Site Notices
Page / 471
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPN:

ULA has to worry about patents and claims of industrial espionage.

Industrial espionage is just another part of business in China.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

That's their standard practice.

Be nice if ULA would do that

ULA has to worry about patents and claims of industrial espionage.

Industrial espionage is just another part of business in China.

I thought I had read that SpaceX didn't patent most things?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By David0858:

I thought I had read that SpaceX didn't patent most things?
View Quote

Largely no elon has said on a couple of tours with tim dodd if they wanna try and copy that be my guest.

Most of the things they are working on with starship they are already a couple versions ahead in the drawing room if not the production floor.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Largely no elon has said on a couple of tours with tim dodd if they wanna try and copy that be my guest.

Most of the things they are working on with starship they are already a couple versions ahead in the drawing room if not the production floor.
View Quote

I think they were walking through the raptor fab facility and Tim asked if he could film it. He basically said good luck trying to copy it lol
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Is capture autonomous?  Hear me out.

When the time comes, fly a starship over there with a welcome present and let their system recognize and catch it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#7]
Tangentially related, it looks like Ariane 6 has had a successful first launch.

It will be amusing to see how it competes with Starship in the launch market.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#9]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Yeah, it looks great.  Everything nominal.

... but of course, completely outdated at this point.  
View Quote

Outdated compared to Falcon. Starship is going to be like a BC-304 from Stargate by comparison.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]

vid
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]

I've said this ad nauseam, but my brain just can't comprehend the scale of these effing things.

And if they catch it?

OMG.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]

That might just become my new desktop background
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]

What is it?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]

What are we lookin at there?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Grid fin.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By downstate:

Grid fin.
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

I looked at it a couple times and couldn't figure it out.  Saw your post and looked again, stared at it for a few seconds, then my brain finally corrected for the optical delusion, and "whoa, it is a grid fin."
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Kind of what I would expect when the richest person on the planet designs a meat tenderizer for his secret villain base.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Grid fin.
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

Thanks,
My brain was totally making the negative space positive. Thought it might be some new reptile inspired overlapping scale heatshield
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks,
My brain was totally making the negative space positive. Thought it might be some new reptile inspired overlapping scale heatshield
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

Thanks,

Took a solid 30 seconds to get my brain to correct that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#21]

I looked at it a couple times and couldn't figure it out.  Saw your post and looked again, stared at it for a few seconds, then my brain finally corrected for the optical delusion, and "whoa, it is a grid fin."
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

I had to stare at it for several moments before my brain accepted it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#23]
damn, it wasn't a autostereogram.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#24]

If you aren't familiar with the grammar of the Times front page layout here it is: The top right story is the lead story, the top left story is the sub-lead everything else above the fold is the important news of the day. Today the New York Times says the second most important story is mounting pressure from senior congressional Dems to push Biden out of the race. The 3rd most important story is a shocking French election results upending all expectations. The MOST important story is Elon Musk's successful space launch destroying nine bird nests.

What’s worse, this story is super misleading!

In one instance it claims, “three years of data collected by the Coastal Bend group near the SpaceX site indicated a 54 percent decline in the threatened piping plover population through 2021.”

This is false. The frequently cited study conducted by Newstead and Hill (2021) is outdated and unreliable for describing potential piping plover population trends over time.

The 2021 study did not consistently perform field visits during the same time of year. In some years, surveys included periods when piping plovers were actively migrating and in other years surveys only included months when winter residents were likely to be present. They also did not always check both kinds of habitat that are present during each survey.

Point being, the piping plover population being sampled was inconsistent across years. This is important because the occurrence of piping plovers at any given location at any given time is highly variable. Presence or absence may be due to a wide variety of factors unrelated to changes to the population size; birds may simply be someplace else. And, the more times they looked for piping plovers in a year, the higher their population estimate was.

It's also important to understand piping plovers do not nest in Texas. With very few exceptions, piping plovers observed in Texas are either migrating to or from wintering areas further south along the Mexico Gulf Coast or in the Caribbean, or reside in the vicinity over winter. Piping plovers tend to return to the same wintering areas year after year, even when conditions at those wintering areas change due to extreme weather or human-caused disturbance.

Now here’s the kicker: In response to questions about the reliability of their study, Newstead and Hill reanalyzed their data and published a follow-up report (2022) which found no significant change in population abundance of piping plovers at Boca Chica over time. A decreasing trend in abundance over the first three years of the study was balanced by an increase in the final year of the study (once data from additional survey visits was added to the analysis).

For our part, we have conducted nine years of monitoring using a protocol developed with US Fish and Wildlife Services, and for the past two years we have ensured consistent sampling throughout the year by surveying monthly. The findings show little to no strong evidence of trends, either increasing or decreasing, for any of the target species, including piping plovers.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

If you aren't familiar with the grammar of the Times front page layout here it is: The top right story is the lead story, the top left story is the sub-lead everything else above the fold is the important news of the day. Today the New York Times says the second most important story is mounting pressure from senior congressional Dems to push Biden out of the race. The 3rd most important story is a shocking French election results upending all expectations. The MOST important story is Elon Musk's successful space launch destroying nine bird nests.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR_XWl_aMAQB7J2?format=jpg&name=360x360

What’s worse, this story is super misleading!

