Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
81 was the last year for Gen-X.

The 80s were high school and Army for me.  90s were college and then more Army.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread makes me want to cry with nostalgia.  Born in '78.  The 80s were a glorious time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Dad got bored this past winter and was going through what little stuff is leftover from when we were kids. He put this together using pieces from a few different racetracks.

https://i.imgur.com/8B0Oo1y.jpg
View Quote

I remember being home sick from school one time, my dad stayed home from work with me.  Come to think of it he must have been pissed.

Neighbor put out a HUGE box of slot cars, it must have been 10 tracks worth, spent the whole day with a brillo pad.  It was epic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]

I had the same skateboard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Dad got bored this past winter and was going through what little stuff is leftover from when we were kids. He put this together using pieces from a few different racetracks.

View Quote

I have all of my HO slot cars from when I was a kid. Still break them out once in a while to play with them with my daughter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Fulllll Pulllllllll...

I have this set and some others stored somewhere at my folks place.  I loved Stompers.

STOMPER TRUCK PULLING THE SLED!!!

Still have this one too:

(not my pic)

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]

I spent tons of money in all three of those stores....

ETA...crazy shit 101...I skipped from over the air radio to digital music online.
While I did record a few home made cassettes, I never purchased a prerecorded one.
Same with CD's...

This fucking thread is making me feel old, oh wait !!!!

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one of those stompers back when they first came out. They were real big in 1980. I must have aged out of them after that as I don't recall them being so big when we moved in 81.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have all of my HO slot cars from when I was a kid. Still break them out once in a while to play with them with my daughter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real nice, I wish we were more responsible with our stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom saved just about all of my toys and my kids play with them when they visit grandparents.

But considering how rough my brother and I were on things they’re just about all broken in some way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had one of those stompers back when they first came out. They were real big in 1980. I must have aged out of them after that as I don't recall them being so big when we moved in 81.
View Quote

Stompers History

1980 and 1981 lines were the best.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]

I miss the 80s, Class of "83"
Now;
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Had a buddy that worked at B. Dalton in high school. They'd tear the covers off unsold books and throw them away, he'd bring boxes of them to me. I'd weed through them and keep anything that looked interesting. That was the beginning of my "book collection", such as it is. I still have a few of them floating around somewhere. Hadn't thought of that in decades.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]

An ode to the 80's

Hobosexual - VHS or Sharon Stone (Live on KEXP)

Live version
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember the old surplus catalogs like US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermasters? Loved getting those in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whew boy.  A Nash.  They were considered as bad as my Variflex (Sears or JcPenny carried them, can't remember).  I had to save up enough money to eventually buy a deck/trucks/wheels that wouldn't get laughed at by my peers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whew boy.  A Nash.  They were considered as bad as my Variflex (Sears or JcPenny carried them, can't remember).  I had to save up enough money to eventually buy a deck/trucks/wheels that wouldn't get laughed at by my peers.

Did someone say Nash and Variflex?  Still got 'em.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Another '82 birth year "Gen X er" chiming in.

Whatever moron academic said X ends with '80 is just plain wrong. We had the same experience; took off in the morning on my bike with the neighborhood kids with maybe a water bottle, back by dinner. Parents had a phone tree to make sure we didn't spend more than maybe an hour in video games, and that was on an NES. Had tree forts made of salvaged/stolen wood and nails from construction sites around the area. Fell off bike? Mom poured hydrogen peroxide on it until it stopped bubbling and didn't give a shit if we screamed... And then we went back out, rebuilt the ramp, and did it again.

Shit changed around 85 birth year. I was a swimmer, my senior year we started having parents not letting their little darlings try out for the high school team because we might haze them (a few wedgies, maybe a swirly or two if they deserved it). That's when the real "participant award" brigade began to take hold. Maybe different in other areas (central PA here, so maybe a little behind the times)

Funny thing, my wife is an '84 birth year, and she's like me. Oddly enough, her sister and our brother in law, both '82 birth year, are faggoty 'in touch with your feelings' millennials. I'm stuck in a beach house with them and their spoiled brat children this week. Strange how families turn out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Though the 90s was the last of the great decades, the 80s was truly the greatest of them all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Though the 90s was the last of the great decades, the 80s was truly the greatest of them all.
View Quote

After the 80s, the 90s was downright depressing. I usually refer to the 90s as the Whiney 90s.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a day goes by that I don't feel blessed to have grown up in the 80's. I would give up all my tomorrows for one day in the 1980's, and I'm dead serious.

