BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 471
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fox2008:

Funny....what I see is a company moving at near light speed, in legacy space / rocketry time....even modern time compared to the competition, and .gov agencies being the biggest bottleneck.  Legacy space would still be working on OLM upgrade drawings, meanwhile SpaceX has upgrades designed, installed and tested.....and redesigned the booster to add hot staging while they're waiting.

If Musk could harness internet butthurt, the next launch would end up in Mars orbit.
View Quote

So, when will it be declared successful ?
Not a flight plan of this is what we want to do, to a flight plan that changes to "well, we made it off the pad so it's a resounding success" and the worshipers stand in a circle and slap each other on the back and high 5 each other.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Not a flight plan of this is what we want to do, to a flight plan that changes to "well, we made it off the pad so it's a resounding success" and the worshipers stand in a circle and slap each other on the back and high 5 each other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Funny....what I see is a company moving at near light speed, in legacy space / rocketry time....even modern time compared to the competition, and .gov agencies being the biggest bottleneck.  Legacy space would still be working on OLM upgrade drawings, meanwhile SpaceX has upgrades designed, installed and tested.....and redesigned the booster to add hot staging while they're waiting.

If Musk could harness internet butthurt, the next launch would end up in Mars orbit.

The success was always put at MAKE IT OFF THE PAD.

they were saying this for literal months before IFT1.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

You can hate on SpaceX all you want but - SpaceX has done more for rocket innovation in the VERY short time that they have been in existence than what any other space company has done in decades.
SpaceX has caused every single rocket launch company to totally have to re-vamp their rocket designs or get left in the dust - and those companies right now are so far behind that it will take them at least a decade or more to catch up to SpaceX.
But - you just go ahead and hate on....

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

I think success for the first launch was make it off the pad so that the pad doesn't get destroyed with the rocket.  So partial success! XD
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

You're deliberately changing what Musk and SpaceX said prior to OTF1, in order to move the goal posts and make it seem like they're less successful than they are.

The entire global space industry has been permanently shifted by SpaceX, to the point that the Europeans and Russians are totally insignificant now, and not a single player globally besides *maybe* some Chinese startups have even a remote attempt of a plan to launch anything comparable to today's Falcon 9 within the next decade. Literally the entire globe is a decade behind where SpaceX was last week...and Starship has the potential to render even *that* totally irrelevant in the next year or two. Even if Starship never flies, ever, SpaceX has still completely and totally changed the entire global industry permanently, and in a good way. That change might not have occurred for decades more if Elon hadn't been snubbed by the Russians back in the 2000s...

So you might do well to reconsider your blind hatred of them, since they're damn near the only remaining positive innovation coming out of America anymore, and certainly the only ones that stand a chance of actually changing the world for the better. If they fail, who else is there? Lockmart? Boeing?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

For you….never. It’s pretty obvious that you’d much rather see Musk fail than SpaceX succeed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
You can hate on SpaceX all you want but - SpaceX has done more for rocket innovation in the VERY short time that they have been in existence than what any other space company has done in decades.
SpaceX has caused every single rocket launch company to totally have to re-vamp their rocket designs or get left in the dust - and those companies right now are so far behind that it will take them at least a decade or more to catch up to SpaceX.

View Quote

No question about the F9 being a resounding success and I enjoy watching them pretty much weekly.
What I 'hate' about the BFR program is the snake oil salesman pitch full of false promises that so many stick their faces right in front of the hose and drink it like it's full of elixir koolaid.

When has Elon come clean about ANYTHING with his constantly changing promises and predictions ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]

No question about the F9 being a resounding success and I enjoy watching them pretty much weekly.
What I 'hate' about the BFR program is the snake oil salesman pitch full of false promises that so many stick their faces right in front of the hose and drink it like it's full of elixir koolaid.

When has Elon come clean about ANYTHING with his constantly changing promises and predictions ?
View All Quotes

You're a gold in an orange world. A rule follower in a goal oriented world. Nothing wrong with that, but your personality will never be happy with any level of progress that isn't perfectly planned. And SpaceX progress can never be perfectly planned, especially with the stretch goals musk sets.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I think the only thing elon is way off on are his timelines.

Part of this is likely internally motivating the team and part of it is higher order thinking hand waving the details.

