Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 242
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need Bama to lose but I don't want to play a pissed off Bama team next week.

Rough them up Vols.

HAIL STATE!!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Maybe Miss St and the pirate will be riled up after getting beat up by Kentucky…….
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm a big believer in giving head coaches a minimum of 4 years.
View Quote
I was a 4 years to find out guy, but at this point in the season after 3 straight ugly losses,  I've truly come to hate that motherfucker Norvell. So much mediocrity and excuse making to still have a losing record. No real improvement in recruiting or on field play. FSU is heading in the exact same direction as Nebraska, but the AD is too scared to make the adult decision, and hit the reset button. I know it was harder for Nebraska to do it because Frost was a hometown hero, and valued Alum.
Sadly, we are in a very similar situation as Auburn after bad coaching hires. They need to get rid of Harsin before the ship really goes down in flames.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This better be Gundy's annual fuck up game. We play one every damn year.

If I was O-State's OC, I'd hang my head in shame. It seems he was trying to run time off the clock with a 2 TD lead instead of keeping his foot on the pedal and burying TCU.
View Quote

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was a 4 years to find out guy, but at this point in the season after 3 straight ugly losses,  I've truly come to hate that motherfucker Norvell. So much mediocrity and excuse making to still have a losing record. No real improvement in recruiting or on field play. FSU is heading in the exact same direction as Nebraska, but the AD is too scared to make the adult decision, and hit the reset button. I know it was harder for Nebraska to do it because Frost was a hometown hero, and valued Alum.
Sadly, we are in a very similar situation as Auburn after bad coaching hires. They need to get rid of Harsin before the ship really goes down in flames.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

who would replace him?
View Quote
Mark Stoops should have been hired instead of Norvell in the first place, and Kentucky has basically reached its ceiling.( He was our DC 2010-2012)
Dave Clawson-what he has done with a nothing-burger program like WF is remarkable. Even Doeren at NCeST has been a much better coach than the trash currently disgracing the house that Bobby Bowden built. The list is pretty long as to who would be an upgrade over Norvell.
Matt Rhule would be another great option even though it didn't work out in the NFL. He brought Baylor back from really bad times.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

4 10 top 20 teams played each other.  These were the final scores:

41-17

52-49

43-40

43-42
View Quote

24-9

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

4 top 20 teams played each other.  These were the final scores:

41-17

52-49

43-40

43-42
View Quote

Seems like one team was highly under ranked based on those performances
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

who would replace him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?

That’s the million dollar question.
That would be coach #3 in 5 years. They are going to find themselves in that vicious coaching change cycle. There are no guarantees. If there were schools would have already hired them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mark Stoops should have been hired instead of Norvell in the first place, and Kentucky has basically reached its ceiling.( He was our DC 2010-2012)
Dave Clawson-what he has done with a nothing-burger program like WF is remarkable. Even Doeren at NCeST has been a much better coach than the trash currently disgracing the house that Bobby Bowden built. The list is pretty long as to who would be an upgrade over Norvell.
Matt Rhule would be another great option even though it didn't work out in the NFL. He brought Baylor back from really bad times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?

If I were a bigger school, I’d be giving Kansas football HC a LONG, close look.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?

dude from kansas state too. he's done a good job with what they have since joining them from NDSU. it'd be interesting to see what he could do with a bigger program with more resources.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What a great day of college football.
View Quote

Hard disagree.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SDSU beat the Bison.
View Quote

Gross.

A tale of two halves. Bison also should have beaten the U. of Arizona Mildcats.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?

The flavor of the day. The list is long. Sumlin, Herman, Fleck, Matt Campbell. All the hottest names. Success is temporary and fleeting in college football. And this is not meant as a negative directed at him. I love the fact he’s turned Kansas around. We just haven’t seen the hot name of the day be successful at that next level yet. It’s a helluva mountain to climb. Sabans success and the 4 team playoff have only made it worse. Maybe the transfer portal will add some parity and the expanded 12 team playoff will allow programs to feel they had a pretty successful season when now if you aren’t one of four you failed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SDSU has our number. Always has.

View Quote

Kind of like saying: "Minnesota sucks and always will". Hate to agree with you on that but based on the Goofers last two gridiron performances, it's hard to make an argument that PJ Fleck is anything but a mediocre coach with a schtick that is getting tired.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kind of like saying: "Minnesota sucks and always will". Hate to agree with you on that but based on the Goofers last two gridiron performances, it's hard to make an argument that PJ Fleck is anything but a mediocre coach with a schtick that is getting tired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SDSU has our number. Always has.

