Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy fuck. Not gonna lie, took one look, busted out laughing.
Who the fuck gave that the green light?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It occurred to me immediately that this was in very poor taste, yet they had the time to plan and build all this and thought it was acceptable.
View Quote

We should just forget that it ever happened…
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude, if you lived there, you would understand.  I swear it's something in the fucking water.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow, there are some monumentally stupid people who thought that was a good idea...

This is a justifiable reason to make fun of dumb Republicans, just what we need in this climate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wow, there are some monumentally stupid people who thought that was a good idea...

This is a justifiable reason to make fun of dumb Republicans, just what we need in this climate.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. That ship sailed, struck a 'berg and sank so long ago the movie they made about it released on betamax.

Quoted:

The GOPe.  Snatching defeat out of victory for nearly forty years.

Yeah, cuz it's just the establishment types who're embarrassing like that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Next year they'll have some RC planes crash into them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude, if you lived there, you would understand.  I swear it's something in the fucking water.
View Quote
For Christ's sake, I was at the Trade Center on 9/11, and I can't even get offended by it. It's in such bad taste, it's comical.
It's like something you'd see in a Christopher Guest movie, like Waiting For Guffman.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's like something out of a parks and rec episode.
View Quote

I was thinking more like Dwight Schrute.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
How profoundly stupid do you have to be to think this was a good idea?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was thinking more like Dwight Schrute.
View Quote
IT IS YOUR BIRTHDAY.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Valparaiso, Indiana? Was Military Arms Channel involved in this decision?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For Christ's sake, I was at the Trade Center on 9/11, and I can't even get offended by it. It's in such bad taste, it's comical.
It's like something you'd see in a Christopher Guest movie, like Waiting For Guffman.
View Quote

I think people are conflating being appalled at the stupidity and being offended.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Jfc......

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Valparaiso, Indiana? Was Military Arms Channel involved in this decision?
View Quote
Does MAC live there? That explains a lot? I got out of there in 2001, thank God.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

or like maintaining Auschwitz, ovens and all, as a reminder to never forget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you think this was stupid then what do you think the appropriate float for 9/11 would be?

Some things are not "float"able, out of respect.  Floats are whimsical, silly or whatnot.  9/11 is not a good centerpiece for a middle schoolers attempt at... whatever, with chicken wire and paper mache.

This is like having a holocaust themed birthday cake ffs.

or like maintaining Auschwitz, ovens and all, as a reminder to never forget.

When they have a marching band dressed up like auschwitz prisoners for Mayberry's annual squash festival parade, you may have a point.

It doesn't make it any less stupid just because it happened to be Republicans doing it.  I don't defend asshattery.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a prop for the next Borat movie
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who thought that was a good idea?
View Quote
This a good question. It looks like the bad idea fairy came in and dropped this idea off and saw it through to completion
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I guess it is a similar mentality of wearing a crucifix. Seems odd to me to wear a torture/murder device that killed Christ.
View Quote

Not really. Christ sacrificed Himself for us. The result of the crucifixion was a good thing, giving us life over death. 9/11 was not a sacrifice nor did something universally positive come from it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agree, but I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of videos that show the horror of that day. This was not the right venue to show something like that. But that's just my opinion.
View Quote
But at least per another thread in GD, we have adults in the US who have never watched one of them.

Always remember, never forget - oh unless we don't want to remember because the current party in charge wants to do it better next time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Up until the parade you know the builders / creators / designers thought this was going to be one of the greatest things they had ever done. Pats on the back, applause, praise, articles in the local paper etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
What's his username here?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd like to see the meeting where someone pitched that idea for the float.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's like something out of a parks and rec episode.
View Quote

I was thinking the Muppet Show.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We had a thread here the other day "Where were you when the first tower was struck".  I'm going to assume the that GOP group was trying bring out that type of feeling/memory so that people didn't forget the horror of what happened but they executed that poorly.

View Quote

I think/hope that's what they were going for, but yes, massive failure in conveying that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I mean...still better than being okay with allowing trannies read to elementary school kids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Every once in a while, you see something like this and you're just amazed that...

1. Adults were in charge, and...

2. Not one of them had the good sense to say, "Hold up a minute."
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Bad taste, should have known better.  but then again GOP

A lot of the soc media comments look like opportune feigned offense.