"I wanna go back and do it all over but I can't go back I know....... "  Eddie Money
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Being born in the 60’s, a child in the 70’s and a graduating HS and college in the 80’s was amazing.

Your life wasn’t electronically connected to anything and you didn’t listen to people complain about how hard it was or what they were offended by.

You worried about the Russians and AIDS in the 80’s.  

You looked forward to going places and doing things. The mall, the beach, and empty lots with music, beer, a fire, drunk girls.

Grocery stores used paper bags.

8-track, went to cassette tape and then CD’s.

MTV played videos and looped every 12 hrs.

GPZ900R

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/IQrMVbk.jpg
View Quote

I thought my Executioner sucked! Lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought my Executioner sucked! Lol
View Quote
We had the ones posted already...
I have up and we started surfing. But..I dislike sharks lol.
So I turned to sports and classic cars....
Got my 65 mustang in 94/95 for only 2400$ .

So much cool but lane shit back then.

But over all.
No one cared....as posted...it was Russia, aids,Crack that was gonna kill us all lol.
I was a teen by the mid 80s...

Me and a close family friend since 2 yrs old. Sit a talk when camping.

Us: ( to our kids) hey...go play over there...you have 20k acres to play...not 5ft feet from us.
Kids( 10 to 15)-  blank stare...and they move 50ft away.
Us:  remember our folks gave us a whistle...left me and you in charge of our 5 sisters/brothers..and said check in every few hours by blowing the whistle and be back by noon for lunch....6 fir dinner ....

Both- yup....they could relax camping ( as we top off our scotch)...
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whatever moron academic said X ends with '80 is just plain wrong. We had the same experience; took off in the morning on my bike with the neighborhood kids with maybe a water bottle, back by dinner. Parents had a phone tree to make sure we didn't spend more than maybe an hour in video games, and that was on an NES. Had tree forts made of salvaged/stolen wood and nails from construction sites around the area. Fell off bike? Mom poured hydrogen peroxide on it until it stopped bubbling and didn't give a shit if we screamed... And then we went back out, rebuilt the ramp, and did it again.

Shit changed around 85 birth year. I was a swimmer, my senior year we started having parents not letting their little darlings try out for the high school team because we might haze them (a few wedgies, maybe a swirly or two if they deserved it). That's when the real "participant award" brigade began to take hold. Maybe different in other areas (central PA here, so maybe a little behind the times)

Funny thing, my wife is an '84 birth year, and she's like me. Oddly enough, her sister and our brother in law, both '82 birth year, are faggoty 'in touch with your feelings' millennials. I'm stuck in a beach house with them and their spoiled brat children this week. Strange how families turn out.
View Quote

I began to notice changes right before Clinton got elected.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My mom saved just about all of my toys and my kids play with them when they visit grandparents.

But considering how rough my brother and I were on things they’re just about all broken in some way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I know that’s 100% in tact and working is our Intellevision video game system.

Still got maybe 50 games for it and you don’t even have to blow in the cartridge to get them to work!

eta: pic

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Is AIDS what cured acid rain?

National Geographic told me it was melting statues and shit, then ::poof::

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 90s was a bit of a slide downhill in terms of parents becoming overprotective and kids being sissies.

9/11 sent it into overdrive. Everyone freaked the fuck out. Not saying there wasn't a good reason, to a point, but while me and my friends sat in dorm rooms thinking we were all getting drafted and sent to war like our grandfathers, we got something different entirely...
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's amazing that you've still got them.

A blast from the past no doubt.

Riding a Nash or Variflex with the skater crowd was virtually guaranteed to result in being called a "poser".  To my young mind, there was nothing worse than being labeled a poser in the skate crew.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Don’t forget Radon was just as dangerous as AIDS and the Russians in the 80’s too. I remember the protests about stopping the Radon dump sites where trucks would dump contaminated loads of dirt. There were a few in my town.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't forget Radon was just as dangerous as AIDS and the Russians in the 80's too. I remember the protests about stopping the Radon dump sites where trucks would dump contaminated loads of dirt. There were a few in my town.
View Quote

Don't forget " explicit lyrics "
Was gonna be the downfall of society.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, ummm, about that…
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget Radon was just as dangerous as AIDS and the Russians in the 80's too. I remember the protests about stopping the Radon dump sites where trucks would dump contaminated loads of dirt. There were a few in my town.

