Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 497
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

The stated goal was low Earth orbit with Starship splashing down off Hawaii and the booster doing a soft landing off the coast of Boca Chica, it was in the flight plan. None of that happened.
SpaceX loves to move the goal posts and it appeases their supporters/fanatics. They eat it up.

I'm just one of those that doesn't eat it up because of the multiple letdowns of promises from Musk and SpaceX because of constant moving of said goal posts.
That is my opinion, and when that opinion cannot be shared here I will leave.

That's all there is to it, this site was cherished for shared opinions with real debate without name calling and I appreciate your opinion on the subject. Even though we differ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

Don't know why you're being obtuse about the value of a test flight, specifically in an iterative design program.

The 4/20 launch wasn't even with their "best designs" of either stage 1 or 2 - each were 4 or 5 revs behind.  

They launched "good enough" components to test specific concepts.

Their goal is not to build "a" rocket... but to evolve a rocket design and manufacturing process.

Essentially it was destructive testing of already outdated components.

ETA:  and it didn't matter *when* the rocket made max Q, only that it did, and survived it.  That it subsequently also survived some impressive improv corkscrews only added to validation of the structural integrity.  

The stated goal was low Earth orbit with Starship splashing down off Hawaii and the booster doing a soft landing off the coast of Boca Chica, it was in the flight plan. None of that happened.
SpaceX loves to move the goal posts and it appeases their supporters/fanatics. They eat it up.

I'm just one of those that doesn't eat it up because of the multiple letdowns of promises from Musk and SpaceX because of constant moving of said goal posts.

That's all there is to it, this site was cherished for shared opinions with real debate without name calling and I appreciate your opinion on the subject. Even though we differ.
Dagger, they have to have a projected flight plan to get the launch license. Do you know this and are being obtuse or do you honestly not know? That's FAA 101 right there.
Elon has clearly stated repeatedly that success was 50% chance AT BEST. The big takeaway to me is that the vehicle is amazingly robust and can tolerate immense damage without outright failure-FAR more than any other launch vehicle. And this one is the last one with the hydraulic actuation, which seems to be where most of the failures came from when the HPU (or both) popped.
How well would SLS fare getting concrete blocks up the ass, assymetric thrust, and 25% engine loss? Would have been lucky do clear the tower without leveling the facility.

Nick

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#2]
Originally Posted By realwar:
FAA mad.  The Federal Aviation Administration has now grounded all of SpaceX's Starship rockets as it investigates the failed launch.
View Quote

Ray Charles saw that coming.

1-2 months years Elon.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
Quite frankly, no one cares about your opinion. Your role in this thread has been to constantly shit all over SpaceX's accomplishments and generally be a disagreeable curmudgeon, and your knowledge of aerospace tech is college-kid level at best, fraught with frequently incorrect data points and questionable statistics. You should probably just leave. It would make everyone happier, possibly even you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]

there is absolutely nothing about FAA grounding Starship other than DailyJunkMail and Politico reporting it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

there is absolutely nothing about FAA grounding Starship other than DailyJunkMail and Politico reporting it.
View All Quotes

Doesn't really make sense either. Seemed to be a good test as far as they're concerned.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

Doesn't really make sense either. Seemed to be a good test as far as they're concerned.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

Depends on what safety expectations and assurances were in place contingent to approval of the launch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]

The stated goal plan was low Earth orbit with Starship splashing down off Hawaii and the booster doing a soft landing off the coast of Boca Chica, it was in the flight plan. None of that happened.

View All Quotes

Don't know why you're being obtuse about the value of a test flight, specifically in an iterative design program.

The 4/20 launch wasn't even with their "best designs" of either stage 1 or 2 - each were 4 or 5 revs behind.  

Their goal is not to build "a" rocket... but to evolve a rocket design and manufacturing process.

ETA:  and it didn't matter *when* the rocket made max Q, only that it did, and survived it.  That it subsequently also survived some impressive improv corkscrews only added to validation of the structural integrity.  

The stated goal plan was low Earth orbit with Starship splashing down off Hawaii and the booster doing a soft landing off the coast of Boca Chica, it was in the flight plan. None of that happened.

Small correction. The PLAN was for that flight path. Which Elon specifically stated, well before the launch, was far from guaranteed.  They had to have a plan if the thing miraculously made a perfect flight, even though they knew it most likely would not.

The goal was to launch it without it blowing up and destroying the pad. Just the fact that they got 30 engines to start and burn for the start of the flight is a huge accomplishment.  Test flight is far different than test burn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Holy shit you SpaceX haters are hard to deal with.

Of course they had to give the entire flight plan of what they hoped would happen. Otherwise do you just tell the FAA hey we're gonna be ecstatic if this thing even leaves the tower and as soon as it does we're gonna blow it up cause we never thought it would make it to Hawaii?

When's the last time you saw a rocket get sideways and it still held together? This is even after all the damage it received on launch.

The data from this is insane and probably why they kept letting it do that until it did start to fail.

Now they can optimize the boosters even further either keeping it like it is (cause it's a fucking tank) or lighten it up where it's not as strong to increase the possible payload and lower the cost to send payload to orbit even further.

