Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2022 10:17:46 AM EDT
If you are in any way familiar with Dr. Berry, you already know his stance on this. And science has proven this to be the case as well.  But I think a large majority of folks still aren't getting the message or are in denial about the destructive nature of the Big Food business, which has a MUCH higher body count than Big Pharma.  Anyways, enjoy and then cuss and discuss!

Starting KETO (7 Ketogenic Veggies You Can Eat) 2024
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve tried to quit sugar cold turkey, twice. I legitimately thought I was going to die.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried to quit sugar cold turkey, twice. I legitimately thought I was going to die.
View Quote

I didn't watch the video, but I tend to believe the theory about gut bacteria causing sugar cravings. I've been looking into some flushes and fermented foods to try to remedy it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've tried to quit sugar cold turkey, twice. I legitimately thought I was going to die.
View Quote
unless you follow a keto diet, you are still eating a fuckton of sugar, you just dont know it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course its addicting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#6]
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It is, but it's not like heroin or booze, you aren't going to be violently shaking while coming down.

You're just going to be all pissed off for a few days.

That said, simple carbs aren't really a bad thing when used in moderation if you body can handle them.

We did a late night floor recently and I was fucking gassed by 9pm. I had been drinking plenty of water all day, and whole milk, meat, boiled eggs, etc.

I drove down to the gas station and grabbed a normal sized gatorade (not the light shit, the good stuff) and slammed it. Felt a million times better within 20 minutes and was able to stay on the floor for another two hours to finish up.

Just a little insulin dump and some salt to help recover from the calories I had been blowing through all day long.

I don't make it a habit to seek out loads of sugar, but I'm not opposed to it every now and then.

When I was in ketosis as an experiment (I was in for over a month) I regularly gassed out at work, it sucked. It sucked even more because I wasn't hungry and I knew I needed calories.

I broke out of that and decided to just stay low-moderate carb instead, I'm not fat and I go through a lot of calories on any given work day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Everything is a crisis, respond accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this the guy from F-Troop?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
unless you follow a keto diet, you are still eating a fuckton of sugar, you just dont know it.
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck yes it's real.
Fortunately stuff like slurpees are not the kind of thing to cause you to destroy the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
It is bad stuff. It also causes coronary disease by damaging the lining of arteries and that damage is where a blockage starts in people with small lipo proteins.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wrong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

I'll bite.
Why is he wrong ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I quit cold turkey about 2.5yrs ago, been sugar free ever since.
Lost 22lbs in the first month after quitting, with no diet or exercise changes except no sugar.
Fuck sugar.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll bite.
Why is he wrong ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong

I'll bite.
Why is he wrong ?
@goodasgone81
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is, but it's not like heroin or booze, you aren't going to be violently shaking while coming down.

That said, simple carbs aren't really a bad thing when used in moderation if you body can handle them.

We did a late night floor recently and I was fucking gassed by 9pm. I had been drinking plenty of water all day, and whole milk, meat, boiled eggs, etc.

I drove down to the gas station and grabbed a normal sized gatorade (not the light shit, the good stuff) and slammed it. Felt a million times better within 20 minutes and was able to stay on the floor for another two hours to finish up.

Just a little insulin dump and some salt to help recover from the calories I had been blowing through all day long.

I don't make it a habit to seek out loads of sugar, but I'm not opposed to it every now and then.

When I was in ketosis as an experiment (I was in for over a month) I regularly gassed out at work, it sucked. It sucked even more because I wasn't hungry and I knew I needed calories.

I broke out of that and decided to just stay low-moderate carb instead
, I'm not fat and I go through a lot of calories on any given work day.
View Quote
bolded is the path I took.  Keto and the other stricter regimes left me without enough fuel in the tank.

And, the sugar addiction is real. Fuck that high fructose corn syrup crap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Everything is loaded with it. Takes extreme dedication to just limit sugar to a reasonable level let alone give it up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I quit sugar cold turkey one week ago.  I was eating WAY too much daily and starting to pay the price.  It's been a very rough week.  It's really affecting my attitude and I've had pretty bad anger issues.  Hopefully it gets better with time.

ETA:  I started weight watchers so I know I'm still eating some sugar.  What I mean is I stopped all sweets, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah. You go through keto flu when you get off sugars.  It’s like going through withdrawals.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I didn't watch the video, but I tend to believe the theory about gut bacteria causing sugar cravings. I've been looking into some flushes and fermented foods to try to remedy it.
View Quote

Right from the start in the old days baby formula and doctors insisting mother's milk was bad for babies & big formula was better.

Big Pharma however had a hand in that one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I love Dr. Berry.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I quit sugar cold turkey one week ago.  I was eating WAY too much daily and starting to pay the price.  It's been a very rough week.  It's really affecting my attitude and I've had pretty bad anger issues.  Hopefully it gets better with time.
View Quote

It will get better, but it will take time.
I had a dr pepper and candy bar habit.
Took me 30-45 days to quit "missing it".
Anger and headaches the first 2 weeks for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#25]
dr cywes also.
Ep:02 Understanding Carb Addiction Part 1 - by Dr. Robert Cywes
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Right from the start in the old days baby formula and doctors insisting mother's milk was bad for babies & big formula was better.

