Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:

Do you know what a yard is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

they seriously underestimated the power of this thing.

if I'm google earthing this right, that van was over 400 yards away.

More like 1200+ ft.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/1273_starbase_NSF_JPG-2789941.JPG

Isn't a Yard kind of like a meter, but wrong?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
"As is standard procedure, the pad and surrounding area was cleared well in advance of the test, and we expect the road and beach near the pad to remain closed until tomorrow."

Is this to clean debris from that area?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
https://i.imgur.com/dTmO0MZ.jpg
View Quote

Nice. I like the heat shield ceiling tiles.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Do they know yet why they lost those engines on the way up, and what caused the ultimate loss of control failure?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuMjQoXWAAAQrG6?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Forget the rails - what’s in the road?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#6]

1200+ ft is over 400 yards  
View Quote

For some reason I read his post as 400 ft. Edited my post to sound less stupid and pedantic. lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang it I want one of those!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
View Quote

#metoo
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DstryrOfWrlds:
Back in ancient history I worked on a construction site rebuilding a water processing plant.

One of our tasks was to cut several 4' diameter holes in a 24" thick concrete wall.

To start the holes we used 20' long burners made of 2" copper tubing and burning oxygen/acetylene.

I imagine the slag created by those Raptors and being blown back into the rocket was a lot like that.  

View Quote

No doubt !
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#11]

#metoo
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:

#metoo

Same here.

Well, if we wind up building a fleet of more than a dozen of these things then there’s a distinct possibility that bits and pieces will become relatively easy to come by.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuMdFuaXoAIlJAe?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuMdFudWwAMlnlS?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

I figured they would float.
Souvenir hunters with boats are going to be out in full force, probably into the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuMjQoXWAAAQrG6?format=jpg&name=large

The section of roof that blew off the structure next to the hopper?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaymac426] [#14]
When's the next Boca Chica launch? 10 hour drive from DFW? Might be worth a drive down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:

Narrator: It was a mistake.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:
flashback

Narrator: It was a mistake.
This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Going back through to see how bad the heatshield got fucked up. This pic has at least 3 missing. Not too bad. Didn't see a steady steam of them through max q or anything so maybe just a handful at launch?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw lots of articles from the news today that are kinda negative to SpaceX about how it was a failure.

It's like the media is turning on Elon since he bought Twitter.

For you non engineer types out there. This was a hugely successful launch. First goal is to not blow up on the tower. They actually cleared the tower with multiple failures and it would have made it to space if it wasn't for the separation not working. Lesser rockets would have blown up on the tower or shortly after clearing.

The amount of forces that rocket experienced and still managed to stay together until they blew it up intentionally is damn impressive.

They gained tons of data on this test that will only help them improve moving forward.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jaymac426:
When's the next Boca Chica launch? 10 hour drive from DFW? Might be worth a drive down.
View Quote

two weeks

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Too soon?

Expect maybe Oct/Nov
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_of_Orion] [#20]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
Do they know yet why they lost those engines on the way up, and what caused the ultimate loss of control failure?
View Quote
Nothing more than speculation at this point.

This booster had early production engines... back when they were more temperamental than the new ones being produced.  So... any number of internal engine issues could have been the cause of some of the engines going out.

Debris strikes from the ground coming apart could have caused some engine problems.

The Hydraulic Power Units which control the thrust vectoring and probably also the hooks holding Starship on top of the booster... seem to have come apart at different times during the flight.  
They could have caused other engines to go out... or they could have come apart due to engine failures sending bits into them...  Or from ground debris strikes... or aerodynamic stresses... who knows?
But once they were gone then they would lose control of the rocket as thrust vectoring would cease functioning. If they also controlled the hooks... then they also would lose the ability to separate Starship from the Booster.

Subsequent boosters have already switched to Electrical systems for Thrust vectoring and separation systems.  

In essence this Booster and Starship were already obsolete.  The design has moved on.  Their purpose was to test ground systems and the early parts of flight... and if they got lucky the later parts of flight.  It succeeded in its purpose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

What's that Pic from?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By memsu:
Saw lots of articles from the news today that are kinda negative to SpaceX about how it was a failure.

For you non engineer types out there. This was a hugely successful launch. First goal is to not blow up on the tower. They actually cleared the tower with multiple failures and it would have made it to space if it wasn't for the separation not working. Lesser rockets would have blown up on the tower or shortly after clearing.

The amount of forces that rocket experienced and still managed to stay together until they blew it up intentionally is damn impressive.

