShip Door Gunner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Hell, keep your counter strike off world in deep space.  The ultimate untouchable boomer.
View Quote
ToT is a thing but soon that will be too. MAD is dead. You can’t get more destabilizing than that.

Well, except our tictacs but that’s still in the initial ‘leak’ phase.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#15]
116 MPH Tesla / Boring Company Tunnel ride. 21 june 2019
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
This much lift is a strategic game-changer in the military sense.  Like Billy Mitchell game-changing.  We can simply overwhelm any nations defense with inert tungsten rods and then bomb it to ash at our leisure.

Basically this

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]

~1,000 rapid reaction troops anywhere in a half hour (Space Marines?).
View Quote
Spaceborne Rangers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
The thing is even if he is off by a factor of ten in his flight rate estimates, it will still dwarf everything we have done in space to date.
View Quote
With Starship, A number of you can count on one hand would outdo the entire world put together....
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Ok people, read that fucking chart and see why shooting nuke waste into the sun is beyond retarded.  Far easier to shoot it into deep space or just let it crash into Jupiter.
View Quote
440+km/s is easy
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
eat crap, Bridenstine

View Quote
Indeed lol. I just cannot wrap my head around how fast he says they will be building these ships and engines. If the testing goes even halfway decently we are def gonna be on the moon and mars quickly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

Thats crazy, but I feel like it would be pretty cramped with 100 people in there
View Quote
That will be the Super Heavy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Definitely transport for certain.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BigPony:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigPony:

Thats crazy, but I feel like it would be pretty cramped with 100 people in there
Just as the ancient prophesies foretold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:28:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCV_117] [#25]

View All Quotes

My body is ready

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Manned flights next year

I feel that is extremely optimistic.
View Quote
I agree.  I suspect there will be multiple in flight failures based upon the Falcon 9 history.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#28]

You don't need the booster for p2p... I would think that would be of interest to the military, with a dozen of them your could transport a thousand troops anywhere on earth in under an hour.
View Quote
Pretty sure thats why we are starting space force. And its not exactly a new idea. All Elon has to do is draw a big green weenie on it and the space marines will buy 10 ;).
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

330-380 depending on nozzle and altitude.
View Quote
Not bad for being powered by meth.

Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
I agree.  I suspect there will be multiple in flight failures based upon the Falcon 9 history.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Manned flights next year

I feel that is extremely optimistic.
I think the Falcon mission success rate is around 98%.
Nasa lost forty percent of the shuttle fleet, and it was a miracle there weren't more shuttle losses.

Saturn five flew 13 times with two flights suffering from 'pogo' oscillations, both severe enough to cause engine shutdowns.

Proton K and M are on 89% and 90% (vastly more missions for K though, with consequently more failures).

Its all moot at this point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#31]

440+km/s is easy
View Quote
Well, that's not exactly right, you aren't putting that waste into a sun orbit...
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Jon101:

I think the Falcon mission success rate is around 98%.
Nasa lost forty percent of the shuttle fleet, and it was a miracle there weren't more shuttle losses.

Saturn five flew 13 times with two flights suffering from 'pogo' oscillations, both severe enough to cause engine shutdowns.

Proton K and M are on 89% and 90% (vastly more missions for K though, with consequently more failures).

Its all moot at this point.
View Quote
Yeah, I think while there will probably be a failure or two, and maybe spectacular ones, SpaceX has learned a lot from the early days of blowing up rockets, from NASA and their own experience.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m curious to see what kind of redundancies they plan on installing for manned missions. To the moon isn’t that big of a deal since the orbit is pretty much the same. However, trips to Mars has to hit orbital windows when the Earth and Mars align in their orbits that are like 18 months apart. So once you’re out, you’re cut off from resupply until the next 18 month orbital window opens up.

Concepts like mining Mars to make return fuel seems sketchy at the first run. Mining in spacesuits and minimal infrastructure seems difficult to nearly impossible. I don't see them hauling a boring machine on their first trip or ever considering their size and weight, they’d need to be built there.

So sending multiple Starships to stage in place seems like the only real safe solution. Parking return fuel ships in orbit for the return home flight. Then do you send just one? Or do you send two just Incase Murphy happens and shit gets fucked up. Provisions will have to be sent to plan for a worst case scenario where food production planet side doesn’t fly. Provisions would have to be trucked there or they’d be stuck on a space Vegan diet. With a vertical lift and landing system, it seems difficult to load and unload equipment. On Mars or the moon, there is no established landing pad with infrastructure present to assist. Imagine that big bastard launching from the dirt surface of the moon or Mars and the amount of debris that will be kicked up. So their little colony is going to have to be set aways a way from wherever they touch down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#38]

440 is just from low solar orbit to the suns surface.  For reference, getting to low earth orbit is around ten.
View Quote
Yeah I know how to read the chart. Moreover you dont need to do a hohmann transfer to plunk something into the sun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
submarines are a better deterrent. satellites cant hide.
View All Quotes
The fact they can't hide (yet) is the greater deterrent, particularly if parked in a geosynchronous orbit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Can too
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Hats why you just launch them from starships on CONUS.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

My body is ready

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334296/kinetic_bombardment_system_by_artraccoon_d8inhci-fullview_jpg-1106529.JPG
Indeed, though it’s on a almost first come first served basis once you install anti-ICBM satellites, orbit is the ultimate high ground, once you control the orbitals, nuclear deterant becomes reliant upon vulnerable surface skimming cruise missiles and strategic bombers again.
Meanwhile the side that has control of the orbitals can launch missiles, bombs, forces and more from orbit to anywhere they please.
Who needs airbases in semi-hostile nations when you can drop a rod from space or land troops anywhere not too flammable in 45 minutes or less?

