Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 496
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
We went on vacation in South Padre last week and we drove over to Boca Chica/SpaceX on Monday morning, 6/26.  No need to post pics, as there's plenty of pics online that are better than I can take.  It was incredible!  My two biggest takeaways were 1) gosh this place is remote.  There's NOTHING out here.  NO public facilities...I had to pee behind a dumpster.  And 2) holy crap this place is busy!  Everywhere you look was non-stop infrastructure expansion.  I don't mean people standing around watching others work, I mean continuous construction, everywhere you look.  Rockets being assembled here, megabay being constructed there, another building there, a trench with cables in it going from the Spaceport to the launch tower area, non-stop trucks, truck, and more trucks!  Like, watch where you're walking so you don't get flattened!  We parked right near the Rocket Garden and saw the Starships and Heavy Boosters there, as close as we could get.  I met a photographer named Chief who works for What About It youtube channel, and he helped point out what I was looking at.  I highly recommend going there if you get the chance.
View Quote

Going out there was incredible for me. As soon as I saw the rockets in the distance Tool's Rosetta Stoned started playing at full volume in my head and when I got to the launch pad there was a photographer there wearing a Tool hoodie.

"Alrighty then, picture this if you will."
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The water plate is being moved under the launch platform.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobradriver] [#3]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

I know people have this idea of Starship being exactly what Elon says it's going to be and taking off and landing exactly according to his aspirational goal of catching them with a tower and turning them around in a matter of hours like a 747 but I'd never dismiss the possibility of certain things getting scaled back as development progresses.  

I think there's a real possibility that the final 1.0 production version of Starship lands on legs like a Falcon and without people on board but still changes the world profoundly by enabling a total payload to LEO and cost per kg that exceeds anything that we've ever seen.  That would be true even if Starship never launched and returned humans too.

Even if the booster and ship catching is ultimately deemed a bridge too far, the tower design still retains it's utility for stacking and launching as has already been demonstrated with the first test flight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Originally Posted By redoubt:
Yes. Starship is meant to be caught on the tower, too. Lunar Starship and probably the first Mars ships will have landing legs. But the LEO one's won't.

You may be right but that sounds like another SpaceX fuckup in the making.  

I know people have this idea of Starship being exactly what Elon says it's going to be and taking off and landing exactly according to his aspirational goal of catching them with a tower and turning them around in a matter of hours like a 747 but I'd never dismiss the possibility of certain things getting scaled back as development progresses.  

I think there's a real possibility that the final 1.0 production version of Starship lands on legs like a Falcon and without people on board but still changes the world profoundly by enabling a total payload to LEO and cost per kg that exceeds anything that we've ever seen.  That would be true even if Starship never launched and returned humans too.

Even if the booster and ship catching is ultimately deemed a bridge too far, the tower design still retains it's utility for stacking and launching as has already been demonstrated with the first test flight.

One thing I've learned is...

Never, ever doubt Elon can do something.

Weather that translates into a catch system is yet to be seen but there in NFW I'd place a bet against it....

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

Weather that translates into a catch system is yet to be seen but there in NFW I'd place a bet against it....

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Originally Posted By redoubt:
Yes. Starship is meant to be caught on the tower, too. Lunar Starship and probably the first Mars ships will have landing legs. But the LEO one's won't.

You may be right but that sounds like another SpaceX fuckup in the making.  

I don't doubt that he can do it.  I just doubt that it will fit into the timeline for Artemis, the next generation of Starlink satellites, and I can only presume a growing list of commercial and government customers who are going to want to launch some bigger payloads than what the launch industry can currently provide.  I also think when they start to contemplate the risk to Stage 0 each time while they are trying to perfect it, they are going to think better of it unless they just having stunning degrees of success mock landing these in the ocean right out of the gate.

