User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 460
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
View Quote

This doesn't surprise me. They probably need to rebuild the whole thing based on the pics that came out yesterday. Foundation is fucked.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Starbase Launch Site Flyover *pad damage
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#5]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
I love all the doomer comments and speculation on the test launch.

Did SpaceX make a big fucking crater and hurt the booster? Yes. Does it really matter in the long run? No.

View Quote
The only battleship ready booster and second stage stack tested to withstand concrete bombardment, achieve orbital velocity after six engine loss, and complete full directional reversal at separation altitude in atmosphere.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AJE:

I'm wondering if the foundation of the tower itself was compromised.
View Quote

That's what I meant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Imagine three of these together to use as boosters for another heavy lifter

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Now have a damage extent map.

1.  Repair concrete. Add footed piers with sand locks below current pads to be integrated with decking in step 2.
2.  Cover with steel decking. 100% seam welds to prevent high velocity gas intrusion and lifting. Anchor to concrete piers with footed sand locks installed in step 1.
3. Add water cooling channels and top decking to create a channelized water cooled sandwich.
4.  Consider use of 300 series stainless in area of highest temperatures and directional exhaust blast.  Also consider separate and enhanced water cooling circuits for these areas.
5.  Paint with ablative paint enriched with dyes to produce glorious red and blue smoke during launch.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#11]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
The only battleship ready booster and second stage stack tested to withstand concrete bombardment, achieve orbital velocity after six engine loss, and complete full directional reversal at separation altitude in atmosphere.
View Quote

It did not come close to orbital velocity.  I asked earlier if the velocity achieved just prior to it somersaulting was enough for Starship to reach orbital velocity after staging.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4v_9ez0Lk
View Quote

For anyone who was wondering, that's a CBP Aerostat radar balloon at ~1:30.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

What orbital velocity ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#15]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

It did not come close to orbital velocity.  I asked earlier if the velocity achieved just prior to it somersaulting was enough for Starship to reach orbital velocity after staging.
View Quote
Orbital velocity isn't achieved by the booster even if it works perfectly. Orbital velocity is achieved by the second stage. While I doubt that the nominal objectives were achieved with a six engine loss, I think the booster gave the second stage enough velocity and altitude for it to have reached a less than nominal orbital velocity. The second stage was never going to fire a second time to make a round circular orbit and was going to be crashed near Hawaii.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#16]

View Quote

Not even close to it.

For example, MECO for an F9 launch is around 7800 km/h at an altitude of 70+ km.

The heavy stack barely broke 2200 km/h before it lost control and energy carried to to around 37 km.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Middle of July. It was freezing cold, maybe it was just a fluke. I'm uses to Outer Banks and Florida Atlantic temps which can be cold but usually get warm in the summer unless there's storms.
View Quote
Have a really hard time believing July water temps wouldn't be at least in the low 80's.

Hurricanes can do some weird things, but that sounds extreme.

What year?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Have a really hard time believing July water temps wouldn't be at least in the low 80's.

Hurricanes can do some weird things, but that sounds extreme.

What year?
View Quote

Yeah. July in the gulf is usually disappointingly warm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Not even close to it.

For example, MECO for an F9 launch is around 7800 km/h at an altitude of 70+ km.

The heavy stack barely broke 2200 km/h before it lost control and energy carried to to around 37 km.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not even close to it.

Completely different vehicles and not remotely comparable.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Just part of the poors.  My access to a beach house cheap is when nobody wants to rent it.  I rarely go when the water is warm enough to enjoy swimming (then it is due to tropical storm cancellations)-but I can download charts that say when it is warm.

I missed the satire.  Honestly, S. Padre might be one of the warmest beaches in the US.  God forgive me, as I am tempted to post a few more graphs to explore that statement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

Completely different vehicles and not remotely comparable.

View Quote

Ok I'm listening. Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I do find it funny, that it's most popular weekend is Spring Break (usually in March) - when the water is always too cold to enjoy swimming.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Just part of the poors.  My access to a beach house cheap is when nobody wants to rent it.  I rarely go when the water is warm enough to enjoy swimming (then it is due to tropical storm cancellations)-but I can download charts that say when it is warm.

I missed the satire.  Honestly, S. Padre might be one of the warmest beaches in the US.  God forgive me, as I am tempted to post a few more graphs to explore that statement.
View Quote
Do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#25]
Googled a few Florida beaches - peak temp is about the same as S. Padre, but lows are considerably higher. Less spread.  Florida beaches to me are relevant, as I spend a few days on Coco beach and missed a Falcon 9 launch there.  Kind of the thing about space launches I guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]

video

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#27]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#29]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#32]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Some of our GSE guys were wondering if the vibrations caused the moist sand to be liquified helping to speed up rapid disassembly of the pad
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Not a criticism because I know what this whole first launch and first site is about but it seems like they are going to have to really re-think some things in order to achieve any kind of tempo with launches.

It will be really interesting to see what kind of changes they implement for the next go around.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Drawworks armor needs attention.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NwG:
Drawworks armor needs attention.
View Quote

yeah, that thing got blasted, hopefully it still works.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Not a criticism because I know what this whole first launch and first site is about but it seems like they are going to have to really re-think some things in order to achieve any kind of tempo with launches.

It will be really interesting to see what kind of changes they implement for the next go around.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodsie:

This setup was always meant to be for testing only.  They pretty much have to launch from off shore if they are going to ramp up to the tempo needed to build and support a Mars colony.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#39]
more from Starship Gazer

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]
you just know that the Enviroweenies are going to try and stop future launches with all of this debris all over the wildlife area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Not even close to it.

View Quote

That is what I pointed out earlier.  There is a huge delta between the altitude and velocity of Falcon 9 at staging and what we saw with Starship with 6 or 7 engines out.  One thing that I don't know is what altitude and speed should the Starship and booster have achieved at MECO if things were working properly?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#42]
you just know that the Enviroweenies are going to try and stop future launches with all of this debris all over the wildlife area.
View Quote

And the funny part is space nerds will have the area picked clean gathering souvenirs by Monday morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#43]

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#44]
Photos & Prints

2024 Starship Calender

4K: Witnessing the most powerful rocket launch in history (with HQ AUDIO!)
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
more from Starship Gazer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuWCUlLWYAEK_3W?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Starhopper has seen some shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#46]
My new avatar.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Geebus.

1-2 years is my guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Just slap a new coat of pain on the launch stand and get back at it. I would definitely build up a barrier or wall of some sort around the fuel farm tanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#49]

HESCO's have seen better days

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#50]
more from Starship Gazer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuWCUlLWYAEK_3W?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Nice job with the pics Chokey.

I appreciate the extra work embedding them here.

Page / 460
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top