BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might dispute that it is the finest ever made... Partly because it's not really so much of a science fiction story as a story set in the future. With a few changes you could have set the movie in the age of sail and kept the basic story.

That being said, it the best of the Star Trek movies and a great movie for the reasons you mention.
View Quote
Because they are all the same...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

https://helenafairfax.com/2013/09/27/the-seven-basic-plots-and-your-favourite-films/

https://screencraft.org/2013/09/13/hollywood-movies-same/

https://www.businessinsider.com/movies-with-the-same-plot-2013-4#10-gran-torino-and-up-10

Star Trek (2009 movie) is a reshoot of TWOK
https://www.quora.com/What-is-Mark-Hughes-theory-about-Star-Trek-2-The-Wrath-of-Khan-Star-Trek-2009-movie-being-the-same-story

Essentially, you can take the story line of boy meets girl, they get married, have drama, find resolution and live happily ever after and you can paint that story line into any timeline, any planet, any society....so on. Same with TWOK. Spaceships in space, sail boats on the high seas in 1800s. You could even do wagoneer in the high plains seas of grass....add or subtract whatever elements of technology you want, but the core elements, human nature will never change.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Satire?  
View Quote
A movie about imperialist white cisgender males trying to keep their military-industrial-complex space boots on the throat of a beautiful, strong native people (who only want to create utopias across the galaxy with the Genesis device), while sacrificing their disadvantaged enlisted cannon fodder to do it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Would have been better with Steven Seagal.

Break some alien commie bones.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A movie about imperialist white cisgender males trying to keep their military-industrial-complex space boots on the throat of a beautiful, strong native people (who only want to create utopias across the galaxy with the Genesis device), while sacrificing their disadvantaged enlisted cannon fodder to do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Satire?  
Wow!

If this is humor, excellent, you got me!  LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about the best ever, but definitely in the top 10.  Easily top 5 for me (millennial).  Despite being made before I could see it in theater,  I think it's amazing what was accomplished without CGI, and actually looks better than CGI with movies like this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It was good but not the greatest sci-fi movie ever

Oh shit view screen doesn't work in nebula,  why not just look out a window ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Spelled starship troopers wrong
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Best Star Trek movie.  Period.  End of story.

Best science fiction movie ever?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Top 5.

And there are some terrible suggestions in this thread as the #1 sci fi movie.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't let the naysayers get you down OP.  I agree with you.  We had a copy of the script in college and used to act out Spock's death scene all the time.  Still brings a tear to my eye.

"I have been and always will be your friend."
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And there are some terrible suggestions in this thread as the #1 sci fi movie.
View Quote
It's GD. What do you expect?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Best Trek movie, hands down.

Absolute best Sci Fi movie would be The Fifth Element.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
yes

It’s really good.

One of those movies you can watch several times and still enjoy.

The wrath of Khan
Excalibur
Fearless
And the Messenger Joan of Arc

They all have that same re watch quality that Hollywood seems to have completely forgotten how to do

I’ll watch it with you op, I’ll make quesadillas
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw this movie in a theater (play style not film theater), two or three years ago and then ol' Bill came out and spoke for about 90 minutes and commented on the film and just about him in general. It was fantastic and the first time I had seen it on the big screen with booming sound.

He's still doing the tour, check it out if he'll be near you. http://williamshatnertour.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Satire?  
Wow!

I mean, I love seeing all those things, but if one doesn't, I can understand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Concur but only that it is the best of the Star Trek flicks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I might dispute that it is the finest ever made... Partly because it's not really so much of a science fiction story as a story set in the future. With a few changes you could have set the movie in the age of sail and kept the basic story.

That being said, it the best of the Star Trek movies and a great movie for the reasons you mention.
View Quote
That is the very definition of good scifi.

In my mind ST6 and ST2 are shoulder to shoulder as the best.  ST2 was Moby Dick in space.  ST6 was Shakespeare in space, and both very well done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh, You misspelled that greatest 80's sci fi movie which was "LifeForce" with the incredible Mathilda May

Sorry but hard to find "post-able" pictures since that nice young Space Vampire Lady has no clothes for most of the movie...

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about all that but, Richardo Montibond did one of the best Villians, if not the best.
Shatner with his curly wig could never act that well.
Looked like he was pissed off at the vacuum sales man.
While Kahn was having full on phsycotic episodes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually, I thought that the TV episode (Space Seed) that the movie was based on was much better than that movie. If that had taken the episode, expanded it to a full length movie, then it would have been spectacular. The movie was just mediocre. As far as science fiction movies, "This Island Earth," "War of the Worlds" (original not crapfest remake), and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original one not crapfest remake), are much better science fiction movies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Finest Trek? Maaaaybe.

Finest Scifi? ...Bro, stop sniffin that Hoppes#9
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Forget SW A New Hope whose sole motif was local boy makes good/zero to hero.

TWOK combines so many elements from Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, not to mention a WWII submarine movies, and blends them seamlessly together in a movie so power and strong if you didn't tear up at the end when you first saw it, you probably drink soy milk and have a man bun and watch Friends reruns on Netflix.

It has powerful themes such as sacrifice and deals with friendship and aging and redemption.  It's character arc of Kirk going from a daring flyboy breaking all the rules to learning that life (and death) doesn't escape anyone is so much more powerful than blowing up a giant super weapon.

Best of all, in today's age of crappy movie making, it didn't destroy the characters the movie was based on or re-imagine them to be something other than what they were in the original series.  It treated women as actual characters who were strong and smart like Dr. Marcus yet capable of loving or Lt. Saavik who was not some Mary Sue, but a fallible female character capable of learning and growing through actual experience during the story.