Probably a lot of work put in by well meaning kids who were failed by adults and will now be shamed into being America hating leftist woke SJWs.

Bravo GOP
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems poorly planned out
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#29]

The front license plate appears to be covered up :

Attachment Attached File

Why?

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The thing that bothers me the most is this isn't some single crazy dude hidden in his garage that randomly wheeled it out that day. This was a group effort created by a committee. Like how many layers of "Yes, this is a great idea, proceed!" did they go through? Didn't anyone raise an objection?

Surprised they didn't have tiny action figures falling out of the windows with a mini conveyor belt underneath that lifts them back up for another fall.

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I thought the smoke was from the Ford towing it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Was this someone’s idea of a tasteless joke…? Wow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Family Guy: Mayoral Debate (Clip) | TBS
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
holy shit
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#35]
"Neva been done befo" (first thing that came to mind)

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Even if you thought that was a good idea for a float, wouldn't you look at the fininshed product and think something along the lines of "yeah this probably isn't something we should put in a parade"
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sometimes people need to be reminded of what actually happened. Some of the soldiers killed last month were not even born when it happened.

Evil needs to be shown what it is. And sometimes the suffering of people is what it takes to make sure that history isn't forgotten.

9/11 wasn't "just some people doing something" and most Islam isn't the religion of peace.

If showing the burning buildings with heart wrenching last words is what it takes for people to realize what were facing as a country, and world. Then so be it.
View Quote
agreed. It’s offensive to some. But to others it’s a stark reminder of the terrible event.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Reminds me of Idiocracy and the Time Masheen
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Tacky
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, except this doesn't do any of that.    It crosses the line of Tacky, and goes solidly into the heart of Hilarity.    
It honestly looks like something the Talibs would throw together to “Commemorate”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, except this doesn't do any of that.    It crosses the line of Tacky, and goes solidly into the heart of Hilarity.    
It honestly looks like something the Talibs would throw together to “Commemorate”.

Quoted:

It's a fucking parade at a popcorn festival, about as far from an appropriate venue for something like that as you can get. There are plenty of ways to honor those who died on 9/11 that aren't nearly that classless.

Both of these comments are spot on.

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The thing that bothers me the most is this isn't some single crazy dude hidden in his garage that randomly wheeled it out that day. This was a group effort created by a committee. Like how many layers of "Yes, this is a great idea, proceed!" did they go through? Didn't anyone raise an objection?

Surprised they didn't have tiny action figures falling out of the windows with a mini conveyor belt underneath that lifts them back up for another fall.

View Quote

Would need to make them out of play doh and make them splat when they hit. Seriously this was a really, really bad idea. Everyone on that committee should’ve been fired.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you the guy that shows up at the parade with the anti-abortion float featuring giant pictures of dead fetuses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes people need to be reminded of what actually happened. Some of the soldiers killed last month were not even born when it happened.

Evil needs to be shown what it is. And sometimes the suffering of people is what it takes to make sure that history isn't forgotten.

9/11 wasn't "just some people doing something" and most Islam isn't the religion of peace.

If showing the burning buildings with heart wrenching last words is what it takes for people to realize what were facing as a country, and world. Then so be it.

Are you the guy that shows up at the parade with the anti-abortion float featuring giant pictures of dead fetuses?

No. I would be the person there with pictures of DEAD BABIES. Because thats what they are. And, comments like yours are why we need to be reminded that they are babies, and not just a "fetus."

And comments like yours is quite similar to "some people did something" and exactly why we need to be reminded that Muslims flew planes into the tallest buildings on earth, and murdered thousands of innocent people in gruesome manner.

When you start to change history to make it more palatable, you lose that history. When you start to call things by different words to not say what they actually are, that's how you justify murdering babies because you think of them as something else.

Sometimes the truth hurts. But you no matter how much you hid the truth to make reality more palatable, it's still the truth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ... I'm surprised they weren't playing Dave Matthew's Band "Crash", or Third Eye Blind's "Jumper".
View Quote

C’mon man, you forgot VH?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow. A float of people being murdered.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9/11 damn near destroyed my future, and it did destroy my optimism, but this doesn’t offend me in the least.   To be honest, It was the first 9/11 related thing that ever made me chuckle.  
Because you know they were so well meaning in their intentions, but the execution was just so terrible.     Ironic, unintentional humor is the best kind.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top