Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2019 6:39:40 PM EDT
GD seems to have all the wisdom on these kind of topics. My feet sweat like no other during the day, to the point of leaving wet foot prints on my floor when I take my shoes off. I can get over that but my boots start to smell so bad I have to throw them out well before they’re actually worn out. Any secrets to know or am I doomed to deal with the stench?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What socks do you use?

What foot powder do you use?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Peet boot dryer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Boot dryer and wool work socks worked for me and it used to drive me crazy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Boot dryer.  Use it every day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed.  I only wear Merino Wool socks.  Even in summer, when I come inside, my feet will be sweaty and under the ceiling fan they’ll dry in just in a couple mins.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't laugh, but I work with a guy who sprays his feet with under arm deo to keep them dry, wears thin socks and wears boots that breath, but not sure what brands.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Wool socks are a game changer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like the title of a country song.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you wear gortex or waterproof boots?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Foot powder and a boot dryer or floor vent to lay your boots on.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Scrub your feet, change socks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
New boots and Merino socks/footpowder
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s also helpful to swap shoes/boots every other day so one pair can fully dry out.  I’ve also sprayed Lysol in my boots if the stink got ahead of me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Lotrimin AF powder and wool or synthetic socks (depending on the weather) keep my feet and boots from stinking to high heaven.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Only one choice...

Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Lysol (spray in the boots, not on your feet ).  Changing socks throughout the day can help as well.  The recommendations for a boot dryer and swapping pairs each day are good too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I suffer the same as op and I'll let you in on a secret never wear cotton socks , best I have found are merino wool or
a much cheaper version in the way of dress socks the type you'd wear with a suit trust me no more sweaty stinky feet .
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Have at least two pair of boots, never wear the same pair two days in a row.

Get some hand sanitizer and wash your feet with it. It will kill any fungus better then the Athlete Foot crap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
First off, make sure you’re actually scrubbing your feet and not just dragging a wash cloth across them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Two (or more) pairs of boots.  Rotate days.

Goretex or one of the new breathable style boot (if you don't need waterproofing).  You got to get the moisture out of the boot.

Change socks at lunch (preferably not around other people trying to eat)

Boot dryer

Foot powder
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What socks do you use?

What foot powder do you use?
View Quote
I’ve tried like 4 different powders from just baby powder to some anti oder stuff, and just some regular hanes boot socks.

So sounds like I’ll ordering some merino wool. As far as the boot dryer, does that not bake the stink in lol?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you wear gortex or waterproof boots?
View Quote
Current boots are waterproof but that honestly doesn’t seem to change much. Last pair were non insulated non waterproof and they suffered the same fate
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The first thing I'd do is get a 2nd pair of boots and rotate your footwear.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First off, make sure you’re actually scrubbing your feet and not just dragging a wash cloth across them.
View Quote
So you mean the soapy water rinsing to my feet isn’t doing enough?

But yeah I really give them the scrubbing so I don’t think that’s the issue
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Wool socks and boot dryer.
I also put a foot powder in my boots every so often.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wool socks are a game changer.
View Quote
This. Made a huge difference in my work boot stench
I wear nothing but darn tough socks to take care of my feet and help with odor.
It was a little bit of an investment to get 5 pairs and I haven’t bought a pair of socks in years so I feel I am ahead now money wise
If they are extremely wet I put them on the boot dryer
If they get really ripe I’ll put some baby powder in them
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My feet don’t sweat excessively but I have noticed since I went to all leather unlined uppers with leather footbed (redwing heritage) that my boots don’t smell like anything but leather. I remember when I used to wear Merrill’s that fabricy crap on the inside is a smell grabber
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Wool socks

Darn Tough
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Boots that breathe help.

During the summer (if im not in rough terrain), i wear boots that are slip on like cowboy boots, but have a square toe and no crazy heel.

Still waterproof, but they can breathe out the top.

During the winter its insulated loggers. They stink.

Im going to throw them in a tote with an ozone generator. Ill report back on how that works.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Boot dryer and soak your feet in vinegar and hot water. No more stinky feet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#33]
First and foremost, trim your toenails and clean under them. Get all the toe jam out, it's where the stink comes from. Then only wear cotton or wool socks, NO NYLON or NYLON blends. If you have to use powder, Gold Bond is very good. The reason you don't want to wear nylon socks is that they don't breathe or absorb moisture and you will get sweaty feet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. Made a huge difference in my work boot stench
I wear nothing but darn tough socks to take care of my feet and help with odor.
It was a little bit of an investment to get 5 pairs and I haven’t bought a pair of socks in years so I feel I am ahead now money wise
If they are extremely wet I put them on the boot dryer
If they get really ripe I’ll put some baby powder in them
View Quote
Do yourself a favor and by some dress socks the type you wear with a suit , much cheaper than
marino wool socks and do the same thing , foot doctor asked me what powder I use and I told him Zeezorb he said cornstarch does the same thing
cheaper option  than laying out big bucks for fancy foot powder .
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy more than 1 pair of boots and wear them on rotation.