That's all I got.
View Quote
And you are quite correct.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#26]
That movie cost me a high school girlfriend.

Cute, sweet girl with big firm titties. Also turned out to be a Trekie. Great thought I. There is a new Star Trek movie out, I shall take her to see it and she will be so greatful I will get to see and play with them titties again.

She cried when Spock died. I mean great heaving sobs. After the movie, not being a Trekie my own self, teased her a bit about it. I did not get to see or play with the boobs that night, or ever again.

Stoopid movie.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That movie cost me a high school girlfriend.

Cute, sweet girl with big firm titties. Also turned out to be a Trekie. Great thought I. There is a new Star Trek movie out, I shall take her to see it and she will be so greatful I will get to see and play with them titties again.

She cried when Spock died. I mean great heaving sobs. After the movie, not being a Trekie my own self, teased her a bit about it. I did not get to see or play with the boobs that night, or ever again.

Stoopid movie.
View Quote
Can't blame Star Trek on your inability to close the deal on a somewhat emotionally vulnerable teenage girl.  Come on man, she should have been putty in your hands!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]
It was the best Star Trek movie.

Hell, Avatar was a better Sci-Fi movie.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Fake news, everyone knows its Battlefield Earth with John Travolta

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
2001: A Space Odyssey 50th anniversary 4k HDR disagrees.
View Quote
I bought it.  Gotta get my new TV and UHD player set up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Forbidden Planet is probably one of the best ever made.

The Andromeda Strain (The original 1970's version) is one of the best, if not the best scientifically accurate science fiction movies.

War of the Worlds (1950's) hard to beat.

5 Million years to Earth (or Quatermass and the Pit) very well done movie.

2001 a Space Odyssey. Ground breaking in so many ways.

There are a lot of very good science fiction movies out there - Wrath of Khan was good and enjoyable, but hardly the best.
View Quote
Agree with everything you just said.

There are plenty of other 50's Sci-Fi films besides the classics you mentioned that, when taken in context, are masterpieces:

Them
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Thing From Another World
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Fly
Gojira
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I bought it.  Gotta get my new TV and UHD player set up.
View Quote
It was fucking amazing. There was so much detail I had never seen before, especially when you consider it's all pre-cgi models. So far it is the best 4k movie I've watched as far as quality. Which is crazy considering the age. Just goes to show you how far ahead Kubrick really was with the media he used.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ice cream is a dish best served cold.
View Quote
...And it's very cold...in spaaaaaace.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Any chance it's on Prime or Netflix?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Everything Wrong With Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I always like the part where carol Marcus and kirk are at genius’s cave and she says “ let me show you something wonderful as when the world was new”  it looks like kirk was expecting that carol wanted a little bow wow chick a bom bom
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Stop smoking salvia.

Star Trek is lame.

The best Sci Fi movie ever was Aliens
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#39]

no & no and no OP

for the rplot, characterarch, & style points  you stated cocoon is the best sci fi movie ever.

for reasons not mentioned by OP Predator is the best scifi action  movie

but as far as best sci fi movie ever I'd have to go with John carpenter's the thing.

science fiction is al massive genre. to point at what is essentially a grudge match battle in space  is too ignore some of the greatest themes in scifi
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any chance it's on Prime or Netflix?
View Quote
It looks like it is Prime. It isn't always.. Maybe it is just me, I bought it.  The paid version was a bit different than the theatrical release. Kirk makes an ass of himself in sick bay when Scotty's nephew dies (sorry, no spoiler alerts on near 4 decade old movies), and that same nephew talks shit about Star Fleet command when Kirk arrives for inspection.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw it in the theater about 10 times the Summer it was released.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m inclined to agree.  It’s an absolute masterpiece.

There are lots of great movies in that genre, so I can’t declsre it “the best” for sure, but it’s close for me.

I’d see it over and over again in IMAX if they did a limited re-release.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Certainly the best of TOS based movies. Followed by The Undiscovered Country. I like to pretend ST IV and V never happened.

First Contact is the best of the STTNG based movies. The new Start Trek movies don't do much for me.

I've been watching the new Picard series. I think it's very well done.
View Quote
You mean the one where they made Picard a bitter old fool, who spends every episode getting yelled at by women, and Starfleet and the Federation are now the bad guys and suddenly cursing is in style, even though graphic language was dead by the 23rd century?

That show is as big an insult to Star Trek TNG as The Last Jedi is to Star Wars.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Uh, You misspelled that greatest 80's sci fi movie which was "LifeForce" with the incredible Mathilda May

Sorry but hard to find "post-able" pictures since that nice young Space Vampire Lady has no clothes for most of the movie...

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BPCNR6/mathilda-may-shadow-lifeforce-1985-BPCNR6.jpg
View Quote
A classic for sure. One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Is Kahn's chest real? I say no but some reports say yes.  What says the hive?

Not the best SciFi, Kubrick disagrees.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#46]
The USS Reliant / Córdoba does not make sense.  It lacks a navigation array.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You are not wrong, the music is great too.

Oddly enough as fictional spacecraft go I really like the lines of the Reliant.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/0/05/USS_Reliant.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVIIoRKBlk
View Quote
I always thought the Miranda class was a pretty cool ship. They certainly liked to explode in DS9 though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#48]
[blowjob]V'ger[/blowjob]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#49]
It was better that the first one, but I enjoy others more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Before my time but man.. that villain's voice... has there ever been a better one?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top