I'd pretty much be willing to bet starship will achieve full and rapid reusablity in this decade if not the next couple of years.  

Is there some other constantly changing promise or prediction outside of his insanely optimistic timelines?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Is there some other constantly changing promise or prediction outside of his insanely optimistic timelines?
View Quote

I would not attach any credibility to any of this timing predictions.   Whatever it is happened when it happens.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]

I think the only thing elon is way off on are his timelines.

Part of this is likely internally motivating the team and part of it is higher order thinking hand waving the details.

I'd pretty much be willing to bet starship will achieve full and rapid reusability in this decade if not the next couple of years.  

View Quote

Have you noticed the absence of touting re-useability of the Starship program lately ?
Seems that term has been taken off the table and not even talked about anymore.

With F9 development, it was everything. As it was with with the SN and BN series until it took a sudden stop.
Then it turned in to accelerated building and pressure testing, along with trying to get the Raptor engines to work reliably which seems like they are a long way off before they can get that flag.

"full and rapid reusability in this decade" was supposed to happen in the last decade, along with a whole bunch of other things.

All I want to see is promises fulfilled of both Starship and the heavy booster and complete one successful test of what we have been told what they can do.
Which is launch the entire stack, orbit the Starship and land the booster safely, then the Starship return and land safely.

Just that one successful flight will make me happy, and it will be a crap shoot if it happens inside of this decade.
Then it has to be Man Rated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Have you noticed the absence of touting re-useability of the Starship program lately ?

With F9 development, it was everything. As it was with with the SN and BN series until it took a sudden stop.
Then it turned in to accelerated building and pressure testing, along with trying to get the Raptor engines to work reliably which seems like they are a long way off before they can get that flag.

"full and rapid reusability in this decade" was supposed to happen in the last decade, along with a whole bunch of other things.

All I want to see is promises fulfilled of both Starship and the heavy booster and complete one successful test of what we have been told what they can do.
Which is launch the entire stack, orbit the Starship and land the booster safely, then the Starship return and land safely.

Just that one successful flight will make me happy, and it will be a crap shoot if it happens inside of this decade.
View Quote

JFC….they are developing a brand new rocket system from top to bottom and so far they’ve launched 1 prototype, if this was NASA they’d still be having meetings about what type of paper they’d print the design requirements document on.

Everyone in this thread wants to see Starship have a full successful flight, you seem to be the only one butthurt SpaceX isn’t meeting your timeline requirements. Go back and look at the Falcon development timeline and look at how many failures they had compared to what they do today.

Seems like Musk could hand you a bag full of money and you’d bitch about the color of the bag.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#13]
I think time is more valuable than money at this point.  He is getting ahead of production without additional data to modify it.  He has always been willing to do destructive testing to speed up the process - and now I am fairly sure he will favor it if it can avoid potential delays as well.  The last thing he really wants it to have to shut down production lines because he has too much test inventory sitting around.  Plus there is a factor of image - people are inclined to consider something a falure if he tries to reuse, but the test turns out to be destructive.  There is no such incorrect interpretation if the test was designed to be destructive in advance.  In short - why risk a failed landing with obsolete tech and risk another review because of it if the equipment is not needed to be reused anyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]

JFC….they are developing a brand new rocket system from top to bottom and so far they’ve launched 1 prototype, if this was NASA they’d still be having meetings about what type of paper they’d print the design requirements document on.

Everyone in this thread wants to see Starship have a full successful flight, you seem to be the only one butthurt SpaceX isn’t meeting your timeline requirements. Go back and look at the Falcon development timeline and look at how many failures they had compared to what they do today.

Seems like Musk could hand you a bag full of money and you’d bitch about the color of the bag.
View Quote

Nope. I would graciously take it. And then count it in front of him.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
They certainly have NOT dropped reusability.
Stated at this year's IAC just a couple of weeks ago:

Neither the booster nor the ship will be recovered on the upcoming flight. The booster, he said, could be recovered within the next year, he said, by flying it back to the launch site and catching it with arms extending from the launch tower, a contraption dubbed "Mechazilla."

Recovering the ship will take longer. "We want to make sure that it comes in fully intact and lands in a precise location in the Pacific before we try to catch it at the launch site," he said. "Hopefully, we might catch the ship towards the end of next year."

Nick
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

He just was touting full and rapid reuse in his last talk. That is what it is designed to do.

