Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRdp1tyUUF0
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

This doesn't surprise me. They probably need to rebuild the whole thing based on the pics that came out yesterday. Foundation is fucked.
View Quote

foundation for the OLM right?

so excavate and replace rigjt?

cost in $ and time?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By scubadown:
My new avatar.

View Quote

In another video it looked like a second of the three innermost engines was failing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobradriver] [#9]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Starhopper has seen some shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Originally Posted By Chokey:
more from Starship Gazer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuWCUlLWYAEK_3W?format=jpg&name=large
Starhopper has seen some shit.

It reminds me of the poor houses across the street/south of the trailer park after Hurricane Ian.

The flying debris field from the older model trailers coming apart destroyed the side of the homes that faced it. Holes punched in roofs, garage doors, gable roof ends...you name it.

I'll take a swag that almost all of the damage is from flying debris. It doesn't look like anything really melted on the launch mount. Got hot? Yes....

ETA...I'll say this...After looking at all the pics, with the sheer amount of debris flug around, I'm even more impressed they only lost the engines they did and didn't have the thing end up in a giant flaming ball right at the pad.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#11]
Props to NSF for the pics.

Still sticking with 1 year + until launch (that's without prolonged enviro-weenie-lawsuits),
just based on the tanks in the pictures that need replacing.

State officials would inspect them and make that call for sure. Can't put gasses under pressure esp.
flammable gases under pressure in those tanks. Hell a small gouge or dent on a grill propane tank is enough to get rejected for fill legally. That farm took a long time to build out of rolls of steel from scratch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NwG:

Yeah. July in the gulf is usually disappointingly warm.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NwG:
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
Have a really hard time believing July water temps wouldn't be at least in the low 80's.

Hurricanes can do some weird things, but that sounds extreme.

What year?

Yeah. July in the gulf is usually disappointingly warm.
Like "pee in the pool" warm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any idea where the debris is showing up? I will be down there in about a month and intend to do some beach combing
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:
Anyone have any idea where the debris is showing up? I will be down there in about a month and intend to do some beach combing
View Quote
E-bay?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It is all just more data - I think we have a start of understanding what a launch pad KaBoom might do.  Launch pad needs a redesign.  Looks like we might need a better barrier system - say a bunch of shipping containers filled with sand - maybe something more - some sandbags on the outside, maybe some Hesco barriers.

The real issues is most of this damage was not just caused by a launch, but a rapid unplanned disassembly of the launch pad - which basically resulted in it going midevel on the surroundings (think about an extended segue attack of thrown rocks).

So replace launch pad (with something that does not turn into shrapnel, has flame diverters, water system, etc...).  Replace tanks with something lower - raise blast barrier between them and the pad.  Done, now launch again.
---
Water table is less of an issue with water, and more of float.  You can dig down and put in a huge swimming pool - but if you empty that pool, it will want to float like a cement battleship.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Ok I'm listening. Please elaborate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

Completely different vehicles and not remotely comparable.

Ok I'm listening. Please elaborate.
You want me to elaborate on how Starship is different from F9? What do I look like, wikipedia?

But seriously. Vehicle weights, propellant weights, burn rate, etc all make for a different rocket equation. Starship/Super Heavy stages earlier than F9. It then does a boost back and skips the reentry burn. And Starship tackles a larger portion of the velocity. I read somewhere that separation is 40-50 km but I'd take that with a grain of salt for now. That said, MECO/stage separation was scheduled for T+2:49 which is around when the vehicle started to flip at approx 39km. That puts it in the same ballpark, even with lost engines.
You aren't going to glean much of value trying to compare it to F9.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#17]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:

water system
etc...).  
View Quote

The enviro-psychos don't like this.
God forbid a fish might die!

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Props to NSF for the pics.

Still sticking with 1 year + until launch (that's without prolonged enviro-weenie-lawsuits),
just based on the tanks in the pictures that need replacing.

State officials would inspect them and make that call for sure. Can't put gasses under pressure esp.
flammable gases under pressure in those tanks. Hell a small gouge or dent on a grill propane tank is enough to get rejected for fill legally. That farm took a long time to build out of rolls of steel from scratch.
View Quote

Most of the damaged tanks were just water some nitrogen.