Booster wise it's a complete success and now they know for sure they need to figure out the pad.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

The lack of gravity makes many activities more efficient.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Originally Posted By mohabie:
That's why space sex is so much more efficient than the government.

The lack of gravity makes many activities more efficient.

Newton's 3rd law will be a true pain in this instance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

There is real debate, always has been.... but no name calling? Been here over a decade man, ball busting's been a feature not a bug since day one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]
There is plenty of room to admit that SpaceX likely made some unforced errors while still acknowledging that a test launch can be a resounding success whether or not it completes its full flight profile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#12]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
There is plenty of room to admit that SpaceX likely made some unforced errors while still acknowledging that a test launch can be a resounding success whether or not it completes its full flight profile.
View Quote

I'll throw my purse into all the purse swinging. Full flight profile was never a requirement for a success.
Elon himself said success would at the least be the rocket clearing the launch pad with stage 0 intact.
Stage 0 is far from intact. Just sayin'. Rocket was a huge success, stage 0 a huge failure.
Space nerds/analysts/NSF/WAI etc...  saw the pad issue coming a year plus ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe we can lay the flame trench issue to rest.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Sweet damn it blasted off at 1,243mph!

What a garbage "article".
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
View Quote

Well, that's the debate isn't it?

There's what SpaceX hoped might be possible if everything went perfectly, soft landing the booster and starship, which would in fact, exceed their own expectations of the test.

And then there is what SpaceX said constituted the minimum objectives to be considered a success and anything past that was a bonus.

The test launch met the objectives and validated Elon's statement from months ago, that the launch pad setup was probably a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Originally Posted By realwar:
FAA mad.  The Federal Aviation Administration has now grounded all of SpaceX's Starship rockets as it investigates the failed launch.

Ray Charles saw that coming.

1-2 months years Elon.

https://cst.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/0e26bbb/2147483647/strip/true/crop/2000x1333+0+0/resize/1680x1120!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumbor%2Fy7vuCqy2JxYwh2V7Zrv-Swh6_mI%3D%2F0x0%3A2000x1570%2F2000x1570%2Ffilters%3Afocal%281040x530%3A1041x531%29%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fuploads%2Fchorus_asset%2Ffile%2F23438096%2FOBIT_CHARLES.jpeg

IMHO, the closer other programs get to providing viable orbital launch services for the fedgov, the more they are going to tighten the screws down on Musk SpaceX.

There's a possibility that Starship may never fly again (at least from a US launch site).
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Check out the shock waves in this video, holy crap !

The world's most powerful rocket takes off in 4K 120fps
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out the shock waves in this video, holy crap !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLGrJ-14hs
View Quote
I bet that's why the Arfcommer who was down there said it sounded weird.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AJE:

Was it confirmed some of the engines "failed to ignite" or could they have ignited and been damaged?   We don't know that unless it comes from SpaceX, you can't just count the number of engines out 30 seconds into the flight and declare they failed to ignite.
View All Quotes

Was it confirmed some of the engines "failed to ignite" or could they have ignited and been damaged?   We don't know that unless it comes from SpaceX, you can't just count the number of engines out 30 seconds into the flight and declare they failed to ignite.

I haven't seen an "official" response from SpaceX.....based on the volume of concrete flying around ignited and damaged seems more likely.  The way they sequence the engine start it's also possible some could have been damaged prior to ignition???
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

I haven't seen an "official" response from SpaceX.....based on the volume of concrete flying around ignited and damaged seems more likely.  The way they sequence the engine start it's also possible some could have been damaged prior to ignition???
View All Quotes

Couldn't find the image I was looking for but there were some indications that at least some of the inop engines were missing their nozzles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Booster 7 has the record for world's largest sandblaster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I think it would depend heavily on the ignition/throttle up sequence.  With a little luck, SpaceX will tell us eventually.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

I think it would depend heavily on the ignition/throttle up sequence.  With a little luck, SpaceX will tell us eventually.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

I thought someone said the engines come on in 3 stages.....but I'm not sure what the configuration of the phases is.  This is a screengrab from the SpaceX live feed, at 16 seconds is when they put the overlay graphic of the engines in the bottom left and you can see that 2 are out on the outer ring and 1 in the middle.  Agreed that until SpaceX gives info (assuming they do) it's all speculation.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]

If all the altitude the Starship needs is 20 miles and what, 1200 miles per hour, they may as well stretch it 30 feet and make it SSTO.

But it doesn't need that, it needs much more speed, and much more altitude before it lights and can attain an orbital speed.

Max Q was planned at 55 seconds, it occurred @ 1:20 @ 9km
MECO was planned @ 2:59 but they lost it @ 2:15 at 26 km.
At ~ 2:30 the pointy end was aimed at the Earth, just watch the telemetry before the shut that feature off. Speed was rapidly decreasing at that point too.

Throw your pearls and hate away and look at the data. There is no way the Starship would have gotten anywhere near orbital speeds if it did sep at that point in speed and altitude.

Instead, the flight plan was useless once it left the OLM.