Big Pharma however had a hand in that one.
View Quote

Ya...the entire premise that fats cause heart disease so it's somehow healthier to remove fats from foods and substitute with sugars seems like it may have been the wrong move (from a health standpoint, not a shareholder one).
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Refined sugar is addictive poison.
There is no question about that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#28]
It's real. You can study food history as well, sugar wasn't a part of the diet. It's an addictive drug added to food to make you crave more. It increases your appetite. Try substituting a fat; nuts, cheese etc when your craving sweets.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Most" of todays fruits in the grocery store are loaded with sugar for the "sweet taste".
"Most" didn't come with the higher sugar content from mother nature.

I don't blame farmers, if I was in their shoes, I'd grow what people wanted also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I broke out of that and decided to just stay low-moderate carb instead, I'm not fat and I go through a lot of calories on any given work day.
View Quote

Basically this.  It probably varies on the individual, as when I tried Keto I wasn't pissed off with no sugar, just tired all the time.  I decided to go low carb afterwards.

I had the same thing with my workouts when carbs are too low.  I was getting totally gassed out early on in the workouts, trying to struggle through it drinking more and more caffeine to power through it.  Eventually I watched some more MPMD and Doucette vids, and decided to throw some more carbs back in.  That worked, and I was able to cut back on the caffeine.

It's fucking balance.  Yeah, if your only source of carbs are Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and the sugar in the McDonald's buns yeah it's bad for you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

How much that extends to complex carbohydrates is more complex.  I try to stay away from refined sugar/high fructose corn syrup, but even that is difficult unless you start meals from scratch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#32]
OST

I cut sweets out of my diet (cookies, cake, sugary snacks etc) and dropped about 6 - 7 lbs in a month without changing anything else in my lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OST

I cut sweets out of my diet (cookies, cake, sugary snacks etc) and dropped about 6 - 7 lbs in a month without changing anything else in my lifestyle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well did you die? What did you physically feel as far as symptoms?

I believe it's a psychological issue along with a physical addiction. Not as bad as heroine, but the amount of sugar in the average American diet is deadly.

I stopped eating sugar a few months ago, and my insulin resistance went away as soon as I did, and now my sensitivity has fully returned. I believe had I not done so, I would have suffered hart disease, or cancer or both topped off with dementia otherwise known as type three diabetes. A bottle of Heinze catchup is 1/3 sugar, it's in almost all processed foods, and sugar is a highly processed material.
I fasted for 18 days in December/January, then went to one meal a day, and now i'm 3 days into my next fast. I haven't felt this physically good in a couple of decades.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#35]
In honor of this thread I just ate a pop tart to fuel up for a workout in about an hour.

Strawberry flavored goop gives me the energy I need to power through the day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Basically this.  It probably varies on the individual, as when I tried Keto I wasn't pissed off with no sugar, just tired all the time.  I decided to go low carb afterwards.

I had the same thing with my workouts when carbs are too low.  I was getting totally gassed out early on in the workouts, trying to struggle through it drinking more and more caffeine to power through it.  Eventually I watched some more MPMD and Doucette vids, and decided to throw some more carbs back in.  That worked, and I was able to cut back on the caffeine.

It's fucking balance.  Yeah, if your only source of carbs are Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and the sugar in the McDonald's buns yeah it's bad for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only instance were avoiding most carbs probably makes sense is those that were either born diabetic or mangled themselves with their diet and became diabetic.

My father in law is a good example. He was diagnosed with type 2 in his late 50's. He cut back on simple carbs but has pretty much refused to give up stuff like potatoes or bread.

I'm sure it's difficult after decades of certain food choices, but he isn't even good at moderating it. Rather than meat with a side of potatoes, it's potatoes with a side of meat. The other night he said he had been craving pizza for weeks, so that's what we had and he had a slice. That's fine, you have to live life a bit, but then he went back for two more and his wife scolded him and said his sugar would be up in the morning.

His reply was "Well, I can't do anything about that". You can, control yourself a little.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't like sugar, and sweets are my least favorite food, but sugar and carbs are in everything.  It's hard as hell to eat non-sweet foods.  I far, far prefer meats, veggies, eggs, cheeses, fruits (only sweet I actually prefer) etc...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I believe it's a psychological issue along with a physical addiction. Not as bad as heroine, but the amount of sugar in the average American diet is deadly.