If they are in a hurry they can just buy more premade tanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The SpaceX Starship "minivan" damage inspection
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#20]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Most of the damaged tanks were just water some nitrogen.

If they are in a hurry they can just buy more premade tanks
View Quote

True.
That's actually what they had to do when the big gse methane tanks in the farm failed inspection/did not meet regulations and got turned into water tanks instead.
They had to buy a bunch of smaller premade ones.
Definitely want to be at the next launch sooner than later, but not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpixYZYznc
View Quote

That van has never been more valuable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

View Quote

Famous all over the world:

Car gets hit by debris and engulfed in smoke during SpaceX launch
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
E-bay?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
E-bay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266230527087?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=PuXbd9CoRXe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=4f3somTzQYC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295639955790?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpGMgCFoT7e&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=4f3somTzQYC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
You want me to elaborate on how Starship is different from F9? What do I look like, wikipedia?

But seriously. Vehicle weights, propellant weights, burn rate, etc all make for a different rocket equation. Starship/Super Heavy stages earlier than F9. It then does a boost back and skips the reentry burn. And Starship tackles a larger portion of the velocity. I read somewhere that separation is 40-50 km but I'd take that with a grain of salt for now. That said, MECO/stage separation was scheduled for T+2:49 which is around when the vehicle started to flip at approx 39km. That puts it in the same ballpark, even with lost engines.

View Quote

T+2:49 may have been appropriate if the rocket was performing at its projected numbers. It was not. It was WAY down on speed and altitude and struggling to get even close to there. There was no "flip" maneuver planned other than an attitude change for stage separation.
You are not going to glean much value from a failure that started before the rocket cleared the tower, it was doomed as soon as it went full power and did not recover from that point on.

But hey, a test flight that went from sub orbital and a boost back and recovery landing with chopsticks grabbing it and a Starship landing burn planned to softly land in the ocean off the coast of Hawaii that is deemed the most successful launch in the history because it cleared the launch pad without blowing up is claimed to be a giant success is what you have been sold and are buying it is up to you.

This is Elon's most expensive failure in the space industry to date, and the cost of it has not even begun to see the light of day, and it's getting worse.

It's not a cartoon, it's not a CGI animation, it's what happens in real life and real time, no matter how much you want the cartoon to play out, it happened.
It's not a video game where you can reset and respawn in an instant, and it's not going to be fixed in one or two months.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#26]

T+2:49 may have been appropriate if the rocket was performing at its projected numbers. It was not. It was WAY down on speed and altitude and struggling to get even close to there. There was no "flip" maneuver planned other than an attitude change for stage separation.
You are not going to glean much value from a failure that started before the rocket cleared the tower, it was doomed as soon as it went full power and did not recover from that point on.

But hey, a test flight that went from sub orbital and a boost back and recovery landing with chopsticks grabbing it and a Starship landing burn planned to softly land in the ocean off the coast of Hawaii that is deemed the most successful launch in the history because it cleared the launch pad without blowing up is claimed to be a giant success is what you have been sold and are buying it is up to you.

This is Elon's most expensive failure in the space industry to date, and the cost of it has not even begun to see the light of day, and it's getting worse.

It's not a cartoon, it's not a CGI animation, it's what happens in real life and real time, no matter how much you want the cartoon to play out, it happened.
It's not a video game where you can reset and respawn in an instant, and it's not going to be fixed in one or two months.
View Quote

If you plan on being that condescending you might want to try and be accurate. The plan wasn’t for the booster to be recovered…it was going to the bottom of the ocean…the only question was how many pieces it was in as it sank.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#27]

If you plan on being that condescending you might want to try and be accurate. The plan wasn’t for the booster to be recovered…it was going to the bottom of the ocean…the only question was how many pieces it was in as it sank.
View Quote

Well that's precisely my point. Every plan for this launch was constantly downgraded up until a few days before the launch, right down to "if it clears the pad it will a resounding success" and get everybody to cheer.
I guess it worked on some, just didn't work with me.

The booster is in about a million pieces and laying at the bottom of the ocean floor if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about it .

I could just imagine what would be posted here if this happened to the Artemis launch.