It was spectacular though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/DKprofLOL-122511-526.png

You're either trolling or have no idea what you're talking about. I gave you an honest reply in case you really didn't understand the difference between Starship and F9. Most of your response is completely unrelated to my post and is just industrial grade pearl clutching or pure hating.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

If all the altitude the Starship needs is 20 miles and what, 1200 miles per hour, they may as well stretch it 30 feet and make it SSTO.

But it doesn't need that, it needs much more speed, and much more altitude before it lights and can attain an orbital speed.

Max Q was planned at 55 seconds, it occurred @ 1:20 @ 9km
MECO was planned @ 2:59 but they lost it @ 2:15 at 26 km.
At ~ 2:30 the pointy end was aimed at the Earth, just watch the telemetry before the shut that feature off. Speed was rapidly decreasing at that point too.

Throw your pearls and hate away and look at the data. There is no way the Starship would have gotten anywhere near orbital speeds if it did sep at that point in speed and altitude.

Instead, the flight plan was useless once it left the OLM.

It was spectacular though.

None of that really matters though.   It made it off the launch pad intact, although the launch pad wasn't intact when it left.     That was the test and the measure of success.   It launched and they got their data.   Rapid prototyping and testing to failure is a thing for them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:31:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobradriver] [#28]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCy7UoGIuE

View Quote

That dude is an annoying asshat. If I had to be around someone like him daily...an alligator might end up eating really well....

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
That would be incredible if the chopsticks are still functional.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

They are. I just watched them close and lower all the way to the bottom.
I can't believe the drawworks might still be alive. I know chopsticks have emergency brakes but I'm not sure if they have the means to lower them without a functional drawworks. Anyone know? Either way, this bodes well for the chopsticks and the tower in general.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Draw works by nature have to be built strong. That type unit is used on drilling rigs that carry the weight of the drill string, which is heavy. You can't have one break with 15-18k feet of steel hanging off it. Some control works may have been damaged, but not the main unit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NOVA1234] [#35]
https://i.redd.it/byxbry0wvtva1.jpg
View Quote

You remember Starship!  The Butcher of Boca Chica!

[crowd boos]

I can choose anyone I want, and I choose Starship!  That rocket’s one mean motherfucker!
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#36]
That's huge. All is not lost.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#37]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
I bet that's why the Arfcommer who was down there said it sounded weird.
View Quote

That was I.

That video does an OK job.  But...  I just don't think a microphone has the ability to really record how it 'sounds' which is a combination of sound vibrations and... well... physical vibrations.  (Admitting those are one and the same).  I don't know how to communicate / describe the sensation and... skipping... nature of how it sounded / felt.

Maybe....  a pulsejet engine but much larger and with a longer period between 'pops' which are much deeper in tone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:20:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elcope] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elcope] [#40]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

He also spews misinformation in order to be edgy not to mention he thinks ISP is how many seconds a engine burns.  I gave the guy a chance but am fed up with him.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

That dude is an annoying asshat. If I had to be around someone like him daily...an alligator might end up eating really well....

He also spews misinformation in order to be edgy not to mention he thinks ISP is how many seconds a engine burns.  I gave the guy a chance but am fed up with him.

In 2023, nothing after the word "misinformation" ever matters or is heard/read
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By elcope:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FufSrs4XwAMbqoU?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FufSrssXgAgcfyt?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FufSrsrXsAEJghc?format=jpg&name=large

@DK-Prof
View Quote

That’s crazy
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#43]
Cool model.  They're pricey, though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Draw works by nature have to be built strong. That type unit is used on drilling rigs that carry the weight of the drill string, which is heavy. You can't have one break with 15-18k feet of steel hanging off it. Some control works may have been damaged, but not the main unit.
View Quote

Good to hear. They mentioned similar on RGV's stream. Plus the upward and outward angle of the concrete that blasted the enclosure likely helped.

The launch mount itself looks like it held up pretty well and tank farm damage isn't an issue. Really the only issue I'm concerned about is the launch mount foundation. The legs go down 100+ feet underground and seemingly only one lateral support was destroyed, so it still should have remained pretty strong. I'm hopeful that it can still be repaired. But I'm also an optimist.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

With starship rumored to be getting 30’ taller…

Who wants to bet it ends up being 420’ tall…?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NwG:

With starship rumored to be getting 30’ taller…

Who wants to bet it ends up being 420’ tall…?
View Quote

Really??  Hadn't heard that reported. Wonder if it's yet another floor for occupant, propellent, or both.  I watched a good video that discussed ideas for layout of crew and storage areas on Starship. Imagine a space going "capsule" with more interior volume than the Intl. Space station?!?  

Where did you hear that?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

Really??  Hadn't heard that reported. Wonder if it's yet another floor for occupant, propellent, or both.  I watched a good video that discussed ideas for layout of crew and storage areas on Starship. Imagine a space going "capsule" with more interior volume than the Intl. Space station?!?  

Where did you hear that?
View Quote

Twitter livestream right before the launch, during which Elon mentioned a 10m extension for Starship.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Twitter livestream right before the launch, during which Elon mentioned a 10m extension for Starship.
View Quote

And 3 more vacuum engines IIRC.
Page / 497
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top