This thread has been going since 2017. If elon said it would be reusable by 2020 you can at least triple that and give him credit if they make it by 2026. That's elon time.

They will likely make several more test flights before attempting a catch and i wouldn't be surprised if they fail the first attempt and redesign shit. That is the approach they are taking to design. Rapid iteration and testing. Go look at the how not to land an orbital rocket vid, they blew up a shitload of falcon 9 boosters but now they have several with like 17 landings a piece and haven't biffed one in a long while now.

Even without recovering the boosters falcon 9 was a success in just delivering payload to orbit. I think us saying similar is the only place you are getting that reuse isn't that important. For elons ultimate goals it is, for transforming the space industry being able to launch 150 tons to orbit is a fucking win and to hell with reusing the rocket, that is just a bonus to elons bottom line and pipedreams of a mars city.

Did you miss sn 15 landing from terminal velocity? That pretty much already shows they should be able to do it. Reentry and the fucking mechazilla and some complexity to that...

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

That depends on the test plan and its success criteria that I think it's safe to assume exists before they hit zero.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]

JFC .they are developing a brand new rocket system from top to bottom and so far they've launched 1 prototype, if this was NASA they'd still be having meetings about what type of paper they'd print the design requirements document on.

Everyone in this thread wants to see Starship have a full successful flight, you seem to be the only one butthurt SpaceX isn't meeting your timeline requirements. Go back and look at the Falcon development timeline and look at how many failures they had compared to what they do today.

Seems like Musk could hand you a bag full of money and you'd bitch about the color of the bag.
View Quote
Dagger probably co-chaired the committee to determine the color of the paper the requisition forms for the design requirements document would be printed on.

They kept it white.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#20]

He just was touting full and rapid reuse in his last talk. That is what it is designed to do.

This thread has been going since 2017. If elon said it would be reusable by 2020 you can at least triple that and give him credit if they make it by 2026. That's elon time.

They will likely make several more test flights before attempting a catch and i wouldn't be surprised if they fail the first attempt and redesign shit. That is the approach they are taking to design. Rapid iteration and testing. Go look at the how not to land an orbital rocket vid, they blew up a shitload of falcon 9 boosters but now they have several with like 17 landings a piece and haven't biffed one in a long while now.

Even without recovering the boosters falcon 9 was a success in just delivering payload to orbit. I think us saying similar is the only place you are getting that reuse isn't that important. For elons ultimate goals it is, for transforming the space industry being able to launch 150 tons to orbit is a fucking win and to hell with reusing the rocket, that is just a bonus to elons bottom line and pipedreams of a mars city.

Did you miss sn 15 landing from terminal velocity? That pretty much already shows they should be able to do it. Reentry and the fucking mechazilla and some complexity to that...

View All Quotes

This.  All this.  Single use Starship/BFR that is cargo only would be a HUGE money maker for Elon/SpaceX, so working development towards reusable rockets through that intermediate goal makes sense.

@Dagger41
SpaceX sucks because Elon is a Big Vision Over Promise Marketing Jerk doesn’t actually make him unique, and your phrasing keeps minimizing the fact that SpaceX is now putting more tonnage in space annually than EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED, and for less $/ton. Where’s your vocal hate for the other programs not hitting their timelines?

Hate Elon all you want, but I’d appreciate it if you’d stop throwing insults at those of us who don’t agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

This.  All this.  Single use Starship/BFR that is cargo only would be a HUGE money maker for Elon/SpaceX, so working development towards reusable rockets through that intermediate goal makes sense.

@Dagger41
“SpaceX sucks because Elon is a Big Vision Over Promise Marketing Jerk” doesn’t actually make him unique, and your phrasing keeps minimizing the fact that SpaceX is now putting more tonnage in space annually than EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED, and for less $/ton. Where’s your vocal hate for the other programs not hitting their timelines?

Hate Elon all you want, but I’d appreciate it if you’d stop throwing insults at those of us who don’t agree with you.
View Quote

I get openly insulted here and would appreciate it if that stopped too. How am I insulting you for stating my opinion about Elon and his way of doing things ?