They gained tons of data on this test that will only help them improve moving forward.
View Quote
They turned on him before he bought twitter.

He is the quintessential immigrant success story and example of what makes America Great.  Since they hate America... and he realized they are all hypocrites quite some time ago... they now hate him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I thought on arfcom, anything further away than 21 feet was measured in rifle distance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

What's that Pic from?
View All Quotes

What's that Pic from?

control center near Starbase

I think it's this place
25°57'56.51"N  97°14'39.44"W
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]

two weeks

View Quote
Damn, too soon for my work schedule. Is there a link somewhere for summer launches?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Too soon?

Expect maybe Oct/Nov
View Quote
That's better, someone's yankin' my chain...
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

Too soon?

Expect maybe Oct/Nov

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AJE:

There are a lot of a) Elon haters and b) fucking idiots out there, and a lot of them like to comment on shit they don't know about.
View Quote

I don't love him and I don't hate him. I wanted to see this launch complete its mission, even in it's final iteration I wanted it to be successful.
Elon owns this one IMHO, he pushed too hard and I imagine against heavy opposition within his closest team members.

And now his response is "everything is old and outdated so we decided to let it go"
Really ? That's a huge cop out for something that's about 2 years old, he is just trying to cover his own ass and push the fail blame on somebody else and not own it.
Cutting corners bit him in the ass today, HARD. But he will pick up the pieces and move on because he want's to and has to at this point, he just has too much invested in it to quit.

He should have listened to his seasoned engineers instead of firing them and bringing on new guys with bigger and better ideas that pitch a fit because triple A didn't show up in time to change their flat tire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By realwar:
So did the thrust on launch kickback and destroy some of the engines on launch?
View Quote
Oh My God.

I think I finally understand everything I saw from Isla Blanca today and Boca Chica yesterday.

Starship is a battleship.

Aerospace means building as lightweight as possible. More so for rockets.

This rocket isn't aluminum, it's armored with 300 series stainless.  

This thing isn't going to explore, it's going to conquer or invade or God Help Us, defend against impending invasion.

It's built to fight, maneuver and take damage.

They purposely underbuilt the launch pad so they could test the robustness of the booster against concrete projectiles. Shooting at it would be too obvious and blow the mission.

It handled concrete like a champ. It can lose 6 engines and charge into the fight.

The starship was never going to be separated from the booster.

SpaceX just showed the world and the entire solar system that they can do fucking back flips in atmo.

They can take damage, run and then turn the forward guns on a pursuing enemy and do it in atmo.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: memsu] [#31]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

I don't love him and I don't hate him. I wanted to see this launch complete its mission, even in it's final iteration I wanted it to be successful.
Elon owns this one IMHO, he pushed too hard and I imagine against heavy opposition within his closest team members.

And now his response is "everything is old and outdated so we decided to let it go"
Really ? That's a huge cop out for something that's about 2 years old, he is just trying to cover his own ass and push the fail blame on somebody else and not own it.
Cutting corners bit him in the ass today, HARD. But he will pick up the pieces and move on because he want's to and has to at this point, he just has too much invested in it to quit.

He should have listened to his seasoned engineers instead of firing them and bringing on new guys with bigger and better ideas that pitch a fit because triple A didn't show up in time to change their flat tire.
View All Quotes

There are a lot of a) Elon haters and b) fucking idiots out there, and a lot of them like to comment on shit they don't know about.

Ever consider it was more important to get the launch done. Then while they repair the launch facility or redesign the launch tower the engineers will have the data they need to continue work on the launch vehicle.

That's how Elon works. NASA would never test equipment to failure like Space X does. However, the Space X way is the right way because you'll get failures in things you didn't intend to then can address them. NASA would spend 100X as much tax payer money and would have a malfunction and blown up rocket with valuable payload on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Where is that "that's tarded sir" meme when I need it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Ever consider it was more important to get the launch done. Then while they repair the launch facility or redesign the launch tower the engineers will have the data they need to continue work on the launch vehicle.

That's how Elon works. NASA would never test equipment to failure like Space X does. However, the Space X way is the right way because you'll get failures in things you didn't intend to then can address them. NASA would have a malfunction and blown up rocket with valuable payload on it.
View All Quotes

That's how Elon works. NASA would never test equipment to failure like Space X does. However, the Space X way is the right way because you'll get failures in things you didn't intend to then can address them. NASA would have a malfunction and blown up rocket with valuable payload on it.

