Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2019 6:37:56 PM EDT
I'm finally getting around to watching this series.  They make such a big deal about "methylamine" and how hard it is to obtain, and sure enough it's restricted as a "precursor chemical" by the DEA.

But here's the thing:  I looked it up, and synthesizing it is something that any non-idiot high school chemistry student could do.  Mix four chemicals, three of which are common household supplies, the fourth of which is common and unrestricted and also easy to make if necessary.  Wa-la, out comes methylamine.  Even using "dump it in a bucket and stir"-level chemistry.

Heisenberg is supposed to be some sort of super-chemist.  Why doesn't he just hit the grocery store and mix the stuff up himself instead of hijacking trains and murdering kids to cover it up?

Bonus question: why does the DEA even bother to restrict it?  Even if there's no household use for it, if making it is so easy, what's the point?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Because it was in the script.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, no methlamine , no Lydia.
Capisce?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So...... are you a school teacher
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a chemist. Not a 100% sure answer. Most chemicals you buy at the store are a fraction of their potency. Ammonia, bleach, etc are mostly water or other chemicals.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Adds to the entertainment value. It's a TV show not a factual documentary about how to be a meth dealer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Making methylamine and making pure enough methylamine are two different things. Household chemicals are generally very dilute.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen this addressed in a YT video.

Yeah, it was just a story line. The writers were aware that it's not hard to make.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
He's the only one that could make the blue stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm finally getting around to watching this series.  They make such a big deal about "methylamine" and how hard it is to obtain, and sure enough it's restricted as a "precursor chemical" by the DEA.

But here's the thing:  I looked it up, and synthesizing it is something that any non-idiot high school chemistry student could do.  Mix four chemicals, three of which are common household supplies, the fourth of which is common and unrestricted and also easy to make if necessary.  Wa-la, out comes methylamine.  Even using "dump it in a bucket and stir"-level chemistry.

Heisenberg is supposed to be some sort of super-chemist.  Why doesn't he just hit the grocery store and mix the stuff up himself instead of hijacking trains and murdering kids to cover it up?

Bonus question: why does the DEA even bother to restrict it?  Even if there's no household use for it, if making it is so easy, what's the point?
View Quote
You better hide your dog(s)
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wa-la
View Quote
The dash is silent

Also, fpni
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
We'd have never known how psycho Todd was without this plot line...
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Methlamine manufactured dope sucks too. Low quality, 1970s biker crank at best.

It was just part of the story to make it interesting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, ok, I get it, "it's just a movie."  So why does the DEA bother to restrict it?  It's like banning 3D-printed guns, anyone who wants to can still do it.

Quoted:
View Quote
But it's not.

Quoted:
So...... are you a school teacher
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]
It might be time to rewatch BB. Thanks op.

Wendy / Windy Breaking Bad & The Association

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen this addressed in a YT video.

Yeah, it was just a story line. The writers were aware that it's not hard to make.
View Quote
Long before Breaking Bad came out I read a book called No Speed Limit. In it there is a guy who writes under the pseudonym Uncle Fester. Kind of a druggo version of Ragnar Benson. He published detailed instructions on how to not only cook meth. But synthesize precursor chemicals.

If memory serves at the end of the show Walt got into the bad guys lair by offering a new technique to synthesize methlamyne. I suppose "Uncle Fester" didn't exist in that world.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
It was all about his products purity,plus it was in the script
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhRoY-Utxo

View Quote
Wendy, played by Julie Minesci.

Wendy
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Say my name
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Most people didn’t know that and just watched the show. It’s not a documentary.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Just watch the show n shut up !!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I always assumed it was the only way to get the volume he needed and to keep it as pure as he needed
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Heisenberg made his reputation making the purest Meth. You aren't going to make the purest Meth mixing chemicals from under the sink.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heisenberg made his reputation making the purest Meth. You aren't going to make the purest Meth mixing chemicals from under the sink.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought it was about purity
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
You are correct—it’s readily synthesized by anyone savvy enough to be an organic chemistry PhD.  I was disappointed in this part of the series for that very reason.  But just like gun oopses & superhero superpowers —It’s a plot device used by the writers for artistic license—not a chemistry class.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s a plot device. Breaking Bad is a drama, not a scientifically accurate docudrama on methamphetamie production.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Tree fiddy?

For a teenth?!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Wala???

You mouth-breathers can't even bastardize 'Voila' correctly.

Geez...

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#31]
My brother is a chemist in the DEA. Part of his entrance exam was making meth. He said the method they used on Breaking Bad makes very low-quality meth.

Just try watching breaking bad with a guy who is an actual chemist who has made those drugs. It’s a complete buzz kill.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
They wanted to write a character driven dramatic television series, not teach people how to actually make meth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Magnets bitch!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Uh, cause it was written that way for maximum depressing drama...
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wendy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wendy
oh, thought she was played by that other well known crack whore...who i cant recall at this moment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I love that show. A buddy who is a chemical engineer and my wife who is a Pharmacist ruined it for me. There is no art to the cook! They both explained with access to the chemicals anyone can make meth chemically perfect pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't be surprised if the show intentionally didn't want to show how easy it really is to make meth.

Making it look like you need a hard to get chemical kind of keeps some heat off of the show.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was using "buy the stuff from Safeway and dump it together in a bucket" to illustrate how trivial it is.  He could have done his fancy titration and extraction and sciency shit to make it 100% pure if he wanted to, because he was le geenious.

Look, I don't ask Hollywood to be 100% realistic in every depiction, but at least don't throw in a gaping gangrenous asshole of a plot device just because 87% of their audience is stupid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The dash is silent

Also, fpni
View Quote
You mean, its not "Wah-dash-lah"?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dash is silent

Also, fpni
My aunt's cousin's roommate knows someone named wah-dash-la, really it's def true
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#41]
There's no crystal rock you can throw on the floor and blow up a building with either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Methlamine manufactured dope sucks too. Low quality, 1970s biker crank at best.

View Quote
Hank even said that when they first found the blue meth.

"Somebody's cooking old school biker meth"
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
The actress who plays that hooker said when she was shooting that scene somebody came up and actually tried to hire her for sex and she thought it was part of the scene because they had all these male extras in crappy cars keep driving up to her to get different shots for that montage and some random guy driving by saw her and thought she was working.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My brother is a chemist in the DEA. Part of his entrance exam was making meth. He said the method they used on Breaking Bad makes very low-quality meth.

Just try watching breaking bad with a guy who is an actual chemist who has made those drugs. It’s a complete buzz kill.
View Quote
And that's exactly how he feels when he watches any action movie ever made with someone who knows a lot about guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Making methylamine and making pure enough methylamine are two different things. Household chemicals are generally very dilute.
View Quote
This. Walter is a perfectionist and his product is pure. His goal wasn't to make some nasty bath tub crank OP. You should feel bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#46]
If you want garage meth, you make your methylamine.

If you want top shelf, lab made meth, you use lab grade methylamine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#47]
And he threw an unsliced pizza on the roof!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
But can he make the bomb ass Chili P, yo?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#50]
1) They aren't going to actually tell you how to make meth on a show watched by millions of people.

2) I have worked in a jail for the last 20 years.  The average guy with average intelligence is like Einstein when surrounded by inmates.
(not the dudes in for a weekend for a DUI, but people who live the criminal lifestyle)
(the ones that get caught at least)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top