In one instance it claims, “three years of data collected by the Coastal Bend group near the SpaceX site indicated a 54 percent decline in the threatened piping plover population through 2021.”

This is false. The frequently cited study conducted by Newstead and Hill (2021) is outdated and unreliable for describing potential piping plover population trends over time.

The 2021 study did not consistently perform field visits during the same time of year. In some years, surveys included periods when piping plovers were actively migrating and in other years surveys only included months when winter residents were likely to be present. They also did not always check both kinds of habitat that are present during each survey.

Point being, the piping plover population being sampled was inconsistent across years. This is important because the occurrence of piping plovers at any given location at any given time is highly variable. Presence or absence may be due to a wide variety of factors unrelated to changes to the population size; birds may simply be someplace else. And, the more times they looked for piping plovers in a year, the higher their population estimate was.

It's also important to understand piping plovers do not nest in Texas. With very few exceptions, piping plovers observed in Texas are either migrating to or from wintering areas further south along the Mexico Gulf Coast or in the Caribbean, or reside in the vicinity over winter. Piping plovers tend to return to the same wintering areas year after year, even when conditions at those wintering areas change due to extreme weather or human-caused disturbance.

Now here’s the kicker: In response to questions about the reliability of their study, Newstead and Hill reanalyzed their data and published a follow-up report (2022) which found no significant change in population abundance of piping plovers at Boca Chica over time. A decreasing trend in abundance over the first three years of the study was balanced by an increase in the final year of the study (once data from additional survey visits was added to the analysis).

For our part, we have conducted nine years of monitoring using a protocol developed with US Fish and Wildlife Services, and for the past two years we have ensured consistent sampling throughout the year by surveying monthly. The findings show little to no strong evidence of trends, either increasing or decreasing, for any of the target species, including piping plovers.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there anything these liberal faggots won’t try to ruin?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KonamiCode:
View Quote

Just one thing. The rapacious excesses of the financial sector. But why should they stop? They have been swinging their political power around like a hyperviolent child with a sack of doorknobs for decades now and so far the only resistance they have encountered is a few of them got shot in Wisconsin and some lawsuits here and there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

From what I've read, the launch and cubesat deployment was successful, but the APU that's required for relights shutdown unexpectedly and now the upper stage and its data gathering return vehicles (they weren't going to retrieve them) are stranded in orbit.

Not to completely crap on Arianespace because they nailed the JWST launch.  They hit the center of the target from 1.5 million kilometers away.
View Quote

First launch of a new vehicle usually has issues and yes, they did an excellent job with JWST. I remember a lot of people in GD and the wider internet who were being quite vocal in their expectation that the rocket would go boom or there would be some other fuck up that would destroy or render useless one of the most expensive scientific instruments ever created.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Grid fin.

Yep. I had to let my eyes go out of focus.

You're looking at it from underneath, the blue is the sky. That photo is cool as hell!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Child sex trafficking.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Child sex trafficking.
View All Quotes

Child sex trafficking.

The USA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

If nothing else it should make for some entertaining videos
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fox2008:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR940uEbwAA9v35?format=jpg&name=large

If nothing else it should make for some entertaining videos

Such prang!  So kaboom!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#34]

You're looking at it from underneath, the blue is the sky. That photo is cool as hell!
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

Now you really screwed me up!
The blue is the sky????
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By oregonroofer:

The blue is the sky????
View All Quotes

Grid fin.

The blue is the sky????

My mind wouldn’t process it properly until I zoomed in on one square.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#36]

The blue is the sky????
View Quote

OK OK OK!
Now I see it! The white is the horizontal frame above.
My wife saw it immediately but then again, her IQ is miles above mine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]

OK OK OK!
View All Quotes

The blue is the sky????

OK OK OK!

Holy CRAP that messed me up lol.

I was staring at it trying to make the "blue = sky" make sense and the suddenly it just popped and I could see it. What a crazy picture!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#38]

OK OK OK!
View Quote

I first saw mirrored dragon scales.

Once they told me it was the grid fin, my brain was like, oh, got it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Even the grid fins have reality warping powers!
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Just FYI
They've been doing some sort of Cryo testing of the booster at the OLP today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#42]
~2 launches a month!

https://www.faa.gov/space/stakeholder_engagement/spacex_starship
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
They did a spin prime test today
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

That usually means launch is only a couple of weeks away.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Nice, launching on the anniversary of Apollo 11's launch would definitely be on brand.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Last weeks update showed they had not finished the tile replacement.  I suspect they will do that before they do a full stack test.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#49]
How in the hell did they build the starfactory that fast?

Brownsville is a pretty small town, things must be kind of crazy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 471
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top