SpaceX is pushing the limits with new tech, NASA is still using 50 year old tech.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

lol…you act like there was ever a chance of them recovering it on the first integrated flight.  They are following the same rapid iteration concept they used on Falcon. That failed over and over up front, lots of people called them idiots at the time and now they’re the benchmark for reliable & cost effective launches.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The main thing I hope Elon takes away from this is the folly of not having a flame diverter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Oh My God.

I think I finally understand everything I saw from Isla Blanca today and Boca Chica yesterday.

This thing isn't going to explore, it's going to conquer or invade or God Help Us, defend against impending invasion.

They purposely underbuilt the launch pad so they could test the robustness of the booster against concrete projectiles. Shooting at it would be too obvious and blow the mission.

It handled concrete like a champ. It can lose 6 engines and charge into the fight.

SpaceX just showed the world and the entire solar system that they can do fucking back flips in atmo.

They can take damage, run and then turn the forward guns on a pursuing enemy and do it in atmo.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Originally Posted By realwar:
So did the thrust on launch kickback and destroy some of the engines on launch?
Oh My God.

Somebody grab one of those recovered tiles and shoot it with something large, maybe it’s really made to withstand anti-armor projectiles and it’s heat shielding properties are a side effect. Maybe the design is to protect from lasers or plasma-based weapons.

Jokes, but I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if true.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, too soon for my work schedule. Is there a link somewhere for summer launches?
View Quote

It could be many months.  Give it time to determine what happened and what they will do to the launch structure.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#38]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
The main thing I hope Elon takes away from this is the folly of not having a flame diverter.
View Quote

There’s no flame trench under the pad?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Lol

It made it through max q thats substantially better than not blowing up on the pad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#40]

There's no flame trench under the pad?
View All Quotes

There's no flame trench under the pad?
There is now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

there's a crater under the "pad" now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Well, now you have cancer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#44]
What’s the logic behind the methane?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Based on what I saw today of the damage around the area from the launch if it ever blew up on the pad it would probably be like a small nuke.

It would probably level everything around the launch facility.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

How are they going to launch a return from Mars or the Moon if ground shrapnel is a problem as the rocket will be sitting on the surface, although it will just be a Starship.  

In the Everyday Astronaut stream they had to take cover inside because they were getting covered in dust, at 5 miles away.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By couchlord:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

You may have the crux of the failures identified yet not having a flame diverter and water deluge system has to go back a year or more.  See Musk tweet about it a page or so back.

I am not a launch structures engineer but it just seemed sketchy early on.  I would like to see unbiased engineering data that a water deluge system alone will solve this issue without trenches to get the flames away from that area.  Even if I saw it personally I would reject the data and implement trenches as well.  SpaceX has done incredible things but sometimes they make bone-headed decisions.

I have been an advocate of a flame trench and water deluge since they started building the OLM and that's no secret. Even got flamed for it here several times.
That's OK though, thick skin and sticking to my guns hasn't hurt me much.

How are they going to launch a return from Mars or the Moon if ground shrapnel is a problem as the rocket will be sitting on the surface, although it will just be a Starship.  

In the Everyday Astronaut stream they had to take cover inside because they were getting covered in dust, at 5 miles away.  

Vacuum helps the dispersal.

They won’t be landing on the same spot twice

Starship is SSTO all the way to earth if full.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
What's the logic behind the methane?
View Quote
It's easier to deal with than hydrogen and can be made in situ on Mars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

This. [But, I saw..] Doom and gloom against Elon [Twitter owner] sells, the mission objectives be damned.

The article writers can't even spell correctly, or use proper grammar, let alone the the editors proofread for proper grammar [and even for proper spelling at a grade school level, nor proper punctuation].

If an English teacher (author..) can't spell or punctuate correctly, they get no leeway in rocket science, IMHO.

(My post not withstanding, I can fuck up now and again, after a few beers. They type words for a living!)

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Very important point.  That thing was continuing to accelerate even down several engines and survived max Q with no apparent difficulties.  Yes, the separation failed, and they missed an opportunity to collect data from the rest of their planned flight profile, but it is a short-sighted stretch to call this evolution a failure.
View Quote
When I was looking at that thing with binoculars and I saw the thing going wild, the first thought in my head was that it was coming right back at us and running would be of no good use.

It wasn't a rocket launch. It was an airshow.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR4U:

It doesn't have hydrazine or anything like that I don't think. Methane is the fuel used.
Page / 497
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top