Someone mentioned you can’t hide a satellite and subs are better for stealth and that’s what’s needed for MAD, that’s only half true.

You need to either be hard to find, or hard to reach.  subs are stealthy, but are easy to kill once you find them.
Most Satellites are visible, but are damn hard to kill from earth, you need to use a much much more expensive rocket than the satellite you’re trying to kill. Hitting a satellite in fixed orbit is hard enough to kill, nevermind one with active counter measures to overcome.

Mark my words.
The First Nation to have global anti-ICBM satellite coverage will become the first hyper power.

As soon as SPACEX begins pumping out super heavies and starships we should take full advantage of the new tech while the rest of the world is still trying to catch up and take control the orbitals.

We’re already playing worlds policeman, but we are unable to do much to stop the current crop of nuclear armed bullies. If we can control the orbitals, we can make enforcing world stability easier than ever before. It won’t be a big deal if Iran develops ICBMs, we’ll just blow them apart before they reach apex. If China wants to put up a “weather” satellite, it’ll have to pass inspection. And if they misbehave in say the South China Sea, we can wipe out their navel forces in minutes with conventional and knetic weapons.

We should take the orbitals as soon as it’s possible while other nations are paying thousands per kilogram to orbit while spacex’s super heavy can get us there for low hundreds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

Indeed, though it’s on a almost first come first served basis once you install anti-ICBM satellites, orbit is the ultimate high ground, once you control the orbitals, nuclear deterant becomes reliant upon vulnerable surface skimming cruise missiles and strategic bombers again.
Meanwhile the side that has control of the orbitals can launch missiles, bombs, forces and more from orbit to anywhere they please.
Who needs airbases in semi-hostile nations when you can drop a rod from space or land troops anywhere not too flammable in 45 minutes or less?

Someone mentioned you can’t hide a satellite and subs are better for stealth and that’s what’s needed for MAD, that’s only half true.

You need to either be hard to find, or hard to reach.  subs are stealthy, but are easy to kill once you find them.
Most Satellites are visible, but are damn hard to kill from earth, you need to use a much much more expensive rocket than the satellite you’re trying to kill. Hitting a satellite in fixed orbit is hard enough to kill, nevermind one with active counter measures to overcome.

Mark my words.
The First Nation to have global anti-ICBM satellite coverage will become the first hyper power.

As soon as SPACEX begins pumping out super heavies and starships we should take full advantage of the new tech while the rest of the world is still trying to catch up and take control the orbitals.

We’re already playing worlds policeman, but we are unable to do much to stop the current crop of nuclear armed bullies. If we can control the orbitals, we can make enforcing world stability easier than ever before. It won’t be a big deal if Iran develops ICBMs, we’ll just blow them apart before they reach apex. If China wants to put up a “weather” satellite, it’ll have to pass inspection. And if they misbehave in say the South China Sea, we can wipe out their navel forces in minutes with conventional and knetic weapons.

We should take the orbitals as soon as it’s possible while other nations are paying thousands per kilogram to orbit while spacex’s super heavy can get us there for low hundreds.
View Quote

We’re either there or close enough.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

View All Quotes

Mark my words.

China has freaked out publicly over it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

View Quote
All Russia’s new shit is designed to be resistant to SBI
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Mark my words.

View Quote
Controlling space resources will be an even bigger power booster. There is more resources up there than there are down here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Mark my words.

View All Quotes

My body is ready

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334296/kinetic_bombardment_system_by_artraccoon_d8inhci-fullview_jpg-1106529.JPG

Mark my words.

Couldn’t a laser take a satellite down?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

The gap between what they claim and the truth is sometimes pretty big though. All their bragging about hypersonic tech sounds like horseshit. MIRVs have always had the capability to maneuver.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#49]
Originally Posted By RX-78-2:

Couldn’t a laser take a satellite down?
View Quote
Honestly, using something like the new momentus space tugs to push a satellite out of orbit or spray paint onto it's solar panels would be better.

https://momentus.space/

The Space Force Should be clearing out space junk as practice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I really want to know if multiple starships or starship components could be linked into a Von Braun wheel.

I know that you'd lose the cost effectiveness due to non-reusability, but damn if we couldn't have a space station (or ship) with artificial gravity.

And could the Starships be arranged in a Falcon Heavy configuration for lifting some stupidly heavy shit?

(things I think about while driving)
Page / 474
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top