For example, you just made up something and quoted me as saying it “SpaceX sucks because Elon is a Big Vision Over Promise Marketing Jerk”.
Those are your words, not mine, but you quote them as mine.
Quote me all you want in context, but please refrain from making shit up about me to pat yourself on the back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]

I get openly insulted here and would appreciate it if that stopped too. How am I insulting you for stating my opinion about Elon and his way of doing things ?

For example, you just made up something and quoted me as saying it “SpaceX sucks because Elon is a Big Vision Over Promise Marketing Jerk”.
Quote me all you want in context, but please refrain from making shit up about me to pat yourself on the back.
View Quote

Thank you for standing up to Big Space. We need more independent thinkers like you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

@Dagger41
“SpaceX sucks because Elon is a Big Vision Over Promise Marketing Jerk” doesn’t actually make him unique, and your phrasing keeps minimizing the fact that SpaceX is now putting more tonnage in space annually than EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED, and for less $/ton. Where’s your vocal hate for the other programs not hitting their timelines?

lol….if your posts were an article what he posted would be an accurate headline.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

@Dagger41

You’re right, I didn’t mean that as a quote from you, and shouldn’t have put quote marks on it.

However, other indviduals insulting you doesn’t give you reasonable cause to generically insult everyone who disagrees with you.

I’ve made my point.  You’ve beaten your dead horse into a bloody pulp.  I think you and I are done on this topic.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]

You’re right, I didn’t mean that as a quote from you, and shouldn’t have put quote marks on it.

However, other indviduals insulting you doesn’t give you reasonable cause to generically insult everyone who disagrees with you.

I’ve made my point.  You’ve beaten your dead horse into a bloody pulp.  I think you and I are done on this topic.
View All Quotes

@Dagger41

He does this every hundred pages or so.  Don't take it seriously.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

The thread title is "SpaceX assembling superheavy test rocket in Texas Now Official Starship Thread" and was opened for discussion and opinions.

Not titled an "Elon Musk Bro Worship" thread.
You can start one if you like I imagine.
Guaranteed I will not participate in it.

Satisfied now ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

“Come clean” about what???

Missing deadlines? Kind like everything NASA and other space contractors do?

It’s not just F9.

FH, F9, Crew dragon, dragon and starlink have permanently changed the industry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]

The thread title is "SpaceX assembling superheavy test rocket in Texas Now Official Starship Thread" and was opened for discussion and opinions.

Satisfied now ?
View All Quotes

Satisfied now ?

I haven't seen anyone in this thread worshipping Musk....I've seen people who understand engineering, prototyping, manufacturing, etc give SpaceX the benefit of the doubt on delays though.  I work in engineering & manufacturing and timelines are goals, nothing more, especially in the early stages.  There are too many unknowns to give firm dates and I deal with stuff that is a million times less complex than what SpaceX is doing here.  In early stage development you can have a goal, Musk seems to like stretch goals as well, they are normally set with an expectation that you'll miss it by a small margin.....without it, you'd miss it by a huge margin.

I think SpaceX beat virtually everyone's expectations on when Superheavy and OLM would be reading for launch again.....if the .gov would get out of the way we'd have already seen the 2nd flight.  If you want to be pissed at things moving slower than your expectations, go lobby D.C......or keep yelling Rocketman Bad if it makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

So Dagger, tell us how many pounds Blue Origin has put in orbit after 20 years?
View Quote

Well... To be fair New Glenn is reportedly getting close to launch. Kinda hard to tell though given that their corporate strategy seems to be something like this.

I mean for goodness sake, when Lockheed is more up front about honest to god classified weapons systems.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:13:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#33]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Stacked!

SpaceX Stacks Ship 25 on Booster 9
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 3:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#34]
How tall is that hot staging ring?
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Slightly off topic but that's some damn fine water color on the surf for this time of year.  Time to go fishing!

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NwG:
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/IMG_1133_jpeg-2994413.JPG

I never cease to be blown away by the sheer size of SH.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/10/17/spacex-congress-licenses-faa-starship/

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/10/citing-slow-starship-reviews-spacex-urges-faa-to-double-licensing-staff/
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#43]
this job would be a big nope for me.

Starbase Live: 24/7 Starship & Super Heavy Development From SpaceX's Boca Chica Facility
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

SpaceX should have started a countdown over a loudspeaker….might have motivated them to move quicker.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#46]

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4q2] [#48]

Beautiful picture .is it real or ai ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 4q2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4q2:

real
Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top