There comes a point though that no matter how good a coach you are, you have to have the athletes to consistently compete on a regular basis and at the next level. That’s where the statistics prove recruiting does that and Minnesota just isn’t there.

Look at the schools that are constantly competing for Top10 rankings, playoff spots and national championships. They all recruit top 1-10 year in and year out. Heck most are top 5 in recruiting.

Now before any of the GD geniuses throw darts, it’s not the only requirement for success. That’s evidenced by A&M and the Horns. They both recruit just fine. They just haven’t broke over that hump for whatever reason. But recruiting is a requirement for sustained success. Yes, anyone can strike lightning occasionally but success will be fleeting if you aren’t recruiting at a high level.  

Fleck might be all world somewhere like Ohio St or Michigan with their resources. Gundy at Okie St is another. He’s done wonders there year in and year our playing little brother to Oklahoma where all the big name recruits sign to play. Someone needs to hit him over the head with a big ass bag of money and see what he can do somewhere where resources are virtually unlimited.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There comes a point though that no matter how good a coach you are, you have to have the athletes to consistently compete on a regular basis and at the next level. That’s where the statistics prove recruiting does that and Minnesota just isn’t there.

Look at the schools that are constantly competing for Top10 rankings, playoff spots and national championships. They all recruit top 1-10 year in and year out. Heck most are top 5 in recruiting.

Now before any of the GD geniuses throw darts, it’s not the only requirement for success. That’s evidenced by A&M and the Horns. They both recruit just fine. They just haven’t broke over that hump for whatever reason. But recruiting is a requirement for sustained success. Yes, anyone can strike lightning occasionally but success will be fleeting if you aren’t recruiting at a high level.  

Fleck might be all world somewhere like Ohio St or Michigan with their resources. Gundy at Okie St is another. He’s done wonders there year in and year our playing little brother to Oklahoma where all the big name recruits sign to play. Someone needs to hit him over the head with a big ass bag of money and see what he can do somewhere where resources are virtually unlimited.
View Quote

I will say that after watching the Tenn/Bama game, I was definitely thinking of how much 4 and 5 star talent must be on the field for BOTH teams. Incredible speed as well from the WR's.

Speaking of Gundy down at Okie State.... I still love this rant:

Mike Gundy's 'I'm a man, I'm 40' rant at Oklahoma State [FULL] | ESPN Archives
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I will say that after watching the Tenn/Bama game, I was definitely thinking of how much 4 and 5 star talent must be on the field for BOTH teams. Incredible speed as well from the WR's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3oXkDPKbM
View Quote

That rant is still epic and still very relevant.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“I’M A MAN!  I’M 40!”

One of the best rants college football has had in the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 4 & 5 star numbers are quite staggering, especially the difference in quantity/quality.
Looking at 247 sports ...
Attachment Attached File

bama's recruiting numbers eclipsed UT's.  

This does not even take into account the number of recruits that UT lost immediately following the coaching change.  I read an article about that and the numbers were staggering.

This probably does not take into account the portal losses or gains either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol definitely one of the all time great coaching rants
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The 4 & 5 star numbers are quite staggering, especially the difference in quantity/quality.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/247sports_jpg-2565105.JPG

This does not even take into account the number of recruits that UT lost immediately following the coaching change.  I read an article about that and the numbers were staggering.

View Quote

It was around 14 or so and most of them were starters and are staying at their new schools.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The portal is definitely having an impact this year. Seems like every game I watch you hear the commentators talking about guys making big plays having transferred in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]

NCST losing their starting QB for the season is a killer.  They may still have a decent season
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

who would replace him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who would replace him?

Scott Frost is available.
Do they allow alcohol in the stadium?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I still don't get Ohio State @ #2.  

Every team in the Top 10 has played at least one team ranked in Top 25....except Ohio State.  Tennessee and Michigan, hell, even Clemson & TCU, all have better wins (and it isn't even close).  Ohio State's best win has been in week one....against a team that just lost to a 4-loss Stanford.  At home.  It was Stanford's first win against an FBS opponent in the last 11 games.  Looking at their schedule, they played exactly one team with more than 3 wins....Toledo @ 4-2.

Do I think Ohio State is Top 10?  Sure.  #2?  Absolutely not, not at this point in the season (against that schedule).
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Every team in the Top 10 has played at least one team ranked in Top 25....except Ohio State.  Tennessee and Michigan, hell, even Clemson & TCU, all have better wins (and it isn't even close).  Ohio State's best win has been in week one....against a team that just lost to a 4-loss Stanford.  At home.  It was Stanford's first win against an FBS opponent in the last 11 games.  Looking at their schedule, they played exactly one team with more than 3 wins....Toledo @ 4-2.