Hate the player and not the game, right ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Well that's precisely my point. Every plan for this launch was constantly downgraded up until a few days before the launch, right down to "if it clears the pad it will a resounding success" and get everybody to cheer.

The booster is in about a million pieces and laying at the bottom of the ocean floor if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about it .

I could just imagine what would be posted here if this happened to the Artemis launch.
View All Quotes

I don’t feel any way about…but I also know that success and failure isn’t always counted in dollars.

I don’t see this test being much different than the early stages of Falcon, when internet qualified rocket surgeons said it wouldn’t work and SpaceX would be bankrupt in no time. We all know how that worked out.

You seem to think you have all the answers though….I’m sure SpaceX would love to get your resume.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, we don't have the "before" pictures, do we? Just saying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
The SpaceX announcers mentioned that SpaceX has a "responsibility" to locate and at least attempt to retrieve the wreckage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
That's an awesome shot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

That thing was a piece of shit BEFORE it got stove in in the back.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Nick
View All Quotes

Nick

at least it still drives

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Nick
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#37]

at least it still drives

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuWIR_sXgAghiLz?format=jpg&name=large
View All Quotes

Nick

at least it still drives

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuWIR_sXgAghiLz?format=jpg&name=large
LMAO-not terrible, not great.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Nick
View All Quotes

Nick

It's pretty funny, isn't it.

You have to have a serious hate boner to consider the launch of the most powerful rocket in history an expensive failure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkib-rlDWQ
View All Quotes

Holy fuck you guys.

So my cousin and I left work a few weeks ago.

Drove all night. Parked on the beach at 3am and fell asleep. Till morning.

Woke up and took some pictures while drinking some monsters and eating imitation crab meat.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Notice anything in the second picture?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Holy fuck you guys.

Woke up and took some pictures while drinking some monsters and eating imitation crab meat.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446393/06ECCF61-AED1-4484-8AEF-840EEE369069_jpe-2792450.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446393/FC3FA2B0-B33D-468C-86FA-720B5E84AE3C_jpe-2792451.JPG

View All Quotes

Holy fuck you guys.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446393/06ECCF61-AED1-4484-8AEF-840EEE369069_jpe-2792450.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446393/FC3FA2B0-B33D-468C-86FA-720B5E84AE3C_jpe-2792451.JPG

how about a warning for the 1st pic?

2nd pic - the van?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

SLS/Orion was marketed as safe and cheap and easy.

It cost 40 billion in development. 4 billion for the first rocket. Is 7 years behind schedule and took 12 years to make. It’s less powerful than the Saturn V from 50 years ago.

SLS was marketed as the safe simple rocket. Working on the first go might have been it’s only selling point.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#42]

2nd pic - the van?
View All Quotes

Holy fuck you guys.

2nd pic - the van?

Fuck am I that ugly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Oldspace really hates SpaceX, huh?

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Look at the concrete debris hitting the ocean (0:14)

SpaceX, watch Starship''s liftoff from different angles
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

View All Quotes

Old-space really seems to have a giant hate boner for SpaceX.  On the other end of the spectrum tho I've run into some pretty arrogant people that like to say they work at SpaceX theynare pretty insufferable. I've also run into former SpaceX employees that loved their accomplishments but hated the work environment.

Old-space (or is it geriatric-space?) shoots itself in the foot every time it abuses the heck out a cost-plus contract to milk NASA/DOD for all the dollars.  Old-space has inflated the price of space flight for so long that they prevented the market from growing beyond government contracts. They need to learn that the cheaper they make space, the more customers they will get, the more profit they will make.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Is This Why Starship Wasn’t Destroyed The Moment It Lost Control?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#47]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqbIwZMvbqw
View Quote

ehh my take on that video is the fuel stream from the charge hit the engine and ignited.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

"downgraded"

Bullshit. "Success if it clears the pad" has been explicitly stated and understood since day one.

As for Artemis, when you base your whole development plan on having as little real world testing as possible, you are going to get called an idiot when your rocket suffers from a fatal case of reality.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

They fall over themselves reeeeeing at someone daring to show them up for the abject failures they are.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
That's an awesome shot.
View Quote

Indeed.
Page / 473
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top