[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TNG.
View Quote

Star Trek INtakes: Data Was Worried

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
After all this time and after multiple attempts, I just can't get into TOS.  I can sit through most of the movies just fine, but the series just never drew me in.

Like most people in this thread, I got my start with TNG, so that became the baseline for everything that came after it

DS9 was great, if you skip season 1.  Theres really nothing established there that you can't pick up on in later episodes, and you'll miss all of the garbage episodes.  the only complaint is that the writers forgot that shields exist in later seasons

Voyager was trash.  No continuity, terrible characters, terrible writing.  I liked the idea of it, but the execution missed the mark

ENT was another one that I liked the concept of, but it didnt start getting good until it was too late

Disco I watched all of one episode.  That was enough.  its shit

SNW I've seen clips of, and from that seems ok.  But my ex killed her paramount account, so I'll have to find someplace else to obtain a copy

picard was 2 and a half seasons of shit that was only saved by concentrated nostalgia bombing the last couple episodes

Lower decks is easily the most trek thing I've seen in the last 20 years.  of course thats probably due to again near constant head nods and nostalgia bombs. despite being a cartoon, I imagine that its the most realistic portrayal of starfleet possible

prodigy is a thing which exists.  But its a kids cartoon that stars janeway, and thus I dont give a shit

I think the takeaway here is that skipping the first season of any trek show is probably in your best interest
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After all this time and after multiple attempts, I just can't get into TOS.  I can sit through most of the movies just fine, but the series just never drew me in.

Like most people in this thread, I got my start with TNG, so that became the baseline for everything that came after it

DS9 was great, if you skip season 1.  Theres really nothing established there that you can't pick up on in later episodes, and you'll miss all of the garbage episodes.  the only complaint is that the writers forgot that shields exist in later seasons

Voyager was trash.  No continuity, terrible characters, terrible writing.  I liked the idea of it, but the execution missed the mark

ENT was another one that I liked the concept of, but it didnt start getting good until it was too late

SNW I've seen clips of, and from that seems ok.  But my ex killed her paramount account, so I'll have to find someplace else to obtain a copy

picard was 2 and a half seasons of shit that was only saved by concentrated nostalgia bombing the last couple episodes

Lower decks is easily the most trek thing I've seen in the last 20 years.  of course thats probably due to again near constant head nods and nostalgia bombs. despite being a cartoon, I imagine that its the most realistic portrayal of starfleet possible

prodigy is a thing which exists.  But its a kids cartoon that stars janeway, and thus I dont give a shit

I think the takeaway here is that skipping the first season of any trek show is probably in your best interest
View Quote

Season 1 DS9 has one of the best trek episodes of all time of any series (Duet)

But yeah, most of the rest of the season is pretty forgettable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Season 1 DS9 has one of the best trek episodes of all time of any series (Duet)

But yeah, most of the rest of the season is pretty forgettable.
View Quote
duet was season 1? huh I thought it came later.  That and episode1 are all that really need watched.  the rest of the season isnt just forgettable, its bad.

move along home
babel
even the Q episode was kinda shit

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
duet was season 1? huh I thought it came later.  That and episode1 are all that really need watched.  the rest of the season isnt just forgettable, its bad.

move along home
babel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etc8qdqiR5k
View Quote

Supercut - Benjamin Sisko Yelling at Everyone
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

move along home
babel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etc8qdqiR5k
View Quote

Emissary is decent and establishes everyone, especially Sisko.  On rewatch now, I skip a lot of the Prophet vision stuff, just because it’s slow.

Past Prologue is decent.

A Man Alone is decent.

Babel is meh.

Captive Pursuit is meh.

Q Less isn’t very good.

Dax is decent.

The Passenger is semi-meh.

Move Along Home sucks.

The Nagus is meh.  It does establish some recurring characters, so worth watching once.

Vortex is semi-decent.

Battle Lines isn’t very good.

The Storyteller isn’t very good.

Progress is semi-decent.  Good acting but slow.

If Wishes Were Horses is meh.

The Forsaken is meh.

Dramatis Personae is meh.

Duet is amazing and is one of the best ever.

In the Hands of the Prophets is decent and establishes major recurring characters.

On rewatch, I skip about half the episodes.  Way better than TNG which only had at most  three watchable episodes in S1.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I celebrate his entire catalog.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Season 1 of Strange New Worlds is free on Youtube if you want to check it out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Last night I finished season 1 of SNW. It's available free on Amazon Prime through the end of the month. For the most part I thought it was good.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last night I finished season 1 of SNW. It's available free on Amazon Prime through the end of the month. For the most part I thought it was good.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Season 2 tonight
Looking forward to it...
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Season 2 starts TONIGHT.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I was able to watch on Paramount+. Not a bad episode.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.  I really liked episode 10.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Season 2 tonight
Looking forward to it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Season 2 tonight
Looking forward to it...