Wearing the same pair day in and day out will funk them up. Gotta give em time to breath.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Foot dryer helps air circulate in boot and remove moisture. If you think germs and bacteria are in boot itself some people will use rubbing alcohol or lysol to try to kill germs. No your feet are not getting clean by you letting go gravity and soapy water do the work. Also but Johnsons foot soap or soak or whatever and use it. Walmart and others carry it. Google Image search the name and it will be an orange box.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Tinactin liquid spray. Wash the boot insoles once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Wool socks and cut down on sugar and yeast consumption.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had the same problem.  Wool socks, help but not eliminate, I put 91% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and mist my boots when I take them off, it also helps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Throw ALL of your stanky cotton/ polyester or whatever the else NOT made from merino wool.
If your feet are as bad as you say, go 100 %merino.
The price is worth it....I’ll repeat the price is worth it.You get comfort on the feet all day.

As others have stated keep them clean and change rotate boots/ shoes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Use an antiperspirant deodorant stick on the bottom of your feet and then good wool socks
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#42]
My python boot was too tight
I couldn't get it off last night
a week went by
and now it's July
i finally got it off
and my girlfriend cried

YOU GOT STINKFOOT
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have at least two pair of boots, never wear the same pair two days in a row.

Get some hand sanitizer and wash your feet with it. It will kill any fungus better then the Athlete Foot crap.
View Quote
Absolutely incorrect.

Hand sanitizer is barely effective against bacteria and archaea. Most any fungus is highly tolerant of alcohol, and many can metabolize it. Hand sanitizer won't do shit except make you feel better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Boot dryer. Once you get work boots smelly you'll never get the smell back out again.

Boot dryer is the best thing you can get to go with some boots.

If it is your feet that is the problem go to wally world and get yourself some Johnsons foot soap, stuff comes in an old looking box.. you'll know it when you see it. soak your feet in it.

Did I mention the boot dryer? Get the Peet brand one. I'm telling you this cheaply made overpriced SOB is the best thing you can have for boots... or any type of shoe period that you might get wet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Absolutely incorrect.

Hand sanitizer is barely effective against bacteria and archaea. Most any fungus is highly tolerant of alcohol, and many can metabolize it. Hand sanitizer won't do shit except make you feel better.
View Quote
If it's made with witch hazel, not alcohol, then it will kill fungus.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Good socks

Foot Powder....when you pop them boots off when you get home, POWDER UP THEM BOOTS NOT JUST YO FOOTS!!!!

Powder your feet and boots in the morning before you put your socks on.

Spare boots is a great idea...rotating and drying is a smart move.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
GD seems to have all the wisdom on these kind of topics. My feet sweat like no other during the day, to the point of leaving wet foot prints on my floor when I take my shoes off. I can get over that but my boots start to smell so bad I have to throw them out well before they’re actually worn out. Any secrets to know or am I doomed to deal with the stench?
View Quote

Shave any hair present.
Use surgical scrub (Hibiclens) twice a day for about a week.

Do not rinse after the final application of scrub.
It needs time to work so just let it dry on.
DO NOT allow it to get into your eyes.

The damage to the cornea is permanent. From even a tiny amount.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely incorrect.

Wife loves witch-hazel. She makes sure to keep at least one bottle in the bathroom cabinet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't laugh, but I work with a guy who sprays his feet with under arm deo to keep them dry, wears thin socks and wears boots that breath, but not sure what brands.
View Quote
I'm not laughing. This stuff works great for keeping non-armpit body areas less funky.

Amazon Product
  • Good Protection, and Great smell
  • Long-Lasting, and Goes on clear

Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Dry is the goal. Don't wear cotton socks, they suck balls and hold moisture, wear polyester if your poor like me or wool if you have money. Take your boots off when you get home and use other shoes so they can dry, use a dryer if you have the means. Use foot powder like gold bond to cut down on smell a lot. Once in a while I'll pop out the insole and spray the boot and insole with lysol to kill some odor build up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top