Do I think Ohio State is Top 10?  Sure.  #2?  Absolutely not, not at this point in the season (against that schedule).
View Quote

Texas Tech has played 5 ranked teams and had a bye week
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Builds character
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oddly enough, even with 3-losses, Texas Tech has more wins against Top 20 teams than Ohio State.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He did a hell of a job selling that one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oddly enough, even with 3-losses, Texas Tech has more wins against Top 20 teams than Ohio State.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2-3 is against top 25 teams is pretty solid for a program in rubble
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be negative towards Tech but I’m going to take a swag and say Texas and NC St don’t end up top 25 at years end. Ewers didn’t look good yesterday and a team with any offense at all and a decent defense will beat them. There’s a good chance they go 2-3 from here out. I don’t think NC State was ever that good in all reality. And now with their starting QB out they will struggle mightily.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Last week 3 top 15 teams had 1 loss.  2 of those teams were beaten by Clemson.  Rankings still don't mean squat right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last week 3 top 15 teams had 1 loss.  2 of those teams were beaten by Clemson.  Rankings still don't mean squat right now.

Agree.
The meat of conference schedules are starting now with most cupcakes in the rearview mirror. Exactly why the playoff committee waits until week 8 to start ranking. That was really insightful of them to do that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ohio the new Notre Dame?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Rankings still don't mean squat right now.
View Quote

Actually, they do.  Highly ranked teams, who keep winning (despite the level of competition), rarely drop....and if they do drop, it isn't much.  Having an artificially inflated ranking based on substandard competition is an unfair advantage, and makes a difference when there are only four spots in the playoff.  Be honest, is there anyone else in the Top 15 who you wouldn't bet would be undefeated playing the exact same schedule as OSU right now?  

That being said, there is a lot that will change in the next few weeks....but Clemson and Ohio State/Michigan clearly have the easiest road.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Penn State lose to Minnesota, and may not even stay ranked after Ohio State....that would leave Ohio State playing one ranked team (Michigan).

Most of this should shake out over the next month, but there is no denying some teams have a much easier path than others....and starting with a higher rank makes the path that much easier.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Ohio States sos absolutely sucks. They only have ranked Penn St and Michigan left. But if they do win out they’re in unless we have have 5 undefeated P5 teams which is highly unlikely. An undefeated UCLA would likely be the odd man out in that situation.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wolverines handedly defeated PSU who had the 5th ranked defense in FBS. OSU currently sits as the 15th defense. They won’t be #2 for long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wolverines handedly defeated PSU who had the 5th ranked defense in FBS.
View Quote

Penn State's schedule is almost as bad as Ohio State....combined record of teams they've beaten is 15-19, and the only ranked team they've played beat that *ahem* defense 41-17 (and gave up 400+ yards rushing).
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wolverines handedly defeated PSU who had the 5th ranked defense in FBS. OSU currently sits as the 15th defense. They won't be #2 for long.
View Quote

OSU has had it their way for 20 years. They're due for a long slump.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not to be negative towards Tech but I’m going to take a swag and say Texas and NC St don’t end up top 25 at years end. Ewers didn’t look good yesterday and a team with any offense at all and a decent defense will beat them. There’s a good chance they go 2-3 from here out. I don’t think NC State was ever that good in all reality. And now with their starting QB out they will struggle mightily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, TEXAS still has Sark at the helm, so 0-5 to close out the season is NOT out of the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Five (5) games featuring top 25 ranked team matchups this week.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

A couple of historical stories about the series-
Before he was a record-setting coach at Alabama, Paul Bryant was a tough, hard-nosed left end for the Crimson Tide and played one of the best games of his career against the Vols. Both teams were down that year, but the Bryant legend was kindled in that game when he played despite having a cracked fibula that he suffered the week before. That same mental and physical toughness would go on to define his teams at Alabama. After the game, Bryant famously said, "It was one little bone."

The initial Alabama-Tennessee game in 1901 featured fans rushing the field in Birmingham to protest, but was called due to darkness with the score tied 6-6.The 1913 game ended with a 6-0 score in favor of Alabama, but Tennessee never forgot the Crimson Tide’s first All-American, Bully Van de Graaff.
“His ear had a real nasty cut, and it was dangling from his head, bleeding badly,” Tennessee lineman Bull Bayer later recalled. “A referee told him to leave the field to get medical attention.  He grabbed his own ear and tried to yank it from his head. His teammates stopped him and the managers bandaged him.
“Man, was that guy a tough one. He wanted to tear off his own ear so he could keep playing.”
Page / 242
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top