I stopped eating sugar a few months ago, and my insulin resistance went away as soon as I did, and now my sensitivity has fully returned. I believe had I not done so, I would have suffered hart disease, or cancer or both topped off with dementia otherwise known as type three diabetes. A bottle of Heinze catchup is 1/3 sugar, it's in almost all processed foods, and sugar is a highly processed material.
I fasted for 18 days in December/January, then went to one meal a day, and now i'm 3 days into my next fast. I haven't felt this physically good in a couple of decades.
View Quote
Please expand on this.  

My Grandmother is in 90s and got dementia around 85.  My dad (her son) is 72 and got dementia about 5 years ago.  The only 'positive' is that he was a plumber and around PVC cement chemicals all his life, and I 'hope' that is the cause, rather than heredity.  As I approach 50, I've been scatter-brained as hell my whole life and forget things constantly. I am terrified of facing this in 20-30 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s real, to be sure.

I had kicked added sugar and refined carbs 100% for about 18 months.  Was eating about 30-50 net carbs a day, all from veg, beans, etc.

The dramatic difference in how I felt and how food tasted was unbelievable. Fuck, even tap water tasted great.

I would never feel hungry. If I missed a meal or two due to schedule or something, it was no problem. Could not eat for a day and I still felt great. No hanger whatsoever lol

Added Sugar and refined carbs are legit poison.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Please expand on this.  

My Grandmother is in 90s and got dementia around 85.  My dad (her son) is 72 and got dementia about 5 years ago.  The only 'positive' is that he was a plumber and around PVC cement chemicals all his life, and I 'hope' that is the cause, rather than heredity.  As I approach 50, I've been scatter-brained as hell my whole life and forget things constantly. I am terrified of facing this in 20-30 years.
View Quote

It's something keto people talk about a lot.

A lot of us think, based on some research which is very limited (who's gonna pay for research showing sugar causes dementia? big ag??), that carb overload, done long enough, causes dementia, which is carbs doing something in the brain similar to what they do (or cause to be done) in the pancreas.

It's a rabbit hole. Do I think it has merit? Yes. Can I prove it? No.

Start here:

https://alz-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/alz.12114#

I have a close friend who has a family member suffering from dementia after decades of high-carb diet. He an I both do keto now, and this is a topic of frequent discussion for us.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Sugar is a real addiction.

Wife and I go "whole 30" a few months out of the year and the first two weeks you become very irritable and generally don't feel so good. Most of that is the result of a sugar addiction.

However , if you can get past the first couple weeks you begin to feel better and the best part is that you sleep soundly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Please expand on this.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please expand on this.  

There's are a lot to. I know alzheimer's and dementia aren't the same thing (although they often go hand in hand), but lack of good quality sleep over long periods of time is also a suspected cause.

Getting the correct amount of deep sleep nightly allows the brain to go through a routine  maintenance cycle where toxins are removed and memories are properly filed away. Like defragging a hard drive each night.

If that cycle is cut short, or interrupted regularly, the issues associated compound over time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#44]
the charlie foundation is an interesting not for profit.

more resources on alzheimers as well as seizures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/charliefoundation.org/am-i-a-candidate/keto-for-alzheimers/
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#45]
He has a screw loose. People buy what they like, health be damned. You can't blame companies because their products are successful.

I have diabetes and the urge to buy butter pecan ice cream is overwhelming sometimes. Each person is responsible for the choses they make, that includes crack heads and alcoholics.

As soon as anyone starts talking Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, Big Anything, I know they have an agenda which will require legislation to get their way. They need to shut up and eat some sugar.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm trying to do just meat and fruit. Feel fantastic. Stopped most beer/alcohol last July.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He has a screw loose. People buy what they like, health be damned. You can't blame companies because their products are successful.

I have diabetes and the urge to buy butter pecan ice cream is overwhelming sometimes. Each person is responsible for the choses they make, that includes crack heads and alcoholics.

As soon as anyone starts talking Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, Big Anything, I know they have an agenda which will require legislation to get their way. They need to shut up and eat some sugar.

View Quote

I would be inclined to agree if the big whatever wasn't actively trying to hook people though.

The ad men of the 50's and 60's started this trend by exploiting human psychology. They can literally get people to buy stuff they know is bad for them, get them hooked, then own them for life.

The sugar and corn lobbies are no different.

That said, with the availability of the internet, no one has an excuse to buy the shit out of ignorance anymore. Kick the habit and quit giving them your money so they can poison you. This goes for everything, tobacco, booze, sugar, whatever.....have some self control.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm trying to do just meat and fruit. Feel fantastic. Stopped most beer/alcohol last July.
View Quote

Why fruit? It's also loaded with sugar.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I have done this before as a self experiment and man I felt better.  Had less stomach trouble and felt better.  I did it for about 3 months and helped in dropping about 20 lbs during that time.  A friend of mine was telling me about it at the time as he was doing a keto diet.  The science behind it is easy enough to understand.  I feel like there’s to much focus on “salt” in diets when it should honestly be more focus on avoiding sugar.  However the food industry knows what makes people crave food and want more of it, it’s sweets and sugar that wins every time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]
It is, it's very real.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top