Elon is the king of setting high aspirational goals, pushing them hard, and then settling into more attainable goals as things progress.  Even Starship itself started out as the ludicrously massive ITS before settling into the more "modest" design that they are currently building.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
SpaceX already has an escape capsule in the Dragon, I would think translating it over to the SS wouldn't be a huge deal.
View Quote

That is a whole crew capsule. I think starship should have individual pods that double as sleeping quarters and launch seat. Stick a small rocket and chute on each and maybe even ablative heat shield and bobs your uncle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the water plate is now being layed into place below the launch platform.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
The water plate is being moved under the launch platform.
View Quote

laying it down now

Starbase Live: 24/7 Starship & Super Heavy Development From SpaceX's Boca Chica Facility
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
This really helps the sense of scale.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh Hello!  Booster moving down the street now.

Starbase Live: 24/7 Starship & Super Heavy Development From SpaceX's Boca Chica Facility

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems like booster 10 is heading the the Massey's test site.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0ou0U9WAAEWpnM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Starship Upgrades REVEALED! Major Upgrades Incoming.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hukjMVIecdU
View Quote

Fly what you got.  Upgrades end up being vaporware at some point if you aren't flying the silos.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Any news on how the OLM updates are proceeding?  Do they have the steel plates installed?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Any news on how the OLM updates are proceeding?  Do they have the steel plates installed?
View Quote

Funny you ask....go back to 1:22PM

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
 Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#22]
Don't have to find it.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
SpaceX Starbase 4K Water Cooled Steel Plate First Test with Water 7/17/23 Texas Day 342
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Zack mistimed his video

SpaceX Begins Commissioning Super Heavy Booster Bidet System
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#25]
They might beat my 6-month prediction before next test launch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
They might beat my 6-month prediction before next test launch.
View Quote
Have they started building a booster designed to support hot staging?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Have they started building a booster designed to support hot staging?
View Quote

They are just going to reinforce the top dome and add another ring section to the otherwise complete booster.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_of_Orion] [#30]
Booster 9 on the Move out to the launch pad area.

SpaceX Rolls Starship Booster 9 to Launch Site at Starbase

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTvS4jTfQ2k
View Quote

I wonder if the hotstaging is also due to fears of a post-separation collision. Didn't that happen on one of the first Falcon 1(?) launches and almost sink SpaceX?

They may not want to do a total MECO on the booster so it could still be accelerating at separation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

I wonder if the hotstaging is also due to fears of a post-separation collision. Didn't that happen on one of the first Falcon 1(?) launches and almost sink SpaceX?

They may not want to do a total MECO on the booster so it could still be accelerating at separation.
View Quote

The first test failure was because of the wierd flip they were using to try and separate. Something held them together.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

The first test failure was because of the wierd flip they were using to try and separate. Something held them together.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

I was referring to flight 3 of Falcon 1. Here's what Musk said happened and a video:

We have a definitive understanding of what went wrong on Flight 3. The problem was due to a design error not a production or quality assurance issue. The thrust transient was longer than it was for the prior flight. The previous flight had an ablatively cooled engine. Flight 3 had a regeneratively cooled engine. The gap between engine cut off and staging was 1.5 seconds - which was fine for the ablatively cooled engine on Flight 2. But on Flight 3, with the regeneratively cooled engine, there was some residual thrust after engine shut down and this caused the first stage to be pushed back toward the second stage after separation and there was a recontact between the stages.

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 5:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#34]
Booster 9 lift to OLM:

SpaceX Lifts Starship Booster 9 to Launch Pad at Starbase
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_of_Orion] [#44]
another booster on the move...

I think this is the one that was at the massy's test site...

But I'm not sure as I just got up and all I see is a booster on the move...

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#45]
They updated the onscreen text.  

Booster 10 returning from Massey's.  
Booster 9 is the one at the launch pad.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
They updated the onscreen text.  

Booster 10 returning from Massey's.  
Booster 9 is the one at the launch pad.
View Quote
Yep. 10's been cryo tested and is ready for it's Raptors now (assuming). 9 is on the OLM for static fire testing and likely to beat on the deluge system and see how it holds up.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
getting frosty

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#48]
SpaceX Test Booster 9 On The Orbital Launch Mount
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#50]

That is an incredible amount of rebar.
Page / 496
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top