Just watched the first 4 episodes. Not bad. Strange that the intro looks like 480p video. Whatever. I liked the shows.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Season 2 starts TONIGHT.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Season 2 starts TONIGHT.

I watched Episode 1 of Season 2 this morning.   I liked it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I like TOS and TNG the same, but... apples and oranges.

DS9 was deeper, until they copped out and brought Worf on board.

Voyager almost always sucked.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess I need to check out LD and SNW.  What I heard of Discovery was so universally negative, I just figured Trek was dead.

Can you watch Picard S3 without seeing 1-2?  Guess I could read a synopsis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like TOS and TNG the same, but... apples and oranges.

DS9 was deeper, until they copped out and brought Worf on board.

Voyager almost always sucked.
View Quote

DS9 hits its stride when they bring in Worf.

His character development on DS9 is orders of magnitude better than in TNG
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, this feels disturbingly familiar.

I believe they said, “set phasers to hyperdeath. Stun doesn’t work in this case.”
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, this feels disturbingly familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HVi5Kt--64

I believe they said, “set phasers to hyperdeath. Stun doesn’t work in this case.”
View Quote

Doctor, one does not beam down to Starfleet Headquarters armed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guess I need to check out LD and SNW.  What I heard of Discovery was so universally negative, I just figured Trek was dead.

View Quote
Yes

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Picard died and got put in something like a living machine body.
Riker and Troi got married, had two kids, one died.
7of9 went freelance, got an (now ex) girlfriend, rejoined starfleet.

There you go.  S3 has almost nothing to do with the first two seasons. It does tie in with DS9 and the Dominion War.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I binged watched the first season episodes of Strange New Worlds showing free on YouTube.  I really kinda liked it.  That inspired me to sign up for Paramount Plus and I started watching Star Trek Picard.  Surprisingly, I'm on about the fifth episode and I kinda like it too.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I binged watched the first season episodes of Strange New Worlds showing free on YouTube.  I really kinda liked it.  That inspired me to sign up for Paramount Plus and I started watching Star Trek Picard.  Surprisingly, I'm on about the fifth episode and I kinda like it too.

View Quote

I will watch episode 10 of S1 this afternoon. I see Paramount+ in my future. How much does it cost?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I will watch episode 10 of S1 this afternoon. I see Paramount+ in my future. How much does it cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the $4.99 a month plan.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit.
I don't see, "The mayor of ________" show in their ad. Is that still going?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Were the Gorn retconned for Strange New Worlds or were they always Xenomorph/Magog like?
I don't recall that from Star Trek Online and the only other time the Gorn were seen was that One TOS episode and that other Enterprise Mirror Universe episode.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Which episode is that?

(Trick question.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TOS - Season 1, Episode 1.

Which episode is that?

(Trick question.)

The Pilot
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]
Also, I'm on Star Trek: Online alot if any of you are as well.
View Quote

been playing since launch up until my son was born. despite its flaws, its a fun game. theyve done well to bring back some trek actors and give it a good trek feel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Were the Gorn retconned for Strange New Worlds or were they always Xenomorph/Magog like?
I don't recall that from Star Trek Online and the only other time the Gorn were seen was that One TOS episode and that other Enterprise Mirror Universe episode.
View Quote

They appear to be retconned and fleshed out. In TOS "Arena" it was clear that the Federation had not previously encountered the Gorn.

This is one case where I'm OK with retconning.

Gorn, you scary.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Pilot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TOS - Season 1, Episode 1.

Which episode is that?

(Trick question.)

The Pilot

The pilot was "The Cage", which never aired.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Paramount Plus put the first episode of Season 2 of Strange New Worlds up on their YouTube channel.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Fairly big ST fan...not convention goer but seen most all episodes multiple times.

Didn't read all 5 pages so some things were already covered.

TOS-revolutionary for its time, too short and many episodes don't well

TNG-Grew up on this so near and dear to me. Seasons 1-3 were sterile but decent-Really picked up after that. Really, really good writing in those later episodes-like some epidoses you're so hooked you realize nothing special happened.  Also really enjoyed those episodes where they focused on specific cast/crew members...especially the one about the group of FNG's.

DS-9-Probably top or 2nd to TNG IMO. More gritty, frontier like. Sisko's pimp hand is strong

Voyager-Meh. Year of hell was good, but some characters were cardboard cutouts. Should have cut/killed off Kim, Neelix and Kex after 1st season

Enterprise-So much potential, but results are meh. Super crappy finale. Only thing great about this series is probably the hottest collection of chicks out of them all.