Oh yeah, I remember the outrage over bad words.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Wednesday night youth groups where they would warn us of the dangers the Satanic and subliminal messaging of bands like KISS, Motley Crue, and oh my gosh, the Eagles’ Hotel California.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#35]
'83 Xennial checking in.  What a time to be alive!

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Born in 76, Class of 94. Still rockin
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well....we aren't exactly in utopia now and criminal gangs run rampant, which was glamorized by music, so I'm not sure if there isn't some basis to it.
Oh yeah, Fuck the PMRC lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Gen X checking in.

We are probably the best generation ever, and are in a unique position these days.

We are old enough to know and remember the old ways of doing things, but young enough to embrace and understand technology advances without becoming dependent on them.

Boomers don't really understand tech and millennials can't function without it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a straight up Nash.  Plain wood with black grit forming the Nash text logo right on the top side.

I was not a skateboarder, but it was quite popular with a few friends.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The nuns specifically forbid us to listen to "The Logical Song" in 8th grade (1979).  I still don't know why, except it deals with education.  All it did was cause me to listen to it intently trying to figure out what was so salacious.  And I hated the song, still do.

Just occurred to me, I started high school at the beginning of the 80s and met my wife and we were expecting a child at the end of them.  What a great fucking decade.
View Quote
I didn't discover the entire Supertramp discography until the mid to late '80s.  While I loved and still love The Logical Song, Supertramp has a LOT of really amazing, creative, intelligent and downright beautiful songs.

I'm sure that puts me in a minority here, but I still love it.

Also, that Nash von_landstuhl posted, that was almost my exact one except it had no blue paint and mine had red clear wheels.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The 90s was a bit of a slide downhill in terms of parents becoming overprotective and kids being sissies.

9/11 sent it into overdrive. Everyone freaked the fuck out. Not saying there wasn't a good reason, to a point, but while me and my friends sat in dorm rooms thinking we were all getting drafted and sent to war like our grandfathers, we got something different entirely...
View Quote

Yea, the patriot act. I digress
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Remember these?

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

We used to take our Stompers wire them up to a electric train controllers and you can have variable power as long as you had enough wire you could go however far until the wire ran out. We made up a sled and would add nuts and bolts to it like a truck pull.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had a straight up Nash.  Plain wood with black grit forming the Nash text logo right on the top side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were popular because they could be bought at Kmart or Walmart.  Variflex was sold in WalMart and Sears.  

I saved up lawn mowing money and managed to cobble together a better skateboard.  I know it rolled alot better than my Variflex (GNS or German bearings maybe?).

When Gleaming the Cube came out, I knew then that I needed hard wheels to go faster.  Also had to find a friend with a drained pool so we could hurt ourselves much faster/better.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Gen X checking in.

We are probably the best generation ever, and are in a unique position these days.

We are old enough to know and remember the old ways of doing things, but young enough to embrace and understand technology advances without becoming dependent on them.

Boomers don't really understand tech and millennials can't function without it.

View Quote

Never thought of it that way. Great point.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the true hard end of the line would have to be 1987. First websites came on in around 1993 ish. By roughly 1995, the internet had gotten it's fingers into everything, and that was "end of line" for the analog world, when you had to actively seek connection to have it. 2007 straight up nuked any shreds of the default disconnected world, thanks to crapple mainstreaming the adult pocket pacifier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, ummm, about that…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ummm, about that…

Now you can't even find content without having to put up with f-bombs every 10 seconds.

Outside of rated G, it doesn't even exist anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I forgot what this shade of denim is but sort of miss it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I forgot what this shade of denim is but sort of miss it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/CB231F41-D0B1-404E-8603-25E8C0AA1E3D_jpe-2333258.JPG
View Quote

Pretty sure they called that "stone washed".

I remember getting Levi's 501s that weren't preshrunk. Things were like cardboard until the were washed a few times.
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top