Star Trek: Discovery-Dumpster fire. Full on woke. Avoid at all costs. Should be deleted out of the genre.

Strange New Worlds-Got a bunch of wokeness but tries to balance it with TOS action. More woke than not. Solid 5-6 out of 10

Picard: Season 1-2. Another dumpster fire. Avoid. BUT Season 3 was AWESOME. Pulled in the things that people loved about TNG and exploited it to the fullest...and I ate it up.

Below Decks-Never saw but what I heard...No good.

My verdict TNG=DS9>TOS>Voyager>Enterprise>Strange New Worlds>Picard (only bc Season 3)>Discovery.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Nurse Chapel and Spock better get together or I'm gonna be pissed off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They appear to be retconned and fleshed out. In TOS "Arena" it was clear that the Federation had not previously encountered the Gorn.
This is one case where I'm OK with retconning.
Gorn, you scary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nurse Chapel and Spock better get together or I'm gonna be pissed off.
View Quote

It's a different time line so they just might.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fairly big ST fan...not convention goer but seen most all episodes multiple times.

TNG-Grew up on this so near and dear to me. Seasons 1-3 were sterile but decent-Really picked up after that. Really, really good writing in those later episodes-like some epidoses you're so hooked you realize nothing special happened.  Also really enjoyed those episodes where they focused on specific cast/crew members...especially the one about the group of FNG's.

DS-9-Probably top or 2nd to TNG IMO. More gritty, frontier like. Sisko's pimp hand is strong

Voyager-Meh. Year of hell was good, but some characters were cardboard cutouts. Should have cut/killed off Kim, Neelix and Kex after 1st season

Enterprise-So much potential, but results are meh. Super crappy finale. Only thing great about this series is probably the hottest collection of chicks out of them all.

Star Trek: Discovery-Dumpster fire. Full on woke. Avoid at all costs. Should be deleted out of the genre.

Strange New Worlds-Got a bunch of wokeness but tries to balance it with TOS action. More woke than not. Solid 5-6 out of 10

Picard: Season 1-2. Another dumpster fire. Avoid. BUT Season 3 was AWESOME. Pulled in the things that people loved about TNG and exploited it to the fullest...and I ate it up.

Lower Below Decks-Never saw but what I heard...No good.

My verdict TNG=DS9>TOS>Voyager>Enterprise>Strange New Worlds>Picard (only bc Season 3)>Discovery.
View Quote

I dont know what you have been hearing, but Lower Decks is GREAT. it's good ST and funny to boot.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I dont know what you have been hearing, but Lower Decks is GREAT. it's good ST and funny to boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gotta be a major geek to get the references.

BTW, isn't season 4 due about now?

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometime this summer is all they are saying
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We really want to see this:
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Cast on Lower Decks Crossover
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Actually I liked Star Trek Voyager the best.

7 of 9 comes to mind....

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you'd have to be a major geek to get all of the references, but even most normies would get the surface level stuff

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
you'd have to be a major geek to get all of the references, but even most normies would get the surface level stuff

View Quote

I'm not sure why, but the dog turning into a cinder block and then rolling around had me in stitches.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why, but the dog turning into a cinder block and then rolling around had me in stitches.

View Quote
Nah. The entire Bozeman theme park did it for me.  right down to the jake sisko cosby sweater

Stealing The Phoenix • Star Trek Lower Decks Season 3 | S03E01

And obligatory DS9 reference

Lower Decks - USS Cerritos in awe of the pylons

Ah hell I forgot about the trial. this was great for an early episode

Boimler Tells Truth About Starfleet Officers - Star Trek Lower Decks 1x08

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Last nights episode of DS9. They just about nailed what 2024 San Francisco is probably going to look like except I think they were a tad optimistic. They walled up the crazy people and welfare seekers instead of letting them have the run of the city and allegedly in that timeline they had effective treatments for schizophrenia?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Last nights episode of DS9. They just about nailed what 2024 San Francisco is probably going to look like except I think they were a tad optimistic. They walled up the crazy people and welfare seekers instead of letting them have the run of the city and allegedly in that timeline they had effective treatments for schizophrenia?
View Quote
Ah, you watched the two-parter Belle Riots episode.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the best part of that scene was that after ‘The Dog’ rolled off screen that everyone carried on like it’s just another day in Star Fleet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#48]
It's interesting no one is talking about season 2 of Strange New Worlds.  Three episodes in and I'm losing interest in the show.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's interesting no one is talking about season 2 of Strange New Worlds.  Three episodes in and I'm losing interest in the show.
View Quote

Episode 2 Social Justice League thing they had going on...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top